• Re: kermit protocol in syncterm

From David Goodwin@1:103/705 to alt.bbs.synchronet on Wednesday, September 13, 2023 14:04:39
    From Newsgroup: alt.bbs.synchronet

On Saturday, August 19, 2023 at 9:18:14 AM UTC+12, MRO wrote:
    To: Nightfox
    Re: Re: kermit protocol in syncterm
    By: Nightfox to Christian Sacks on Fri Aug 18 2023 10:19 am
    search for Kermit the other day though and read something that Kermit has been udpated to keep up with current standards in file transfer protocols, and that there is also now a Kermit telnet/SSH software program.. I didn't know that.
    yup i tried it yesterday. i couldnt get it to do cp437 but i only spent a min with it.
    The command you want is: "set term remote cp437" or, in the version of C-Kermit that doesn't run in the windows console, the rightmost drop-down on the toolbar is where you can pick the charset to use.
    For connecting to a BBS you'd probably want to switch the terminal emulator from linux (the default) to ansi-bbs anyway. When you do that, C-Kermit for Windows
    will automatically switch the remote character set to cp437. You can either use the
    left-most drop-down on the toolbar or do a "set term type ansi-bbs".
    (I'm the maintainer of the Windows version of C-Kermit and when I need to test it on vintage windows I tend to point it at a synchronet BBS though the fonts on vintage windows don't do nearly as good a job as on modern windows - screenshots here: https://www.kermitproject.org/ckwscreenshots/ )
    --- Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NewsLink 1.114
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)