• [KB6NU] From my inbox: how transistors work, texting device, DEFCON tal

From KB6NU via rec.radio.amateur.moderat@1:396/4 to All on Friday, March 18, 2022 10:52:54
    From: rec-radio-amateur-moderated-request@panix.com (KB6NU via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin)

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

///////////////////////////////////////////
    From my inbox: how transistors work, texting device, DEFCON talks

Posted: 18 Mar 2022 07:48 AM PDT https://www.kb6nu.com/from-my-inbox-how-transistors-work-texting-device-defcon-talks/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email

Understanding Basic Electronics

The Long Island CW Club has turned into much more than a place for hams to learn Morse Code. It really is an online amateur radio club. Their Zoom
    rooms host talks on a wide variety of topics, and their mailing list has become a forum for less experienced hams to seek out the advice of those
    who, shall we say, have been in the hobby for a while.

A recent thread, Understanding Basic Electronics, caught my eye. It has a number or resources to help the new ham learn electronics. Of those, theres one I really like, How Transistors Work A Simple Explanation. It has explanations for how both bipolar junction transistors and field-effect transistors (FETs) work.

Chatter uses LoRa to send encrypted texts

Chatter is an amusing little device that uses LoRa to send encrypted text messages. Ive often thought that a device like this, but operating on the amateur radio bands, would be a killer app for amateur radio.

This particular device is kind of expensive at $132. Not only that, it
    comes as a kit that you have to put together yourself. Both those being the case, I dont see this becoming a big seller. It is amusing, though.

I havent checked in with the Ham Messenger developer lately, so I dont know how that project is going. For folks with a license, though, Id still recommend that that is the way to go. Of course, since Ham Messenger uses amateur radio frequencies, the messages cant be encrypted. It seems a bit silly that you can encrypt using an unlicensed service, while you cant with amateur radio, but thems the rules.

From Southgate ARC:
    Talks from the Ham Radio Village at DEF CON 29 released

The amateur radio talks given in the Ham Radio Village at last years DEF
    CON 29 event are now available on YouTube. The talks include:

An Introduction to RF Test Equipment by Kurtis Kopf K6GG
    Amateur Radio Mesh Networking by Tyler Gardner KI7ODK
    Spectrum Coordination for Amateur Radio by Bryan Fields W9CR
    Getting started with low power/long distance comms (QRP) by Eric Escobar
    W6WD
    How to Contact the ISS with a $30 Radio by Gregg Horton K6XSS

Watch the talks on the DEFCON YouTube channel.

The post From my inbox: how transistors work, texting device, DEFCON talks appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.

///////////////////////////////////////////
    Booklet outlines WRC 23 activities

Posted: 17 Mar 2022 08:37 AM PDT https://www.kb6nu.com/booklet-outlines-wrc-23-activities/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email

The International Telecommunication Union, ITU, has just released their WRC-23 booklet. Available in six different languages, It can be freely downloaded from https://www.itu.int/wrc-23/booklet-wrc-23/.

The booklet lists 44 resolutions that WRC will be addressing during the conference, which will be held in the United Arab Emirates (either in Abu Dhabi or Dubai), from 20 November to 15 December 2023. 9 of the 44 resolutions mention the Amateur Radio Service in some way, with the
    majority of them having to do with frequency bands in the microwave region.

Im always kind of surprised at the attention that amateur radio gets at
    WRC, considering that the ITU has to administer all of the various radio services. In the preface to the booklet, the Director of the ITU Radiocommunication Bureau, Mario Maniewicz, even gives a shout out to
    amateur radio: ΓÇ£It has been prepared following the past initiatives of the International Amateur Radio Union (www.iaru.org) and in order to maintain this good tradition to better assist the ITU membership in the preparations for the conference.ΓÇ¥

The post Booklet outlines WRC 23 activities appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
    * Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)