• Signature Suggestion

From Dream Master@VERT/CIAD to All on Sunday, January 17, 2021 23:32:54
    Various FTN and QWK-based message groups have differing "name" requirements. For example, FidoNet requires "real name" while DOVE-NET has no requirement. What would the possibility be to add a multi-signature option that allows message area based signatures. For example, on DOVE-NET, have an "alias" signature. On FidoNet, have an "real name" signature.

Thoughts?

Dream Master

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Caught in a Dream - Coming Soon!
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Dream Master on Monday, January 18, 2021 02:09:23
    Re: Signature Suggestion
    By: Dream Master to All on Sun Jan 17 2021 11:32 pm

Various FTN and QWK-based message groups have differing "name" requirements. For example, FidoNet requires "real name" while DOVE-NET has no requirement.

In FidoNet, it's a per area policy. The Synchronet-related echoes on FidoNet, for example, have no real name requirement.

What would the possibility be to add a multi-signature option that allows message area based signatures. For example, on DOVE-NET, have an "alias" signature. On FidoNet, have an "real name" signature.

Thoughts?

I just use my regular signature on FidoNet, or for some echoes, none (you can turn off sigs per echo). But signing with an alias signature when the header has your real name is no violiation of any policy.
    --
    digital man

Sling Blade quote #6:
    Karl: he should've had a chance to grow up. He would had fun some time.
    Norco, CA WX: 61.3°F, 26.0% humidity, 1 mph S wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Ragnarok@VERT/DOCKSUD to Dream Master on Monday, January 18, 2021 06:56:42
    El 18/1/21 a las 03:32, Dream Master escribi¢:
    Various FTN and QWK-based message groups have differing "name" requirements. For example, FidoNet requires "real name" while DOVE-NET has no requirement. What would the possibility be to add a multi-signature option that allows message area based signatures. For example, on DOVE-NET, have an "alias" signature. On FidoNet, have an "real name" signature.

I think that the signature must be managed inside by the editor, just
    like atual mail readers and not put after send the message.

I guess that this behavior can not be compatible with old editors.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Dock Sud BBS TLD 24 HS - bbs.docksud.com.ar
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Dream Master on Monday, January 18, 2021 08:15:05

Thoughts?

My editor SlyEdit has the option to auto-sign messages, and when enabled, it will use either your handle or real name, depending on the network settings configured in SCFG. But I think it would be useful for Synchronet itself to have a multi-signature option as well.

Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Ragnarok on Monday, January 18, 2021 08:16:13
    Re: Re: Signature Suggestion
    By: Ragnarok to Dream Master on Mon Jan 18 2021 06:56 am

I think that the signature must be managed inside by the editor, just like atual mail readers and not put after send the message.

I guess that this behavior can not be compatible with old editors.

Why do you say that? Synchronet can append a signature to your message, and it doesn't matter what editor you use.

Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Dream Master on Monday, January 18, 2021 17:01:00
    Dream Master wrote to All <=-

I usually work around this by including a signature block with both names. I then need to delete the unneeded line and post. Like this.

kurt weiske | kweiske at realitycheckbbs dot org
    poindexter fortran | pfortran at realitycheckbbs dot org
    | http://realitycheckbbs.org
    | 1:218/700@fidonet

I do need to remember whether it's a real name or handle network, though.

... Destroy nothing; Destroy the most important thing
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
    ■ Synchronet ■ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Digital Man on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 01:48:42
    By: Digital Man to Dream Master on Mon Jan 18 2021 02:09 am

Various FTN and QWK-based message groups have differing "name"
    requirements. For example, FidoNet requires "real name" while DOVE-NET
    has no requirement.

In FidoNet, it's a per area policy. The Synchronet-related echoes on FidoNet, for example, have no real name requirement.

also it can be just a 'real sounding' name.
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::