• Salami (Was: Chicken jerky)

From Björn Felten@2:203/2 to Dale Shipp on Tuesday, July 19, 2022 12:49:28
    That sounds like too much liquid smoke to me. We have liquid smoke, and it can quickly cause an acrid taste in food if used too much. If you
    have made this, let me know how it came out -- and whether you should
    have cut the amount down to one gram.

You are right, it depends on what flavour of liquid smoke you get. The one I use seems to be of the mild variety. But I *did* say it was optional. If you prefer a few drops or nothing at all, it's fine. I've used between 1 and 5 g and usually ends of with 2 g.

As for the other question, I usually slice the meat with the grain, but it's not really that different with chicken meat as far as I have found out. Whatever you prefer.

And now for something completely different, salami.

There are a lot of different versions of salami, this recipe was handed down to me by a Hungarian chef many years ago (salami is originally from Hungary).

Ingredients:

400 g minced meat (as fat as possible, at least 20%)
    100 g red wine (the good bottle)
    6 cloves of garlic, less or more to taste, finely chopped
    10 g ground white pepper
    80 g sour cream (organic, 12% fat)

In addition:

500 g water
    100 g salt
    5 g potassium nitrate
    1/2 kitchen towel or other piece of fabric of equivalent size

Do this:

Boil water, salt and nitrate. Add the fabric and let everything cook under a lid for at least five minutes. Save the brine for later.

Mix wine, cream, pepper and garlic to a smooth consistency.

Stir into the minced meat. Cover and let stand in room temperature for at least 24 hours to start the fermentation.

Roll the mixture tightly into the fabric, tying at each end.

Hang the roll in a warm place to dry until it's lost half its weight, probably at least three weeks. Dip the roll in the brine about twice a week. Place a bowl or similar underneath, it will drip the first days.

Since the process is depending on lactic acid bacteria fermentation, it's important that the sour cream is alive. If you can't find proper sour cream, you can try real, live yoghurt (10% fat). Not the disgusting chemical soap sold in small plastic containers with 1-2% fat and 10% sugar.

--- Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; sv-SE; rv:1.9.1.16) Gecko/20101125
    * Origin: news://eljaco.se:4119 (2:203/2)