• Netmails not showing up in inbox

From Codefenix@VERT/CONCHAOS to All on Friday, December 17, 2021 10:47:18
    I've recently noticed incoming netmail messages don't show up in my inbox, even though I'll see notifications of received netmails when I log into my BBS, and I can visually see them in the mail.sdt file. Happening with all the nets I'm in as best I can tell.

Local email and internet email are working just fine. Problem seems specific to netmail. Can't pinpoint when the problem began.

Any common troubleshooting I can do?

I'm using SBBS 3.18b and the msglist module if it matters.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ -=[ conchaos.synchro.net | ConstructiveChaos BBS ]=-
  • From Codefenix@VERT/CONCHAOS to All on Saturday, December 18, 2021 10:01:45
    Re: Netmails not showing up in inbox
    By: Codefenix to All on Fri Dec 17 2021 10:47 am

I've recently noticed incoming netmail messages don't show up in my inbox, even though I'll see notifications of received netmails when I log into my BBS, and I can visually see them in the mail.sdt file. Happening with all the nets I'm in as best I can tell.
    Local email and internet email are working just fine. Problem seems specific to netmail. Can't pinpoint when the problem began.

Well, I removed mslist from the Read Mail Loadable Modules and am using the stock message lister now, and netmails are now showing up just fine.

Does anyone have any idea what would cause msglist.js to filter out netmails specifically? It hasn't always done this... maybe only started within the last couple of months.

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Codefenix on Sunday, December 19, 2021 18:46:53

Any common troubleshooting I can do?

Are you referring to FidoNet netmail? If yes, then what check that you're running the latest SBBSecho version and check your sbbsecho.log file for what it says about the netmail.

If some other kind of netmail (e.g. QWK), please specify.

I'm using SBBS 3.18b and the msglist module if it matters.

Probably not. Can you list or read the mail message(s) in question using smbutil? Does it say the message is marked for deletion or perhaps waiting in the inbox of a different user number (than you)?
    --
    digital man (rob)

This Is Spinal Tap quote #38:
    Artie Fufkin: I'm not asking, I'm telling with this. Kick my ass.
    Norco, CA WX: 54.2°F, 69.0% humidity, 4 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Codefenix on Sunday, December 19, 2021 18:50:22
    By: Codefenix to All on Sat Dec 18 2021 10:01 am

Well, I removed mslist from the Read Mail Loadable Modules and am using the stock message lister now, and netmails are now showing up just fine.

Does anyone have any idea what would cause msglist.js to filter out netmails specifically? It hasn't always done this... maybe only started within the last couple of months.

Maybe get the latest msglist.js from Git?
    --
    digital man (rob)

Breaking Bad quote #17:
    Your breath could knock the buzzard off a shit wagon. - Hank
    Norco, CA WX: 54.2°F, 69.0% humidity, 4 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
  • From Codefenix@VERT/CONCHAOS to Digital Man on Monday, December 20, 2021 11:49:52
    By: Digital Man to Codefenix on Sun Dec 19 2021 06:50 pm

My msglist.js is the same as what's currently in Git.

To answer the earlier questions, yes I did mean Fidonet netmail. smbutil could read the messages, they were addressed to me, and they were not marked for deletion. sbbsecho.log shows the incoming netmail addressed to my name with my correct Fidonet address as expected with no errors. msglist.js just wasn't displaying them but the stock lister is.

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Codefenix on Monday, December 20, 2021 19:35:07
    By: Codefenix to Digital Man on Mon Dec 20 2021 11:49 am

By: Digital Man to Codefenix on Sun Dec 19 2021 06:50 pm

My msglist.js is the same as what's currently in Git.

How did you determine that?

To answer the earlier questions, yes I did mean Fidonet netmail. smbutil could read the messages, they were addressed to me, and they were not marked for deletion. sbbsecho.log shows the incoming netmail addressed to my name with my correct Fidonet address as expected with no errors. msglist.js just wasn't displaying them but the stock lister is.

Does smbutil report the mail message as "to" your user number?

It's possible its a bug in msglist.js, but I'm pretty sure I was addressing issues with FTN netmail and msglist.js for Phil recently, so it's been under some use/testing and was reportedly working okay.
    --
    digital man (rob)

This Is Spinal Tap quote #6:
    David St. Hubbins: He was the patron saint of quality footwear.
    Norco, CA WX: 58.5°F, 33.0% humidity, 1 mph SE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---