• Sneakers?

From Mike Miller@1:154/30 to All on Wednesday, February 21, 2024 14:22:16
    HELL YEAH, BORTHER! TRUMP SNEAKERS!

Ok, jokes aside.. What would posess someone to buy those things? I thought Trump fought for "the working class"

I buy a pair of hiking boots every couple years that cost, at most, $150. I'll wear them until they start to fall apart, to get every last cent I paid out of them. (most of the time I will wait until I can find what I want on sale for around $80-$90)

Trump-assosiation aside, these are some ugly-ass shoes.

Please, enlighten me, what would posess someone to buy these things other than some kind of sycophancy?

Mike

... You are a perfect example of why some animals eat their young.
    === GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20231112
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: War Ensemble - warensemble.com - Appleton, WI (1:154/30)
  • From Aaron Thomas@1:342/200 to Mike Miller on Wednesday, February 21, 2024 19:51:46
    Please, enlighten me, what would posess someone to buy these things
    other than some kind of sycophancy?

To support Trump! I'd wear them to support Trump, even though I hate high tops.

I'd wear them just so that people who see me walking around in them can accurately label me as a person who didn't vote for Biden.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2023/04/30 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: JoesBBS.Com, Telnet:23 SSH:22 HTTP:80 (1:342/200)
  • From Mike Miller@1:154/30.1 to Aaron Thomas on Thursday, February 22, 2024 00:29:48

I'd wear them just so that people who see me walking around in them can accurately label me as a person who didn't vote for Biden.

So you would pay $400 for them? Rather than some $20 t-shirt that says "let's go Brandon" or a $15 MAGA trucker hat?

Even without those things, (and having no idea what you look like) I'm willing to bet just about anyone you run into would be able to identify you as someone who didn't vote for Biden with a better than 50% success rate.

But instead you will drop $400 on shoes that you dislike just so you can identify as a person belonging to a specific group.

But it's not a cult, right?

What happens if it turns out those shoes are made in China?

--- AfterShock/Android 1.7.5
    * Origin: South of Heaven - Chaos rampant, an age of distrust (1:154/30.1)
  • From Aaron Thomas@1:342/200 to Mike Miller on Thursday, February 22, 2024 06:43:37
    So you would pay $400 for them? Rather than some $20 t-shirt that says "let's go Brandon" or a $15 MAGA trucker hat?

I'd wear them, but I didn't say I'd pay $400 for them.

Even without those things, (and having no idea what you look like) I'm willing to bet just about anyone you run into would be able to identify you as someone who didn't vote for Biden with a better than 50% success rate.

How?

It's not religious devotion to Trump, it's just political devotion. After he serves another term, this bromance will be over.

This is a common mistake that leftists keep making. They think that conservatives are a collective brain, and we're not. There's dissent.

There's even dissent among Trump supporters. I support Trump, but unlike Trump, I don't blame China for Covid (I blame the USA.)

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Aaron Thomas on Friday, February 23, 2024 00:29:05
    Hello Aaron,

Liar! Liar! Pants on fire!

You know as well as I do that you will never wear those sneakers
    in public. I do not doubt you would pay $400 for them (new), but
    would most defininely question your sanity if you were to be so
    stupid as to ruin them by wearing them in public. Especially since
    the minimum value of those sneakers (new) is worth $7500+ today.

OTOH you could be the stupidest person in Fidonet ...

For Life,
    Lee

--
    GOP thinks banning guns won't elminate guns.
    GOP thinks banning abortion will elininate abortions.

--- MesNews/1.08.05.00-gb
    * Origin: news://eljaco.se:4119 (2:203/2)
  • From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Mike Miller on Friday, February 23, 2024 00:29:12
    Hello Mike,

To support Trump! I'd wear them to support Trump, even though I hate
    high tops.

I'd wear them just so that people who see me walking around in them can
    accurately label me as a person who didn't vote for Biden.

Aaron is no fool. He would gladly pay such a low price for a quality
    buy of that magnitude. So would you, if you were a wise investor.

Of course, he would never actually wear those sneakers in public,
    as he would not want his investment to depreciate in value. But that's
    okay. Telling a fib on a BBS is not a sin.

Even without those things, (and having no idea what you look like) I'm willing to bet just about anyone you run into would be able to identify you
    as someone who didn't vote for Biden with a better than 50% success rate.

Joe Biden received 51% of the popular vote, making his preferred
    candidate a two-time loser. One more strike and you know what that
    means ...

But instead you will drop $400 on shoes that you dislike just so you can identify as a person belonging to a specific group.

He is lying about that part. But who can blame him? This is MAGA
    Land, where such nonsense is displayed in public for all to see.
    However, he is absolutely right about his investment being sound.
    Look at what happened. All the sneakers sold out within a day.
    A very limited supply, at only 1000 pairs, at $400/pair. The
    value per pair today is $7500+. I'll let you do the math.

A shoe is not a cult. A shirt, maybe. But not a shoe.

It's a slow boat to China. And takes a while for taxes to be
    collected. So it might take a while for those sneakers to arrive.
    Regardless of where they are from.

For Life,
    Lee

--
    GOP thinks banning guns won't elminate guns.
    GOP thinks banning abortion will elininate abortions.

--- MesNews/1.08.05.00-gb
    * Origin: news://eljaco.se:4119 (2:203/2)
  • From Ron L.@1:120/616 to Aaron Thomas on Friday, February 23, 2024 07:27:27
    Aaron Thomas wrote to Mike Miller <=-

This is a common mistake that leftists keep making. They think that conservatives are a collective brain, and we're not. There's dissent.

That's because leftists **are** a collective brain. None of them can think for themselves. As soon as they do, they are no longer a leftist.

... Procrastination Day Has Been Postponed!
    ___ MultiMail/Linux v0.52

--- Mystic BBS/QWK v1.12 A47 2021/12/25 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: cold fusion - cfbbs.net - grand rapids, mi (1:120/616)
  • From Aaron Thomas@1:342/200 to Lee Lofaso on Friday, February 23, 2024 06:52:15
    You know as well as I do that you will never wear those sneakers
    in public. I do not doubt you would pay $400 for them (new), but
    would most defininely question your sanity if you were to be so
    stupid as to ruin them by wearing them in public. Especially since
    the minimum value of those sneakers (new) is worth $7500+ today.

I didn't know they were $400. I'll wait until they show up at a discount store to buy them.

Or better yet, I should just get a pair of ugly high tops and spray paint them with gold spray paint. Nobody will know the difference.

OTOH you could be the stupidest person in Fidonet ...

Yea I'm dumb because everybody knows the value of Trump sneakers except me. :( I should enroll myself at Bard College so I can smarten up.

• From IB Joe@1:342/200 to Aaron Thomas on Friday, February 23, 2024 07:11:14
    On 23 Feb 2024, Aaron Thomas said the following...

I didn't know they were $400. I'll wait until they show up at a discount store to buy them.

The guys who bought them for 400 are now trying to sell them for $45,000.00

You should have tried at 400... Start a Fans only page....

IB Joe, Pronouns (FJB/LGB)
    AKA Joe Schweier
    SysOp of 4A 6F 65 73 42 42 53
    -=JoesBBS.com=-

... Classic: A book which people praise but don't read. - Mark Twain

• From Aaron Thomas@1:342/200 to Ron L. on Friday, February 23, 2024 07:19:15

That's because leftists **are** a collective brain. None of them can think for themselves. As soon as they do, they are no longer a leftist.

At least the realize that there are people who don't conform. That gives me hope that some day, many of them will realize that they don't have to conform either.

• From Kurt Weiske@1:218/700 to Ron L. on Friday, February 23, 2024 06:55:00
    Ron L. wrote to Aaron Thomas <=-

That's because leftists **are** a collective brain. None of them can think for themselves. As soon as they do, they are no longer a
    leftist.

How self-fulfilling.

... If it isn't broken, I can fix it.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    * Origin: http://realitycheckbbs.org | tomorrow's retro tech (1:218/700)
  • From Kurt Weiske@1:218/700 to IB Joe on Friday, February 23, 2024 06:58:00
    IB Joe wrote to Aaron Thomas <=-

The guys who bought them for 400 are now trying to sell them for $45,000.00

You mean, like an NFT? Like them, no one's actually seen a pair of
    Trump Shoes in the wild.

... Powered By Celeron (Tualatin). Engineered for the future.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
  • From Mike Miller@1:154/30 to Aaron Thomas on Friday, February 23, 2024 09:50:04
    Hello Aaron!

22 Feb 24 06:43, you wrote to me:

So you would pay $400 for them? Rather than some $20 t-shirt
    that says "let's go Brandon" or a $15 MAGA trucker hat?

I'd wear them, but I didn't say I'd pay $400 for them.

Even without those things, (and having no idea what you look
    like) I'm willing to bet just about anyone you run into would be
    able to identify you as someone who didn't vote for Biden with a
    better than 50% success rate.

How?

There's always a good chance you fit the sterotype. That's why they're sterotypes.

But it's far more likely you'll fall into the "Crossfit" "Vegan" and/or "Linux User" category.

You know the joke. "How can you tell if someone is a Vegan/Crossfitter/Linux User?"

"Don't worry, they'll tell you"

It's been my experience that many people that are all in on Trump fit into that category as well.

It's not religious devotion to Trump, it's just political devotion.
    After he serves another term, this bromance will be over.

First, it doesn't have to be "religious" to be a cult. Plenty of cults were not religious in nature.

Second, to this day, people still talk about Ronald Regan with similar devotion.

There's even dissent among Trump supporters. I support Trump, but
    unlike Trump, I don't blame China for Covid (I blame the USA.)

I'm not talking about that. Trump is always railing on about China. How bad China is. etc. etc.

Are you saying you're also all in on the "Do as I say, not as I do?" thing? Hypocrisy is OK with you?

Mike

... The ratio of literacy to illiteracy is a constant, but nowadays the illiterate
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From Mike Miller@1:154/30 to Ron L. on Friday, February 23, 2024 10:04:23
    Hello Ron!

23 Feb 24 07:27, you wrote to Aaron Thomas:

This is a common mistake that leftists keep making. They think
    that conservatives are a collective brain, and we're not. There's
    dissent.

That's because leftists **are** a collective brain. None of them can think for themselves. As soon as they do, they are no longer a
    leftist.

Wait, does this small aresnal I have mean I'm not a leftist anymore? Aren't I supposed to hate everything about guns?

Mike

... A problem found by solution is gone forever
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From IB Joe@1:342/200 to Kurt Weiske on Friday, February 23, 2024 09:18:02
    On 23 Feb 2024, Kurt Weiske said the following...

You mean, like an NFT? Like them, no one's actually seen a pair of
    Trump Shoes in the wild.

There were only 1000 pairs released... I'm not sure if you'll ever meet any one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145627031406?itmmeta=01HQBC0SJR402VCY9XE2FC6318&hash=i tem21e80c276e:g:2wIAAOSw8EJl105T&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwK40R0ljRaHdDqTROaiCDG9WP MqyELyaD%2BAbgeJ%2BsJmRJIV5dBTm42rJdxuzrw8HiwFrKxLRGVQhz%2B7wmbj5NKnCx7mYiQvrmx yCVUJUpD21QtKrpVOYOduJAUWdob5KWDqxXSx7y56DxRdhIxjh4bCHxY6PrJKzaLUQTEE4sH9xAHES% 2Bip3sqn4JbqNHHwBUyF9ZOjab28tRnNVmjcD4L9K0mJwG%2Bfw78RUDxh0vxQDnEB5cQnWJ8h%2Ffa pFJLUdlg%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR8iZg-y6Yw

There is the link for the ones for $45,000.00 on ebay... They are a rare size, size 14, maybe thats why he's asking so much for them.

IB Joe, Pronouns (FJB/LGB)
    AKA Joe Schweier
    SysOp of 4A 6F 65 73 42 42 53
    -=JoesBBS.com=-

... No honey, I can't eat with the family. My computer gets lonely!

• From Kurt Weiske@1:218/700 to Mike Miller on Friday, February 23, 2024 11:03:52
    Re: Sneakers?
    By: Mike Miller to Ron L. on Fri Feb 23 2024 10:04 am

Wait, does this small aresnal I have mean I'm not a leftist anymore? Aren't I supposed to hate everything about guns?

Reduce the sample size to the outliers then apply those qualities to the larger group. "All Muslims are extremist", "all leftists are trying to take my guns"...

Create nebulous, undefineable qualifiers. Ever hear a someone using the term "woke" trying to define it?

Critical thinking and debate are two classes sorely needed these days.
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Win32
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to Mike Miller on Friday, February 23, 2024 18:20:55
    Ok, jokes aside.. What would posess someone to buy those things? I thought Trump fought for "the working class"

I buy a pair of hiking boots every couple years that cost, at most, $150. I'll wear them until they start to fall apart, to get every last cent I paid out of them. (most of the time I will wait until I can find what I want on sale for around $80-$90)

Trump-assosiation aside, these are some ugly-ass shoes.

Please, enlighten me, what would posess someone to buy these things other than some kind of sycophancy?

Aside from people who collect (sometimes ugly-ass) shoes because they are "collectables" that they believe will increase in value, I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Every 1.5 to 2 years, I buy two pairs of Rockports that combined cost less than one pair of those, look better than those, and each which would very likely outlast those.

#
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)
  • From Aaron Thomas@1:342/200 to Mike Miller on Saturday, February 24, 2024 02:39:08
    This is a common mistake that leftists keep making. They think
    that conservatives are a collective brain, and we're not. There's
    dissent.

Mike, please realize that you're saying the same thing to Ron that I just said to you in my previous message, just in different words.

• From Aaron Thomas@1:342/200 to Mike Miller on Saturday, February 24, 2024 02:37:16
    like) I'm willing to bet just about anyone you run into would be
    able to identify you as someone who didn't vote for Biden with a
    better than 50% success rate.

How?

There's always a good chance you fit the sterotype. That's why they're sterotypes.

Don't say that too loud, the other liberals will get offended.

But it's far more likely you'll fall into the "Crossfit" "Vegan" and/or "Linux User" category.

What's wrong with staying healthy? And what kind of lamer uses Windows?

It's not religious devotion to Trump, it's just political devotion. After he serves another term, this bromance will be over.

First, it doesn't have to be "religious" to be a cult. Plenty of cults were not religious in nature.

By definition, it has to be religious to be a cult. "Fan club" is a better way to describe Trump loyalists.

Second, to this day, people still talk about Ronald Regan with similar devotion.

I'm not a fan of any dead people. It's smart to learn from the dead, but it's dumb to idolize them or to tattoo quotes from them on your face.

There's even dissent among Trump supporters. I support Trump, but unlike Trump, I don't blame China for Covid (I blame the USA.)

I'm not talking about that. Trump is always railing on about China. How bad China is. etc. etc.

Biden is always railing about how white people are the biggest threat to homeland security, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that just because you voted for Biden, it doesn't mean that you are a bigot too; you probably support him for better reasons.

Are you saying you're also all in on the "Do as I say, not as I do?" thing? Hypocrisy is OK with you?

Neither you nor I are going to stand behind every word that comes out of a president's mouth. It's not hypocrisy to support some of the president's statements and to reject some of the president's other statements.

You're being too extreme. It could be a form of autism, but I won't say ""You certainly without a doubt in fact have autism because people with autism have acted like that in the past."

• From Ron L.@1:120/616 to Aaron Thomas on Saturday, February 24, 2024 08:12:41
    Aaron Thomas wrote to Dr. What <=-

At least the realize that there are people who don't conform. That
    gives me hope that some day, many of them will realize that they don't have to conform either.

I think that most of them will wake up. I believe that the ones who can already have.

But like any hivemind, anyone who has different-speak is a threat and an ememy of the hive.

... Don't open the darkroom door; it lets all the dark out.

• From Ron L.@1:120/616 to Kurt Weiske on Saturday, February 24, 2024 08:12:41
    Kurt Weiske wrote to Mike Miller <=-

Which is why you'll never see them in the Public Schools today.

... New religion? I haven't used up the old one, yet!

• From Kurt Weiske@1:218/700 to Ron L. on Saturday, February 24, 2024 09:05:00
    Ron L. wrote to Kurt Weiske <=-

There's a lot to be said for an impressionable body politic that reacts
    to emotional manipulation - from both sides of the aisle. I'm still an
    optimist that thinks that a healthy, educated, employed populace makes
    for a healthy country and think that's an ideal to work towards. It
    feels like it's getting farther and farther away.

... No appropriate tagline.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
  • From Aaron Thomas@1:342/200 to Ron L. on Saturday, February 24, 2024 23:01:55
    At least the realize that there are people who don't conform. That gives me hope that some day, many of them will realize that they don' have to conform either.

I think that most of them will wake up. I believe that the ones who can already have.

But like any hivemind, anyone who has different-speak is a threat and an ememy of the hive.

That's right. And the anxiety they have must be awful. They're too scared to lose the approval of their peers, so they follow the flow of the media to stay on the safe side.

Luckily for them, their peers don't have to find out that they voted for Trump. They can keep it a secret and they can tell their scary bully friends that they voted for Biden.

• From Aaron Thomas@1:342/200 to Ron L. on Saturday, February 24, 2024 23:12:53
    Critical thinking and debate are two classes sorely needed these days

I heard the phrase "Critical Thinking Skills" a lot when I was in school, and the world was a better, safer place back then.

I'm gonna ask my kids if that's even a grading section anymore, anywhere in school.

• From Ron L.@1:120/616 to Kurt Weiske on Sunday, February 25, 2024 07:44:40
    Kurt Weiske wrote to Dr. What <=-

to emotional manipulation - from both sides of the aisle.

Narrative. The "both sides" you are talking about is a myth. The only sides are the Elitists who think that they should rule, and everyone else.

I'm still an
    optimist that thinks that a healthy, educated, employed populace makes
    for a healthy country and think that's an ideal to work towards. It
    feels like it's getting farther and farther away.

That's because the Elitists have long infiltrated our instutitions and trashed them.

... Anyone who remembers the 60's...wasn't there.

• From Ron L.@1:120/616 to Aaron Thomas on Sunday, February 25, 2024 07:44:40
    Aaron Thomas wrote to Dr. What <=-

I heard the phrase "Critical Thinking Skills" a lot when I was in
    school, and the world was a better, safer place back then.

I never heard the term until much later. When I went to school, it was called "education".

I'm gonna ask my kids if that's even a grading section anymore,
    anywhere in school.

Probably not. That's racist, don't ya know.

... I am not young enough to know everything.

• From Kurt Weiske@1:218/700 to Ron L. on Sunday, February 25, 2024 09:32:00
    Ron L. wrote to Kurt Weiske <=-

Kurt Weiske wrote to Dr. What <=-

to emotional manipulation - from both sides of the aisle.

Narrative. The "both sides" you are talking about is a myth. The only sides are the Elitists who think that they should rule, and everyone
    else.

There's a lot of credence in a global elite using partisan politics to
    keep us distracted from larger games going on behind the scenes.

... Remove ambiguities and convert to specifics
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
  • From Kurt Weiske@1:218/700 to Aaron Thomas on Sunday, February 25, 2024 09:50:00
    Aaron Thomas wrote to Ron L. <=-

I'm gonna ask my kids if that's even a grading section anymore,
    anywhere in school.

Schools (at least the ones I've had experience with recently) are
    falling prey to Cults of Terminology. Instead of using exercises,
    quizzes and tests, offering letter grades, let's make up a new
    terminology, built an education framework and patent it.

... Remove ambiguities and convert to specifics
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
  • From Aaron Thomas@1:342/200 to Kurt Weiske on Sunday, February 25, 2024 22:45:40
    I'm gonna ask my kids if that's even a grading section anymore, anywhere in school.

Schools (at least the ones I've had experience with recently) are
    falling prey to Cults of Terminology. Instead of using exercises,
    quizzes and tests, offering letter grades, let's make up a new terminology, built an education framework and patent it.

I understand, and I'm glad you notice it.

But you know that it's being caused by Democrats and globalism, right?