• NY's Lead Pipes Update

From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to All on Friday, September 16, 2022 01:00:28
    I contacted Claudia Tenney's office about Biden's water pipe scam. I was surprised to get a phone call for a reply! A rep for Rep Tenney said:

"The project is not yet complete, but we still expect to see all of the
    state's lead pipes replaced."

I thanked him for his call, and I didn't tell him this, but I don't believe him! I think he's covering for Democrats. Those pipes ain't gonna get
    replaced. Even if they were gonna get replaced, that should have taken place ahead of any additional money-grab procedures, which it didn't.

The important thing right now is grab the money. Later, when people want to know where it was spent, then they can scour the bottom of the earth for clues!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: CompuBBS | Ashburn VA | cfbbs.scinet-ftn.org (1:275/99)
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Aaron Thomas on Saturday, September 17, 2022 12:47:17
    On 16 Sep 2022, Aaron Thomas said the following...
    I contacted Claudia Tenney's office about Biden's water pipe scam. I was surprised to get a phone call for a reply! A rep for Rep Tenney said:
    "The project is not yet complete, but we still expect to see all of the state's lead pipes replaced."

I'm not sure about NY state policies vis-a-vis Biden's plan, but I did see
    some info about previous state funding for replacing lead pipes. Back then,
    in determining which areas would receive state funding for lead pipe replacement, three criteria were considered:

1. The median income of the area. If the median income of the area was above 150% of the state's median income, the area would not receive state funding.

2. The number of children in the area who tested above a certain threshold of lead content in their blood. Too few children, no funding.

3. The number of houses in the area that were built before (I believe) 1936.
    I could be wrong about the year, but it was when new housing development stopped using lead pipes (and, presumably, the water lines to these houses
    did, too). Too few old houses, no funding.

These were NY state rules, not federal rules. I doubt that Biden's plan directly funds cities; it's far more likely that states receive grants from
    the federal government, which they then disperse downwards to counties and cities. The federal government may or may not have any say in how the states prioritize funding.

Jeff.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Cold War Computing BBS (1:387/26)
  • From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Jeff Thiele on Saturday, September 17, 2022 18:29:21
    These were NY state rules, not federal rules. I doubt that Biden's plan directly funds cities; it's far more likely that states receive grants from the federal government, which they then disperse downwards to counties and cities. The federal government may or may not have any say
    in how the states prioritize funding.

There was already a state plan in place to replace the lines, but I want you to understand the concept of paying for one thing at a time; receive delivery for 1st invoice (Bipartisan InfrastructureA Act) before paying for 2nd invoice (Inflation Reduction Act.)

Now we're waiting for delivery of all kinds of stuff, not just lead pipes, but where's our earth cooling machine? Where's our inflation reduction? I don't
    see any "inflation-related price increases" coming back down. Yet all this stuff is paid for in full by the taxpayers (and by future generations.)

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Aaron Thomas on Sunday, September 18, 2022 09:08:20
    On 17 Sep 2022, Aaron Thomas said the following...
    These were NY state rules, not federal rules. I doubt that Biden's pl directly funds cities; it's far more likely that states receive grant from the federal government, which they then disperse downwards to counties and cities. The federal government may or may not have any s in how the states prioritize funding.
    There was already a state plan in place to replace the lines, but I want you to understand the concept of paying for one thing at a time; receive delivery for 1st invoice (Bipartisan InfrastructureA Act) before paying for 2nd invoice (Inflation Reduction Act.)

We can fund more than one thing at a time. I often pay my water, gas, and electric bills on the same day, and paying just one of them won't keep the other services from being cut off for non-payment. Each bill pays for a different service. But I'm sure you understand how that works.

The idea of only paying for one thing at a time may be what your are trying
    to get me to understand, but it is an artificial restriction placed on the government by Aaron Thomas, not by any law, convention, or statute. It exists only in your mind.

Now we're waiting for delivery of all kinds of stuff, not just lead
    pipes, but where's our earth cooling machine? Where's our inflation reduction? I don't see any "inflation-related price increases" coming
    back down. Yet all this stuff is paid for in full by the taxpayers (and
    by future generations.)

These things take time.

Jeff.

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Jeff Thiele on Sunday, September 18, 2022 18:28:14
    We can fund more than one thing at a time. I often pay my water, gas, and electric bills on the same day, and paying just one of them won't keep
    the other services from being cut off for non-payment. Each bill pays
    for a different service. But I'm sure you understand how that works.

Funding 2 things at the same time can be ok, but these 2 money-grabs
    were not funded at the same time.

The power company doesn't force people to pre-pay for September, leave them without power for the whole month of September, and then force them to pre-pay for October. It don't work that way.

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Monday, September 19, 2022 18:19:00
    We can fund more than one thing at a time. I often pay my water, gas, and electric bills on the same day, and paying just one of them won't keep the other services from being cut off for non-payment. Each bill pays for a different service. But I'm sure you understand how that works.

The idea of only paying for one thing at a time may be what your are trying to get me to understand, but it is an artificial restriction placed on the government by Aaron Thomas, not by any law, convention, or statute. It exists only in your mind.

But you also cannot spend money you don't have, right? So, if you have
    those multiple bills, but don't have the money to pay them all, you pay
    what you can and then theoretically the others get cut off.

The government does not have that restriction. They just print more money, which is bad economics in the long run, to cover their exponential debt.

* SLMR 2.1a * I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Aaron Thomas on Tuesday, September 20, 2022 07:28:58
    On 18 Sep 2022, Aaron Thomas said the following...
    We can fund more than one thing at a time. I often pay my water, gas, electric bills on the same day, and paying just one of them won't kee the other services from being cut off for non-payment. Each bill pays for a different service. But I'm sure you understand how that works.
    Funding 2 things at the same time can be ok, but these 2 money-grabs
    were not funded at the same time.

I pay my bills every month.

The power company doesn't force people to pre-pay for September, leave them without power for the whole month of September, and then force them to pre-pay for October. It don't work that way.

Often-times a deposit or "hook-up fee" is required.

The point is the same, though: these two pieces of legislation are not "money-grabs" and their funding does not overlap. They are for different things.

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Tuesday, September 20, 2022 07:31:25
    On 19 Sep 2022, Mike Powell said the following...
    We can fund more than one thing at a time. I often pay my water, gas, an electric bills on the same day, and paying just one of them won't keep t other services from being cut off for non-payment. Each bill pays for a different service. But I'm sure you understand how that works.
    The idea of only paying for one thing at a time may be what your are try to get me to understand, but it is an artificial restriction placed on t government by Aaron Thomas, not by any law, convention, or statute. It e only in your mind.
    But you also cannot spend money you don't have, right? So, if you have those multiple bills, but don't have the money to pay them all, you pay what you can and then theoretically the others get cut off.

True, and I don't go into debt to pay monthly bills. I have gone into debt to fund other purchases and have several times carried car and house loans at
    the same time.

The government does not have that restriction. They just print more money, which is bad economics in the long run, to cover their
    exponential debt.

They don't necessarily print more money, but that is an option that they
    have. Trump seemed exceptionally keen on using it.

Jeff.

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Tuesday, September 20, 2022 16:06:00
    The government does not have that restriction. They just print more money, which is bad economics in the long run, to cover their exponential debt.

They don't necessarily print more money, but that is an option that they have. Trump seemed exceptionally keen on using it.

As has Biden. I don't think it is a great policy from either of them.

* SLMR 2.1a * Ethernet: A device to catch the Ether Bunny.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Tuesday, September 20, 2022 16:50:23
    On 20 Sep 2022, Mike Powell said the following...
    The government does not have that restriction. They just print mor money, which is bad economics in the long run, to cover their exponential debt.
    They don't necessarily print more money, but that is an option that they have. Trump seemed exceptionally keen on using it.
    As has Biden. I don't think it is a great policy from either of them.

Has Biden actually mentioned printing it? Or just borrowing and spending?
    Trump actually mentioned printing it, multiple times.

Jeff.

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to ALL on Friday, September 23, 2022 21:02:52
    [..]

But you also cannot spend money you don't have, right? So, if you have those multiple bills, but don't have the money to pay them all, you pay what you can and then theoretically the others get cut off.

Not many people can afford to pay cash for a new house.
    Or even an old house. Much less a new car, or even a used one.
    Paying cash for college is also something most folks cannot
    afford.

The government does not have that restriction.

Trump gave away huge tax cuts for the wealthy by borrowing from
    future generations. Without any plan to pay any of it back.

They just print more money, which is bad economics in the long run, to cover
    their exponential debt.

More tax cuts for the wealthy is not the answer. What is needed
    is more revenue. Those who benefit the most from the system should
    pay more. Not less. But Trump & Co. prefer to Make America Poor
    Again, which is why the national debt is what it is today.

For Life,
    Lee

--
    Lovin' beats hatin'.

--- MesNews/1.08.05.00-gb
    * Origin: news://eljaco.se:4119 (2:203/2)
  • From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Jeff Thiele on Friday, September 23, 2022 21:03:11
    Hello Jeff,

[..]

But you also cannot spend money you don't have, right? So, if you have
    those multiple bills, but don't have the money to pay them all, you pay
    what you can and then theoretically the others get cut off.

True, and I don't go into debt to pay monthly bills. I have gone into debt to
    fund other purchases and have several times carried car and house loans at the same time.

Most people do not have the funds to buy a house or a car outright.
    So they borrow the money and pay it back later in order to enjoy what
    they want now, rather than later.

What GWB (and Trump) did was borrow money from future generations
    and not have any plan to pay it back. Tax cuts for the wealthy was
    their mantra. That is why the national debt is so high.

The government does not have that restriction. They just print more
    money, which is bad economics in the long run, to cover their
    exponential debt.

Government (Congress) does not spend money. It allocates funds.
    Trump was keen on giving away free money to his friends, without
    any intention of raising funds to replace it.

For Life,
    Lee

--
    Every bite is a different temperature

--- MesNews/1.08.05.00-gb
    * Origin: news://eljaco.se:4119 (2:203/2)