• Canada FTW!!!

From George Pope@1:153/757 to All on Sunday, January 09, 2022 14:24:06
    I know wwe got more than 2-3 Canadians in Fido -- how anout you-all poke in & sau a little some thing great you know Canada's done.

Finem, i'll go first:

Pretty much singlehandedly won WW1 (Vimy Ridge, anyone?)

On 7-December-1941, ehjern tyhe Japanese bombed our ally's Pacific base, we declared war in response, to Japan faster than they even did! You don't mess with our friends! PERIOD.

Are still best-loved in Europe for our work there in & after WW2

We were part of the coalition that hit the beaches on D-Day.

On 9/11 we were right there with all sorts of assistance. We sent in 100s of firemen & paramedics to scour the wreckage for survivers.

We were instrumental in making the Northwest Passage navigable, by inventing all sorts of quality icebreaker technologies/ships.

I love Okanagan fruit & Purdy's cgocolate; both home-grown Canadian products!

Let's not forget insulin!!!

&, just for a fun tweak of the nose to our American neighbours(we only roast the ones we love): we created & own the patent on the green ink used to print US money. Not one of our greatest, of course, but a just for fun fact.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757)
  • From Shaun Buzza@1:229/110 to George Pope on Sunday, January 09, 2022 18:17:00

Calm down, man! I agree, we had a big role in BOTH world wars. But to say
    that WE single-handedly won either of them suggests that the rest of the world wasn't involved. Don't do that.

On 7-December-1941, ehjern tyhe Japanese bombed our ally's Pacific base, we declared war in response, to Japan faster than they even did! You don't mess with our friends! PERIOD.

Well, that's true enough, by about three hours. The exact difference between our different time zones...weird...

Are still best-loved in Europe for our work there in & after WW2

A part. Don't forget the contributions of the Brits and the Americans. Far
    more of their lives were lost than the number of Canucks who went there.

On 9/11 we were right there with all sorts of assistance. We sent in
    100s of firemen & paramedics to scour the wreckage for survivers.

I don't know what we did for them on 9/11. I was too busy being stunned that ANYONE would intentionally kill that many people, and themselves, at once.

We were instrumental in making the Northwest Passage navigable, by inventing all sorts of quality icebreaker technologies/ships.

Do you really think anyone else would? The Northwest Passage is almost literally Canadian waters!

I love Okanagan fruit & Purdy's cgocolate; both home-grown Canadian products!

OMG! I grew up in the Okanagan Valley! Now, you're getting my camraderie!

The one thing that separates us from our neighbours, besides our spelling of 'neighbour', is pride. I'm sorry for playing Devil's Advocate here, but you sound like a 'Murican living in Canada, to me. Don't let pride lead you
    astray, fellow Canuck!

Nobody has ever had to say "Canada, fuck yeah!". Because we don't need to remind the world. They already know.

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: PiBBS (1:229/110)
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to GEORGE POPE on Monday, January 10, 2022 17:06:00
    &, just for a fun tweak of the nose to our American neighbours(we only roast the ones we love): we created & own the patent on the green ink used to print S money. Not one of our greatest, of course, but a just for fun fact.

The designer of the M-1 Garrand was a Canadian-American.

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * "Did you open the Microwave door before the 'ding'"?
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)
  • From Rob Mccart@1:2320/105 to GEORGE POPE on Tuesday, January 11, 2022 01:00:00
    I know wwe got more than 2-3 Canadians in Fido -- how anout you-all poke in &
    >au a little some thing great you know Canada's done.

Not quite what you probably are looking for but a couple of interesting things I've run across over the years..

One company I worked for made pigments and additives for plastics, paint, inks and such and one time we had an order come in that was all hush-hush and no
    one was allowed near it. Being the second in command of that department I was put in charge of loading it on a special truck and I got a lecture on how careful to be because it turns out what we were sending off to the USA was special radar reflectant paint for stealth bombers and other military ground and aircraft.

I also ran across a little factory at one point off by itself fenced in at the top of a hill with no signs saying what it was and no one seemed to know what they did there. I later found out through a guy who worked there that what was made there were triggers for the USA Nuclear weapons..

So, if nothing else other than calling us 'polite', you can probably say that they trust us to some extent..
    ---
    * SLMR Rob * Rain dance Friday night... weather permitting
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)
  • From George Pope@1:153/757 to Shaun Buzza on Wednesday, January 12, 2022 18:12:34

Calm down, man! I agree, we had a big role in BOTH world wars. But to say
    that WE single-handedly won either of them suggests that the rest of the world
    wasn't involved. Don't do that.

I did say "pretty much" as a qualifier on purpose.

On 7-December-1941, ehjern tyhe Japanese bombed our ally's Pacific base,
    we declared war in response, to Japan faster than they even did! You
    don't mess with our friends! PERIOD.
    Well, that's true enough, by about three hours. The exact difference between our different time zones...weird...

Umm, Ottawa & DC are in the same timezone.

A part. Don't forget the contributions of the Brits and the Americans. Far more of their lives were lost than the number of Canucks who went there.

A part is exactly what I said. I'm proud of our military, that even though we were far fewer in numbers, we leapt forward to do what we could alongside our allies. I would suggest that casualties, by percentage of men landing were similar across national lines.

I'm just pointing out that I think it's cool that our men voluntasrily went forth even though their risk was greater.

Everythinmg I ever say is qualified by: IMHO, YMMV, FWIW (in any order)

On 9/11 we were right there with all sorts of assistance. We sent in
    100s of firemen & paramedics to scour the wreckage for survivers.
    I don't know what we did for them on 9/11. I was too busy being stunned that ANYONE would intentionally kill that many people, and themselves, at once.

I read the reports after the fact. On the day I, too, was stunned at the enormity of what happened. That someone attacked the USA with an act of war (I worried about WW3, honestly, & was sad that my disability meant I couldn't participate(to do my pasrt, not in a blodthirsty way--just want to volunteer as others I've known have done when the times warranted--if global war were the case.)

We were instrumental in making the Northwest Passage navigable, by
    inventing all sorts of quality icebreaker technologies/ships.
    Do you really think anyone else would? The Northwest Passage is almost literally Canadian waters!

But making the passage passable, & granting global access in our waters, is something we did mainly for OTHERS not only for ourselves.

I love Okanagan fruit & Purdy's cgocolate; both home-grown Canadian
    products!
    OMG! I grew up in the Okanagan Valley! Now, you're getting my camraderie!

I grew up on peacgers, pears, & apricots my dad bouight every fall, & camnmed in 1qt mason jats do we had healthy prewsevered fruit all year for desserts/etc.

The one thing that separates us from our neighbours, besides our spelling of 'neighbour', is pride. I'm sorry for playing Devil's Advocate here, but you sound like a 'Murican living in Canada, to me. Don't let pride lead you astray, fellow Canuck!
    Nobody has ever had to say "Canada, fuck yeah!". Because we don't need to remind the world. They already know. (I had to watch the movie when I heard
    the song quoted a while back.)

It's still okay to think on the good things we've done & do. . .

I'm not trying to say we're the greatest, cuz that's a rude claim.

To paraphrase, & clean up, someone else:

What if there's a nation somewhere in an unexplored jungle where half the population will be your slave for a day for 5c & the other half is handing out free nickels?

Juist saying I'm proud to be part of a country that is a doer.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
  • From George Pope@1:153/757 to Mike Powell on Wednesday, January 12, 2022 18:21:10
    &, just for a fun tweak of the nose to our American neighbours(we only roast >>the ones we love): we created & own the patent on the green ink used to print >> S money. Not one of our greatest, of course, but a just for fun fact.
    The designer of the M-1 Garrand was a Canadian-American.

Yup, we share a lot of stuff. . . We're brothers!

Superman, too, was a co-creation of both countries.

& the telephone; Bell was Canadian, but America gave him the resources needed to put it all together into a useful invention.

Until recently(covid) we had the longest shared open border in the world!

I could as easily make a post praising them, but they have 10X our populastoin of people to do that themselves, & I was just trying to start a convo in this "Canada" echo. . .

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
  • From George Pope@1:153/757 to Rob Mccart on Wednesday, January 12, 2022 18:30:24
    I know wwe got more than 2-3 Canadians in Fido -- how anout you-all poke in
    &
    au a little some thing great you know Canada's done.
    Not quite what you probably are looking for but a couple of interesting things
    I've run across over the years..
    One company I worked for made pigments and additives for plastics, paint, inks
    and such and one time we had an order come in that was all hush-hush and no one was allowed near it. Being the second in command of that department I was put in charge of loading it on a special truck and I got a lecture on how careful to be because it turns out what we were sending off to the USA was special radar reflectant paint for stealth bombers and other military ground and aircraft.
    I also ran across a little factory at one point off by itself fenced in at the
    top of a hill with no signs saying what it was and no one seemed to know what
    they did there. I later found out through a guy who worked there that what was
    made there were triggers for the USA Nuclear weapons..
    So, if nothing else other than calling us 'polite', you can probably say that they trust us to some extent..

I was mainly just trying to generate some convo in the echo, so this is what I was looking for! :)

We're definitely friends, brothers, allies, & comrades-in-arms.

The fact we had an open border with them for so long (only tightened up since covid) is as much a distinction as us English & the French allying(mostly) to make one nation together!

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5