• Question how to receive Netmails

From Michael Mrak@VERT to All on Friday, January 21, 2022 12:53:44
    Hello everybody!

I am running SBBS on Linux, latest version (fidobbs.mrak.at). I can send netmails to Fidonet from 2:31/124 as well as from 2:31/124 with SBBS. So outgoing netmails work perfectly.

But I can receive netmails in SBBS only as 2:31/124. Netmails sent to 2:31/123 do not arrive.

2:31/124 is my primary address
    2:31/123 is an AKA address

All fidonet echomails are processed perfectly as 2:31/124.

Do You have any hints for me? Or is this a natural limitation of using two fidonet addresses with SBBS?

Kind regards from the heart or Europe

Michael

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5--b20170303
    * Origin: Silent Chat Point (2:310/31.4)
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Michael Mrak on Friday, January 21, 2022 12:22:26
    Re: Question how to receive Netmails
    By: Michael Mrak to All on Fri Jan 21 2022 12:53 pm

Hello everybody!

I am running SBBS on Linux, latest version (fidobbs.mrak.at). I can send netmails to Fidonet from 2:31/124 as well as from 2:31/124 with SBBS. So outgoing netmails work perfectly.

Those 2 addresses are the same. :-)

But I can receive netmails in SBBS only as 2:31/124. Netmails sent to 2:31/123 do not arrive.

Maybe it's a problem on the sender's side?

Do you mean netmails? Anyway, firstly the BinkP connection has to be made from either the sender or (if the netmail was routed) some intermediary system (i.e. your uplink). Is it possible that the netmails were sent using different modes (e.g. one was crash while the other was routed), in which case, it might take longer for one to arrive than the other.

Do You have any hints for me? Or is this a natural limitation of using two fidonet addresses with SBBS?

There's no such limitation. Sysops run with multiple FTN AKAs all the time, no problem. The hints are usually in the logs. In this case, it could be the logs from the *sending* system, that might provide the helpful clues. If the sending system were a Synchronet system, I would recommend looking at the log output from SBBSecho and BinkIT. But I don't know *what* the netmail-sending system is in this test you conducted...
    --
    digital man (rob)

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #24:
    DOVE = Domain/Vertrauen
    Norco, CA WX: 67.6°F, 34.0% humidity, 3 mph SW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
  • From mark lewis@VERT to All on Saturday, January 22, 2022 05:23:58
    On 2022 Jan 21 12:53:44, Michael Mrak wrote to you:

FWIW: this has been solved via discord...

the actual problem was in the nodelist... one address is/was listed with the standard binkd port and the other address is/was listed with a different port... since both addresses point to one and only one system and only one mailer is being used for them, the solution is/was to have the non-standard binkd port removed from the one address listed with it...

)\/(ark

"The soul of a small kitten in the body of a mighty dragon. Look on my majesty, ye mighty, and despair! Or bring me catnip. Your choice. Oooh, a shiny thing!"
    ... Diplomacy is the art of saying nice doggy until you can find a rock.
    ---
    * Origin: (1:3634/12.73)
  • From Carol Shenkenberger@VERT/SHENKS to Michael Mrak on Saturday, January 22, 2022 21:13:00
    Re: Question how to receive N
    By: Michael Mrak to All on Fri Jan 21 2022 12:53 pm

Hello everybody!

I am running SBBS on Linux, latest version (fidobbs.mrak.at). I can send net

But I can receive netmails in SBBS only as 2:31/124. Netmails sent to 2:31/1

Do You have any hints for me? Or is this a natural limitation of using two f

Kind regards from the heart or Europe

Michael

Michael, this isn't really a synchronet question but no, it's not a synchronet limit exactly. I run 2 distinctly different BBSes here, not on same computer even (more of a windows limiter with resources). To make them work off a common router, they use different BinkP settings. One is default 24554 and the other is 24555. This then is handled by the router.

I am pretty sure if that was the type of issue you mean, then we need to move the discussion elsewhere.

xxcarol

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ SHENK'S EXPRESS, Virginia Beach, VA, shenks.synchro.net