• She's Back

From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to All on Sunday, May 29, 2022 16:18:07
    Kamala Harris says "Let's have an assault weapons ban" in her extremely
    delayed response to the recent Texas school shooting.

Does the same idiot who writes scripts for TV shows writing the script for the Biden administration?

"Hello, I haven't shown my face in nearly a year, I still haven't fixed the border, but I'd like to take this opportunity to take guns away from Americans."

Beto O'Rourke isn't much better:

"Hi I'm running for governor and the shooting is the fault of the incumbent."

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: CompuBBS | Ashburn VA | cfbbs.scinet-ftn.org (1:275/99)
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Aaron Thomas on Sunday, May 29, 2022 17:53:04
    On 29 May 2022, Aaron Thomas said the following...
    Kamala Harris says "Let's have an assault weapons ban" in her extremely delayed response to the recent Texas school shooting.

Trump also tried to do something about assault weapons in a meeting after the 2019 El Paso mass shooting, according to the New York Times.
    Trump: What are we going to do about assault rifles?
    Mulvaney: Not a damn thing.
    Trump: Why?
    Mulvaney: Because you would lose.

Does the same idiot who writes scripts for TV shows writing the script
    for the Biden administration?

Something needs to be done about the extreme availability to guns for people who want to harm others.

"Hello, I haven't shown my face in nearly a year, I still haven't fixed the border, but I'd like to take this opportunity to take guns away from Americans."

Bad news, bro: The border will never be "fixed" to your satisfaction, no
    matter who is president.

Greg Abbott has done nothing to make guns less accessible to those who want
    to harm others, and in fact has worked to make them more accessible. The idea that more guns prevent crime is a farce; Texas has some of the most lax gun laws in the country.

Jeff.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Cold War Computing BBS (1:387/26)
  • From Matt Munson@1:218/109 to Jeff Thiele on Sunday, May 29, 2022 20:02:13
    BY: Jeff Thiele(1:387/26)

Bad news, bro: The border will never be "fixed" to your satisfaction, no matter who is president.
    Fixing the border helps to limit fentanyul smuggling and gun smuggling.

--- WWIV 5.5.1.3261
    * Origin: Inland Utopia BBS * iutopia.duckdns.org:2023 (1:218/109)
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Matt Munson on Sunday, May 29, 2022 23:04:44
    On 29 May 2022, Matt Munson said the following...
    Bad news, bro: The border will never be "fixed" to your satisfaction, matter who is president.
    Fixing the border helps to limit fentanyul smuggling and gun smuggling.

True, but Aaron won't be satisfied until every refugee is turned away as
    well. Drug smuggling and refugee aid are two very different things, and both are treated very differently. As for gun smuggling, I think we've got more
    guns than we know what to do with as it is, and I'm not sure the gun
    smuggling is going the direction that you think it's going.

Jeff.

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Jeff Thiele on Monday, May 30, 2022 13:29:12
    Bad news, bro: The border will never be "fixed" to your satisfaction, no matter who is president.

It was fixed to my satisfaction when Trump was president, but you're right, because now it's destroyed beyond repair. We no longer have that layer of protection (called a border) to protect us from foreign threats, and you are right when you say "it will never be fixed" because we've screwed ourselves over for the last time, by voting Democrat.

Greg Abbott has done nothing to make guns less accessible to those who want to harm others, and in fact has worked to make them more
    accessible. The idea that more guns prevent crime is a farce; Texas has some of the most lax gun laws in the country.

No governor in any state has done anything to make guns less accessible. Beto should try blaming his own party for today's historic crime levels. We need guns now more than ever because of the horrible things Democrats are doing.

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to AARON THOMAS on Monday, May 30, 2022 15:30:00
    Kamala Harris says "Let's have an assault weapons ban" in her extremely delayed response to the recent Texas school shooting.

It would be nice if the people who keep calling for *more* gun laws (that
    only affect law abiding citizens) would explain exactly how those new laws
    will fix the problem.

With many instances of gun violence, existing laws were not enforced.
    We currently have more gun laws on the books than several years ago and, several years ago, we were not experiencing the seemingly constant mass shootings that are often (but not always) comitted by someone who is known
    to police/the feds and is either being watched (but not close enough) or
    that was determined not to be enough of a threat.

Meanwhile we have felons, convicted of gun-related violent crimes, who get
    out of prison, get arrested and charged with "possession of a gun by a
    felon" multiple times, and still manage to be back out on the street, and armed.

They can brag about this on social media, along with bragging about
    "rolling up" on someone and "putting them to sleep permanently," and posting violent videos of driveby shootings. Meanwhile, Donald Trump hurts people
    like Jeff's feelings so he gets social media banned.

And it is not because they are fooling any filters... some (but not all) of
    the videos they post do get flagged as "violent content" but are still
    there, posted publically, to be watched if you click "OK" on the disclaimer.

Something needs doing, but whatever the dumbass left-leaning politicians
    are doing and want doing is not fixing anything.

* SLMR 2.1a * Adolescence - the time between puberty and adultery.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Aaron Thomas on Monday, May 30, 2022 15:05:03
    On 30 May 2022, Aaron Thomas said the following...
    Bad news, bro: The border will never be "fixed" to your satisfaction, matter who is president.
    It was fixed to my satisfaction when Trump was president, but you're right, because now it's destroyed beyond repair.

Was it? Because we still had migrants, drug smugglers, and others crossing
    the border under Trump. We were still granting refugees asylum under Trump.
    The only thing Trump did was build little bits of a wall and crank up the cruelty. I guess that's the part you liked?

We no longer have that
    layer of protection (called a border) to protect us from foreign
    threats

BS. We have as much of a border as we did under Trump.

and you are right when you say "it will never be fixed" because
    we've screwed ourselves over for the last time, by voting Democrat.

It will never be fixed to your satisfaction, no.

Greg Abbott has done nothing to make guns less accessible to those wh want to harm others, and in fact has worked to make them more accessible. The idea that more guns prevent crime is a farce; Texas h some of the most lax gun laws in the country.
    No governor in any state has done anything to make guns less accessible.

That needs to change.

Beto should try blaming his own party for today's historic crime levels.

Democrats are not responsible for crime levels. If anything, Republicans are. By continuing to drive income and wealth disparity, they ensure that a
    certain portion of the population remains locked in poverty. And poverty
    drives crime, especially violent crime. Financially secure people don't generally commit that much violent crime.

We need guns now more than ever because of the horrible things Democrats are doing.

BS. We've tried that. It doesn't work.

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Monday, May 30, 2022 15:30:46
    On 30 May 2022, Mike Powell said the following...
    It would be nice if the people who keep calling for *more* gun laws (that only affect law abiding citizens) would explain exactly how those new
    laws will fix the problem.

Take it to the two extremes. Unlimited guns for all will not solve the
    problem of gun violence. Zero guns for anyone would definitely solve the problem. We don't need to take it to either extreme, but we seem intent on continuing to move toward the former instead of the latter.

That is a problem that needs to be addressed. Perhaps there need to be increased penalties for not enforcing existing laws.

We currently have more gun laws on the books than several years ago and, several years ago, we were not experiencing the seemingly constant mass shootings that are often (but not always) comitted by someone who is
    known to police/the feds and is either being watched (but not close enough) or that was determined not to be enough of a threat.

We may have more laws by count than the era before near-daily mass shootings, but we have less regulation in general. Two things happened right about when the whole thing started: the 1994 federal assault weapons ban was allowed to expire, and the 2008 Supreme Court ruling in District of Columbia v. Heller. Those two things drastically changed the firearm landscape and we are still dealing with the after-effects with no end in sight.

Meanwhile we have felons, convicted of gun-related violent crimes, who
    get out of prison, get arrested and charged with "possession of a gun by
    a felon" multiple times, and still manage to be back out on the street, and armed.

You're clearly advocating for increased penalties for felons caught in possession of a firearm. That's gonna require either new laws or a change to existing ones. As for how they manage to get their hands on a firearm, that's
    a function of just how many there are in circulation.

They can brag about this on social media, along with bragging about "rolling up" on someone and "putting them to sleep permanently," and posting violent videos of driveby shootings. Meanwhile, Donald Trump hurts people like Jeff's feelings so he gets social media banned.

Presumably these social media posts can be used against them. Donald Trump
    was banned for spreading misinformation, an entirely different issue. And if criminals didn't have such easy access to guns, they wouldn't have anything
    to brag about. There are so many guns out there that there is no longer any easy fix. Any viable solution is going to take years or decades to achieve
    the results we want. But that's no reason to give up and do nothing.

And it is not because they are fooling any filters... some (but not all) of the videos they post do get flagged as "violent content" but are still there, posted publically, to be watched if you click "OK" on the disclaimer.

I've not personally had any experience with such videos, but will take your word for it. Perhaps pressure needs to be placed on social media companies to address that as well.

Something needs doing, but whatever the dumbass left-leaning politicians are doing and want doing is not fixing anything.

The left-leaning politicians aren't allowed to do anything meaningful. Any solution will have to be nation-wide, or guns will just flow illegally from areas with less regulation to areas with more.

Likewise, the "more guns!" and "thoughts and prayers" solutions aren't doing crap, either.

Jeff.

• From Ron L.@1:120/616 to Aaron Thomas on Monday, May 30, 2022 20:37:37
    Aaron Thomas wrote to All <=-

"Hello, I haven't shown my face in nearly a year, I still haven't fixed the border, but I'd like to take this opportunity to take guns away
    from Americans."

The Lefties never let a tragedy go unexploited.

The problem is that their ignorant sycophants (That's you, Jeff) are the only ones listening to this drivel.

... Hey! Don't shoot that postal worker <BANG!> NO CARRIER
    ___ MultiMail/Linux v0.52

--- Mystic BBS/QWK v1.12 A48 2022/04/03 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: cold fusion - cfbbs.net - grand rapids, mi (1:120/616)
  • From Matt Munson@1:218/109 to Jeff Thiele on Monday, May 30, 2022 18:55:19
    BY: Jeff Thiele(1:387/26)

guns than we know what to do with as it is, and I'm not sure the gun smuggling is going the direction that you think it's going.
    Making Mexico more danegrous.

--- WWIV 5.5.1.3261
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Ron L. on Monday, May 30, 2022 21:45:26
    On 30 May 2022, Ron L. said the following...

That would be the "Righties," suuch as when the NRA ramps up fund-raising
    after every high-profile mass shooting.

The problem is that their ignorant sycophants (That's you, Jeff) are the only ones listening to this drivel.

Not true. 80-some-odd percent of Americans support stronger gun safety laws.

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Matt Munson on Monday, May 30, 2022 21:47:05
    On 30 May 2022, Matt Munson said the following...
    guns than we know what to do with as it is, and I'm not sure the gun smuggling is going the direction that you think it's going.

Wait, I thought "more guns!" is supposed to increase safety. Are you saying that's not true?

Jeff.

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Mike Powell on Tuesday, May 31, 2022 13:54:16

It would be nice if the people who keep calling for *more* gun laws (that only affect law abiding citizens) would explain exactly how those new

Yes, I don't understand how Kamala's proposal would fix anything. If a lunatic learns that Kamala has banned AK-47s, will that make him want to be less of a killer and more of a hugger?

We currently have more gun laws on the books than several years ago and, several years ago, we were not experiencing the seemingly constant mass shootings that are often (but not always) comitted by someone who is
    known to police/the feds and is either being watched (but not close enough) or that was determined not to be enough of a threat.

Parents need to make demands of better security measures in the schools,
    but instead, they are demanding whatever Democrats & the media tell them to demand.

They can brag about this on social media, along with bragging about "rolling up" on someone and "putting them to sleep permanently," and posting violent videos of driveby shootings. Meanwhile, Donald Trump hurts people like Jeff's feelings so he gets social media banned.

Less internet would be helpful. People think they can find the answer to anything and everything on the internet. Search queries like "what can I get

And it is not because they are fooling any filters... some (but not all) of the videos they post do get flagged as "violent content" but are still there, posted publically, to be watched if you click "OK" on the disclaimer.

Selfish people are incapable of seeing the harm in anything as long as it's "legal." It's legal to cheat on spouses in most states; so leftists probably think of it as "ok to do." Just like coming to the USA with a weak story about "I need asylum because there's mean people threatening me back home."
    Dishonest and selfish, but legal.

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Jeff Thiele on Tuesday, May 31, 2022 15:14:41
    Was it? Because we still had migrants, drug smugglers, and others
    crossing the border under Trump. We were still granting refugees asylum under Trump. The only thing Trump did was build little bits of a wall
    and crank up the cruelty. I guess that's the part you liked?

That's nonsense. We didn't have 4 million+ illegal migrants in a single year under Trump's administration. We should pause it now, and get back to taking asylum seekers in the future, after we get covid, baby formula, and FOOD under better control. We need to change the asylum laws and only take refugees who are coming from countries with current violence by government. Otherwise it's
    a waste of our resources to "help" people who say they're "escaping" the
    "<same bs we deal with in the usa>"

Mexico is a more humane choice for migrant enslavement anyway; they don't have the baby food or food shortages that we have here. They can grow crops year round, and they will always have excess to sell to us.

and you are right when you say "it will never be fixed" because
    we've screwed ourselves over for the last time, by voting Democrat.

All I want is a restriction on refugees. Things are tough all all over, Pedro.

Democrats are not responsible for crime levels. If anything, Republicans are. By continuing to drive income and wealth disparity, they ensure
    that a certain portion of the population remains locked in poverty. And poverty drives crime, especially violent crime. Financially secure
    people don't generally commit that much violent crime.

That's a terrible brainwashing scheme; there are way too many holes in everything you're saying. Wealth disparity is a choice. Everything you said is a generalization. Generalizations don't work in court, so they work here instead? Financial hardship isn't a reason to commit a crime, unless someone's stealing food from the grocery store. Is America crying about "rising grocery store thefts?" Nope! Because it's Joe's violent crime crisis that bothers us more than some stolen food.

We need guns now more than ever because of the horrible things Democr are doing.

Tried stocking up on guns and failed? Try again! Get em before they're gone
    for good!

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Ron L. on Tuesday, May 31, 2022 15:24:50

Unless it's a tragedy that presents itself with an unhelpful narrative, like "Unarmed native american man killed by police."

It's not a "tragedy" unless Al Sharpton is there the next morning.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Aaron Thomas on Tuesday, May 31, 2022 13:32:53
    On 31 May 2022, Aaron Thomas said the following...
    Was it? Because we still had migrants, drug smugglers, and others crossing the border under Trump. We were still granting refugees asyl under Trump. The only thing Trump did was build little bits of a wall and crank up the cruelty. I guess that's the part you liked?
    That's nonsense. We didn't have 4 million+ illegal migrants in a single year under Trump's administration.
    Trump reduced legal immigration, but not illegal immigration. You're trying
    to characterize some legal immigrants as illegal, but your
    mischaracterization doesn't mean squat to anyone.

We should pause it now, and get back
    to taking asylum seekers in the future, after we get covid, baby
    formula, and FOOD under better control.
    We don't really have an option to "pause" illegal immigration. We deport them as we catch them. But I suspect you're referring to legal immigration instead.

We need to change the asylum
    laws and only take refugees who are coming from countries with current violence by government.
    Yep, here we go. If the current laws allow asylum seekers to enter our
    country, then they are legal immigrants. That your solution would involve changing laws means that you are definitely trying to mischaracterize legal immigrants as illegal.

Limiting refugees to only those where the violence is from the government is
    a strange distinction to make, as it would make anyone from an invaded
    country (such as Ukraine) ineligible.

Otherwise it's a waste of our resources to
    "help" people who say they're "escaping" the "<same bs we deal with in
    the usa>"
    BS. In some cases its war, which we do not have in the US. In other cases
    it's gang violence ignored by corrupt ofiicials, to a degree that we do not
    yet have here in the US.

Mexico is a more humane choice for migrant enslavement anyway;
    No one has suggested enslavement but you.

they
    don't have the baby food or food shortages that we have here.
    We don't have baby food or food shortages here. We have a temporary baby formula shortage.

They can
    grow crops year round, and they will always have excess to sell to us.
    So can we, and we always seem to have the money to buy from them.

and you are right when you say "it will never be fixed" because we've screwed ourselves over for the last time, by voting Democr
    All I want is a restriction on refugees. Things are tough all all over, Pedro.
    Refugees are legal immigrants and they are not hurting you.

Democrats are not responsible for crime levels. If anything, Republic are. By continuing to drive income and wealth disparity, they ensure that a certain portion of the population remains locked in poverty. A poverty drives crime, especially violent crime. Financially secure people don't generally commit that much violent crime.
    That's a terrible brainwashing scheme; there are way too many holes in everything you're saying. Wealth disparity is a choice. Everything you said is a generalization. Generalizations don't work in court, so they work here instead? Financial hardship isn't a reason to commit a crime, unless someone's stealing food from the grocery store. Is America crying about "rising grocery store thefts?" Nope! Because it's Joe's violent crime crisis that bothers us more than some stolen food.

Wealth disparity is not the choice you make it out to be. Have you not made generalizations about "illegal" immigrants as well? Financial hardship is responsible for far more than stealing food from the grocery store. Stealing anything that can be sold for cash, by any means, can also be a resolution to financial hardship. There's no excuse for it, but at some level there's rationalization. Humans have a strong survival instinct, and when the system doesn't work for them, they go outside the system. Much like militias and conspiracy theorists threaten to go outside the system when it doesn't work
    for them.

We need guns now more than ever because of the horrible things D are doing.
    Tried stocking up on guns and failed? Try again! Get em before they're gone for good!

Stocking up on guns doesn't solve the crisis. Mutually Assured Destruction on an individual level is no way to live.

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Aaron Thomas on Tuesday, May 31, 2022 13:33:39
    Unless it's a tragedy that presents itself with an unhelpful narrative, like "Unarmed native american man killed by police."

Aww, did you try to politicize that tragedy and fail?

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Aaron Thomas on Tuesday, May 31, 2022 13:36:57

Nope! Because it's Joe's violent
    crime crisis that bothers us more than some stolen food.

You're not trying to blame our violent crime crisis on Biden's refugee
    policy, are you?

Jeff.

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Tuesday, May 31, 2022 16:21:00
    Take it to the two extremes. Unlimited guns for all will not solve the problem of gun violence. Zero guns for anyone would definitely solve the problem. We don't need to take it to either extreme, but we seem intent on continuing to move toward the former instead of the latter.

Zero guns would not solve the problem at all. No guns for felons doesn't
    solve the problem of felons having guns now because, you know, felons have
    a difficult time following laws.

Unlimited guns would also not work because, you know, felons.

On a somewhat related note, last I checked, it was not conservatives or Republicans who want to restore some/all rights to felons.

That is a problem that needs to be addressed. Perhaps there need to be increased penalties for not enforcing existing laws.

Agreed. There should also be increased penalties for people who continue
    to break existing laws. Supposedly there are but, in reality, these are
    also not always enforced.

We may have more laws by count than the era before near-daily mass shootings, but we have less regulation in general. Two things happened right about when the whole thing started: the 1994 federal assault weapons ban was allowed to expire, and the 2008 Supreme Court ruling in District of Columbia v. Heller. Those two things drastically changed the firearm landscape and we are still dealing with the after-effects with no end in sight.

I believe numbers were starting to go up before the 1994 law expired.

Meanwhile we have felons, convicted of gun-related violent crimes, who get out of prison, get arrested and charged with "possession of a gun by a felon" multiple times, and still manage to be back out on the street, and armed.

You're clearly advocating for increased penalties for felons caught in possession of a firearm. That's gonna require either new laws or a change to existing ones. As for how they manage to get their hands on a firearm, that's a function of just how many there are in circulation.

Actually, it does not seem like they are enforcing what they have too much
    but, yes, if they would increase the penalties for repeat offenders by changing/enforcing existing laws, that would not be a bad idea.

* SLMR 2.1a * Energize! said Picard....and this pink bunny appeared...
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to AARON THOMAS on Tuesday, May 31, 2022 16:38:00
    It would be nice if the people who keep calling for *more* gun laws (that
    only affect law abiding citizens) would explain exactly how those new laws will fix the problem.

Yes, I don't understand how Kamala's proposal would fix anything. If a lunatic
    learns that Kamala has banned AK-47s, will that make him want to be less of a killer and more of a hugger?

If you are going to allow an armed sociopath to spend several minutes in a school building, it wouldn't take an unarmed sociopath near as long to gather
    a bunch of people and detonate a bomb.

Nevermind the problem of how did any sociopath gain access to the building
    to begin with.

Parents need to make demands of better security measures in the schools,
    but instead, they are demanding whatever Democrats & the media tell them to demand.

I know of several parents, and teachers, who are demanding better security vs. the sound-byte alternatives.

Less internet would be helpful. People think they can find the answer to anything and everything on the internet. Search queries like "what can I get

Your sentence cut off, but I get the gist of it. There have been studies
    about how high-school kids used to want to be successful in their chosen
    fields but now are more likely to "want to be famous." Famous, to them, is equal to "social media famous." For a kid that has sociopathic tendencies, being "social media famous" for criminal activity that other sociopaths
    enjoy (and click "like" for) is too easy.

Selfish people are incapable of seeing the harm in anything as long as it's "legal." It's legal to cheat on spouses in most states; so leftists probably think of it as "ok to do." Just like coming to the USA with a weak story about
    "I need asylum because there's mean people threatening me back home." Dishonest and selfish, but legal.

A bigger problem is that there seem to be more who don't see the harm in
    doing things that are not legal.

* SLMR 2.1a * Can bankers count? Eight windows and only four tellers?
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to MATT MUNSON on Tuesday, May 31, 2022 16:41:00

So that more of them can claim asylum here.

* SLMR 2.1a * I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Tuesday, May 31, 2022 17:05:00

Not true. 80-some-odd percent of Americans support stronger gun safety laws.

But I bet their definitions are different.

For me, "gun safety" means teaching younger people about the safe way to
    handle a firearm, and the harm that they can do. Also, it means enforcing existing laws and penalties for gun related crimes, especially those that involve repeat offenders.

For others, "gun safety" means "I don't like or want guns in my home, so no
    one else should have one, either."

So if you just ask people in either group if they are for stronger gun
    safety laws, they might both say "yes."

* SLMR 2.1a * Reality-ometer: [\........] Hmmph! Thought so...
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Tuesday, May 31, 2022 16:35:29
    On 31 May 2022, Mike Powell said the following...
    Take it to the two extremes. Unlimited guns for all will not solve the problem of gun violence. Zero guns for anyone would definitely solve the problem. We don't need to take it to either extreme, but we seem intent continuing to move toward the former instead of the latter.
    Zero guns would not solve the problem at all. No guns for felons doesn't solve the problem of felons having guns now because, you know, felons
    have a difficult time following laws.

Zero guns for anyone means zero guns for felons. It's an extreme, remember?

True. But not just felons. Sometimes people with no criminal history
    whatsoever snap and shoot people.

On a somewhat related note, last I checked, it was not conservatives or Republicans who want to restore some/all rights to felons.

That would be voting rights.

With many instances of gun violence, existing laws were not enforce
    Agreed. There should also be increased penalties for people who continue to break existing laws. Supposedly there are but, in reality, these are also not always enforced.

Then that needs to be addressed. The reason(s) they're not enforced needs to
    be identified and addressed. But again, it's not just felons who shoot people.

We may have more laws by count than the era before near-daily mass shoot but we have less regulation in general. Two things happened right about the whole thing started: the 1994 federal assault weapons ban was allowe expire, and the 2008 Supreme Court ruling in District of Columbia v. Hel Those two things drastically changed the firearm landscape and we are st dealing with the after-effects with no end in sight.
    Mass shootings exploded after Columbine. The Heller decision, in particular, did away with a lot of existing gun laws.

Meanwhile we have felons, convicted of gun-related violent crimes, get out of prison, get arrested and charged with "possession of a g a felon" multiple times, and still manage to be back out on the str and armed.
    You're clearly advocating for increased penalties for felons caught in possession of a firearm. That's gonna require either new laws or a chang existing ones. As for how they manage to get their hands on a firearm, t a function of just how many there are in circulation.
    Actually, it does not seem like they are enforcing what they have too
    much but, yes, if they would increase the penalties for repeat offenders by changing/enforcing existing laws, that would not be a bad idea.

True. But again, it's not just felons and repeat offenders that shoot people.

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Tuesday, May 31, 2022 16:55:05
    The problem is that their ignorant sycophants (That's you, Jeff) ar only ones listening to this drivel.
    Not true. 80-some-odd percent of Americans support stronger gun safety l
    For me, "gun safety" means teaching younger people about the safe way to handle a firearm, and the harm that they can do. Also, it means
    enforcing existing laws and penalties for gun related crimes, especially those that involve repeat offenders.

For me, it means making the country more safe from people with guns. I'm
    pretty sure that's the generic definition.

To your point, though: There should not be any such thing as "gun accidents." If firearm safety rules were followed, no one would get shot "accidentally."
    If firearms were properly maintained and not modified, no one would get shot "accidentally." If firearms were properly stored and kept out of the hands of unauthorized and untrained people, no one would get shot "accidentally." If
    gun owners were held legally liable for *anything* that happens with their firearms, there would be a lot fewer firearm "accidents."

The sheer number of firearm "accidents" each year, year after year, indicate that as a whole the American public is not responsible enough to own guns safely.

For others, "gun safety" means "I don't like or want guns in my home, so no one else should have one, either."

Nope.

So if you just ask people in either group if they are for stronger gun safety laws, they might both say "yes."

People generally know what the term means.

Jeff.

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Jeff Thiele on Tuesday, May 31, 2022 22:17:27
    Trump reduced legal immigration, but not illegal immigration. You're trying to characterize some legal immigrants as illegal, but your mischaracterization doesn't mean squat to anyone.

Don't try to BS the legal migrants by saying that Trump was their enemy. Without Trump, legal migrants didn't have a good country to come to, just like they don't now either. A country that doesn't track everyone who comes in is a security risk, and stack that up with record high inflation, record high crime, and record high distrust of a white house regime.

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Jeff Thiele on Tuesday, May 31, 2022 23:04:50
    Yep, here we go. If the current laws allow asylum seekers to enter our country, then they are legal immigrants. That your solution would involve changing laws means that you are definitely trying to mischaracterize legal immigrants as illegal.

Yes.

Limiting refugees to only those where the violence is from the
    government is a strange distinction to make, as it would make anyone
    from an invaded country (such as Ukraine) ineligible.

* Violence from their own government, or violence from war. How bout that?

"help" people who say they're "escaping" the "<same bs we deal with i the usa>"
    BS. In some cases its war, which we do not have in the US. In other cases it's gang violence ignored by corrupt ofiicials, to a degree that we do not yet have here in the US.

It's not our duty to correct the wrongs of other governments until they invade our space.

Biden has suggested it sumbliminally with his grand re-opening of the human smuggling railroad. Notice how he doesn't call on congress to write a bill to update our policies? He doesn't call on them to do anything, because he's fine with ruling authoritarian style. I ain't fine with it though.

We don't have baby food or food shortages here. We have a temporary baby formula shortage.

Great job. You should give Biden your card..

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Jeff Thiele on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 02:17:58
    Nope! Because it's Joe's violent
    crime crisis that bothers us more than some stolen food.

You're not trying to blame our violent crime crisis on Biden's refugee policy, are you?

Not yet.

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Mike Powell on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 02:42:49
    I know of several parents, and teachers, who are demanding better
    security vs. the sound-byte alternatives.

I hope they get what they're asking for! School officials are liars sometimes, but I bet they are on board with not getting shot.

A bigger problem is that there seem to be more who don't see the harm in doing things that are not legal.

There's less incentive to obey the law these days. If a law hurts someone, then Democrats just remove the law instead of fixing it.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Aaron Thomas on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 08:19:25
    Trump reduced legal immigration, but not illegal immigration. You're trying to characterize some legal immigrants as illegal, but your mischaracterization doesn't mean squat to anyone.
    Don't try to BS the legal migrants by saying that Trump was their enemy.

`He certainly wasn't their friend.

Without Trump, legal migrants didn't have a good country to come to,
    just like they don't now either.

Trump refused entry to as many legal migrants as he could. Of those who did enter, many were sent back to squalid refugee camps in Mexico to await their immigration court dates, and many others were separated from their families. Some families have not been reunited to this day.

A country that doesn't track everyone
    who comes in is a security risk,

Legal migrants are tracked.

and stack that up with record high
    inflation,

Inflation is not at a record high, and is still better than the conditions
    they are fleeing.

record high crime,

Crime is not at a record high, and is still better that the conditions tey
    are fleeing.

and record high distrust of a white house
    regime.

Trump and his administration were highly distrusted, especially by migrants.

As usual, all you've got is another pack of lies.

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Aaron Thomas on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 08:28:33
    Yep, here we go. If the current laws allow asylum seekers to enter ou country, then they are legal immigrants. That your solution would inv changing laws means that you are definitely trying to mischaracterize legal immigrants as illegal.
    Yes.

Well, at least you're honest about your dishonesty.

Limiting refugees to only those where the violence is from the government is a strange distinction to make, as it would make anyone from an invaded country (such as Ukraine) ineligible.
    * Violence from their own government, or violence from war. How bout
    that?

How about violence, period? Why don't you tell us specifically what violence you're looking to exclude?

"help" people who say they're "escaping" the "<same bs we deal w the usa>"
    BS. In some cases its war, which we do not have in the US. In other c it's gang violence ignored by corrupt ofiicials, to a degree that we not yet have here in the US.
    It's not our duty to correct the wrongs of other governments until they invade our space.

It is our moral duty to help those who ask us for it.

Biden has suggested it sumbliminally with his grand re-opening of the human smuggling railroad.
    Refugee immigration is not human smuggling.

Notice how he doesn't call on congress to
    write a bill to update our policies? He doesn't call on them to do anything, because he's fine with ruling authoritarian style. I ain't
    fine with it though.

Trump;s Remain in Mexico policy did not go through Congress, nor did his
    policy to separate families, nor did his wall. And you were fine with it.

We don't have baby food or food shortages here. We have a temporary b formula shortage.
    Great job. You should give Biden your card..

This is particularly relevant because a lot of the photos purporting to show baby formula being stockpiled at the border were photos of baby food,
    primarily applesauce. There is formula at the border, but that's not what the photos were showing.

Jeff.

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Jeff Thiele on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 16:59:22
    Hello Jeff,

Kamala Harris says "Let's have an assault weapons ban" in her
    extremely
    delayed response to the recent Texas school shooting.
    It would be nice if the people who keep calling for *more* gun laws
    (that
    only affect law abiding citizens) would explain exactly how those new

Take it to the two extremes. Unlimited guns for all will not solve the problem of gun violence. Zero guns for anyone would definitely solve the problem. We don't need to take it to either extreme, but we seem intent on continuing to move toward the former instead of the latter.

Japan did away with all guns in the 19th century. Then was invaded
    by Western powers. Trying to gain their ancient lands back using only
    swords proved to be too demanding, so the shoguns brought back guns.
    Then came Pearl Harbor ...

Oh, come now. Assault rifles (such as AR-15s) and ammo should not
    be sold to civilians, but only to qualified military or ex-military.
    How many more mass shootings (4 or more people) have to happen? How
    many more innocent men, women and children have to die due to easy
    access to guns? There is something seriously wrong with this country.
    And it needs to be fixed, NOW!

--Lee

--
    Our Nuts, Your Mouth

--- MesNews/1.08.05.00-gb
    * Origin: news://eljaco.se:4119 (2:203/2)
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Lee Lofaso on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 10:10:36
    On 01 Jun 2022, Lee Lofaso said the following...
    Take it to the two extremes. Unlimited guns for all will not solve th problem of gun violence. Zero guns for anyone would definitely solve problem. We don't need to take it to either extreme, but we seem inte continuing to move toward the former instead of the latter.
    Japan did away with all guns in the 19th century. Then was invaded
    by Western powers. Trying to gain their ancient lands back using only swords proved to be too demanding, so the shoguns brought back guns.
    Then came Pearl Harbor ...

Of course our military needs guns. That's the original intent of the 2nd amendment.

With many instances of gun violence, existing laws were not enforced
    That is a problem that needs to be addressed. Perhaps there need to b increased penalties for not enforcing existing laws.
    Oh, come now. Assault rifles (such as AR-15s) and ammo should not
    be sold to civilians, but only to qualified military or ex-military.
    How many more mass shootings (4 or more people) have to happen? How
    many more innocent men, women and children have to die due to easy
    access to guns? There is something seriously wrong with this country.
    And it needs to be fixed, NOW!

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Jeff.

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Jeff Thiele on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 13:55:10
    Don't try to BS the legal migrants by saying that Trump was their ene

To a normal person, "legal migrants" are people who apply for visas. To you, "legal migrants" are people who are taking advantage of a flawed refugee
    system *because it's legal*

await their immigration court dates, and many others were separated from their families. Some families have not been reunited to this day.

You're as useful as Joy Behar when you still talk about "separated from familes." Thousands of unaccompanied minors are flocking to the southern border, parentless, and you're complaining about Trump's treatment of migrants years ago. That was then, this is now. Has Kamala found out what the
    childrens' root causes were yet? She would make a terrible CYS employee.

That's not enough. We need to start tracking illegal migrants.

Inflation is not at a record high, and is still better than the
    conditions they are fleeing.

It's the highest it's been in 40 years according to NBCNews. You don't know what the people of the world are fleeing from, you're just generalizing and assuming, racistly.

Highly distrusted by fake refugee migrants, but highly respected by migrants who came here through the visa program.

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Jeff Thiele on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 14:17:16
    * Violence from their own government, or violence from war. How bout that?

How about violence, period? Why don't you tell us specifically what violence you're looking to exclude?

Violence that is not known to exist in the USA. Stop telling people to come here to escape from "gang violence" even if "the gang members where they come from are more hostile than American gang members, based on gay statistics."

It's not our duty to correct the wrongs of other governments until th invade our space.

Did the human smuggling industry ask for our help?

Not when they are real refugees coming from war zones. But your friends are
    at the Mexico/US border, they're humans that have been smuggled.

Trump;s Remain in Mexico policy did not go through Congress, nor did his policy to separate families, nor did his wall. And you were fine with it.

Because it worked. People would have been fine with Biden's orders too, had they worked. They're not working for Americans, they're only working for the human smuggling industry.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Aaron Thomas on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 14:55:12
    On 01 Jun 2022, Aaron Thomas said the following...
    Don't try to BS the legal migrants by saying that Trump was thei
    To a normal person, "legal migrants" are people who apply for visas. To you, "legal migrants" are people who are taking advantage of a flawed refugee system *because it's legal*

To a normal person, "legal migrants" are people who migrate legally. If it's legal, it's legal. If it's illegal, it's illegal. Calling something that's legal "illegal" because you disagree with it doesn't actually make it legal. Any normal person knows that.

await their immigration court dates, and many others were separated f their families. Some families have not been reunited to this day.
    You're as useful as Joy Behar when you still talk about "separated from familes." Thousands of unaccompanied minors are flocking to the southern border, parentless, and you're complaining about Trump's treatment of migrants years ago. That was then, this is now. Has Kamala found out
    what the childrens' root causes were yet? She would make a terrible CYS employee.

We were discussing Trump's treatment of legal migrants. In that context, my comments were quite relevant.

That's not enough. We need to start tracking illegal migrants.

And how do you propose we track actual illegal migrants? If they're truly
    here illegally, they get deported when caught. Refugees go through the legal immigration process.

Inflation is not at a record high, and is still better than the conditions they are fleeing.
    It's the highest it's been in 40 years according to NBCNews. You don't know what the people of the world are fleeing from, you're just generalizing and assuming, racistly.

I trust the immigration officials whose job it is to screen them, and the immigration judges whose job it is to hear their cases. That's not racist.

Highly distrusted by fake refugee migrants, but highly respected by migrants who came here through the visa program.

Refugees aren't "fake migrants." And Trump got voted out, did you forget?

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Aaron Thomas on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 15:00:11
    * Violence from their own government, or violence from war. How that?
    Violence that is not known to exist in the USA. Stop telling people to come here to escape from "gang violence" even if "the gang members where they come from are more hostile than American gang members, based on gay statistics."

Violence is violence. And "gay statistics," really? Are you homophobic as
    well as racist?

It's not our duty to correct the wrongs of other governments unt invade our space.

No, and they have not received our help. You are mischaracterizing the
    refugee situation, just like you're mischaracterizing legal immigrants as illegal. Your entire argument is based on obvious lies.

Not when they are real refugees coming from war zones. But your friends are at the Mexico/US border, they're humans that have been smuggled.

No, they're not.

Trump;s Remain in Mexico policy did not go through Congress, nor did policy to separate families, nor did his wall. And you were fine with
    Because it worked. People would have been fine with Biden's orders too, had they worked. They're not working for Americans, they're only working for the human smuggling industry.

You previously said that you were not ok with Biden's "authoritarian"
    approach. Now you would be, provided it agreed with your agenda? Nice.

Jeff.

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 16:48:00
    Take it to the two extremes. Unlimited guns for all will not solve the problem of gun violence. Zero guns for anyone would definitely solve th
    problem. We don't need to take it to either extreme, but we seem intent
    continuing to move toward the former instead of the latter.
    Zero guns would not solve the problem at all. No guns for felons doesn't
    solve the problem of felons having guns now because, you know, felons have a difficult time following laws.

There are Zero for felons now but they get them. There are not zero guns
    in existence now, so that cat is out of the bag. It is an extreme that is
    not likely to be a success.

In the case of "some" rights, that is usually the case.

Agreed. There should also be increased penalties for people who continue
    to break existing laws. Supposedly there are but, in reality, these are also not always enforced.

Then that needs to be addressed. The reason(s) they're not enforced needs to be identified and addressed. But again, it's not just felons who shoot people.

Yes, it needs addressing.

* SLMR 2.1a * ADVENTURE: The land between entertainment and panic.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 16:51:00
    For me, it means making the country more safe from people with guns. I'm pretty sure that's the generic definition.

For others, "gun safety" means "I don't like or want guns in my home, so no one else should have one, either."

Nope.

Um, yes, there are those who believe that. They believe they cannot have
    what gun safety means to you without having a world where no one has a gun.

So if you just ask people in either group if they are for stronger gun safety laws, they might both say "yes."

It means what it means to them.

* SLMR 2.1a * Never draw fire, it irritates everyone around you.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 17:38:00
    immigration court dates, and many others were separated from their families. Some families have not been reunited to this day.

That never happened under previous administrations.

* SLMR 2.1a * Cats remind us that not everything in Nature has purpose.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 17:12:54
    On 01 Jun 2022, Mike Powell said the following...
    Zero guns for anyone means zero guns for felons. It's an extreme, rememb
    There are Zero for felons now but they get them. There are not zero guns in existence now, so that cat is out of the bag. It is an extreme that
    is not likely to be a success.

I already said that the extreme is not the goal. It's a thought experiment. It's a spectrum along which more guns result in more crime.

On a somewhat related note, last I checked, it was not conservative Republicans who want to restore some/all rights to felons.
    In the case of "some" rights, that is usually the case.

Nuance exists.

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 17:14:33
    For me, it means making the country more safe from people with guns. I'm pretty sure that's the generic definition.
    For others, "gun safety" means "I don't like or want guns in my hom no one else should have one, either."
    Nope.
    Um, yes, there are those who believe that. They believe they cannot have what gun safety means to you without having a world where no one has a gun.

They are in an extreme minority. Most people believe that there are
    legitimate reasons to own a gun, but that privileges can be abused.

So if you just ask people in either group if they are for stronger safety laws, they might both say "yes."
    It means what it means to them.

Most people agree on what it means.

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 17:27:47
    immigration court dates, and many others were separated from their famil Some families have not been reunited to this day.

True. That was all Trump. What's your point?

Jeff.

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Jeff Thiele on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 22:34:29
    To a normal person, "legal migrants" are people who migrate legally. If it's legal, it's legal. If it's illegal, it's illegal. Calling something that's legal "illegal" because you disagree with it doesn't actually
    make it legal. Any normal person knows that.

Any honest person knows that it's not right to take things just because
    they're "eligible." If I were "eligible" to waste taxypayer money I would disregard the opportunity.

And how do you propose we track actual illegal migrants? If they're truly here illegally, they get deported when caught. Refugees go through the legal immigration process.

That's because you live in Texas. It's not like that everywhere. You tend to only look at things from your mom's concrete slab foundation. ;) Migrants are protected from deportation by liberal judges; shielded from immigration officers.

Tracking real illegal immigrants won't be possible until Joe's refugee tsunami is resolved. It's a diversion.

I trust the immigration officials whose job it is to screen them, and the immigration judges whose job it is to hear their cases. That's not
    racist.

That's fine, it's all of your generalizing and assuming that's racist.

Refugees aren't "fake migrants." And Trump got voted out, did you forget?

No, but they're "fake refugees." And Trump didn't get voted out by visa
    holders because they aren't allowed to vote.

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Jeff Thiele on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 22:37:24
    Violence that is not known to exist in the USA. Stop telling people t come here to escape from "gang violence" even if "the gang members wh they come from are more hostile than American gang members, based on statistics."

Violence is violence. And "gay statistics," really? Are you homophobic as well as racist?

If I were racist then congress would be taking a vote on me. If I were homophobic then I wouldn't be chatting about politics with a bunch of dudes from under my mom's trailer.

• From Björn Felten@2:203/2 to Jeff Thiele on Thursday, June 02, 2022 01:01:33
    I already said that the extreme is not the goal. It's a thought experiment.
    It's a spectrum along which more guns result in more crime.

How come nobody asks the most important question, why does this happen *only* in the USA, to this extreme extent?

I mean, just look at the US mass shootings statistics for 2022, five months in. Nowhere else in the entire world is it even remotely this extreme.

Month Shootings Dead Wounded

January 41 59 128
    February 43 40 174
    March 52 47 217
    April 66 75 271
    May 67 87 324

( https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting )
    ( shortened https://tinyurl.com/56394bza )

"Something is rotten in the state of the USA."

--- Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; sv-SE; rv:1.9.1.16) Gecko/20101125
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Aaron Thomas on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 18:12:56
    To a normal person, "legal migrants" are people who migrate legally. it's legal, it's legal. If it's illegal, it's illegal. Calling someth that's legal "illegal" because you disagree with it doesn't actually make it legal. Any normal person knows that.
    Any honest person knows that it's not right to take things just because they're "eligible." If I were "eligible" to waste taxypayer money I would disregard the opportunity.

That still doesn't make them illegal.

And how do you propose we track actual illegal migrants? If they're t here illegally, they get deported when caught. Refugees go through th legal immigration process.
    That's because you live in Texas. It's not like that everywhere. You
    tend to only look at things from your mom's concrete slab foundation. ;) Migrants are protected from deportation by liberal judges; shielded from immigration officers.

Are they "protected" from immigration because thair claims are justified? Are the "shielded" from immigration officers because they're not subject to deportation?

It's really difficult to understand what you're trying to say knowing that
    you have your own legal system in your head that does not sync with that of
    the real world.

Tracking real illegal immigrants won't be possible until Joe's refugee tsunami is resolved. It's a diversion.

BS. Why do you think they are detained?

I trust the immigration officials whose job it is to screen them, and immigration judges whose job it is to hear their cases. That's not racist.
    That's fine, it's all of your generalizing and assuming that's racist.

I'm not generalizing or assuming anything.

Highly distrusted by fake refugee migrants, but highly respected migrants who came here through the visa program.
    Refugees aren't "fake migrants." And Trump got voted out, did you for
    No, but they're "fake refugees." And Trump didn't get voted out by visa holders because they aren't allowed to vote.

You wouldn't be "generalizing and assuming," now would you?

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Aaron Thomas on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 18:14:50
    Violence that is not known to exist in the USA. Stop telling peo come here to escape from "gang violence" even if "the gang membe they come from are more hostile than American gang members, base statistics."
    Violence is violence. And "gay statistics," really? Are you homophobi well as racist?
    If I were racist then congress would be taking a vote on me.

What is that even supposed to mean? You've made racist comments in the past.

If I were
    homophobic then I wouldn't be chatting about politics with a bunch of dudes from under my mom's trailer.

Why are there dudes under your mom's trailer? And how do you know they're
    gay? And why are you making homophobic slurs?

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Björn Felten on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 18:19:04
    On 02 Jun 2022, Björn Felten said the following...
    I already said that the extreme is not the goal. It's a thought experiment.
    How come nobody asks the most important question, why does this happen *only* in the USA, to this extreme extent?

People do ask that question, a lot. They get ignored. Everybody knows the answer, but conservative politicians are too chickensh!t to admit it.

I mean, just look at the US mass shootings statistics for 2022, five months in. Nowhere else in the entire world is it even remotely this extreme.

Yep.

Jeff.

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Jeff Thiele on Thursday, June 02, 2022 01:52:48
    Jeff Thiele -> Mike Powell expressed precisely :
    Take it to the two extremes. Unlimited guns for all will not solve
    the
    problem of gun violence. Zero guns for anyone would definitely
    solve the
    problem. We don't need to take it to either extreme, but we seem
    intent
    continuing to move toward the former instead of the latter.
    Zero guns would not solve the problem at all. No guns for felons
    doesn't
    solve the problem of felons having guns now because, you know, felons
    have a difficult time following laws.

With the result being no crime.

True. But not just felons. Sometimes people with no criminal history whatsoever snap and shoot people.

The 18-year-old shooter in Uvalde, Texas had no criminal record,
    and no history of mental illness. And yet the governor of Texas said
    he was nuts and needed treatment. That is the solution to all this
    violence, and would put an end to all these mass shootings. So let's
    round up all the people we think are nuts and put them in the loony
    bin so that we can help them. Then throw away the key so we can all
    go about doing our own business in peace and safety.

Guilty by accusation. No wonder the people in Uvalde booed him
    when he showed up to give the eulogy at the victims' funerals ...

On a somewhat related note, last I checked, it was not MP>conservatives
    or Republicans who want to restore some/all rights to felons.

Most conservative Republicans are in favor of restoring voting rights
    to ex-felons. There are differences as to exactly when, but most are in
    favor.

Bernie Sanders is in favor of allowing felons (still locked up)
    to have the same voting rights as everybody else. I mean, why wait
    until they are released? As it is right now, they are represented,
    but are currently disenfranchised. And that is totally unfair ...

Mass shootings exploded after Columbine. The Heller decision, in particular,
    did away with a lot of existing gun laws.

The USSC shifted away from how it had previously viewed the 2nd
    amendment away from "a well-regulated militia" in favor of being
    a tool to guarantee gun manufacturers to make and sell as many
    guns (of all types) at it wants to whoever it wants. This shift
    happened after 1980, when Ronald Reagan took office as POTUS.

[..]

Most guns are bought legally. By folks with no criminal record,
    and no history of mental illness. Like that 18-year-old shooter
    in Texas.

--Lee

--
    Always in beta

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Jeff Thiele on Thursday, June 02, 2022 01:53:06
    Hello Jeff,

The problem is that their ignorant sycophants (That's you,
    Jeff) ar
    only ones listening to this drivel.
    Not true. 80-some-odd percent of Americans support stronger gun
    safety l
    For me, "gun safety" means teaching younger people about the safe way
    to
    handle a firearm, and the harm that they can do. Also, it means
    enforcing existing laws and penalties for gun related crimes,
    especially
    those that involve repeat offenders.

Identifying crazy people and sending them to mental institutions
    is not the answer. The problem is easy access to guns, especially
    guns such as assault-style weapons like AR-15s (and ammo), which
    were designed with only one purpose - to kill people. Weapons such
    as those should only be allowed for military/ex-military to have.

--Lee

--
    Lock him up!

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Lee Lofaso on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 19:11:43
    On 02 Jun 2022, Lee Lofaso said the following...

Well, no gun-related crime, at least.

in Texas.

Nobody is born a felon. There's a first time for everyting.

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Lee Lofaso on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 19:16:36
    For me, it means making the country more safe from people with guns. pretty sure that's the generic definition.

Yep. And ex-military is debatable. PTSD is a horrible thing.

Jeff.

• From Dale Shipp@1:261/1466 to Lee Lofaso on Thursday, June 02, 2022 01:29:02
    On 06-02-22 01:53, Lee Lofaso <=-
    spoke to Jeff Thiele about She's Back <=-

Why should ex-military be allowed to own such weapons? I was in the
    military more than 50 years ago. Are you saying that I should be
    allowed to have an AR-15, but that non-vetrans should not?

My edit of your statement would be "only be allowed for military and law enforcement officers for use in their official duties".

Dale Shipp
    fido_261_1466 (at) verizon (dot) net
    (1:261/1466)

... Shipwrecked in Silver Spring, Maryland. 01:33:18, 02 Jun 2022
    ___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.30

--- Maximus/NT 3.01
    * Origin: Owl's Anchor (1:261/1466)
  • From Ron L.@1:120/616 to Mike Powell on Thursday, June 02, 2022 09:26:08
    Mike Powell wrote to JEFF THIELE <=-

Ya, but in this case, the felons would be limited in their actions because some people might shoot back.

Agreed. There should also be increased penalties for people who
    continue to break existing laws. Supposedly there are but, in reality, these are also not always enforced.

There is already a federal law on the books that basically says that if a person who was convicted of a felony even touches a gun, it's automatic prison time.

A while back, some states started turning such cases over to the feds and many felons had a fast track back to prison - and had great success in reducing gun crime. But then a Democrat got installed and his AG (i.e. Janet Reno) refused to prosecute and that ended.

... I'm not dead, I'm metabolically challenged.

--- Mystic BBS/QWK v1.12 A47 2021/12/25 (Windows/32)
  • From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Jeff Thiele on Thursday, June 02, 2022 17:41:27
    Hello Jeff,

Zero guns for anyone means zero guns for felons. It's an extreme,
    remember?

Well, no gun-related crime, at least.

Worked in Japan. For a while. For the unenlightened, it should be
    noted that Mount Fuji is the favorite place for Japanese to suicide.
    They usually do it the traditional way, by sword ...

True. But again, it's not just felons and repeat offenders that
    shoot
    people.
    in Texas.

Nobody is born a felon. There's a first time for everyting.

Original sin. Makes us all a felon at birth. All because of Eve.
    Now you know why Trump called Hillary a "nasty woman" ...

--Lee

--
    Travel should take you places

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Jeff Thiele on Thursday, June 02, 2022 17:41:55
    Hello Jeff,

For me, it means making the country more safe from people with JT>guns.
    pretty sure that's the generic definition.

Yep. And ex-military is debatable. PTSD is a horrible thing.

Let's not forget about large capacity magazines. Those assault
    style weapons ain't no fun unless one can shoot multiple rounds
    with each blast.

But hey. Let's cut the governor of Texas some slack.

Why make the distinction between actual nutcases and those who
    might be nutcases? Just lock 'em all up to be sure so nobody gets
    hurt. That is the solution, according to the governor of Texas.
    I mean, guns don't kill people. Nutcases do.

--Lee

--
    No Trump! No KKK! No fascist USA!

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Lee Lofaso on Thursday, June 02, 2022 11:23:36
    with each blast.

Indeed. The 1994 assault weapons ban was also a ban on magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds.

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Lee Lofaso on Thursday, June 02, 2022 11:24:32

That, as Mike would say, is a job for the thought police.

Jeff.

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Dale Shipp on Thursday, June 02, 2022 19:34:39
    Hello Dale,

Why should ex-military be allowed to own such weapons? I was in the military more than 50 years ago. Are you saying that I should be
    allowed to have an AR-15, but that non-vetrans should not?

That was President Bill Clinton's thinking, in 1994. Except he
    also thought non-veterans who had such guns (and ammo) whould also
    be allowed to keep them.

My edit of your statement would be "only be allowed for military and law enforcement officers for use in their official duties".

That is a much improved answer, but imagine the outcry from gun nuts.

The 1994 law banned the "manufacture, transfer, and possession" of
    about 118 firearm models and all magazines holding more than 10 rounds. However, people who already owned such weaponry could keep it.

What that meant, in effect, was that people could still get hold
    of those weapons (and large capacity magazines) even though a ban
    was in place.

What we need is a new ban - with real teeth - and no loopholes.

--Lee

--
    Make Sure Your Next Erection Is In Safe Hands

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Thursday, June 02, 2022 16:52:00
    There are Zero for felons now but they get them. There are not zero guns
    in existence now, so that cat is out of the bag. It is an extreme that is not likely to be a success.

I already said that the extreme is not the goal. It's a thought experiment. It's a spectrum along which more guns result in more crime.

Not more crime, just different crimes. I am one that does not believe that
    the availability of a gun is what determines whether or not a criminal will commit a crime. It would cut down on accidents, and possibly a few crimes
    of passion, but the complete absence of firearms only causes a criminal to change their MO.

* SLMR 2.1a * As confused as a baby at a topless bar.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Thursday, June 02, 2022 16:25:00
    immigration court dates, and many others were separated from their fami
    Some families have not been reunited to this day.

That was sarcasm, and it did.

* SLMR 2.1a * PCMCIA = People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to RON L. on Thursday, June 02, 2022 16:31:00

Ya, but in this case, the felons would be limited in their actions because som
    people might shoot back.

Agreed. There are plenty of examples of where this happens. Armed
    criminals feel much safer in places like Chicago, where they don't expect
    it's as likely that someone will be armed and fire back.

Agreed. There should also be increased penalties for people who continue to break existing laws. Supposedly there are but, in reality, these are also not always enforced.

There is already a federal law on the books that basically says that if a person who was convicted of a felony even touches a gun, it's automatic prison
    time.

Yes, but they don't seem to enforce it, at least not in Leftyvi... er, Louisville, Kentucky they do not.

A while back, some states started turning such cases over to the feds and many
    felons had a fast track back to prison - and had great success in reducing gun
    crime. But then a Democrat got installed and his AG (i.e. Janet Reno) refused
    to prosecute and that ended.

Yep. Ironic, they are supposedly the ones who can fix our gun crime
    problems but yet didn't want to prosecute gun-crime felons.

* SLMR 2.1a * "Heh, heh, 2400 baud connects suck!" -- V.bis & Baudhead
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Thursday, June 02, 2022 16:38:00
    And how do you propose we track actual illegal migrants? If they're truly here illegally, they get deported when caught. Refugees go through the legal immigration process.

If a person enters illegally (not at a marked border crossing), they can
    claim "asylum," which suddenly makes them "legal" and increases the chance
    that they might get to stay and not get deported.

Only the dumb ones get immediately deported when caught.

* SLMR 2.1a * I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Thursday, June 02, 2022 16:47:44
    On 02 Jun 2022, Mike Powell said the following...
    I already said that the extreme is not the goal. It's a thought experime It's a spectrum along which more guns result in more crime.
    Not more crime, just different crimes. I am one that does not believe that the availability of a gun is what determines whether or not a criminal will commit a crime. It would cut down on accidents, and possibly a few crimes of passion, but the complete absence of firearms only causes a criminal to change their MO.

Less deadly crimes.

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Thursday, June 02, 2022 17:13:18
    Some families have not been reunited to this day.
    That was sarcasm, and it did.

When?

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Thursday, June 02, 2022 17:18:55
    Ya, but in this case, the felons would be limited in their actions becau som
    people might shoot back.
    Agreed. There are plenty of examples of where this happens. Armed criminals feel much safer in places like Chicago, where they don't expect it's as likely that someone will be armed and fire back.

Using Chicago as an example is incredibly dated, as the laws have changed significantly since the usage of it as an example began.

Since the shooting in Uvalde, we've had another in Texas and one in Oklahoma. These are not Chicago, and "more guns" does not work.

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Thursday, June 02, 2022 17:27:37
    And how do you propose we track actual illegal migrants? If they're tr here illegally, they get deported when caught. Refugees go through the legal immigration process.
    If a person enters illegally (not at a marked border crossing), they can claim "asylum," which suddenly makes them "legal" and increases the
    chance that they might get to stay and not get deported.

If they claim asylum, they ar not simply let go. They are detained and screened, where they have to make a case that they are eligible for asylum. These are fairly in-depth screenings and just claiming to have experienced violence is not enough. If they make it through the screening, then they are "legal." Otherwise, they're deported.

People who enter seeking asylum also tend to turn themselves in to the first Border Patrol agent they can find, whereas people who enter seeking illegal residency tend to avoid the Border Patrol at all cost. There are behavioral differences that can be observed, and they are two distinctly different
    groups of people.

For some reason, certain people seem to think that as soon as they say the
    word "asylum," they're handed a plane ticket to New York, and that's simply
    not how it works.

Being dumb increases their chances of getting caught, but that's true of most criminals.

Jeff.

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Jeff Thiele on Friday, June 03, 2022 02:06:53
    Hello Jeff,

with each blast.

Indeed. The 1994 assault weapons ban was also a ban on magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds.

But folks who already had such weapons (and ammo) were allowed
    to keep them. That's the loophole. A huge loophole.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi says new legislation for a ban will be
    introduced in the House very soon. I wonder if she will allow
    for the same loophole?

--Lee

--
    Often Licked, Never Beaten

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Jeff Thiele on Friday, June 03, 2022 02:06:59
    Hello Jeff,

That, as Mike would say, is a job for the thought police.

PKD knew what was writing about. Despite the LSD he was on. Or
    whatever he was smoking at the time. Minority Report was one of
    my favorite reads (aside from The Man in the High Castle). And
    one of Tom Cruise's best acting jobs.

--Lee

--
    Laying Pipe Since '88

• From Ron L.@1:120/616 to Mike Powell on Friday, June 03, 2022 09:09:09
    Mike Powell wrote to Dr. What <=-

Yep. Ironic, they are supposedly the ones who can fix our gun crime problems but yet didn't want to prosecute gun-crime felons.

"Ironic" is not the word that I'd use.

Lefties have a long track record of doing the opposite of what they say.

... Chemists don't die, they just stop reacting!

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Friday, June 03, 2022 08:47:48
    A while back, some states started turning such cases over to the feds an
    many
    felons had a fast track back to prison - and had great success in reduci
    gun
    crime. But then a Democrat got installed and his AG (i.e. Janet Reno)
    refused
    Yep. Ironic, they are supposedly the ones who can fix our gun crime problems but yet didn't want to prosecute gun-crime felons.

If this were true, wouldn't we expect to see increases in prosecution by the intervening Republican administrations? Also, didn't Janet Reno have a couple of pretty high-profile firearm-related cases involving a certain family in Idaho and a certain cult in Texas?

Jeff.

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Aaron Thomas on Friday, June 03, 2022 18:22:46
    Hello Aaron,

* Violence from their own government, or violence from war. How
    bout
    that?

How about violence, period? Why don't you tell us specifically what
    violence you're looking to exclude?

Violence that is not known to exist in the USA. Stop telling people to come
    here to escape from "gang violence" even if "the gang members where they come
    from are more hostile than American gang members, based on gay statistics."

State-sanctioned murder exists in the USA. Admnistered not only at
    the federal level, but also by several states. Different methods are
    used, but usually limited to the method chosen by the condemned if
    given a choice, or by the state default method. At the federal level,
    all condemned are given lethal injection. At the state level, it
    differs between gas chamber, firing squad, electric chair, lethal
    injection, and maybe novel means never thought of. This is all done
    in our name, whether we like it or not.

It's not our duty to correct the wrongs of other governments
    until th
    invade our space.

All a smuggler wants is money. Once a smuggler gets what s/he wants,
    nothing else matters.

Not when they are real refugees coming from war zones.

Then why are we allowing so few numbers of real refugees from
    war zones into our country? Other countries are doing their part.
    But we choose to renege on our promises to those who yearn to be
    free of their oppressors.

But your friends are at the Mexico/US border, they're humans that have been
    smuggled.

Where is your evidence to support your claim? Oh, you don't have
    any. Just random thoughts that make no sense.

Trump;s Remain in Mexico policy did not go through Congress, nor did
    his
    policy to separate families, nor did his wall. And you were fine with
    it.

Because it worked.

Separating parents/legal guardians from their children worked wonders
    in regards to breaking apart families. Putting them back together again
    not so much. Which is why it has been taking so long for the Biden administration to fix things, putting those families back together
    again.

People would have been fine with Biden's orders too, had they worked.

Biden is not stupid and never had a "zero tolerance" policy in regards
    to immigration. That was Trump's baby, and even Trump himself had to
    ditch it when things went AWOL.

They're not working for Americans, they're only working for the
    human smuggling industry.

Human smuggling is a crime, and those who engage in such activities
    are brought to justice.

--Lee

--
    Get Her Wet Here

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Jeff Thiele on Friday, June 03, 2022 18:23:18
    Hello Jeff,

* Violence from their own government, or violence from war.
    How
    that?
    How about violence, period? Why don't you tell us specifically
    what
    violence you're looking to exclude?
    Violence that is not known to exist in the USA. Stop telling people
    to
    come here to escape from "gang violence" even if "the gang members
    where
    they come from are more hostile than American gang members, based on
    gay
    statistics."

Violence is violence. And "gay statistics," really? Are you homophobic as well as racist?

A homophobic gay boy, hiding out with other dudes, under his mom's
    trailer. You want to meet them, you know where to find them ...

Violence begets violence. More violence begets more violence. It is
    a never-ending game. Only one way to stop such violence. And we all
    know the answer.

It's not our duty to correct the wrongs of other
    governments unt
    invade our space.

No, and they have not received our help. You are mischaracterizing the refugee situation, just like you're mischaracterizing legal immigrants as illegal. Your entire argument is based on obvious lies.

Can't blame him. Mimicking what others have told him is human.
    Look at how many others have followed cult leaders, mindlessly
    and without question. This is not limited to religion (aka Jim
    Jones, David Koresh), but also other realms such as politics
    (aka Benito Mussolini, Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin).

Not when they are real refugees coming from war zones. But your friends
    are at the Mexico/US border, they're humans that have been smuggled.

No, they're not.

Most are not smuggled in. Those who are usually get caught within
    a short period of time, and then deported.

Trump;s Remain in Mexico policy did not go through Congress, nor
    did
    policy to separate families, nor did his wall. And you were fine
    with
    Because it worked. People would have been fine with Biden's orders
    too,
    had they worked. They're not working for Americans, they're only
    working
    for the human smuggling industry.

You previously said that you were not ok with Biden's "authoritarian" approach. Now you would be, provided it agreed with your agenda? Nice.

People do have the right to change their mind. :)

--Lee

--
    Donald Trump! Go away! Racist, sexist, anti-gay!

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Aaron Thomas on Friday, June 03, 2022 18:23:31
    Hello Aaron,

Violence that is not known to exist in the USA. Stop telling
    people t
    come here to escape from "gang violence" even if "the gang
    members wh
    they come from are more hostile than American gang members,
    based on
    statistics."

Violence is violence. And "gay statistics," really? Are you
    homophobic as
    well as racist?

If I were racist then congress would be taking a vote on me. If I were homophobic then I wouldn't be chatting about politics with a bunch of dudes
    from under my mom's trailer.

A racist gay boy hiding out under his mom's trailer. With other gay
    boys to play with. So what do y'all chat about if not about politics?

Oh, never mind. I don't even want to know ...

--Lee

--
    What beer drinkers drink when they're not drinking beer

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to ALL on Friday, June 03, 2022 18:23:50
    There are Zero for felons now but they get them. There are not
    zero guns
    in existence now, so that cat is out of the bag. It is an extreme
    that
    is not likely to be a success.

I already said that the extreme is not the goal. It's a thought
    experiment.

Not more crime, just different crimes. I am one that does not believe that
    the availability of a gun is what determines whether or not a criminal will
    commit a crime.

Guns don't kill people. Crazy people do.

Take away access of certain types of guns (and large capacity
    magazines), crazy people cannot get hold of them.

Crazy people with guns kill lots of people. Which is why those
    guns should never be allowed to be sold to such people in the first
    place. Or to any civilian, for that matter.

Mass shooting in Uvalde. Shooter buys a gun. Then an assault
    style weapon (and large capacity magazine) the next day. Then
    goes on shooting rampage, killing 19 kids and 2 adults. Border
    Patrol then takes out shooter, as local cops too chickenshit
    to confront him.

Mass shooting in Tulsa. Shooter buys two guns, one of them
    an assault style weapon (with ammo). Same day as shooting that
    left four people dead.

It would cut down on accidents, and possibly a few crimes of passion, but the complete absence of firearms only causes a criminal to change their MO.

Was that comment by Colonel Klink, or Sergeant Shultz?

No surprise who lost the war ...

--Lee

--
    We! Reject! The president-nonelect!

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Jeff Thiele on Friday, June 03, 2022 18:24:07
    Hello Jeff,

I already said that the extreme is not the goal. It's a thought
    experime
    Not more crime, just different crimes. I am one that does not
    believe
    that the availability of a gun is what determines whether or not a
    criminal will commit a crime. It would cut down on accidents, and
    possibly a few crimes of passion, but the complete absence of
    firearms
    only causes a criminal to change their MO.

Less deadly crimes.

And far fewer of them.

Australia recently destroyed 650,000 guns. The number of murders
    and suicides plummeted to next to nothing. Cause -> Effect

--Lee

--
    Popular vote!

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Jeff Thiele on Friday, June 03, 2022 18:24:27
    Hello Jeff,

And how do you propose we track actual illegal migrants? If
    they're tr
    here illegally, they get deported when caught. Refugees go
    through the
    legal immigration process.
    If a person enters illegally (not at a marked border crossing), they
    can
    claim "asylum," which suddenly makes them "legal" and increases the
    chance that they might get to stay and not get deported.

If they claim asylum, they ar not simply let go. They are detained and screened, where they have to make a case that they are eligible for asylum.
    These are fairly in-depth screenings and just claiming to have experienced violence is not enough. If they make it through the screening, then they are
    "legal." Otherwise, they're deported.

Superman was not deported. As an infant, he was found in a cornfield
    by an elderly man. He and his wife then adopted him as their son,
    naming him Clark Kent. It has never been revealed if he was formally
    adopted, as no birth certificate could be found.

As you know, Superman has one rule. And one rule only. Superman
    never kills. Until recently, which makes many people believe the
    new Superman is a fake.

People who enter seeking asylum also tend to turn themselves in to the first
    Border Patrol agent they can find, whereas people who enter seeking illegal
    residency tend to avoid the Border Patrol at all cost. There are behavioral
    differences that can be observed, and they are two distinctly different groups of people.

Superman never sought asylum. Even as his nom de plume, Clark Kent.
    As far as he was concerned, the son of Jar-El was the adopted son of
    the Kents and had no other real home to return to.

For some reason, certain people seem to think that as soon as they say the word "asylum," they're handed a plane ticket to New York, and that's simply
    not how it works.

Clark Kent had a great job at the Daily Planet, a gal named Lois Lane
    who adored him, and some kid who always gave both of them a hard time.

Being dumb increases their chances of getting caught, but that's true of most criminals.

Lex Luthor could never out-smart Superman. But he sure knew where
    to find kryptonite ...

--Lee

--
    When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Lee Lofaso on Friday, June 03, 2022 12:06:46
    On 03 Jun 2022, Lee Lofaso said the following...
    Guns don't kill people. Crazy people do.
    Take away access of certain types of guns (and large capacity
    magazines), crazy people cannot get hold of them.

Alternatively, introduce a better option (say, widely available and
    inexpensive yet highly accurate, portable, efficient, silent, and powerful laser weaponry) and suddenly crazy people won't want guns anymore.

Even crazy people will choose the best tool at their disposal for the job. If guns aren't available, will they resort to knives? Yep, but knives are a lot less efficient and require the assumption of additional risk due to the proximity to the victim that is required.

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Lee Lofaso on Friday, June 03, 2022 12:13:46
    Superman was not deported. As an infant, he was found in a cornfield
    by an elderly man. He and his wife then adopted him as their son,
    naming him Clark Kent. It has never been revealed if he was formally adopted, as no birth certificate could be found.

Did he have a driver's licanse? Photo ID?

As you know, Superman has one rule. And one rule only. Superman
    never kills. Until recently, which makes many people believe the
    new Superman is a fake.

Hate to break it to you, man, but Superman's a fictional character.

Superman never sought asylum. Even as his nom de plume, Clark Kent.
    As far as he was concerned, the son of Jar-El was the adopted son of
    the Kents and had no other real home to return to.

The fact that he never sought asylum makes him irrelevant to this
    conversation, as he was not a refugee.

For some reason, certain people seem to think that as soon as they sa word "asylum," they're handed a plane ticket to New York, and that's simply
    not how it works.
    Clark Kent had a great job at the Daily Planet, a gal named Lois Lane
    who adored him, and some kid who always gave both of them a hard time.

He also never went through the asylum process.

Being dumb increases their chances of getting caught, but that's true most criminals.
    Lex Luthor could never out-smart Superman. But he sure knew where
    to find kryptonite ...

Ironic, that.

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Lee Lofaso on Friday, June 03, 2022 12:16:53
    If I were racist then congress would be taking a vote on me. If I wer homophobic then I wouldn't be chatting about politics with a bunch of dudes

Oh... so it's Aaron that's under his mom's trailer. His statement was
    somewhat ambiguous as to who exactly was under the trailer.

Jeff.

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Jeff Thiele on Friday, June 03, 2022 21:21:55
    Hello Jeff,

A while back, some states started turning such cases over to the
    feds an
    many
    felons had a fast track back to prison - and had great success in
    reduci
    gun
    crime. But then a Democrat got installed and his AG (i.e. Janet
    Reno)
    refused
    Yep. Ironic, they are supposedly the ones who can fix our gun crime
    problems but yet didn't want to prosecute gun-crime felons.

If this were true, wouldn't we expect to see increases in prosecution by the
    intervening Republican administrations? Also, didn't Janet Reno have a couple
    of pretty high-profile firearm-related cases involving a certain family in Idaho and a certain cult in Texas?

Janet Reno. Had to love her. Best lesbian AG this country ever had.

--Lee

--
    It's not for women.

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Friday, June 03, 2022 15:55:00
    I already said that the extreme is not the goal. It's a thought experim
    Not more crime, just different crimes. I am one that does not believe that the availability of a gun is what determines whether or not a criminal will commit a crime. It would cut down on accidents, and possibly a few crimes of passion, but the complete absence of firearms only causes a criminal to change their MO.

Less deadly crimes.

Not necessarily. The ones that kill more people are usually premeditated.
    If they don't have a gun, they will figure out another plan... explosion,
    fire, something.

* SLMR 2.1a * His mind is not for rent / To any god or government
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Friday, June 03, 2022 15:31:00
    If a person enters illegally (not at a marked border crossing), they can claim "asylum," which suddenly makes them "legal" and increases the chance that they might get to stay and not get deported.

If they claim asylum, they ar not simply let go. They are detained and screened, where they have to make a case that they are eligible for asylum.

I didn't say they were let go, I said they were suddenly treated as "legal."

These are fairly in-depth screenings and just claiming to have experienced violence is not enough. If they make it through the screening, then they are "legal." Otherwise, they're deported.

Crossing illegally makes it more likely they will get to stay. If they are
    not caught, they can stay until they are. If/when they are, they can claim "asylum" and take their chances that they might pass the screening.

People who enter seeking asylum also tend to turn themselves in to the first Border Patrol agent they can find, whereas people who enter seeking illegal residency tend to avoid the Border Patrol at all cost. There are behavioral differences that can be observed, and they are two distinctly different groups of people.

The best place to find a border patrol agent is at a recognized, legal
    border crossing. If they are crossing elsewhere, they are trying to avoid Border Patrol, but can still use that "asylum" card to try to make their illegal crossing legal and not be "immediately deported."

For some reason, certain people seem to think that as soon as they say the word "asylum," they're handed a plane ticket to New York, and that's simply not how it works.

True.

Also true.

* SLMR 2.1a * "I'd like to buy a schwa, Pat."
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to RON L. on Friday, June 03, 2022 15:31:00

"Rules for thee, not for me." I am surprised you passed up the opportunity
    to use that one. :D

* SLMR 2.1a * If you believe in telekinesis, please raise my hand.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Friday, June 03, 2022 15:59:00
    A while back, some states started turning such cases over to the feds a
    many
    felons had a fast track back to prison - and had great success in reduc
    gun
    crime. But then a Democrat got installed and his AG (i.e. Janet Reno)
    refused

If this were true, wouldn't we expect to see increases in prosecution by the intervening Republican administrations? Also, didn't Janet Reno have a couple of pretty high-profile firearm-related cases involving a certain family in Idaho and a certain cult in Texas?

Sounds like they had a decent success rate procecuting repeat gun-crime
    felons until the 1990's. And I would be careful calling Waco a "case"...
    many of those folks died under suspicious circumstances without trial, including several that may not have been armed and whose only crime was following a wack-job, or being too afraid of him to leave.

I don't remember a trial for several of the Idaho folks, either, although
    my memory is more fuzzy on that one.

* SLMR 2.1a * . Lifting Shadows Off a Dream .
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Friday, June 03, 2022 15:56:36
    On 03 Jun 2022, Mike Powell said the following...
    Less deadly crimes.
    Not necessarily. The ones that kill more people are usually
    premeditated. If they don't have a gun, they will figure out another plan... explosion, fire, something.

Some, perhaps, but far from all. Guns are extremely convenient.

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Friday, June 03, 2022 16:13:24
    If they claim asylum, they ar not simply let go. They are detained and screened, where they have to make a case that they are eligible for asyl
    I didn't say they were let go, I said they were suddenly treated as "legal."

Yes, they are, pending a screening.

These are fairly in-depth screenings and just claiming to have experienc violence is not enough. If they make it through the screening, then they "legal." Otherwise, they're deported.
    Crossing illegally makes it more likely they will get to stay. If they are not caught, they can stay until they are. If/when they are, they
    can claim "asylum" and take their chances that they might pass the screening.

Again, refugees seeking asylum tend to seek out the first Border Patrol agent they can find. They don't get caught; they turn themselves in. Evading
    capture and only claiming asylum once caught is very suspicious behavior and unlikely to result in remaining in the US legally. Border officials aren't stupid.

People who enter seeking asylum also tend to turn themselves in to the f Border Patrol agent they can find, whereas people who enter seeking ille residency tend to avoid the Border Patrol at all cost. There are behavio differences that can be observed, and they are two distinctly different groups of people.
    The best place to find a border patrol agent is at a recognized, legal border crossing. If they are crossing elsewhere, they are trying to
    avoid Border Patrol, but can still use that "asylum" card to try to make their illegal crossing legal and not be "immediately deported."

Nope, sorry. It's quite well-documented that they turn themselves in as soon
    as possible regardless of where they cross. They have to be on US soil in
    order to claim asylum, which is more difficult at official border crossings.

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Friday, June 03, 2022 16:15:43
    Sounds like they had a decent success rate procecuting repeat gun-crime felons until the 1990's. And I would be careful calling Waco a "case"... many of those folks died under suspicious circumstances without trial, including several that may not have been armed and whose only crime was following a wack-job, or being too afraid of him to leave.

Suicides don't typically get a trial.

I don't remember a trial for several of the Idaho folks, either, although my memory is more fuzzy on that one.

People who shoot at cops are less likely to get trials, too.

Jeff.

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Jeff Thiele on Saturday, June 04, 2022 00:36:29
    Hello Jeff,

If I were racist then congress would be taking a vote on me. If
    I wer
    homophobic then I wouldn't be chatting about politics with a
    bunch of
    dudes

Oh... so it's Aaron that's under his mom's trailer. His statement was somewhat ambiguous as to who exactly was under the trailer.

He did mention "dudes" ...

--Lee

--
    Impossible is nothing

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Lee Lofaso on Friday, June 03, 2022 18:01:29
    On 04 Jun 2022, Lee Lofaso said the following...
    I wer
    bunch of
    dudes
    [...]

Well, yes, but he could have meant that:
    1. He was chatting from under his mom's trailer with a bunch of dudes, or
    2. The dudes with whom he was chatting were from under his mom's trailer.

I'm personally inclined to believe that Aaron's mom is running a gay bar
    under her trailer. Who knows, maybe they're gay reptilians?

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Lee Lofaso on Friday, June 03, 2022 18:24:20
    On 04 Jun 2022, Lee Lofaso said the following...
    I wer
    bunch of
    dudes

On a more serious note, I seriously doubt that either Aaron or the dudes with whom he's chatting originate from under his mom's trailer, which renders Aaron's claim to not be homophobic false.

Aaron sucks at math. Aaron sucks at logic.

Aaron is a homophobic racist.

Jeff.

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Saturday, June 04, 2022 10:17:00
    Sounds like they had a decent success rate procecuting repeat gun-crime felons until the 1990's. And I would be careful calling Waco a "case"...
    many of those folks died under suspicious circumstances without trial, including several that may not have been armed and whose only crime was following a wack-job, or being too afraid of him to leave.

Neither do people burned up in a fire.

* SLMR 2.1a * A Crucifix? Oy vey, have YOU got the wrong vampire...
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Ron L.@1:120/616 to Mike Powell on Saturday, June 04, 2022 11:16:23

"Rules for thee, not for me." I am surprised you passed up the opportunity to use that one. :D

I usually use that one in instances where Lefties says that we shouldn't be able to do something, and then those same Lefties do that same something.

... Without my ignorance, your knowledge would be meaningless

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Saturday, June 04, 2022 10:13:29
    On 04 Jun 2022, Mike Powell said the following...
    Sounds like they had a decent success rate procecuting repeat gun-c felons until the 1990's. And I would be careful calling Waco a "case"...
    many of those folks died under suspicious circumstances without tri including several that may not have been armed and whose only crime following a wack-job, or being too afraid of him to leave.
    Neither do people burned up in a fire.

Especially when they have suicide=pact bullet holes in their charred corpses.

Jeff.

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Lee Lofaso on Saturday, June 04, 2022 15:02:10

Someone should tell Jeff's friends that "murder is illegal in the USA."

It's because we're busy dealing with fake refugees; people trying to escape
    low wages and/or punishment for stuff they did back home.

But your friends are at the Mexico/US border, they're humans that hav been
    smuggled.

Walking through international borders without a passport requires smuggling.

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Lee Lofaso on Saturday, June 04, 2022 15:05:22
    No, they're not.

There's no such thing as "usually" and why would people get deported just for being smuggled-in? It's not their fault, well actually it is, but that's not the preferred narrative.

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Jeff Thiele on Saturday, June 04, 2022 15:14:54
    I'm personally inclined to believe that Aaron's mom is running a gay bar under her trailer. Who knows, maybe they're gay reptilians?

You're not good at reptilianism; you're supposed to be the first to make the accusation, that way the secondary person (usually a conservative) will sound crazy when he/she accurately makes the same accusation about the other person.

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Jeff Thiele on Saturday, June 04, 2022 15:17:09

It's not as bad as sucking on the stuff that liberals suck at.

Well I guess I'm gonna lose the election then.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Aaron Thomas on Saturday, June 04, 2022 12:05:52
    On 04 Jun 2022, Aaron Thomas said the following...

Only when it's not.

It's because we're busy dealing with fake refugees; people trying to escape low wages and/or punishment for stuff they did back home.

And your proof of this is..?

No, it doesn't.

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Aaron Thomas on Saturday, June 04, 2022 12:07:16
    No, they're not.
    There's no such thing as "usually" and why would people get deported
    just for being smuggled-in? It's not their fault, well actually it is,
    but that's not the preferred narrative.

Actually, there's a lot of "usually." Refugees aren't "smuggled" in.

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Aaron Thomas on Saturday, June 04, 2022 12:09:32
    I'm personally inclined to believe that Aaron's mom is running a gay under her trailer. Who knows, maybe they're gay reptilians?
    You're not good at reptilianism; you're supposed to be the first to make the accusation, that way the secondary person (usually a conservative) will sound crazy when he/she accurately makes the same accusation about the other person.

Which makes you the expert at reptilianism, no?

And what exactly is going on under your mom's trailer?

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Aaron Thomas on Saturday, June 04, 2022 12:11:32
    It's not as bad as sucking on the stuff that liberals suck at.

Logic and math are pretty crucial to understanding the world around you. Otherwise you'll end up being gullible and believing every conspiracy theory you hear.

I didn't know you were running.

Jeff.

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Aaron Thomas on Sunday, June 05, 2022 05:15:59
    Hello Aaron,

State-sanctioned murder is legal by the federal government, as well
    as in most states in the USA. Murder in my name. Truly the most sick
    and disgusting form of justice there is or can ever be.

It's because we're busy dealing with fake refugees;

There are no fake refugees. Either one qualifies as a refugee
    and is granted status, or one does not qualify as a refugee and
    is refused status. But this country chooses to reject both, as
    part of some kind of sick numbers game.

people trying to escape low wages

We're not talking about folks who are seeking economic relief.

and/or punishment for stuff they did back home.

We're not talking about Fidel Castro releasing Cuban convicts and
    mental patients to take a boat trip to Miami.

But your friends are at the Mexico/US border, they're humans
    that hav
    been
    smuggled.

All it takes is two legs, passport not required.

--Lee

--
    Erections, That's Our Game

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Aaron Thomas on Sunday, June 05, 2022 05:16:07
    Hello Aaron,

No, they're not.

There's no such thing as "usually" and why would people get deported just for
    being smuggled-in? It's not their fault, well actually it is, but that's not
    the preferred narrative.

Sex slaves are smuggled in. One might call them "refugees" in a manner
    of speaking. But even upon arrival they are held in bondage, not really
    free in any sense of the word.

Refugees and those seeking asylum are not "deported just for being
    smuggled in" as none are smuggled in to begin with.

People who sneak in illegally are usually caught, and deported
    within a short period of time. There are some who manage to remain
    undetected for a long period of time, as there are still many here
    who have been here since forever. But those people are not refugees
    and have kind of made this place their permanent home.

Which is why the POTUS should grant them all a general amnesty.
    Just like Ronald Reagan did back in the day ...

--Lee

--
    Always in beta

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to RON L. on Sunday, June 05, 2022 10:00:00
    "Rules for thee, not for me." I am surprised you passed up the opportunity to use that one. :D

I usually use that one in instances where Lefties says that we shouldn't be able to do something, and then those same Lefties do that same something.

Sort of like Rosie O'Donnell and her "you should not have guns!" while she
    has armed guards? Or Joe's "you should not have certain types of guns"
    even though he has spent well over half his life being guarded (on our
    dollar) by people who have those type of guns?

---
    * SLMR 2.1a * Hey, how 'bout a fandango ?!?
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to AARON THOMAS on Sunday, June 05, 2022 10:03:00
    @MSGID: <629B8844.17544.politicf@capitolcityonline.net>
    I'm personally inclined to believe that Aaron's mom is running a gay bar under her trailer. Who knows, maybe they're gay reptilians?

I think the reptilian thing has run its course.

We should not kick Jeff-T too much while he is down. I am sure the Truth Ministry getting shot down before it ever got off the ground is weighing
    pretty heavy on him lately.

---
    * SLMR 2.1a * "Stamp Collection?? Ha-Ha!" - Nelson
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to AARON THOMAS on Sunday, June 05, 2022 10:07:00

Refresh my memory... didn't you tell us once that your wife is non-white?
    For a bad conservative racist, that sure would be unusual. :)

---
    * SLMR 2.1a * "Hired goons????" - Homer
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to AARON THOMAS on Sunday, June 05, 2022 10:10:00

Indeed. Even the Obama administration used drones to kill persons outside
    of a war zone on foreign soil, so it is not just a Republican thing.

---
    * SLMR 2.1a * "My therapist was right...God DOES hate me!!!"-J.Sherman
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Sunday, June 05, 2022 16:41:40
    On 05 Jun 2022, Mike Powell said the following...

Let Aaron look like the gullible fool he is.

We should not kick Jeff-T too much while he is down.

Me, down? What? Nah...

I am sure the Truth
    Ministry getting shot down before it ever got off the ground is weighing pretty heavy on him lately.

I never actually commented on that, you may have noticed. I don't think that the government is the best entity to what's true and not in all cases. In
    some cases, like the CDC speaking to disease-related issues, they clearly
    are. But not in all cases.

However, something needs to be done because way too many Americans are incapable of telling fact from fiction or a lie from the truth, and way too many people who like to call themselves Christian have forgotten that one of the Ten Commandments is "Thou shalt not bear false witness."

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Sunday, June 05, 2022 16:42:12
    Refresh my memory... didn't you tell us once that your wife is non-white? For a bad conservative racist, that sure would be unusual. :)

A hypocritical racist; did you expect any less?

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Sunday, June 05, 2022 16:43:08
    State-sanctioned murder exists in the USA. Admnistered not only a
    Someone should tell Jeff's friends that "murder is illegal in the USA.
    Indeed. Even the Obama administration used drones to kill persons
    outside of a war zone on foreign soil, so it is not just a Republican thing.

I don't agree with drone strikes outside of a war zone, but have to point out that "on foreign soil" is not "in the USA."

Jeff.

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Lee Lofaso on Monday, June 06, 2022 02:36:10

If that is what you really think, then you should tell Democrats to invest
    more in incarceration and law enforcement. Unless you like anarchy, because surely whoever's happy with Joe's shenanigans loves anarchy.

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Lee Lofaso on Monday, June 06, 2022 02:48:37

Generalizations are opinions that the media teaches you to hold.

Or better.

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Mike Powell on Monday, June 06, 2022 02:53:16
    I'm personally inclined to believe that Aaron's mom is running a ga under her trailer. Who knows, maybe they're gay reptilians?

You're not good at reptilianism; you're supposed to be the first to make accusation, that way the secondary person (usually a conservative) will crazy when he/she accurately makes the same accusation about the other person.

We should not kick Jeff-T too much while he is down. I am sure the Truth Ministry getting shot down before it ever got off the ground is weighing pretty heavy on him lately.

I'm trying to leave it behind, but he brought it back up.

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Mike Powell on Monday, June 06, 2022 03:01:24

Refresh my memory... didn't you tell us once that your wife is non-white? For a bad conservative racist, that sure would be unusual. :)

Yes, it's true, but I don't expect him to remember details like that. He wants me to be a white supremacist because that would be perfect for his talking points against me.

In Jeff's defense, I'm "statistically racist" because I'm a white male. He's all about statistics.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Aaron Thomas on Sunday, June 05, 2022 23:52:44
    On 06 Jun 2022, Aaron Thomas said the following...
    I'm trying to leave it behind, but he brought it back up.

Sure you are. Why leave a good conspiracy theory behind? Because you realize it's wrong?

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Aaron Thomas on Sunday, June 05, 2022 23:54:40
    On 06 Jun 2022, Aaron Thomas said the following...
    Refresh my memory... didn't you tell us once that your wife is non-wh For a bad conservative racist, that sure would be unusual. :)
    Yes, it's true, but I don't expect him to remember details like that. He wants me to be a white supremacist because that would be perfect for his talking points against me.

I do remember. Panamanian, if I recall correctly. However, I don't put it
    past you to have different standards for the foreigners you know personally versus those you don't.

In Jeff's defense, I'm "statistically racist" because I'm a white male. He's all about statistics.

You suck at statistics. You're racist because you make racist comments.

Jeff.

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Monday, June 06, 2022 16:58:00
    State-sanctioned murder exists in the USA. Admnistered not only
    Someone should tell Jeff's friends that "murder is illegal in the USA
    Indeed. Even the Obama administration used drones to kill persons outside of a war zone on foreign soil, so it is not just a Republican thing.

I don't agree with drone strikes outside of a war zone, but have to point out that "on foreign soil" is not "in the USA."

Agreed, and agreed. I could not tell if the original post was talking about state-sanctioned murders "in the USA" or just by the US government in
    general as I missed it.

* SLMR 2.1a * Four snack groups: frozen, crunchies, cakes and sweets.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Monday, June 06, 2022 17:01:00
    I am sure the Truth
    Ministry getting shot down before it ever got off the ground is weighing pretty heavy on him lately.

I never actually commented on that, you may have noticed. I don't think that the government is the best entity to what's true and not in all cases. In some cases, like the CDC speaking to disease-related issues, they clearly are. But not in all cases.

I heard that Carolina pervert, who was upset that he was being left out of
    all the GOP orgies, lost his primary. When I heard that I thought you were probably disappointed as he seemed like he would probably be a good source
    of material for a while.

* SLMR 2.1a * Blesss usss and splassh us, taglinesss for my preciousss
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to AARON THOMAS on Monday, June 06, 2022 17:02:00

I'd hazard a wild guess that just about all of us here would fall under
    that stat, if "white male" is the only qualifier.

* SLMR 2.1a * Once again, Odo wins the Twister championship.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Monday, June 06, 2022 17:55:45
    On 06 Jun 2022, Mike Powell said the following...
    I am sure the Truth
    Ministry getting shot down before it ever got off the ground is wei pretty heavy on him lately.
    I never actually commented on that, you may have noticed. I don't think the government is the best entity to what's true and not in all cases. I some cases, like the CDC speaking to disease-related issues, they clearl are. But not in all cases.
    I heard that Carolina pervert, who was upset that he was being left out
    of all the GOP orgies, lost his primary. When I heard that I thought
    you were probably disappointed as he seemed like he would probably be a good source of material for a while.

Yeah, but I'll take semi-sane over comic material any day.

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Monday, June 06, 2022 17:56:48
    On 06 Jun 2022, Mike Powell said the following...
    In Jeff's defense, I'm "statistically racist" because I'm a white male. all about statistics.
    I'd hazard a wild guess that just about all of us here would fall under that stat, if "white male" is the only qualifier.

Yep, and that's how you know Aaron is lying. Or "bearing false witness," as
    the Christians like to say.

Jeff.

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Aaron Thomas on Tuesday, June 07, 2022 06:11:40
    Hello Aaron,

If that is what you really think, then you should tell Democrats to invest more in incarceration and law enforcement. Unless you like anarchy, because
    surely whoever's happy with Joe's shenanigans loves anarchy.

Why not support a Constitutional amendment banning the death penalty?
    Not just at the federal level, but everywhere in the USA? Certainly
    all pro-life individuals would support that, regardless of political affiliation ...

--Lee

--
    Not my president!

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Aaron Thomas on Tuesday, June 07, 2022 06:11:47
    Hello Aaron,

Generalizations are opinions that the media teaches you to hold.

I did not say "always" caught, as there are quite a few million
    still here. We know they are there, as most of them who work do so
    for slave wages.

Or better.

All the POTUS has to do is to wave his magic wand ...

--Lee

--
    Impossible is nothing

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Lee Lofaso on Tuesday, June 07, 2022 14:36:42
    all pro-life individuals would support that, regardless of political affiliation ...

Because I want more death penalty for adults and less for babies.

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Tuesday, June 07, 2022 15:39:00
    In Jeff's defense, I'm "statistically racist" because I'm a white male.
    all about statistics.
    I'd hazard a wild guess that just about all of us here would fall under that stat, if "white male" is the only qualifier.

Yep, and that's how you know Aaron is lying.

Well, that goes back to the discussion that Dale and I were having the
    other day. It is not lying if you don't know it is not true.

So, if Aaron mistakenly inferred it from something you said, he is only mistaken but not lying.

If Aaron said "Jeff said (that)," and you did not, then he is lying.

If someone says "I didn't say that" even when what they "didn't say" has
    been quoted back word for word, they are also lying.

I cannot tell, from what Aaron said, if he was misquoting or if he just
    assumed you're all about statistics and that the stat he mentions is
    correct. If he continues to repeat it, after now being corrected, then he
    may want to re-read his Commandments.

Or "bearing false witness," as
    the Christians like to say.

Or, as the Flanders kids like to say, "Lies make Baby Jesus cry." ;)

* SLMR 2.1a * O_O O_O (_) --Mickey & Minnie meet Satan.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Aaron Thomas on Wednesday, June 08, 2022 00:43:54
    Hello Aaron,

all pro-life individuals would support that, regardless of political
    affiliation ...

Because I want more death penalty for adults and less for babies.

Can't have it both ways, bub. Jesus said so himself -

Pro-Death Advocates: "Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty
    or a stranger or naked or in prison, and not minister to your needs?"

Jesus: "Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least
    ones, you did not do for me."

And then these (Pro-Death Advocates) will go off to eternal punishment,
    but the righteous (Whole Life Advocates) to eternal life.

Mt: 25:41-46

Time to eat your own shorts. Enjoy.

--Lee

--
    Love trumps hate!

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Tuesday, June 07, 2022 17:58:46
    On 07 Jun 2022, Mike Powell said the following...
    In Jeff's defense, I'm "statistically racist" because I'm a white male.
    all about statistics.
    I'd hazard a wild guess that just about all of us here would fall u that stat, if "white male" is the only qualifier.
    Yep, and that's how you know Aaron is lying.
    Well, that goes back to the discussion that Dale and I were having the other day. It is not lying if you don't know it is not true.

As you noted, Aaron is assuming that the only qualifier is "white male." But not all racists are white males, and not all white males are racist. I'm sure Aaron knows this.

Further, Aaron assumes that everyone who meets the criteria of a statistic is whatever that statistic is measuring. I know Aaron has trouble with math and probabilities, but that's pretty freaking stupid, man.

Aaron is a racist because he's racist and says racist things.

Jeff.

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Lee Lofaso on Wednesday, June 08, 2022 01:12:34
    And then these (Pro-Death Advocates) will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous (Whole Life Advocates) to eternal life.

Who are they? What makes them pro-death advocates?

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Aaron Thomas on Thursday, June 09, 2022 02:23:09
    Hello Aaron,

And then these (Pro-Death Advocates) will go off to eternal punishment,

Read Matthew 25:31-46 in the Bible of your choice.

For Life,
    Lee

--
    Travel should take you places

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Lee Lofaso on Thursday, June 09, 2022 03:28:31
    And then these (Pro-Death Advocates) will go off to eternal punishme

I'll take your word for it that it goes against Christian policy to kill convicts, and I like to appease God when I can, but I can't obey that policy when it hurts crime victims.

Crime victims are heroes, because they endured BS that we narrowly dodged. Let's not turn our backs on them by rewarding their aggressors.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Aaron Thomas on Thursday, June 09, 2022 10:04:35
    On 09 Jun 2022, Aaron Thomas said the following...
    And then these (Pro-Death Advocates) will go off to eternal pun
    I'll take your word for it that it goes against Christian policy to kill convicts, and I like to appease God when I can, but I can't obey that policy when it hurts crime victims.

How does abolishing the death penalty hurt crime victims when the alternative is life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Crime victims are heroes, because they endured BS that we narrowly
    dodged. Let's not turn our backs on them by rewarding their aggressors.

How does life in prison without the possibility of parole reward their aggressors? There have been many instances of crime victims' families requesting that the criminal not receive the death penalty. ("Crime victims' families" because, since the death penalty is only given for certain classes
    of murder, the crime victims themselves are known to be deceased.)

Jeff.

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Aaron Thomas on Thursday, June 09, 2022 18:26:06
    Hello Aaron,

And then these (Pro-Death Advocates) will go off to eternal
    punishme

I'll take your word for it that it goes against Christian policy to kill convicts, and I like to appease God when I can, but I can't obey that policy
    when it hurts crime victims.

You cannot pick and choose whatever policy floats your boat.

"Follow me."
    ~ Jesus

That is the *only* policy Christians are to have.

Crime victims are heroes, because they endured BS that we narrowly dodged. Let's not turn our backs on them by rewarding their aggressors.

Jesus rewarded a guy who was crucified alongside of him at Calvary.
    He told us all to do the same. Are you ready? I thought not. Getting
    nailed is really painful ...

For Life,
    Lee

--
    Love! Not hate! Makes America great!

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Aaron Thomas on Thursday, June 09, 2022 18:26:22
    Hello Aaron,

punishme

I'll take your word for it that it goes against Christian policy to kill convicts, and I like to appease God when I can, but I can't obey that policy
    when it hurts crime victims.

Take away their guns. And take away their easy access to guns.
    That'll be a start. But you're no more serious than than any of
    those chickenshit cops in Uvalde TX who refused to confront the
    shooter as he mowed down 19 children and 2 adults with two AR-15
    assault rifles loaded with large capacity magazines.

What that means is more mass shootings. And more dead children
    and adults. We love our guns, as guns are even more important than
    life itself. In Guns We Trust has become our national motto.

For Life,
    Lee

--
    Education not deportation!

• From Tom Kisner to Aaron Thomas on Thursday, June 09, 2022 13:23:05
    Re: Re: She's Back
    By: Aaron Thomas to Lee Lofaso on Thu Jun 09 2022 03:28 am

punishme but the righteous (Whole Life Advocates) to eternal
    life.

Catholics officially don't believe in the death penalty. Pretty much every time one gets carried out, there will be Catholic protesters there ... in the same way they are at the abortion clinics.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Sysop of Desert Rats Sanctuary --- https://bbs.kn6q.org
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Thursday, June 09, 2022 18:41:00

How does abolishing the death penalty hurt crime victims when the alternative is life in prison without the possibility of parole.

The victim's family likely pays taxes, which pay for the feeding and upkeep
    of their loved-one's murderer who, although he is in jail the rest of his
    life at least has a rest of his life, unlike their loved-one.

OTOH, strapping them in a chair and throwing the switch does have a one-time tax money cost, but then it is over, and there is 0% chance of there ever
    being any kind of soft-minded law change or amnesty that results in the
    killer being turned loose, or of him ever escaping.

If a victim's family does not want them to be executed, that should be
    taken into consideration during sentencing.

* SLMR 2.1a * "Never repeat codes," said the telegrapher remorselessly.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Thursday, June 09, 2022 18:11:43
    On 09 Jun 2022, Mike Powell said the following...
    I'll take your word for it that it goes against Christian policy to convicts, and I like to appease God when I can, but I can't obey th policy when it hurts crime victims.
    How does abolishing the death penalty hurt crime victims when the altern is life in prison without the possibility of parole.
    The victim's family likely pays taxes, which pay for the feeding and upkeep of their loved-one's murderer who, although he is in jail the
    rest of his life at least has a rest of his life, unlike their loved-one.

That's quite a stretch.

OTOH, strapping them in a chair and throwing the switch does have a one-time tax money cost, but then it is over, and there is 0% chance of there ever being any kind of soft-minded law change or amnesty that results in the killer being turned loose, or of him ever escaping.

Again, a stretch. Murderers often spend decades on Death Row. And, as far as
    I know (except for the commutations to life sentences that occurred when the death penalty moratorium began), no one has escaped or been granted amnesty from Death Row.

If a victim's family does not want them to be executed, that should be taken into consideration during sentencing.

Indeed it should.

Jeff.

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Tom Kisner on Friday, June 10, 2022 02:01:25
    Hello Tom,

punishme but the righteous (Whole Life Advocates) to eternal
    life.

I'll take your word for it that it goes against Christian policy to kill
    convicts, and I like to appease God when I can, but I can't obey that
    policy when it hurts crime victims.

Catholics officially don't believe in the death penalty. Pretty much every
    time one gets carried out, there will be Catholic protesters there .. in the same way they are at the abortion clinics.

Nobody should believe in the death penalty - regardless of religious affiliation (or none).

Jesus gave his followers one commandment to follow, and only one -
    "Love one another as I have loved you."

That's it in a nutshell.
    You can even spell it out in one four-letter word.
    L-O-V-E.

And to think, Jesus wasn't even Catholic.

For Life,
    Lee

--
    Pussy grabs back!

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Jeff Thiele on Friday, June 10, 2022 05:23:13
    Hello Jeff,

I'll take your word for it that it goes against Christian
    policy to
    convicts, and I like to appease God when I can, but I can't
    obey th
    policy when it hurts crime victims.
    How does abolishing the death penalty hurt crime victims when the
    altern
    is life in prison without the possibility of parole.
    The victim's family likely pays taxes, which pay for the feeding and
    upkeep of their loved-one's murderer who, although he is in jail the
    rest of his life at least has a rest of his life, unlike their
    loved-one.

That's quite a stretch.

It is more expensive (in taxpayer dollars) to convict and sentence
    an individual to death rather than sentencing an individual to life
    in prison with no possibility of parole.

OTOH, strapping them in a chair and throwing the switch does have a
    one-time tax money cost, but then it is over, and there is 0% chance
    of
    there ever being any kind of soft-minded law change or amnesty that
    results in the killer being turned loose, or of him ever escaping.

Again, a stretch. Murderers often spend decades on Death Row. And, as far as
    I know (except for the commutations to life sentences that occurred when the
    death penalty moratorium began), no one has escaped or been granted amnesty
    from Death Row.

Most inmates sentenced to death die of old age. So why bother?

The Innocence Project has enabled many wrongfully accused and
    convicted inmates on life row to be released. Unfortunately, not
    all wrongfully accused and convicted inmates are so lucky, and
    have paid for it with their lives.

If a victim's family does not want them to be executed, that should be
    taken into consideration during sentencing.

Indeed it should.

Didn't help Jesus.

--Lee

--
    If it's not an iPhone, it's not an iPhone

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Jeff Thiele on Thursday, June 09, 2022 20:35:43

"Life in prison without the possibility of parole" isn't a universal replacement for death sentences. Some states don't even permit life without parole as a sentence.

Crime victims are heroes, because they endured BS that we narrowly dodged. Let's not turn our backs on them by rewarding their aggressor

How does life in prison without the possibility of parole reward their

Taking away the death penalty rewards them. It send a message to psychos that "you can kill people and nothing violent will happen to you in return."

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Lee Lofaso on Thursday, June 09, 2022 21:26:28
    Crime victims are heroes, because they endured BS that we narrowly do Let's not turn our backs on them by rewarding their aggressors.

We just need a commitment to school safety. Metal detectors, security, plans
    in place for what to do and how to handle it, security cams to make sure stuff gets handled correctly.

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Tom Kisner on Friday, June 10, 2022 00:10:08
    I'll take your word for it that it goes against Christian policy to k convicts, and I like to appease God when I can, but I can't obey that policy when it hurts crime victims.

Catholics officially don't believe in the death penalty. Pretty much every time one gets carried out, there will be Catholic protesters there

Which Catholics are you talking about? There are many sub species.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Aaron Thomas on Friday, June 10, 2022 10:38:11
    On 09 Jun 2022, Aaron Thomas said the following...
    "Life in prison without the possibility of parole" isn't a universal replacement for death sentences. Some states don't even permit life without parole as a sentence.

Many states adopted it as a valid sentence when they abolished the death penalty. Laws can be changed to reflect changing circumstances.

Crime victims are heroes, because they endured BS that we narrow dodged. Let's not turn our backs on them by rewarding their aggr
    How does life in prison without the possibility of parole reward thei
    Taking away the death penalty rewards them. It send a message to psychos that "you can kill people and nothing violent will happen to you in return."

"Nothing will happen to you?" Life in prison is "nothing?"

Jeff.

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Friday, June 10, 2022 16:04:00
    How does abolishing the death penalty hurt crime victims when the alter
    The victim's family likely pays taxes, which pay for the feeding and upkeep of their loved-one's murderer who, although he is in jail the rest of his life at least has a rest of his life, unlike their loved-one.

That's quite a stretch.

So you don't think they pay taxes, or you don't think that it is tax money
    that pays for the murderer's upkeep for the rest of his life? Where do
    *you* think the money comes from?

---
    * SLMR 2.1a * "Kills millions of germs on contract"
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Friday, June 10, 2022 16:27:22
    On 10 Jun 2022, Mike Powell said the following...
    How does abolishing the death penalty hurt crime victims when the alter
    The victim's family likely pays taxes, which pay for the feeding an upkeep of their loved-one's murderer who, although he is in jail th rest of his life at least has a rest of his life, unlike their loved-one.
    That's quite a stretch.
    So you don't think they pay taxes, or you don't think that it is tax
    money that pays for the murderer's upkeep for the rest of his life?
    Where do *you* think the money comes from?

We all pay taxes. No one's tax money goes for any particular purpose.

Jeff.

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Aaron Thomas on Friday, June 10, 2022 23:44:41
    Hello Aaron,

How does abolishing the death penalty hurt crime victims when the
    alternative is life in prison without the possibility of parole.

"Life in prison without the possibility of parole" isn't a universal replacement for death sentences. Some states don't even permit life without
    parole as a sentence.

We have maximum security prisons in this country. Those who are
    locked up there never get out. Except in a pine box.

What that means is once they are locked up, they are no longer a
    threat to society. Therefore, nothing more needs to be done.

Crime victims are heroes, because they endured BS that we
    narrowly
    dodged. Let's not turn our backs on them by rewarding their
    aggressor

How does life in prison without the possibility of parole reward
    their

Taking away the death penalty rewards them.

I am sure Timothy McVeigh was relieved knowing he was to be
    executed for his crime of murdering 168 men, women and children.

Spending the rest of his days in solitary would have been hell
    had he been forced to live to be an old man ...

It send a message to psychos that "you can kill people and nothing violent will happen to you in return."

Charles Manson never killed anybody. Nothing violent ever happened
    to him in return to what his followers did to others. Even his legion
    of followers were allowed to live. But always denied parole.

Now that was hell to pay.

For Life,
    Lee

--
    We Make Your Wet Dreams Come True

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Aaron Thomas on Friday, June 10, 2022 23:44:47
    Hello Aaron,

Crime victims are heroes, because they endured BS that we
    narrowly do
    Let's not turn our backs on them by rewarding their aggressors.

We just need a commitment to school safety. Metal detectors, security, plans
    in place for what to do and how to handle it, security cams to make sure stuff gets handled correctly.

You have no solution. Because you do not want a solution. What you
    want is continued death and destruction. At the hands of madmen.

The local cops in Uvalde did absolutely nothing to confront the
    shooter that killed 19 children and 2 adults.

The shooter had walked right into the school, did his thing, and
    for over an hour the local cops did absolutely nothing.

Talk about "school safety". Those kids were sitting ducks. So were
    the teachers. And with easy access to guns, including AR-15 assault
    weapons and large capacity magazines, these type of events will
    continue. Not only in Texas, but everywhere.

For Life,
    Lee

--
    Nothing sucks like an Electrolux

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Jeff Thiele on Friday, June 10, 2022 18:40:46
    Taking away the death penalty rewards them. It send a message to psyc that "you can kill people and nothing violent will happen to you in return."

"Nothing violent." After murdering dozens of people, a suspect who turns himself in will have no fear of being electrocuted or shot at.

I've been mad at people before, but not mad enough to do something to them
    that will get me electrocuted.

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Saturday, June 11, 2022 10:58:00
    The victim's family likely pays taxes, which pay for the feeding a
    upkeep of their loved-one's murderer who, although he is in jail t
    rest of his life at least has a rest of his life, unlike their loved-one.
    That's quite a stretch.
    So you don't think they pay taxes, or you don't think that it is tax money that pays for the murderer's upkeep for the rest of his life? Where do *you* think the money comes from?

So we all pay for it, which means they are paying for some of it, and
    others who don't want to be are also. No stretch there at all.

* SLMR 2.1a * "Bother," said Pooh, as he bounced off the Starfury.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Lee Lofaso on Saturday, June 11, 2022 13:55:22

Who paid them to not intervene? Trump maybe?

Excellent talking point for the Defund The Police movement.

the teachers. And with easy access to guns, including AR-15 assault weapons and large capacity magazines, these type of events will

Who's fault is it then? The police or the young age requirement?

Definitely not the fault of the teacher who left the door open for the gunman?

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Aaron Thomas on Saturday, June 11, 2022 18:06:59
    On 10 Jun 2022, Aaron Thomas said the following...
    Taking away the death penalty rewards them. It send a message to that "you can kill people and nothing violent will happen to you return."
    "Nothing violent." After murdering dozens of people, a suspect who turns himself in will have no fear of being electrocuted or shot at.

Life in prison is no picnic.

I've been mad at people before, but not mad enough to do something to
    them that will get me electrocuted.

That's the only thing that keeps your temper in check? If you were reasonably certain that you wouldn't get the death penalty, would you kill people that you're mad at?

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Saturday, June 11, 2022 18:20:24
    On 11 Jun 2022, Mike Powell said the following...
    So you don't think they pay taxes, or you don't think that it is ta money that pays for the murderer's upkeep for the rest of his life? Where do *you* think the money comes from?
    So we all pay for it, which means they are paying for some of it, and others who don't want to be are also. No stretch there at all.

The Death Penalty isn't cheap, either.

However, to answer your question, yes. We as a society and as a country value justice and the removal of criminals from society. That does not come cheap
    and we have to pay for it.

Jeff.

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Aaron Thomas on Sunday, June 12, 2022 03:19:44
    Hello Aaron,

Taking away the death penalty rewards them. It send a message to
    psyc
    that "you can kill people and nothing violent will happen to you
    in
    return."

I've been mad at people before, but not mad enough to do something to them that will get me electrocuted.

There is no humane way to kill/murder someone.
    Not even your own self. So why try?

For Life,
    Lee

--
    Popular vote!

• From Dale Shipp@1:261/1466 to Aaron Thomas on Sunday, June 12, 2022 00:39:06
    On 06-10-22 18:40, Aaron Thomas <=-
    spoke to Jeff Thiele about Re: She's Back <=-

Taking away the death penalty rewards them. It
    send a message to psyc
    that "you can kill people and nothing violent will happen to you in return."

"Nothing violent." After murdering dozens of people, a suspect who
    turns himself in will have no fear of being electrocuted or shot at.

If you think that a life in prison for most is not violent, you have not
    been paying attention.

Dale Shipp

... Shipwrecked in Silver Spring, Maryland. 00:41:02, 12 Jun 2022
    ___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.30

--- Maximus/NT 3.01
  • From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Aaron Thomas on Sunday, June 12, 2022 15:31:26
    Hello Aaron,

Who paid them to not intervene? Trump maybe?

The local police chief told them not to intervene.
    The local police chief has refused all interviews since.

Excellent talking point for the Defund The Police movement.

This is about what the shooter did, and what the local cops chose
    not to do.

the teachers. And with easy access to guns, including AR-15 assault
    weapons and large capacity magazines, these type of events will

Who's fault is it then? The police or the young age requirement?

The teacher did as he was taught. The children did as they were
    taught. The local cops did what they were taught. Who was at fault?
    The local cops, for being too fucking chickenshit to save the lives
    of those who were being shot by a murderer armed with two AR-15s,
    and large capacity magazines with enough ammo to do in an entire
    city.

Definitely not the fault of the teacher who left the door open for the gunman?

The teacher was alone, and was a she. She closed the door, thinking
    it would self-lock behind her. The gunman walked right in and shot her
    dead.

The other teacher was inside a classroom, with his 11 students.
    The teacher did as was supposed to, hiding under his desk, and told
    his students to do the same, which they did. The gunman walked in,
    and shot them all, with only the teacher surviving.

This was clearly not the fault of any of the adults, and to even
    suggest any of the children is beyond the pale.

This was the fault of this country, which refuses to pass any form
    of meaningful gun control legislation that would help stop this
    madness.

Time for you and all others who care about saving lives to put on
    your Big Boy pants and do something about it.

For Life,
    Lee

--
    Melts in your mouth, not in your hands

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Jeff Thiele on Sunday, June 12, 2022 03:35:11
    I've been mad at people before, but not mad enough to do something to them that will get me electrocuted.

That's the only thing that keeps your temper in check? If you were reasonably certain that you wouldn't get the death penalty, would you
    kill people that you're mad at?

I wouldn't, but other people would.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Aaron Thomas on Sunday, June 12, 2022 10:51:31
    On 12 Jun 2022, Aaron Thomas said the following...
    I've been mad at people before, but not mad enough to do somethi them that will get me electrocuted.
    That's the only thing that keeps your temper in check? If you were reasonably certain that you wouldn't get the death penalty, would you kill people that you're mad at?
    I wouldn't, but other people would.

Or, more accurately, you imagine that other people would.

Jeff.

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Dale Shipp on Sunday, June 12, 2022 15:49:36

If you think that a life in prison for most is not violent, you have not been paying attention.

I don't think life in prison would be the greatest, but I'm sure it's more fun than electrocution or being penetrated by bullets. Maybe the psychos who are considering a mass-shooting will see/hear about other mass-shooters getting electrocuted, and they will reconsider their options before heading out for the school.

But without death as a possible penalty, they have all this to look forward to:

* No retaliation from victims' family members (can't touch me I'm in jail!)
    * Progressive DAs, installed by Georgie, will try not to prosecute
    * More time for exercising
    * Free bologna sandwiches
    * Get your face on the news and become known by the whole world
    * Activist groups will fight for your rights behind bars
    * Make friends with other criminals
    * Slutty women will want to marry you

Prison doesn't have to be a "death sentence."

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Lee Lofaso on Sunday, June 12, 2022 15:56:42
    Definitely not the fault of the teacher who left the door open for
    th LL> AT> gunman?

it would self-lock behind her. The gunman walked right in and shot her dead.

"Thinking it would self-lock" is stupid. When you're responsible for the
    safety of children, you have to do more than "think the door was locked."

I have kids. I don't go to sleep saying "I think I locked the door."

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Aaron Thomas on Monday, June 13, 2022 00:46:23
    If I were racist then congress would be taking a vote on me. If I were homophobic then I wouldn't be chatting about politics with a bunch of dudes from under my mom's trailer.

You still haven't adequately explained exactly what's going on under your
    mom's trailer...

Jeff.

• From Dale Shipp@1:261/1466 to Aaron Thomas on Monday, June 13, 2022 01:11:10
    On 06-12-22 15:49, Aaron Thomas <=-
    spoke to Dale Shipp about Re: She's Back <=-

If you think that a life in prison for most is not violent, you have not been paying attention.

I don't think life in prison would be the greatest, but I'm sure it's
    more fun than electrocution or being penetrated by bullets. Maybe the psychos who are considering a mass-shooting will see/hear about other mass-shooters getting electrocuted, and they will reconsider their
    options before heading out for the
    school.

Many of the mass-shooters actually do not expect to survive the day.
    They want suicide by cop and martyrdom.

Dale Shipp

... Shipwrecked in Silver Spring, Maryland. 01:14:49, 13 Jun 2022
    ___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.30

--- Maximus/NT 3.01
  • From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Aaron Thomas on Monday, June 13, 2022 13:09:39
    Hello Aaron,

Definitely not the fault of the teacher who left the door open
    for
    th LL> AT> gunman?

it would self-lock behind her. The gunman walked right in and shot
    her
    dead.

"Thinking it would self-lock" is stupid. When you're responsible for the safety of children, you have to do more than "think the door was locked."

She did her best she could to protect herself. Where was school
    security? Non-existent. Where were the local cops? Non-existent.
    What did local cops do once they finally arrived? Not a damned
    thing. For over an hour, those local cops chose to sit on their
    behinds, allowing the shooter to murder 19 children and 2 adults.
    It took Border Control to come in and do the job for them, which
    they did by putting the shooter down.

I have kids. I don't go to sleep saying "I think I locked the door."

Assuming and thinking amount to the same thing. She was most likely
    in a state of panic at the time. And who can blame her? A madman armed
    with a loaded assault rifle was chasing after her ...

For Life,
    Lee

--
    It Ain't Payday If It Ain't Nuts In Your Mouth

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Lee Lofaso on Monday, June 13, 2022 16:57:27
    "Thinking it would self-lock" is stupid. When you're responsible for safety of children, you have to do more than "think the door was lock

Someone else said that the story about the teacher leaving the door propped open was not true. None of us know because we weren't there.

in a state of panic at the time. And who can blame her? A madman armed with a loaded assault rifle was chasing after her ...

I get it; teachers' unions help support the Democrat party, so the least we
    can do is defend everything they do/did.

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to DALE SHIPP on Monday, June 13, 2022 16:38:00
    Many of the mass-shooters actually do not expect to survive the day.
    They want suicide by cop and martyrdom.

Which probably means they don't believe they have anything to look forward
    to in life.

* SLMR 2.1a * You radiate cold shafts of broken glass!
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Matt Munson@1:218/109 to Mike Powell on Monday, June 13, 2022 17:24:06
    BY: Mike Powell(1:2320/105)

Which probably means they don't believe they have anything to look
    forward to in life.
    I was think 10 years in solitary confinement and possible firing quad.

--- WWIV 5.5.1.3261
  • From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Aaron Thomas on Tuesday, June 14, 2022 04:20:27
    Hello Aaron,

"Thinking it would self-lock" is stupid. When you're responsible
    for
    safety of children, you have to do more than "think the door was
    lock

Someone else said that the story about the teacher leaving the door propped
    open was not true. None of us know because we weren't there.

She thought the door was self-locking. That is not the same thing
    as "deliberately leaving the door propped open". But you know that.

in a state of panic at the time. And who can blame her? A madman armed
    with a loaded assault rifle was chasing after her ...

I get it; teachers' unions help support the Democrat party, so the least we
    can do is defend everything they do/did.

This has nothing to do with whether or not she was a member of a
    teachers' union. Or what her party affiliation was or may have been.
    The gunman certainly didn't care. Not any more than he did about
    any of the children. All he cared about was killing. And killing.
    And killing ...

For Life,
    Lee

--
    Laying Pipe Since '88

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Lee Lofaso on Tuesday, June 14, 2022 06:24:02

How do you know what she thought? I didn't hear that part of the report, and your cousin Jeff said that the whole "teacher left the door open" thing was bogus news.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Aaron Thomas on Tuesday, June 14, 2022 07:29:21
    On 14 Jun 2022, Aaron Thomas said the following...
    How do you know what she thought? I didn't hear that part of the report, and your cousin Jeff said that the whole "teacher left the door open" thing was bogus news.

The teacher didn't leave the door open. An open door and an unlocked door are not the same thing (although an open door can always be considered unlocked).

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/01/1102355422/uvalde-shooting-teacher-door

Jeff.

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to MATT MUNSON on Tuesday, June 14, 2022 18:20:00
    Which probably means they don't believe they have anything to look forward to in life.
    I was think 10 years in solitary confinement and possible firing quad.

Yes, but I meant before they decide to do such a thing... they must feel
    like they don't have much of a life to look forward to.

* SLMR 2.1a * In his hand a moving picture of the crumbling land
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux