• Early 2022 vs. 2022 now

From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to All on Saturday, May 28, 2022 10:27:43
    Earlier this year (and 2021, too)...

BIDEN: "High gas prices are the fault of (Putin/Trump/evil corporations/someone else)!"

The peanut galley: "Yea! Yeah! Screw the conservatives!"

More recently, he's now saying the quiet parts out loud and blaming...

BIDEN (quote taken from Newsweek): "And when it comes to the gas prices, we're going through an incredible transition that is taking place that, God willing, when it's over, we'll be stronger and the world will be stronger and less reliant on fossil fuels when this is over."

The peanut galley: chirp, chirp... "look at (some misdirection)!"... "Screw the conservatives!"

The more things change...

He may see an incredible transition that happens a lot sooner than the one he speaks of.

#
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Saturday, May 28, 2022 12:15:43
    Earlier this year (and 2021, too)...
    BIDEN: "High gas prices are the fault of (Putin/Trump/evil corporations/someone else)!"
    [...]
    More recently, he's now saying the quiet parts out loud and blaming... BIDEN (quote taken from Newsweek): "And when it comes to the gas prices, we're going through an incredible transition that is taking place that, God willing, when it's over, we'll be stronger and the world will be stronger and less reliant on fossil fuels when this is over."

The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Jeff.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Cold War Computing BBS (1:387/26)
  • From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Mike Powell on Saturday, May 28, 2022 15:15:50
    BIDEN (quote taken from Newsweek): "And when it comes to the gas prices, we're going through an incredible transition that is taking place that, God willing, when it's over, we'll be stronger and the world will be stronger and less reliant on fossil fuels when this is over."

I'm not trying to drag conspiracy into everything, but wow, that sounds mysterious. What kind of "incredible transition" do you think he's referring to? Biden leaves much to the imagination sometimes.

We're transitioning from a non-covid world to a covid world, from $2 gas to $6 gas, from punishing criminals to punishing victims, from creating Israel to destroying it, from hating Russia to funding the bulk of their assault on Ukraine, from equality for every American to favoritism for non-whites..

We're transitioning from a great country to a racist dumpster fire.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: CompuBBS | Ashburn VA | cfbbs.scinet-ftn.org (1:275/99)
  • From Mike Miller@1:154/30.1 to Aaron Thomas on Saturday, May 28, 2022 18:33:36
    Hello, Aaron Thomas.
    On 5/28/22 3:15 PM you wrote:

BIDEN (quote taken from Newsweek): "And when it comes to the gas
    prices, we're going through an incredible transition that is
    taking place that, God willing, when it's over, we'll be stronger
    and the world will be stronger and less reliant on fossil fuels
    when this is over."
    I'm not trying to drag conspiracy into everything, but wow, that
    sounds mysterious. What kind of "incredible transition" do you
    think he's referring to? Biden leaves much to the imagination
    sometimes.
    Transitioning off of Russian supplied oil onto just about anything else.

--
    Mike
    BBS: warensemble.com
    --- Hotdoged/2.13.5/Android
    * Origin: South of Heaven - warensemble.com (1:154/30.1)
  • From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Mike Miller on Sunday, May 29, 2022 02:31:06
    I'm not trying to drag conspiracy into everything, but wow, that sounds mysterious. What kind of "incredible transition" do you
    think he's referring to? Biden leaves much to the imagination sometimes.
    Transitioning off of Russian supplied oil onto just about anything else.

Thanks for that clarification.

To me, it seems like recent efforts to depopulate the world (covid, pox,
    ethnic cleansing in Ukraine) will help reduce our dependence on oil.

Less people, more oil, lower prices.

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to AARON THOMAS on Monday, May 30, 2022 14:38:00

I'm not trying to drag conspiracy into everything, but wow, that sounds mysterious. What kind of "incredible transition" do you think he's referring to? Biden leaves much to the imagination sometimes.

He does not really leave much to the imagination here. Before and after
    the election, people (me included) claimed that the Democrats, the left in general, and Biden's administration would try to move us away from internal combustion engines and fossil fuels sooner than an alternative technology
    would be available.

We were told that was false, that it was ok to do so, or that we were crazy/MAGA/etc. to believe such nonsense.

Now, Biden has confirmed as much in the qoute above.

We're transitioning from a non-covid world to a covid world,

Yes.

from $2 gas to $6 gas,

Yes, and some dumbass will undoubtly try to blame that entirely on
    corporate greed or something else, but that is only part of the puzzle.

from punishing criminals to punishing victims,

We've been on that road for a while now.

from creating Israel to destroying it,

I don't see this one as much.

from hating Russia to funding the bulk of their assault on
    Ukraine,

Please expand on this one.

from equality for every American to favoritism for non-whites..

I think our government is finally admitting that they are out for screwing people in general.

We're transitioning from a great country to a racist dumpster fire.

Yes.

* SLMR 2.1a * Have a (cute) electrician check your shorts.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Mike Powell on Tuesday, May 31, 2022 02:40:39
    internal combustion engines and fossil fuels sooner than an alternative technology would be available.

You're right. I wasn't thinking clearly. Biden's actions drove up the oil & gas prices way before the Ukraine invasion, and it seems like it was his way of telling us "stop using oil or i'll make you stop." $3.89 per gallon back in January was incredibly high (for myr region) but the Democrats are not sure if they want to go with "Blame ito on Trump," or "Blame it on Putin," or "You can't blame the president for prices," but they're mixing at matching with those narratives, and their followers are too ignorant to notice.

crazy/MAGA/etc. to believe such nonsense.

Yea, somehow it's only the MAGA crowd who are the cry-babies about the energy inflation. "White supremacists" are always driving around in pickup trucks
    with American flags, complaining about gas prices, just ask Joy Reid! ;)

The squad has introduced a bill to "call the founding of Israel a catastrophe." I don't know what good it does to create a bill to "call something something" but the squad gals think it's great. It's about as dumb as when congress voted on "whether or not Trump is racist."

Ukraine,

There's no doubt that the Democrats want people to think that they hate
    Russia, but Biden ignored gigantic warning signs about the invasion and did nothing; it wasn't until after civilians were killed that he finally decided
    to pinch Russia economically. Therefore, Democrat "hatred for Russia" is
    really "love in disguise."

I think our government is finally admitting that they are out for
    screwing people in general.

What do you mean? I've seen the media hint at self-awareness of their BS before. It is an awkward situation that occurs sometimes.

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to AARON THOMAS on Tuesday, May 31, 2022 16:30:00
    You're right. I wasn't thinking clearly. Biden's actions drove up the oil & ga
    prices way before the Ukraine invasion, and it seems like it was his way of telling us "stop using oil or i'll make you stop." $3.89 per gallon back in January was incredibly high (for myr region) but the Democrats are not sure if
    they want to go with "Blame ito on Trump," or "Blame it on Putin," or "You can't blame the president for prices," but they're mixing at matching with those narratives, and their followers are too ignorant to notice.

It had not been anywhere near 3.89 here since Obama was President (go
    figure), and has never been as high as it is now.

The administration is not the only factor (in this case), but their
    actions, policies, and words played a role. They can currently say, with a straight face, that the cost of oil is not set here.

Before they were blaming Putin, some were saying "we don't get oil from
    Russia" until that was proven false.

crazy/MAGA/etc. to believe such nonsense.

Yea, somehow it's only the MAGA crowd who are the cry-babies about the energy inflation. "White supremacists" are always driving around in pickup trucks with American flags, complaining about gas prices, just ask Joy Reid! ;)

I have seen TV interviews with "the average Joe/lene" where many who are complaining are not white or male. That said, if you are both then, yes, complaining about gas prices probably makes you a MAGA, white supremacist,
    or cry-baby even if you voted for Biden.

The squad has introduced a bill to "call the founding of Israel a catastrophe.
    I don't know what good it does to create a bill to "call something something" but the squad gals think it's great. It's about as dumb as when congress voted
    on "whether or not Trump is racist."

If that is the case, I agree. However, I have also been one that has said
    that bowing to the Zionists, taking over an area that had other people
    living in it and then just giving it to them (and allowing them to mistreat those people unchecked) was and is a mistake.

Ukraine,

There's no doubt that the Democrats want people to think that they hate Russia, but Biden ignored gigantic warning signs about the invasion and did nothing; it wasn't until after civilians were killed that he finally decided to pinch Russia economically. Therefore, Democrat "hatred for Russia" is really "love in disguise."

Not sure I would go that far. Biden is not great on picking up on warning signs in general so it could be something more simple than that.

Remeber, this is not the first time his administration didn't listen to warnings (from others within their administration) about the consequences
    of staying with a plan that could cause a crisis.

I think our government is finally admitting that they are out for screwing people in general.

What do you mean? I've seen the media hint at self-awareness of their BS before. It is an awkward situation that occurs sometimes.

It is pretty obvious that a lot of what they say and do is mostly
    lip-service and they don't care too much if, for example, you can no longer afford gas or food... "it isn't our fault" is another way of saying "we
    don't plan to do anything about it."

* SLMR 2.1a * I can keep a secret, it's the people I tell who can't.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Tuesday, May 31, 2022 16:46:30
    On 31 May 2022, Mike Powell said the following...
    The administration is not the only factor (in this case), but their actions, policies, and words played a role. They can currently say,
    with a straight face, that the cost of oil is not set here.

I read in the news that the EU agreed to a partial ban on Russian oil today, saying that they would cut around 90% of oil imports to member nations.

The price of oil went up, and with it the price of gasoline.

Biden didn't do anything out of the ordinary.

Oil is a global commodity whose price is governed by supply and demand.
    That's why organizations like OPEC can manipulate the price by manipulating
    the supply.

Jeff.

• From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Mike Powell on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 02:29:20
    If that is the case, I agree. However, I have also been one that has
    said that bowing to the Zionists, taking over an area that had other people living in it and then just giving it to them (and allowing them
    to mistreat those people unchecked) was and is a mistake.

Yea it looks like it's been a failure, but that was Truman's mistake. Why do Democrats always double-down on their failures, except for this one?

• From Dale Shipp@1:261/1466 to Aaron Thomas on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 02:28:00
    On 05-31-22 02:40, Aaron Thomas <=-
    spoke to Mike Powell about Re: Early 2022 vs. 2022 n <=-

There's no doubt that the Democrats want people to think that they
    hate Russia, but Biden ignored gigantic warning signs about the
    invasion and did nothing; it wasn't until after civilians were killed
    that he finally decided to pinch Russia economically. Therefore,
    Democrat "hatred for Russia" is really "love in disguise."

Biden could not apply sanctions against Russia for something that they
    might do at some time in the future. But, as soon as Russia invaded,
    then the sanctions rolled out.

It is sort of like, if someone writes that they are going to rob a bank,
    the law cannot do anything (other than monitor them) until they actually attempt doing so.

Dale Shipp
    fido_261_1466 (at) verizon (dot) net
    (1:261/1466)

... Shipwrecked in Silver Spring, Maryland. 02:02:43, 01 Jun 2022
    ___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.30

--- Maximus/NT 3.01
    * Origin: Owl's Anchor (1:261/1466)
  • From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Dale Shipp on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 12:07:30
    Biden could not apply sanctions against Russia for something that they might do at some time in the future. But, as soon as Russia invaded,

Biden should have de-escalated the invasion ahead of time. Somebody should
    have spoken with Russian officials about the troop buildup at the border

"Putin, what do you want? We'll negotiate instead of having a a war."

Instead, Biden stayed silent until it was too late, and now his solution is to send billions of taxpayer dollars to Zelenski-the-failure. Also part of the plan, and part of that money, is US military personnel risking their lives to help clean up a mess that was partially created by Joe's ineptness.

Trump, not that he's the answer to everything, would not have allowed this to happen because he has family in Ukraine, so it's personal for him.

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to AARON THOMAS on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 16:52:00
    If that is the case, I agree. However, I have also been one that has said that bowing to the Zionists, taking over an area that had other people living in it and then just giving it to them (and allowing them to mistreat those people unchecked) was and is a mistake.

Yea it looks like it's been a failure, but that was Truman's mistake. Why do Democrats always double-down on their failures, except for this one?

I am certain the answer from a Democrat here would be that they have
    *evolved*.

* SLMR 2.1a * Ethernet: A device to catch the Ether Bunny.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 17:11:00

So Biden has never signed any executive orders, or done anything else, that might discourage domestic oil production?

* SLMR 2.1a * Yes, you're right. Unfortunately, I don't really care.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to DALE SHIPP on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 17:28:00
    invasion and did nothing; it wasn't until after civilians were killed that he finally decided to pinch Russia economically. Therefore, Democrat "hatred for Russia" is really "love in disguise."

Sanctions, true. There are other ways for one country to "pinch" another economically, however.

* SLMR 2.1a * We aren't surrounded. We're in a target-rich environment.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to AARON THOMAS on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 17:38:00
    Instead, Biden stayed silent until it was too late, and now his solution is to
    send billions of taxpayer dollars to Zelenski-the-failure. Also part of the plan, and part of that money, is US military personnel risking their lives to help clean up a mess that was partially created by Joe's ineptness.

Putin saw Ukraine trying to join NATO as a threat. He knows that most of NATO's might has traditionally come from the US. The US does not look very mightly lately, and I doubt anything that Biden would have said to him
    would have detered him much.

* SLMR 2.1a * Rate yourself as a programmer on a scale of 0 to F.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 17:18:35
    On 01 Jun 2022, Mike Powell said the following...
    So Biden has never signed any executive orders, or done anything else, that might discourage domestic oil production?

I was referring to the timeframe of the EU announcement and subsequent price hike.

The US can't produce all of the oil it needs, no matter how much domestic production there is. Measuring oil in simple barrels is extremely misleading, because not all oil is equal. We could produce all of the oil we need, barrel-wise, and still not have enough because we can't produce all of the types of oil that we need. Different types of oil are needed to produce different types of products, and we have to buy foreign oil to get what we need. Gasoline, in particular, relies heavily on foreign oil.

Jeff.

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Jeff Thiele on Thursday, June 02, 2022 01:53:01
    Hello Jeff,

The administration is not the only factor (in this case), but their
    actions, policies, and words played a role. They can currently say,
    with a straight face, that the cost of oil is not set here.

I read in the news that the EU agreed to a partial ban on Russian oil today,
    saying that they would cut around 90% of oil imports to member nations.

Some countries, such as Hungary, are very dependent on oil from Russia.
    It will take years for Hungary to find new supplies, and the ability to
    refine that oil, in order to decrease its dependence on that oil.

The price of oil went up, and with it the price of gasoline.

China continues to buy oil from Russia. So does India. A total
    worldwide ban is an impossility. But the sanctions do hurt. A lot.

The new sanctions Biden imposed on Russia was very much out of the
    ordinary. Unlike the sanctions imposed on Russia by Obama, these new
    sanctions hurt. A lot. And Putin knows it.

Oil is a global commodity whose price is governed by supply and demand. That's why organizations like OPEC can manipulate the price by manipulating
    the supply.

Why has OPEC chosen not to increase supply?
    Why have oil companies chosen not to drill for more oil
    in the Gulf of Mexico and in other waters in the USA?

OPEC has the oil. No problem to increase supply if it wants to.
    Oil companies have the leases. No problem to increase supply if they
    want to.

So what's the problem?

Why is OPEC continuing to enable Putin to continue his war on Ukraine?
    Why are US oil companies continuing to enable Putin to continue his
    war on Ukraine? They must truly love the guy. Along with Donald Trump.
    That is my conclusion. What's yours?

--Lee

--
    I won't fan the flames of hate, ~Joe Biden

--- MesNews/1.08.05.00-gb
    * Origin: news://eljaco.se:4119 (2:203/2)
  • From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Dale Shipp on Thursday, June 02, 2022 01:53:11
    Hello Dale,

invasion and did nothing; it wasn't until after civilians were killed
    that he finally decided to pinch Russia economically. Therefore,
    Democrat "hatred for Russia" is really "love in disguise."

Biden could not apply sanctions against Russia for something that they might do at some time in the future. But, as soon as Russia invaded,

Biden could have imposed sanctions against Russia before Putin had
    ordered his "special military operation" on Ukraine. But that would
    have been not only dumb, but also stupid.

There were some Republicans urging President Biden to impose sanctions
    on Russia before the invasion began. Kind of a pre-emptive first strike.
    But had he done so, that would have removed an option Biden could have
    used as a deterence. Once Putin made the decision to invade, Biden did
    as promised by imposing sanctions (in addition to those already imposed
    on Russia by Obama eight years ago).

I am so glad Biden does not have orange hair and a pot belly.

It is sort of like, if someone writes that they are going to rob a bank, the law cannot do anything (other than monitor them) until they actually attempt doing so.

The 18-year-old shooter in Uvalde, Texas wrote on Facebook what he was
    going to do before he went and did it. Could law enforcement have done something had they been aware of his posts? You betcha!

A 10-year-old kid was arrested and put in jail after he made threats
    in a classroom to do the same thing as that 18-year-old shooter in
    Texas. We all know law enforcement could have done something, because
    it did. We also know the threat was not credible. But hey. Better for
    teacher to call in the big guns than send the kid to the principal's
    office.

--Lee

--
    Lock him up!

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Aaron Thomas on Thursday, June 02, 2022 01:53:17
    Hello Aaron,

Biden should have de-escalated the invasion ahead of time. Somebody should have spoken with Russian officials about the troop buildup at the border

Neville Chamberlain was the greatest negotiator Hitler ever had.

Donald J. Trump was the greatest negotiator Putin ever had.

--Lee

--
    As Good As It Looks

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Lee Lofaso on Wednesday, June 01, 2022 19:15:35
    On 02 Jun 2022, Lee Lofaso said the following...
    The new sanctions Biden imposed on Russia was very much out of the ordinary. Unlike the sanctions imposed on Russia by Obama, these new sanctions hurt. A lot. And Putin knows it.

I was referring to the EU announcement and subsquent increase in gasoline prices. Biden didn't do anything out of the ordinary in that timeframe.

Profits.

Possibly because that wouldn't generate the right kind of oil, and possibly because it's not something that can be done overnight.

Jeff.

• From Dale Shipp@1:261/1466 to Aaron Thomas on Thursday, June 02, 2022 00:58:00
    On 06-01-22 12:07, Aaron Thomas <=-
    spoke to Dale Shipp about Re: Early 2022 vs. 2022 <=-

Biden should have de-escalated the invasion ahead of time. Somebody
    should have spoken with Russian officials about the troop buildup at
    the border

How do you know that negotiations did not take place between the USA and
    Russia prior to their invasion? The government does not telegraph all
    of their actions.

Instead, Biden stayed silent until it was too late,

Again, how do you know that he did that?

and now his
    solution is to send billions of taxpayer dollars to
    Zelenski-the-failure.

So far Zelensky has done pretty good against a difficult situation.

Also part of the plan, and part of that money, is
    US military personnel risking their lives to help clean up a mess that

Where and how are US military personnel risking their lives? There are
    no USA troops in Ukraine.

Dale Shipp
    fido_261_1466 (at) verizon (dot) net
    (1:261/1466)

... Shipwrecked in Silver Spring, Maryland. 01:02:21, 02 Jun 2022
    ___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.30

--- Maximus/NT 3.01
    * Origin: Owl's Anchor (1:261/1466)
  • From Björn Felten@2:203/2 to Dale Shipp on Thursday, June 02, 2022 11:39:44
    How do you know that negotiations did not take place between the USA and Russia prior to their invasion?

Tucker Carlson told him so.

Instead, Biden stayed silent until it was too late,

Again, how do you know that he did that?

Revealed by Sean Hannity.

Where and how are US military personnel risking their lives?

Soon to be announced by Jeanine Pirro.

--- Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; sv-SE; rv:1.9.1.16) Gecko/20101125
  • From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Jeff Thiele on Thursday, June 02, 2022 17:41:38
    Hello Jeff,

The new sanctions Biden imposed on Russia was very much out of the
    ordinary. Unlike the sanctions imposed on Russia by Obama, these new
    sanctions hurt. A lot. And Putin knows it.

I was referring to the EU announcement and subsquent increase in gasoline prices. Biden didn't do anything out of the ordinary in that timeframe.

It is sold on the world market. Imposing sanctions on Russia
    severely affects how much oil Russia can sell, as there are few
    buyers willing to buy. The amount of oil the US imports from
    Russia was miniscule (nonexistent now). Do the math as to how
    much that affected inflation.

Profits.

Limiting the supply of oil artificially increases the price of oil.
    This means more profits for OPEC, and also fuels Putin's war machine.

Why hasn't President Biden called them on this? Doing nothing is not
    a solution.

Possibly because that wouldn't generate the right kind of oil, and possibly
    because it's not something that can be done overnight.

Oil companies have been drilling for oil in the Gulf of Mexico for
    decades. They know exactly what kind of oil it is (sweet crude).
    The oil companies have plenty leases in the Gulf of Mexico that are
    not being used. Why not? Limiting the supply of oil artificially
    increases the price of oil, meaning more profits for oil companies
    and more fuel for Putin's war machine.

Why hasn't President Biden called them on this? Doing nothing is not
    a solution.

The other day, a resident of Uvalde TX told President Biden
    "Do something!" Do you know what his answer was? "I will."

Empty promises. That is all we have been getting from this POTUS.

--Lee

--
    Change Is Cumming

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Lee Lofaso on Thursday, June 02, 2022 11:22:36
    On 02 Jun 2022, Lee Lofaso said the following...
    It is sold on the world market.

Indeed.

buyers willing to buy.

Which impacts the amount available on the world market...

The amount of oil the US imports from
    Russia was miniscule (nonexistent now).

The amount that the US pays for oil is determined by the world market, regardless of where that oil actually originates. The price of gasoline in
    the US is likewise derived from the world market, regardless of whether the
    oil used to make that gasoline originated domestically or was imported.

Do the math as to how
    much that affected inflation.

See above.

Jeff.

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Thursday, June 02, 2022 16:14:00

I was referring to the timeframe of the EU announcement and subsequent price hike.

The US can't produce all of the oil it needs, no matter how much domestic production there is. Measuring oil in simple barrels is extremely misleading, because not all oil is equal. We could produce all of the oil we need, barrel-wise, and still not have enough because we can't produce all of the types of oil that we need. Different types of oil are needed to produce different types of products, and we have to buy foreign oil to get what we need. Gasoline, in particular, relies heavily on foreign oil.

Gasoline is not the only oil-based product that is currently going up.

If we produced more oil, the supply would increase and the price of oil would likely go down. Gasoline currently relies heavily on foreign oil. Might
    still rely on it more than domestic if we produced more oil, but we would be able to make more gas from domestic oil if we had more, which would also
    make the supply higher and the price go down.

* SLMR 2.1a * !edis gnorw eht morf siht ta gnikool era uoY
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Thursday, June 02, 2022 16:48:49
    On 02 Jun 2022, Mike Powell said the following...

True.

If we produced more oil, the supply would increase and the price of oil would likely go down. Gasoline currently relies heavily on foreign oil. Might still rely on it more than domestic if we produced more oil, but
    we would be able to make more gas from domestic oil if we had more,
    which would also make the supply higher and the price go down.

Perhaps. But we'll never have as much control over the price as OPEC.

Jeff.

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Jeff Thiele on Friday, June 03, 2022 02:06:47
    Hello Jeff,

It is sold on the world market.

Indeed.

Cost for consumers is determined by supply/demand. But can be
    manipulated in a number of ways.

buyers willing to buy.

Which impacts the amount available on the world market...

If Russia is not able to sell enough oil to meet its needs, its
    economy will tank. In order to sell, Russia needs buyers. What else
    does Russia have that other countries would want or need? Oil is
    about it (and natural gas), aside from caviar.

The amount of oil the US imports from
    Russia was miniscule (nonexistent now).

The amount that the US pays for oil is determined by the world market, regardless of where that oil actually originates. The price of gasoline in the US is likewise derived from the world market, regardless of whether the
    oil used to make that gasoline originated domestically or was imported.

For the most part, that is true. However, without a buyer Russia has
    no means of selling its product. In February some of the oil the US
    bought was from Russia, but that oil is long gone. Many other countries
    have done the same. Russia today is left with very few markets.

Do the math as to how much that affected inflation.

See above.

Tapping into the oil reserves has little impact on bringing
    inflation under control. It is more of a symbolic thing. What
    is needed is for OPEC to increase production and for oil
    companies to increase drilling in US waters. That would mean
    lower prices for gasoline, and bring inflation under control.

As well as bankrupt the Russian economy, putting an end to
    Putin's war machine.

--Lee

--
    Travel should take you places

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to ALL on Friday, June 03, 2022 18:23:55
    Hello Everybody,

[..]

As a result of the price of gasoline going up, other products
    also continue to go up. That is how an oil-based economy works.

If we produced more oil, the supply would increase and the price of oil would
    likely go down. Gasoline currently relies heavily on foreign oil. Might still rely on it more than domestic if we produced more oil, but we would be
    able to make more gas from domestic oil if we had more, which would also make the supply higher and the price go down.

Oil companies have the leases to drill for oil in the Gulf of Mexico
    (and in other US waters) yet have chosen not to do so, thus limiting
    the supply of domestic production and increasing the cost of gasoline
    for consumers.

The POTUS has released some gasoline from our nation's reserves
    so that costs will not get out of control. With summer coming up,
    the price of gasoline is likely to increase, as the pandemic is
    coming to an end and people go on vacation.

Expect oil companies to continue their selfish price gauging by
    refusal to drill for oil in US waters. After all, no POTUS can make
    them drill ...

--Lee

--
    Often Licked, Never Beaten

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Jeff Thiele on Friday, June 03, 2022 18:24:15
    Hello Jeff,

True.

And also largely irrelevant.

If we produced more oil, the supply would increase and the price of oil
    would likely go down. Gasoline currently relies heavily on foreign oil.
    Might still rely on it more than domestic if we produced more oil, but
    we would be able to make more gas from domestic oil if we had more,
    which would also make the supply higher and the price go down.

Oil companies can, and should, drill for more oil in the Gulf of
    Mexico (and in other US waters). But they choose not to do so, for
    their own selfish reasons. Can non-OPEC countries have more control
    over the price of oil as OPEC? Possibly. But don't hold your breath.

--Lee

--
    If PBS won't do it, who will?

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Friday, June 03, 2022 15:18:00
    If we produced more oil, the supply would increase and the price of oil would likely go down. Gasoline currently relies heavily on foreign oil. Might still rely on it more than domestic if we produced more oil, but we would be able to make more gas from domestic oil if we had more, which would also make the supply higher and the price go down.

They seem a lot less greedy when they think we might start pumping our own.

* SLMR 2.1a * My other computer runs the Enterprise.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Friday, June 03, 2022 15:57:13
    On 03 Jun 2022, Mike Powell said the following...
    They seem a lot less greedy when they think we might start pumping our own.

We also won't replace Russia's share anytime soon.

Jeff.