• door game that changes online time

From acn@VERT/IMZADI to All on Sunday, January 16, 2022 13:36:08
    Hi,

I've installed BigWins Lotto which takes online time per try and also gives time as a prize.

But I have the impression that Synchronet doesn't read back the changed values from DOOR.SYS after the door game returns to the BBS.

I've looked at the DOOR.SYS before and after the game ran and eg. before, I had 546 mins left and after I won 30 mins, I had 572 mins left.
    BWLOTTO did change the DOOR.SYS file in the nodeX directory.
    But when running BWLOTTO again, I still only have 546 mins left?

In SCFG, I've set the following options for the door:
    - BBS Drop File Type: GAP DOOR.SYS
    - Place Drop File In: Node Directory
    - Modify User Data: Yes
    - Time Options / Monitor Time Left: Yes
    (although I don't know what exactly this does)

I thought that by "Modify User Data", the DOOR.SYS should be re-read after the door exits and the changed time should be taken into account?

Or is it just that 546 is some kind of max. value?

Thank you!

Regards,
    Anna

---
    þ Synchronet þ Imzadi Box -*- box.imzadi.de
  • From Digital Man@VERT to acn on Sunday, January 16, 2022 12:52:53
    Re: door game that changes online time
    By: acn to All on Sun Jan 16 2022 01:36 pm

Hi,

I've installed BigWins Lotto which takes online time per try and also gives time as a prize.

But I have the impression that Synchronet doesn't read back the changed values from DOOR.SYS after the door game returns to the BBS.

I've looked at the DOOR.SYS before and after the game ran and eg. before, I had 546 mins left and after I won 30 mins, I had 572 mins left.
    BWLOTTO did change the DOOR.SYS file in the nodeX directory.
    But when running BWLOTTO again, I still only have 546 mins left?

In SCFG, I've set the following options for the door:
    - BBS Drop File Type: GAP DOOR.SYS
    - Place Drop File In: Node Directory
    - Modify User Data: Yes
    - Time Options / Monitor Time Left: Yes
    (although I don't know what exactly this does)

I thought that by "Modify User Data", the DOOR.SYS should be re-read after the door exits and the changed time should be taken into account?

Or is it just that 546 is some kind of max. value?

Synchronet doesn't read back/apply *all* the changes in the door.sys file. It'll read back and apply changes to lines:
    15: security level
    23: security flags (set 1)
    25: expiration date
    29: downloaded files
    30: kbytes downloaded today
    42: time credits (in minutes)

Which lines is your door changing to reflect the "won" time? If it was line 42, I would expect that to work, but you couldn't have a reduction in time left (lost time) other than the time spent running/playing the door.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Rush quote #34:
    We go out in the world take our chances fate's just the weight of circumstances Norco, CA WX: 71.8°F, 24.0% humidity, 3 mph NW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From acn@VERT/IMZADI to Digital Man on Monday, January 17, 2022 11:23:23
    Hi,

Synchronet doesn't read back/apply *all* the changes in the door.sys file. It'll read back and apply changes to lines:

As I see it, the game reads line 19 upon start and alters that value after exiting.

Which lines is your door changing to reflect the "won" time? If it was line 42, I would expect that to work, but you couldn't have a reduction in time left (lost time) other than the time spent running/playing the door.

Oh, so 'betting' with online time where you can also loose time isn't possible right now.
    Hmm, then the game is kinda pointless at the moment...

Do you consider a change here?

Thank you!

Regards,
    Anna

---
    þ Synchronet þ Imzadi Box -*- box.imzadi.de
  • From Digital Man@VERT to acn on Monday, January 17, 2022 12:17:25
    Re: door game that changes online time
    By: acn to Digital Man on Mon Jan 17 2022 11:23 am

Hi,

As I see it, the game reads line 19 upon start and alters that value after exiting.

Oh, so 'betting' with online time where you can also loose time isn't possible right now.
    Hmm, then the game is kinda pointless at the moment...

Do you consider a change here?

Time is a strange thing as its dynamic and relative. A users "minute bank" can be toyed with (line 49) to add and subtract additional time (beyond what their security level would allow), but there's no other line that really makes sense to read back in and use to control time. After all, normally a user would have less time when the exit a door than when the first ran it (but behavior is also configurable in SCFG).

"credits" is probably a better thing to let users bet/play with. Credits can be use to "buy" more time too if that's how the user would like to spend them.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Rush quote #14:
    Living in a fish eye lens, caught in the camera eye, I have no heart to lie Norco, CA WX: 58.2°F, 78.0% humidity, 2 mph WNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net