• Prawn crackers

From Björn Felten@2:203/2 to All on Sunday, June 19, 2022 21:02:10
    OK, no more US bashing from me. I have a lot of recipes, that are original, and were posted on my blog for more than a decade. They were all type: "how can I copy this product without spending a fortune on the original?"

So, if you're interested, I will be happy to share all my "reverse engineering" with you.

First out is the prawn crackers, We all love them, but hate the price, no? :-)

There's a few items that you have to add to your kitchen for this. Most of them pretty cheap, some of them being a long term investment, but often you can get away with what you already have. Anyhow, here goes:

Ingredients:

200 g prawn meat
    100 g water
    12 g sugar
    8 g salt
    2 g ground white pepper
    15 g vegetable oil or melted butter
    300 g tapioca starch
    More oil for frying

Method:

- Blend the prawn meat with the water to form a smooth shrimp paste.

- Put the tapioca starch in a large mixing bowl, then add the shrimp paste and salt, sugar, oil and ground white pepper.

- Continue mixing all the ingredients until the starch has been incorporated thoroughly with the prawn meat to form a stiff dough.

- Shape the thick dough into a log. Grease a bread tin with oil, then place the log in it and steam it for at least 40 minutes.

- Remove the log from the mould. Wrap it with cling film, tighten it and then keep it in the refrigerator overnight.

- Cut the block of the now hardened dough into thin (recommended setting: 2 mm) slices with a mandolin.

- Place the chips in a food dehydrator (at 60°C) until thoroughly dry, usually 8-10 hours.

- Heat the oil to 175°C. Place the dried chips into the hot oil. The chips will expand within a few seconds.

- Fish out the prawn crackers with a spider ladle as they float up. Drain them on paper towels or kitchen paper to remove the excess oil.

--- Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; sv-SE; rv:1.9.1.16) Gecko/20101125
    * Origin: news://eljaco.se:4119 (2:203/2)
  • From JIM WELLER@1:135/392 to BJöRN FELTEN on Monday, June 20, 2022 20:57:00
    Quoting Björn Felten to All <=-

"how can I copy this product without spending a fortune on the
    original?" So, if you're interested, I will be happy to share
    all my "reverse engineering" with you.

Yes, indeed. I for one am interested.

prawn crackers
    200 g prawn meat
    100 g water
    300 g tapioca starch
    Shape the thick dough into a log.
    steam it for at least 40 minutes.
    2 mm slices with a mandolin.
    dehydrator
    Place the dried chips into the hot oil

So that's how it's done!

Cheers

Jim

... You don't drink responsibly, responsibility makes you drink.

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.0pr5
    * Origin: Fidonet Since 1991 www.doccyber.org bbs.docsplace.org (1:135/392)