• [KB6NU] Shining a light on Museum Ships Weekend

From KB6NU via rec.radio.amateur.moderat@1:396/4 to All on Tuesday, June 07, 2022 17:12:11
    From: rec-radio-amateur-moderated-request@panix.com (KB6NU via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin)

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

///////////////////////////////////////////
    Shining a light on Museum Ships Weekend

Posted: 06 Jun 2022 07:04 AM PDT https://www.kb6nu.com/shining-a-light-on-museum-ships-weekend/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email

Saturday and Sunday marked the 2022 edition of Museum Ships Weekend. Sponsored by the Battleship New Jersey Radio Station, its a great special event. This year, 89 ships were on the air, and I was fortunate to be able
    to participate from the Lightship Huron (LV-103, ARLHS USA-394), courtesy
    of the Eastern Michigan Amateur Radio Club.
    The Lightship Huron was commissioned in 1921 as Lightship Number 103 and operated primarily in southern Lake Huron near Port Huron and the mouth of the St. Clair River.

The Huron is located in Pine Grove Park in Port Huron, MI. The park is located on the St. Clair River, just south of Lake Huron. The park itself
    is quite historic.

On Sunday, I joined Stan, AC8W; Trisha, KD8AZA; and Tony, KE8BIT. The four
    of us kept the ships station, NM8GS, all day long. Stan and James, NO8RF, worked the station on Saturday as well, mostly on 20 meters. I took two
    turns on Sunday, operating phone the first time and CW the second.
    Original radio gear aboard the Lightship Huron.

The call sign for the station is NM8GS. The reason for this odd call sign
    is that the  original call sign for the Huron was NMGS. , the ship held
    when it was in operation. The ship still has the original radio equipment (see right), but unfortunately, its not currently working. Instead, the
    club has installed an Icom IC-725 in the radio shack. The antenna is a 20-meter dipole strung between the ships masts.

Band conditions were pretty good on Sunday, and Stan said that they were
    even better on Saturday. There was a lot of activity, too. Rarely did we
    have to call CQ. Most of the time we were managing pileups, both on phone
    and CW.

According to Stan, MN8GS made 432 contacts, including 401 phone contacts
    and 31 CW contacts. We worked station in 43 states and 6 provinces.  In addition, we made 7 DX contacts, including Bermuda, Cuba, France, Netherlands, Portugal, Puerto Rico, and Slovenia. NM8GS worked 16 museum ships, 17 if you count the USS   Texas Battleship which wasnt registered.

Overall, I had a great time. It was my first time aboard the Huron, and I
    got a nice tour from the docent when I wasnt operating. And, not only did I get to take part in the museum ship special event, I was able to activate a lighthouse as well.

The post Shining a light on Museum Ships Weekend appeared first on KB6NUs
    Ham Radio Blog.

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
    * Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)