• Daylight Savings Time

From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to All on Tuesday, March 15, 2022 18:20:17
    Apparently the US Senate has voted (unanimously!) to end the twice-yearly
    time changes. Now it just needs to clear the House and President.

But whether you agree with the idea of no more time changes (I do!) or not, wait... there's more.

The Senate decided to make Daylight Savings Time permanent.

If you don't immediately see the implications of that, let me explain. Greenwich Mean Time, the time in Greenwich England, has an offset of 0; all
    of the other time zones are some offset from that. West of GMT is the western tip of Africa and the very east coast of Greenland, with an offset of GMT-1. The next zone west is eastern Greenland, offset GMT-2. The next zone after
    that is central Greenland and easter South America, offset GMT-3.

But hold onto your hats for this next part:

The next zone west of GMT-3 would be western Greenland, central South
    America, and the eastern US and eastern Canada. HOWEVER, because the US is looking at standardizing Daylight Savings time, these portions of Canada and South America would be GMT-4, but the eastern US would be GMT-3! And the discrepancy would continue across the the next *8* time zones, or the width
    of the United States through Alaska!

How could the US Senate be so right, but at the same time so very, very wrong?!?

Jeff.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Cold War Computing BBS (1:387/26)
  • From Shaun Buzza@1:229/110 to Jeff Thiele on Tuesday, March 15, 2022 22:16:07
    HOWEVER, because the US
    is looking at standardizing Daylight Savings time, these portions of Canada and South America would be GMT-4, but the eastern US would be GMT-3! And the discrepancy would continue across the the next *8* time zones, or the width of the United States through Alaska!

That's an issue for us up here, too. I remember this being debated recently at a provincial level here in Ontario, and the outcome was that Quebec, and at least the states connected to Ontario (my US geography sucks, so I won't pretend to know which ones), would also have to make the same decision.

I would assume, if it were to be considered at the national level, it would
    be effectively the same; we'd only do it if you guys did as well.

Honestly, I hope this is where the closeness of our two countries can be an asset(rather than a pain in the asset)...I would personally be very happy to see an end to the DST farce.

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

* Origin: PiBBS (1:229/110)
  • From Shaun Buzza@1:229/110 to Jeff Thiele on Tuesday, March 15, 2022 22:47:51
    GMT-3! And the discrepancy would continue across the the next *8* time zones, or the width of the United States through Alaska!

Um, also...there's only four (and a half. Newfoundland is stubborn that way) time zones in Canada...Where does this '8' come from? Are you adding them twice? That doesn't really make sense to me...Yes, I know, Canada *and* Central/South America...but that's the same as an additional four time zones.

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

• From Shaun Buzza@1:229/110 to Shaun Buzza on Tuesday, March 15, 2022 22:51:35
    Canada *and* Central/South America...but that's the same as an
    additional four time zones.

Sorry, that should say 'thats *not* the same'. Typos happen to everyone!

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Shaun Buzza on Tuesday, March 15, 2022 22:16:18
    On 15 Mar 2022, Shaun Buzza said the following...
    GMT-3! And the discrepancy would continue across the the next *8* tim zones, or the width of the United States through Alaska!

Um, also...there's only four (and a half. Newfoundland is stubborn that way) time zones in Canada...Where does this '8' come from? Are you
    adding them twice? That doesn't really make sense to me...Yes, I know, Canada *and* Central/South America...but that's the same as an

Um, let me check my count (I know some didn't apply to the US)... I may have committed a goalpost error.

According to https://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/,
    GMT-5 marks the eastern edge of the US (EST), and GMT-11 marks the western edge of Alaska, so yeah, that's a goalpost error, sorry about that. It's only
    7 time zones. There's a gap at GMT-9 where there are no US states. I assume that the Senate bill, were it passed by the House and President, would cover the 50 US states, but I could be wrong there. Pulling in Puerto Rico might stretch things to 8 time zones, but I have no idea if US territories would be affected. Guam would just further complicate matters.

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Shaun Buzza on Tuesday, March 15, 2022 22:38:34
    On 15 Mar 2022, Shaun Buzza said the following...
    HOWEVER, because the US
    is looking at standardizing Daylight Savings time, these portions of Canada and South America would be GMT-4, but the eastern US would be GMT-3! And the discrepancy would continue across the the next *8* tim zones, or the width of the United States through Alaska!

That's an issue for us up here, too. I remember this being debated recently at a provincial level here in Ontario, and the outcome was that Quebec, and at least the states connected to Ontario (my US geography sucks, so I won't pretend to know which ones), would also have to make
    the same decision.

I would assume, if it were to be considered at the national level, it would be effectively the same; we'd only do it if you guys did as well.

Also, I forgot Hawaii. But no matter.

The thing is, if Canada abolished the time change, would they choose to align themselves with Standard time (in accordance with the procession of time
    zones from GMT), or would they choose to align themselves with Daylight
    savings time (putting themselves at a +1 offset with with the procession of time zones from GMT)?

If the globe were divided into 24 longitudinal slices, one for each hour of
    the day, natural time zones would be formed. The exact lines could be skewed for regional preference, but the general pattern would remain constant. That
    is Standard Time. Daylight Savings Time introduces a temporary one-hour eastward shift from this natural arrangement.

I would think that any attempt to eliminate this dual-time-zone situation
    would default to the natural system, not make permanent the temporarily
    shifted system. And yet, making Daylight Savings Time permanent is exactly
    what the US Senate has proposed.

Jeff.

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Wednesday, March 16, 2022 17:25:00
    Apparently the US Senate has voted (unanimously!) to end the twice-yearly time changes. Now it just needs to clear the House and President.

But whether you agree with the idea of no more time changes (I do!) or not, wait... there's more.

Yeah, the are morons. It is pretty easy to tell that Paul and McConnell
    don't spend much time in Kentucky in the Winter and don't realize when the
    Sun comes up (already late). In Paul's defense, Bowling Green is in
    CENTRAL Time, so it is different there. Being in the part of the state
    that is on the Western edge of EASTERN Time, just like McConnell's hometown
    is, I am not looking forward to the Sun not really being up until after 9am.

America, and the eastern US and eastern Canada. HOWEVER, because the US is looking at standardizing Daylight Savings time, these portions of Canada and South America would be GMT-4, but the eastern US would be GMT-3! And the discrepancy would continue across the the next *8* time zones, or the width of the United States through Alaska!

How could the US Senate be so right, but at the same time so very, very wrong?!?

Oh I agree they are 100% wrong, but your math is a little faulty. Right
    now, EDT, which is the eastermost time zone in the US (states, anways), is GMT-4. It used to be GMT-5 during Standard Time. As GMT technically does
    not shift, the only way that EDT would be GMT-3 would be if they moved
    Eastern Time ahead an *additional* hour.

Now, that may sound far fetched but Congress rarely meets a dumb idea that
    they don't like.

What is really going to be dumb is if no countries that surround us follow suit. The stupid reason for trying to force states that didn't observe DST
    20 years ago was that it was "too confusing (to people who cannot do simple math)" for those states not to shift when surrounding states do. Now
    imagine trying to figure out the time difference between the US and Canada
    at different times of the year.

For that matter, something else the bill supposedly allows is for areas of
    the US that have exemptions to DST... now they will always be an hour
    behind surrounding areas.

I am wondering if some states won't try to exempt themselves now.

I also wonder who is really behind the idea of staying on DST year-round.
    Back when they shifted what was the Easternmost extent of Central time onto Eastern time, it was because GE wanted as many of their plants as they
    could get on the same time as their east coast headquarters.

Something even dumber... the local news was reporting that this will cause
    us to have more Sunlight. Not "more Sun in the afternoon," or "more Sun
    when you want it," but "more Sun." I already know people who think that
    doing away with DST would equal less total Sunlight, so I don't doubt there could be people working for the TV news that don't understand the Science, either.

So much for following Science.

* SLMR 2.1a * I'm too sexy for my taglines!
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Wednesday, March 16, 2022 17:29:23
    On 16 Mar 2022, Mike Powell said the following...

Yeah, the are morons. It is pretty easy to tell that Paul and McConnell don't spend much time in Kentucky in the Winter and don't realize when
    the Sun comes up (already late). In Paul's defense, Bowling Green is in CENTRAL Time, so it is different there. Being in the part of the state that is on the Western edge of EASTERN Time, just like McConnell's hometown is, I am not looking forward to the Sun not really being up
    until after 9am.

Ah, I didn't really think about the edge cases.

Oh I agree they are 100% wrong, but your math is a little faulty. Right now, EDT, which is the eastermost time zone in the US (states, anways),
    is GMT-4. It used to be GMT-5 during Standard Time. As GMT technically does not shift, the only way that EDT would be GMT-3 would be if they moved Eastern Time ahead an *additional* hour.

It happens. Thanks for double-checking.

What is really going to be dumb is if no countries that surround us
    follow suit. The stupid reason for trying to force states that didn't observe DST 20 years ago was that it was "too confusing (to people who cannot do simple math)" for those states not to shift when surrounding states do. Now imagine trying to figure out the time difference between the US and Canada at different times of the year.

Yeah, that would be weird. I was stationed in Arizona for a while, and they don't mess with the time change. That had its own challenges because the Army officially switched from morning PT to afternoon PT at one time change, and from afternoon PT to morning PT at the other. So even though the time change didn't affect our clocks, we still had to keep track of when the time
    changed. Also, the timing of phone calls to or from just about anywhere in
    the US were affected, too.

For that matter, something else the bill supposedly allows is for areas
    of the US that have exemptions to DST... now they will always be an hour behind surrounding areas.

True, but it's entirely possible that if the bill had made Standard Time permanent rather than Daylight Savings Time, then it would have also included
    a proviso allowing for the opposite. One justification for making DST
    permanent that I've heard is that the US spends about 8 months of each year
    in DST and only about 4 months in Standard Time. So that makes a little
    sense, but it's still askew from the rest of the globe.

Something even dumber... the local news was reporting that this will
    cause us to have more Sunlight. Not "more Sun in the afternoon," or "more Sun when you want it," but "more Sun." I already know people who think that doing away with DST would equal less total Sunlight, so I
    don't doubt there could be people working for the TV news that don't understand the Science, either.

Yeah, there ar ethose people out there... There are probably some, too, who believe it's part of a plot by Soros and Gates to make Americans work more
    per day once they've enslaved us. Oh, crap, did I just start another
    conspiracy theory?

Jeff.

• From Dale Shipp@1:261/1466 to Mike Powell on Thursday, March 17, 2022 01:53:10
    On 03-16-22 17:25, Mike Powell <=-
    spoke to Jeff Thiele about Daylight Savings Time <=-

the part of the state that is on the Western edge of EASTERN Time, just like McConnell's hometown is, I am not looking forward to the Sun not really being up until after 9am.

Back when I was working on a semi-regular time shift, I really did not
    like going from DST to EST. My coming out of work at 6 pm to total
    darkness was a bit depressing.

Dale Shipp
    fido_261_1466 (at) verizon (dot) net
    (1:261/1466)

... Shipwrecked in Silver Spring, Maryland. 01:56:31, 17 Mar 2022
    ___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.30

--- Maximus/NT 3.01
    * Origin: Owl's Anchor (1:261/1466)
  • From Shaun Buzza@1:229/110 to Jeff Thiele on Thursday, March 17, 2022 09:57:04
    Um, also...there's only four (and a half. Newfoundland is stubborn th way) time zones in Canada...Where does this '8' come from? Are you adding them twice? That doesn't really make sense to me...Yes, I know Canada *and* Central/South America...but that's the same as an additional four time zones.

Um, let me check my count (I know some didn't apply to the US)... I may have committed a goalpost error.

GMT-5 marks the eastern edge of the US (EST), and GMT-11 marks the western edge of Alaska, so yeah, that's a goalpost error, sorry about that. It's only 7 time zones. There's a gap at GMT-9 where there are no
    US states. I assume that the Senate bill, were it passed by the House
    and President, would cover the 50 US states, but I could be wrong there. Pulling in Puerto Rico might stretch things to 8 time zones, but I have
    no idea if US territories would be affected. Guam would just further complicate matters.

Right. I had forgotten that there's more to USA than the Continental US. That would be an error on my part. Mea culpa.

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

• From Shaun Buzza@1:229/110 to Jeff Thiele on Thursday, March 17, 2022 10:01:56
    That's an issue for us up here, too. I remember this being debated recently at a provincial level here in Ontario, and the outcome was t Quebec, and at least the states connected to Ontario (my US geography sucks, so I won't pretend to know which ones), would also have to mak the same decision.

I would assume, if it were to be considered at the national level, it would be effectively the same; we'd only do it if you guys did as wel

Also, I forgot Hawaii. But no matter.

The thing is, if Canada abolished the time change, would they choose to align themselves with Standard time (in accordance with the procession
    of time zones from GMT), or would they choose to align themselves with Daylight savings time (putting themselves at a +1 offset with with the procession of time zones from GMT)?

Again, I think this would depend on the decision of our close neighbour, and good friend, Uncle Sam.

If the globe were divided into 24 longitudinal slices, one for each hour of the day, natural time zones would be formed. The exact lines could be skewed for regional preference, but the general pattern would remain constant. That is Standard Time. Daylight Savings Time introduces a temporary one-hour eastward shift from this natural arrangement.

This makes perfect sense to me, as Canada's time zones are divided by lines
    of longitude already.

I would think that any attempt to eliminate this dual-time-zone situation would default to the natural system, not make permanent the temporarily shifted system. And yet, making Daylight Savings Time permanent is
    exactly what the US Senate has proposed.

Do you really expect the Senate to actually use their brains? (o_-)

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Thursday, March 17, 2022 16:52:00
    How could the US Senate be so right, but at the same time so very, very
    wrong?!?

Oh I agree they are 100% wrong, but your math is a little faulty. Right now, EDT, which is the eastermost time zone in the US (states, anways), is GMT-4. It used to be GMT-5 during Standard Time. As GMT technically does not shift, the only way that EDT would be GMT-3 would be if they moved Eastern Time ahead an *additional* hour.

It happens. Thanks for double-checking.

I am glad as I was starting to worry that maybe you had picked up on
    something that I had missed about the bill. :)

True, but it's entirely possible that if the bill had made Standard Time permanent rather than Daylight Savings Time, then it would have also included a proviso allowing for the opposite. One justification for making DST permanent that I've heard is that the US spends about 8 months of each year in DST and only about 4 months in Standard Time. So that makes a little sense, but it's still askew from the rest of the globe.

It is askew from most of the globe with the 4/8 month split as we do it
    now. I have a friend who lives in Brazil. Sounds like they split closer
    to 5/7 or 6/6, which makes more sense.

The fact that they are using it already being askew to justify making it completely askew says something.

Something even dumber... the local news was reporting that this will cause us to have more Sunlight. Not "more Sun in the afternoon," or "more Sun when you want it," but "more Sun." I already know people who think that doing away with DST would equal less total Sunlight, so I don't doubt there could be people working for the TV news that don't understand the Science, either.

Yeah, there ar ethose people out there... There are probably some, too, who believe it's part of a plot by Soros and Gates to make Americans work more per day once they've enslaved us. Oh, crap, did I just start another conspiracy theory?

Dang it, I just put away my tin foil hat!

Honestly, most medical articles I have read over the years indicate that more Sun exposure in the morning is better for seritonin levels than having more
    Sun in the evening. So, if you want a good conspiracy theory that is believeable, I would go with blaming big pharma wanting to sell more anti-depresents.

* SLMR 2.1a * Final scores: Deep Space 9, Babylon 5, Earth 2.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to DALE SHIPP on Thursday, March 17, 2022 17:14:00
    the part of the state that is on the Western edge of EASTERN Time, just like McConnell's hometown is, I am not looking forward to the Sun not really being up until after 9am.

In the Winter, there are times here where it will be dark at 6pm even on
    Winter DST, especially if it is cloudy in the evening, which it often is.

They pushed the end of DST back far enough that it is already starting to
    get dark early here by the time we move back to Standard.

* SLMR 2.1a * In making decisions, recall that the trend is a friend.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Thursday, March 17, 2022 16:54:40
    On 17 Mar 2022, Mike Powell said the following...
    It is askew from most of the globe with the 4/8 month split as we do it now. I have a friend who lives in Brazil. Sounds like they split closer to 5/7 or 6/6, which makes more sense.

That's true about the 4/8 split. I'm not sure right off what effect proximity to the equator does to the length of days relative to season, but while the continental US stretches from about 25N in Florida to about 45N in (for example) North Dakota, Brazil only has a longitudinal range from about 5N to 32S.

The fact that they are using it already being askew to justify making it completely askew says something.

True as well.

Jeff.

• From Dale Shipp@1:261/1466 to Mike Powell on Friday, March 18, 2022 00:22:00
    On 03-17-22 17:14, Mike Powell <=-
    spoke to Dale Shipp about Re: Daylight Savings Tim <=-

In the Winter, there are times here where it will be dark at 6pm even
    on Winter DST, especially if it is cloudy in the evening, which it
    often is.

Granted -- what really got to me was the sudden change from daylight to
    dark as I left the office to drive home.

Dale Shipp
    fido_261_1466 (at) verizon (dot) net
    (1:261/1466)

... Shipwrecked in Silver Spring, Maryland. 00:24:15, 18 Mar 2022
    ___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.30

--- Maximus/NT 3.01
    * Origin: Owl's Anchor (1:261/1466)
  • From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Jeff Thiele on Friday, March 18, 2022 17:29:41
    Hello Jeff,

Apparently the US Senate has voted (unanimously!) to end the twice-yearly time changes. Now it just needs to clear the House and President.

The House introduced its own identical version. Which will also
    pass by acclamation (if it hasn't already).

But whether you agree with the idea of no more time changes (I do!) or not,
    wait... there's more.

Everybody likes an extra hour of daylight.

Thus doing away with God's time. Now if only the House will do
    the same. Naturally, the POTUS will sign it. Unless he follows the
    Pope's orders and remains on God's time.

If you don't immediately see the implications of that, let me explain. Greenwich Mean Time, the time in Greenwich England, has an offset of 0; all
    of the other time zones are some offset from that. West of GMT is the western
    tip of Africa and the very east coast of Greenland, with an offset of GMT-1.
    The next zone west is eastern Greenland, offset GMT-2. The next zone after that is central Greenland and easter South America, offset GMT-3.

Time is a fiction. We all live on God's time, whether we realize
    it or not.

But hold onto your hats for this next part:

There are only 24 hours in a day, no matter how you cut it.
    Stretch it any way you want, but the number of hours always
    remains the same.

The next zone west of GMT-3 would be western Greenland, central South America, and the eastern US and eastern Canada. HOWEVER, because the US is looking at standardizing Daylight Savings time, these portions of Canada and
    South America would be GMT-4, but the eastern US would be GMT-3! And the discrepancy would continue across the the next *8* time zones, or the width
    of the United States through Alaska!

Thank God we don't live in Russia (which already has 8 time zones).

They're politicians. And never make mistakes.

--Lee

--
    Pork: the other white meat

--- MesNews/1.08.05.00-gb
    * Origin: news://eljaco.se:4119 (2:203/2)
  • From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Jeff Thiele on Friday, March 18, 2022 17:29:47
    Hello Jeff,

GMT-3! And the discrepancy would continue across the the next
    *8* tim
    zones, or the width of the United States through Alaska!

Um, also...there's only four (and a half. Newfoundland is stubborn
    that
    way) time zones in Canada...Where does this '8' come from? Are you
    adding them twice? That doesn't really make sense to me...Yes, I
    know,
    Canada *and* Central/South America...but that's the same as an

Um, let me check my count (I know some didn't apply to the US)... I may have
    committed a goalpost error.

GMT-5 marks the eastern edge of the US (EST), and GMT-11 marks the western
    edge of Alaska, so yeah, that's a goalpost error, sorry about that. It's only
    7 time zones. There's a gap at GMT-9 where there are no US states. I assume
    that the Senate bill, were it passed by the House and President, would cover
    the 50 US states, but I could be wrong there. Pulling in Puerto Rico might stretch things to 8 time zones, but I have no idea if US territories would be
    affected. Guam would just further complicate matters.

Let's not forget about American Samoa.

--Lee

--
    Food for the Fun of It

--- MesNews/1.08.05.00-gb
    * Origin: news://eljaco.se:4119 (2:203/2)
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Friday, March 18, 2022 16:05:00
    That's true about the 4/8 split. I'm not sure right off what effect proximity to the equator does to the length of days relative to season, but while the continental US stretches from about 25N in Florida to about 45N in (for example) North Dakota, Brazil only has a longitudinal range from about 5N to 32S.

On the Equator, there is very little variation. Days are about 12 light/12 dark no matter the time of year. As you move away from it, Summer days get longer Sun time, while Winter days get shorter.

My friend in Brazil lives near Sao Paulo, which is in the SE of the
    country, just beyond 23S. So the days would be a little longer in the Winter, and shorter in the Summer, than they are here.

* SLMR 2.1a * <>>>>>>>>>>>> SURF NAKED <<<<<<<<<<<<>
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to DALE SHIPP on Friday, March 18, 2022 16:08:00
    Back when I was working on a semi-regular time shift, I really did not like going from DST to EST. My coming out of work at 6 pm to total darkness was a bit depressing.

In the Winter, there are times here where it will be dark at 6pm even
    on Winter DST, especially if it is cloudy in the evening, which it
    often is.

Granted -- what really got to me was the sudden change from daylight to
    dark as I left the office to drive home.

I used to experience something similar in the mornings when they switched
    from Standard to DST. On clear days, it would actually be Sunny when I
    left for work and, when DST started, it would be dark again.

They moved the change to DST up just a little, and I did not notice it as
    much. It is getting light before the switch, but not "Sunny."

* SLMR 2.1a * Business & science walk hand in sweaty hand
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux