• Coming to Canada

From Ward Dossche@2:292/854 to All on Saturday, July 09, 2022 08:35:49
    I'm heading to the USA Oct.29th via Calgary. Probably nobody's interested in it, but I'm just telling you anyway .... Returning to Europe Nov.6th ... also via Calgary ...

\%/@rd

--- DB4 - 20220519
    * Origin: Many Glacier - Preserve / Protect / Conserve (2:292/854)
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to WARD DOSSCHE on Sunday, July 10, 2022 14:39:00
    I'm heading to the USA Oct.29th via Calgary. Probably nobody's interested in i
    but I'm just telling you anyway .... Returning to Europe Nov.6th ... also via
    algary ...

That is a short trip.

Alberta is a place I would like to visit.

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * You're so vain / I bet you think this tagline's about you
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)
  • From Ward Dossche@2:292/854 to Mike Powell on Sunday, July 10, 2022 22:59:34
    That is a short trip.

I've had shorter ... Brussels to New York, back the next day.

Associate of mine flew to Montreal from Brussels, delivered a speech, did some shopping, caught the evening flight back. Returned to Brussels 22h after he had left.

Alberta is a place worth visiting too ...

\%/@rd

--- DB4 - 20220519
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to WARD DOSSCHE on Monday, July 11, 2022 16:46:00
    That is a short trip.

I've had shorter ... Brussels to New York, back the next day.

Associate of mine flew to Montreal from Brussels, delivered a speech, did some
    hopping, caught the evening flight back. Returned to Brussels 22h after he had
    eft.

I was thinking it was short for a pleasure trip. Business trips, on the
    other hand, can be real short. :)

Alberta is a place worth visiting too ...

Good to hear that! I actually would like to go up through the Yukon to the Artic Ocean one day.

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * A preposition is what you don't end a sentence with. Um.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Ward Dossche@2:292/854 to Mike Powell on Tuesday, July 12, 2022 09:56:51
    I was thinking it was short for a pleasure trip. Business trips, on the other hand, can be real short. :)

Well, I'm taking my 12yr old granddaughter with me. She's going to do Halloween with twin girly friends she has in Montana, there's a school break then here but she has to be back Nov 7th so we need to fly the 5th as the eastbound transoceanic crossings for passengers are mostly night flights, arriving the 6th and we cannot depart before Oct.29th.

My oldest daughter (30) is also going along. She's a delivery nurse with only little opportunity for time-off ...

And when you have to be in Montana, then flying into Calgary with KLM or Air Canada is about 1/2-1/3 of the ticket price compared to e.g. Delta or United to the US destination which is just a 4-5hr drive away. A single roundtrip to Calgary costs about 650 Euro while to comparable Great Falls MT it is like 1500-1600 Euro.

\%/@rd

--- DB4 - 20220519
  • From August Abolins@1:153/757.21 to Ward Dossche on Tuesday, July 12, 2022 09:01:00
    Hello Ward!

** On Tuesday 12.07.22 - 09:56, you wrote to Mike Powell:

And when you have to be in Montana, then flying into
    Calgary with KLM or Air Canada is about 1/2-1/3 of the
    ticket price compared to e.g. Delta or United to the US
    destination which is just a 4-5hr drive away. A single
    roundtrip to Calgary costs about 650 Euro while to
    comparable Great Falls MT it is like 1500-1600 Euro.

You're DRIVING into Montana from Calgary? Interesting cost-
    cutting strategy. Hopefully no roadside emergencies will arise
    at such a tight schedule.

--
    ../|ug

--- OpenXP 5.0.51
    * Origin: Stare into this point intently ->.<- (1:153/757.21)
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to WARD DOSSCHE on Tuesday, July 12, 2022 16:07:00
    And when you have to be in Montana, then flying into Calgary with KLM or Air C
    ada is about 1/2-1/3 of the ticket price compared to e.g. Delta or United to t
    US destination which is just a 4-5hr drive away. A single roundtrip to Calgar
    costs about 650 Euro while to comparable Great Falls MT it is like 1500-1600 E
    o.

Jeez, that is outrageous. This way, you save money and probably get to
    drive through some pretty country.

I much prefer driving for that reason, provided the destination is one I
    can drive to.

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * War is God's way of teaching us geography.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Ward Dossche@2:292/854 to August Abolins on Tuesday, July 12, 2022 23:36:07
    You're DRIVING into Montana from Calgary? Interesting cost-
    cutting strategy. Hopefully no roadside emergencies will arise
    at such a tight schedule.

It's 250km from Calgary airport to the border. Even when scrupulously observing the speed limits, that's an easy drive in 3 hours.

It becomes interesting when crossing the border at Carway as that time of the year they have maybe 20 vehicles in a day. Those US border patrol people enjoy the chat.

As for the emergencies ... good travel insurance takes care of that.

\%/@rd

--- DB4 - 20220519
  • From Ward Dossche@2:292/854 to Mike Powell on Tuesday, July 12, 2022 23:37:01
    Jeez, that is outrageous. This way, you save money and probably get to drive through some pretty country.

Oh yes. Especially if it's a sunny day with the snow on the Rockies.

The money saved is what you spend on car-rental, gas, most of the motels and meals.

I just checked and we're saving like CAD$4,572.

It's like going to Detroit (from Europe) ... fly into Toronto and drive to Windsor... then cross the border (you can't drop a Canadian rental in the US).

That's experience derived from a lot of travel messing things up.

\%/@rd

--- DB4 - 20220519
  • From Nick Andre@1:229/426 to Ward Dossche on Tuesday, July 12, 2022 20:53:54
    On 12 Jul 22 23:37:01, Ward Dossche said the following to Mike Powell:

It's like going to Detroit (from Europe) ... fly into Toronto and drive to Windsor... then cross the border (you can't drop a Canadian rental in the U

In another "I did not know that" moment today, I have to book a flight for my daughter from YTZ to YUL Montreal and apparently, the ferry in downtown Toronto to the Billy Bishop airport on the island across is one of the world's shortest, approx. 1 minute, or 120 meters... or something to that effect.

https://www.billybishopairport.com/to-from/ferry

Yes I know... a very rare moment I copy-n-paste URL's in my message.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
    * Origin: Joey, do you like movies about gladiators? (1:229/426)
  • From Ward Dossche@2:292/854 to Nick Andre on Wednesday, July 13, 2022 09:42:06
    https://www.billybishopairport.com/to-from/ferry

Yes I know... a very rare moment I copy-n-paste URL's in my message.

Been too close to Russians ... they reply near everything with a URL.

\%/@rd

--- DB4 - 20220519
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to WARD DOSSCHE on Wednesday, July 13, 2022 15:43:00
    It's like going to Detroit (from Europe) ... fly into Toronto and drive to Win
    or... then cross the border (you can't drop a Canadian rental in the US).

That's experience derived from a lot of travel messing things up.

I did not know you could not drop a rental car from Canada in the US. Good thing to know!

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * This message written with recycled electrons.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Ward Dossche@2:292/854 to Mike Powell on Wednesday, July 13, 2022 23:59:09
    I did not know you could not drop a rental car from Canada in the US.
    Good thing to know!

2 reasons ....

* Car rental companies are franchises ... for example Hertz in Canada is not
    the same as Hertz in the US. They are not sure the car will cycle back to
    the original owner.

* The insurance is different. So when you rent a car in Canada and wish to
    cross the border into the US, you first need to figure out if the insurance
    is valid. If you do not return the car to the country of origin it will be
    treated as theft.

Now if you drive a friend's car across the border, even when it is OK, you need a written authorization by the owner and a copy of his/her driver's license or passport.

... EXPERIENCE ...

\%/@rd

--- DB4 - 20220519
  • From Nick Andre@1:229/426 to Ward Dossche on Wednesday, July 13, 2022 18:43:28
    On 13 Jul 22 23:59:09, Ward Dossche said the following to Mike Powell:

Now if you drive a friend's car across the border, even when it is OK, you need a written authorization by the owner and a copy of his/her driver's license or passport.

This is correct... also learned this from experience. The hard way.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
    * Origin: Joey, do you like movies about gladiators? (1:229/426)
  • From Ward Dossche@2:292/854 to George Pope on Tuesday, January 31, 2023 18:42:38
    So how was Calgary during your transfer/layover?

Calgary is a beautifull airport to fly into and out of.

The main advantage for me is that I fly a lot into Montana. Via a US gateway that can become expensive because of 2 flight changes and the last leg often is a CRJ200, meaning fills up quickly and elbow room is at a premium.

Calgary is an intercontinental airport taking flights non-stop straight out of Europe, no expensive transfer fees, immigration is so low profile you need to wonder all the time "have we passed it already?". Every time I've been there everything was easy, it was not a fight nor struggle for survival such as New York airports often are. I like it.

Then I always stay at the Holiday Inn North at the Barlow Trail. Great rooms, excellent pool and a restaurant which serves a burger with Boursin cheese to die for. In the morning their shuttle takes me to the car rental that way I save a day on rental charges.

After that, just take highway-2 south and keep going until you hit the US border. Beautiful drive, especially in wintery environments.

I always stop at Nanton at the Bomber Command Museum, I find it a fascinating place...

Generally, I like Southern Alberta.

I once flew via Vancouver coming from Paris (France). At immigration and customs they said "Transfering to Westjet? Don't need to see your passport" ... " But, but ... I've got a minor with me (10yr old granddaughter at the time). don't you need to check the parental consent?" ... "No sir, everything's fine ..." ... :-)

Try passing a US border and they treat you like a common criminal.

Was it worth leaving the older civilization of Europe for the USA for
    that time?

Hmmmm ... you need to define what "civilized" means ...

\%/@rd

--- DB4 - 20220519
  • From George Pope@1:153/757 to Ward Dossche on Tuesday, January 31, 2023 07:15:32
    I'm heading to the USA Oct.29th via Calgary. Probably nobody's interested in it, but I'm just telling you anyway .... Returning to Europe Nov.6th ... also via Calgary ...

Was it worth leaving the older civilization of Europe for the USA for that time?

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-6
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757)
  • From George Pope@1:153/757 to Ward Dossche on Wednesday, March 01, 2023 07:03:04
    Calgary is a beautifull airport to fly into and out of.
    The main advantage for me is that I fly a lot into Montana. Via a US gateway
    that can become expensive because of 2 flight changes and the last leg often i
    a CRJ200, meaning fills up quickly and elbow room is at a premium.
    Calgary is an intercontinental airport taking flights non-stop straight out of
    Europe, no expensive transfer fees, immigration is so low profile you need to wonder all the time "have we passed it already?". Every time I've been there everything was easy, it was not a fight nor struggle for survival such as New York airports often are. I like it.
    Then I always stay at the Holiday Inn North at the Barlow Trail. Great rooms, excellent pool and a restaurant which serves a burger with Boursin cheese to die for. In the morning their shuttle takes me to the car rental that way I save a day on rental charges.
    After that, just take highway-2 south and keep going until you hit the US border. Beautiful drive, especially in wintery environments.
    I always stop at Nanton at the Bomber Command Museum, I find it a fascinating place...
    Generally, I like Southern Alberta.
    I once flew via Vancouver coming from Paris (France). At immigration and
    customs they said "Transfering to Westjet? Don't need to see your passport" ..
    " But, but ... I've got a minor with me (10yr old granddaughter at the time). don't you need to check the parental consent?" ... "No sir, everything's fine ..." ... :-)
    Try passing a US border and they treat you like a common criminal.
    Was it worth leaving the older civilization of Europe for the USA for
    that time?
    Hmmmm ... you need to define what "civilized" means ...

Gad we could treat you well on your "via". . . :)

I guess I meant "civilized" that time as "less grossly UNCivilized & with universal healthcare coverage."

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-6
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757)