• Access??

From HusTler@VERT/PHARCYDE to All on Monday, November 29, 2021 07:44:23
    Why would a SysOp make this sub "Synchronet Discussion" a closed area? Closed meaning only SysOps can post or reply messages. Any thoughts? Other then SysOPs can assign access levels to whatever they want. I know that. Is the message area "Synchronet Discusion" meant to be a closed area? I didn't get the memo
    if thats the case. Clarification please?

|07 HusTler

... A conclusion is simply the place where someone got tired of thinking.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ thePharcyde_ telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin)
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to HusTler on Monday, November 29, 2021 16:21:23
    Re: Access??
    By: HusTler to All on Mon Nov 29 2021 07:44:23

Is the message area "Synchronet Discusion" meant to be a closed area? I

No. This sub is for discussion of Synchronet by all interested parties, as far as I know. Not just sysops.

The "Conferences" table on the DOVE-Net wiki page shows what the access requirements should be:

http://wiki.synchro.net/network:dove-net

Why would a SysOp make this sub "Synchronet Discussion" a closed area?

Probably they misunderstood the purpose/nature of the sub.

didn't get the memo if thats the case. Clarification please?

Why are you asking?

If you saw some BBS that had this area restricted, you should ask the sysop directly. They probably just made a mistake and need to fix it.

If somebody told you it should be restricted, they were wrong.

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to HusTler on Monday, November 29, 2021 13:43:07
    By: HusTler to All on Mon Nov 29 2021 07:44 am

Why would a SysOp make this sub "Synchronet Discussion" a closed area? Closed meaning only SysOps can post or reply messages. Any thoughts? Other then SysOPs can assign access levels to whatever they want. I know that. Is the message area "Synchronet Discusion" meant to be a closed area? I didn't get the memo
    if thats the case. Clarification please?

|07 HusTler

he probably has it confused with that other msg sub for sysops only.
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to HUSTLER on Monday, November 29, 2021 18:38:00
    Why would a SysOp make this sub "Synchronet Discussion" a closed area? Closed
    meaning only SysOps can post or reply messages. Any thoughts? Other then SysOP
    can assign access levels to whatever they want. I know that. Is the message area "Synchronet Discusion" meant to be a closed area? I didn't get the memo if thats the case. Clarification please?

I don't think it needs to be closed to sysops. It is not here.

* SLMR 2.1a * "Mmmmmmmm.....bacon..."

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS to HusTler on Tuesday, November 30, 2021 01:03:59
    On Mon, 29 Nov 2021 07:44:23 -0600
    "HusTler" <hustler@VERT/PHARCYDE> wrote:

Why would a SysOp make this sub "Synchronet Discussion" a closed
    area? Closed meaning only SysOps can post or reply messages. Any
    thoughts? Other then SysOPs can assign access levels to whatever they
    want. I know that. Is the message area "Synchronet Discusion" meant
    to be a closed area? I didn't get the memo if thats the case.
    Clarification please?

The bottom line is a sysop can grant (or not) access to any, all, or
    none of the forums they carry. Most have rules and they can raise the
    ire of a moderator or group owner. In general, follow the rules, but
    they're well in their right to restrict access.
    --
    End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
    telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nelgin on Tuesday, November 30, 2021 04:48:49
    Re: Re: Access??
    By: Nelgin to HusTler on Tue Nov 30 2021 01:03 am

On Mon, 29 Nov 2021 07:44:23 -0600
    "HusTler" <hustler@VERT/PHARCYDE> wrote:

Why would a SysOp make this sub "Synchronet Discussion" a closed
    area? Closed meaning only SysOps can post or reply messages. Any
    thoughts? Other then SysOPs can assign access levels to whatever they want. I know that. Is the message area "Synchronet Discusion" meant
    to be a closed area? I didn't get the memo if thats the case. Clarification please?

The bottom line is a sysop can grant (or not) access to any, all, or
    none of the forums they carry. Most have rules and they can raise the
    ire of a moderator or group owner. In general, follow the rules, but
    they're well in their right to restrict access.

well he should ask the sysop of pharcyde. i think nick just did it because he confused it with the synchronet sysop echo.
    ---
  • From HusTler@VERT/PHARCYDE to echicken on Wednesday, December 01, 2021 13:16:54
    By: echicken to HusTler on Mon Nov 29 2021 04:21 pm

Is the message area "Synchronet Discusion" meant to be a closed area? I

No. This sub is for discussion of Synchronet by all interested parties, as f as I know. Not just sysops.
    The "Conferences" table on the DOVE-Net wiki page shows what the access requirements should be:
    Why are you asking?

If you saw some BBS that had this area restricted, you should ask the sysop directly. They probably just made a mistake and need to fix it.

Thanks for the clarification. I asked the SysOP about it and he offered to give me access if I was a visiting SysOP. I wasn't interested in being part of a SysOp only Synchronet Discussion sub. I felt it should be open to anyone. But that's just me I guess.

|07 HusTler

---
  • From HusTler@VERT/PHARCYDE to MRO on Wednesday, December 01, 2021 13:29:31
    By: MRO to Nelgin on Tue Nov 30 2021 04:48 am

well he should ask the sysop of pharcyde. i think nick just did it because h confused it with the synchronet sysop echo. ---
    I have posting priviliges on Pharcyde. It's another BBS I don't have posting or responding access. I thought it was strange so I asked about it. It's the SysOPs right to remove posting priviliges on any sub he/she wants. I just don't understand the logic behind it. Synchronet is a great BBS program and "Synchronet Discussion" is a great place for folks thinking about running it. Not just SysOPs. There's already too many SysOp to SysOP boards in my opinion. ;-)

|07 HusTler

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to HusTler on Wednesday, December 01, 2021 12:10:03
    By: HusTler to MRO on Wed Dec 01 2021 01:29 pm

By: MRO to Nelgin on Tue Nov 30 2021 04:48 am

well he should ask the sysop of pharcyde. i think nick just did it because h confused it with the synchronet sysop echo. ---
    I have posting priviliges on Pharcyde. It's another BBS I don't have posting or responding access. I thought it was strange so I asked about it. It's the SysOPs right to remove posting priviliges on any sub he/she wants. I just don't understand the logic behind it. Synchronet is a great BBS program and "Synchronet Discussion" is a great place for folks thinking about running it. Not just SysOPs. There's already too many SysOp to SysOP boards in my opinion. ;-)

And nowadays, most BBS users *are* (or at least *were*) sysops, so the "sysops only" restriction doesn't make as much sense as it once did.
    --
    digital man

Rush quote #49:
    Some will sell their dreams for small desires or lose the race to rats
    Norco, CA WX: 87.4°F, 12.0% humidity, 1 mph S wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to HusTler on Wednesday, December 01, 2021 20:08:15
    By: HusTler to echicken on Wed Dec 01 2021 13:16:54

Thanks for the clarification. I asked the SysOP about it and he offered to give me access if I was a visiting SysOP. I wasn't interested in being

Yeah - sorry, I didn't realize that you were posting from someone else's BBS at the time. Evidently that sysop misunderstands the sub's purpose.

part of a SysOp only Synchronet Discussion sub. I felt it should be open to anyone. But that's just me I guess.

Since the sub is networked, that's kind of a moot. A non-sysop can post from another BBS and it will show up on his board.

He may have had reasons for locking it down, or it may be a mistake. I'd send him a link to the wiki page that shows the access requirements. If he doesn't want to fix it ... move on, I guess.

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to HusTler on Thursday, December 02, 2021 00:19:34
    By: HusTler to MRO on Wed Dec 01 2021 01:29 pm

because h confused it with the synchronet sysop echo. ---

you could always just create a qwk account on vert and use an offline reader and upload packets.

or connect to it with a newsreader
    ---