• Honda Grom (125cc minimoto) Motorcycle

From Digital Man@VERT to All on Monday, February 26, 2024 17:46:44
    So... I bought one of these recently (a 2022 model with < 1Kmi and ABS) and having a blast re-experiencing my youth. I've already put over 100 miles on it.
    https://imgur.com/a/ryPIivv

My first very-own motorcycle, when I was about 13 years old, was a used Honda XR75 (1974). I rode the hell out of that bike, occasionally on city streets, often at night with no lights and no helmet (no, my parent did not know). She wasn't fast or good looking, but I loved her. I don't remember when I sold her, but after that, I owned an MX bike (RM250), some buggies and quads, but really nothing for 15+ years after breaking my collar bone after highsiding while doing donuts on my Suzuki Z400.

Rather than buy another XR, I opted for the Grom, which is more of a street bike (though there are street-legal XRs). It's been a blast riding (mostly alone and usually just on residental/empty streets) and reliving my youth. I bought new safety gear and have been doing some cosmetic mods on the bike.

Anyone else own a Grom or other motorcycle you ride often?

When I see a dangerous motorcyclist or accident, I always think: "What an idiot" and really judge them for riding a motorcycle on streets in the first place. So I definitely have no danger/death wish, but the experience just can't be beat, I don't think. I have a greater understanding why people continue to make that risk/choice.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Sling Blade quote #3:
    Karl (re: killing Doyle): That second one just plum near cut his head in two. Norco, CA WX: 56.7°F, 85.0% humidity, 4 mph WSW wind, 0.01 inches rain/24hrs ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Phigan@VERT/TACOPRON to Digital Man on Tuesday, February 27, 2024 04:10:03
    Re: Honda Grom (125cc minimoto) Motorcycle
    By: Digital Man to All on Mon Feb 26 2024 05:46 pm

place. So I definitely have no danger/death wish, but the experience just ca be beat, I don't think. I have a greater understanding why people continue t

I've never owned a fast motorcycle or anything, but I do have a Vespa-style electric scooter that has taken me around a few places. Totally agree about the experience. I would've liked to have a bigger/more serious bike, but like you said above.. and I worry it'd be another thing taking up all the space in the garage :). Probably shouldn't these days, anyway. Congrats on that Honda! It looks really nice.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ TIRED of waiting 2 hours for a taco? GO TO TACOPRONTO.bbs.io
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Digital Man on Tuesday, February 27, 2024 09:15:18

When I see a dangerous motorcyclist or accident, I always think: "What an idiot" and really judge them for riding a motorcycle on streets in the first place. So I definitely have no danger/death wish, but the experience just can't be beat, I don't think. I have a greater understanding why people continue to make that risk/choice.

i've broken my arm on a bike when i was a kid and I know experienced people who have really got messed up because of other drivers.

make sure you drive in a safe place and wear some type of protection. don't skimp on hand protection, too.

i come from a family of experience motorcyclists and I would not own a motorcycle, especially considering everyone is on their phone now while driving.
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Digital Man on Tuesday, February 27, 2024 09:17:16

I feel bad for those who get hurt like that in motorcycle accidents. There have been times when I thought it would be nice to have a road cruiser motorcycle (these days, perhaps a Honda Shadow), but I feel like they're too dangerous, so I'm not planning on buying one.

Rather than buy another XR, I opted for the Grom, which is more of a street bike (though there are street-legal XRs). It's been a blast riding (mostly alone and usually just on residental/empty streets) and reliving

When you said "judge them for riding a motorcycle on streets" earlier, did you mean more busy streets/highways?

Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Digital Man@VERT to MRO on Tuesday, February 27, 2024 13:28:35
    By: MRO to Digital Man on Tue Feb 27 2024 09:15 am

i've broken my arm on a bike when i was a kid and I know experienced people who have really got messed up because of other drivers.

I've had some good crashes off-road, but nothing on-road (yet). Knock on wood.

make sure you drive in a safe place and wear some type of protection. don't skimp on hand protection, too.

Yup, I bought all new gear. The new modular helment with built in bluetooth and sun visor is really nice. I see they have airbag clothing now too. That looks interesting.

i come from a family of experience motorcyclists and I would not own a motorcycle, especially considering everyone is on their phone now while driving.

I don't plan to drive around vehicles much. I assume if something really bad's going to happen, that it's likely going to involve a vehicle. So yeah, well aware. I plan to take the safety courses and get licensed so I have the option of driving on streets (e.g. to get gas), but mostly I'm just puttering around residental streets.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #31:
    FOSSIL = Fido/Opus/SEAdog Standard Interface Layer
    Norco, CA WX: 63.1°F, 68.0% humidity, 5 mph WNW wind, 0.06 inches rain/24hrs ---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Nightfox on Tuesday, February 27, 2024 13:30:50
    By: Nightfox to Digital Man on Tue Feb 27 2024 09:17 am

Rather than buy another XR, I opted for the Grom, which is more of a street bike (though there are street-legal XRs). It's been a blast riding (mostly alone and usually just on residental/empty streets) and reliving

When you said "judge them for riding a motorcycle on streets" earlier, did you mean more busy streets/highways?

Yeah, like a freeway. Or those fast sport bikes on twisty roads, that looks insanely dangerous.
    --
    digital man (rob)

This Is Spinal Tap quote #14:
    The Boston gig has been cancelled. [Don't] worry, it's not a big college town. Norco, CA WX: 63.1°F, 68.0% humidity, 5 mph WNW wind, 0.06 inches rain/24hrs ---
  • From deon@VERT/ALTERANT to Digital Man on Wednesday, February 28, 2024 09:49:12

Howdy,

Anyone else own a Grom or other motorcycle you ride often?

For me, not any more :(

I used to own a Suzuki GSXR 600 - and I loved riding that bike.

When I owned it, there were no tolls on highways (because toll cameras took a photo at the front, and bikes didnt have a front number plate), and in Melbourne you could park *anywhere*, as long as you didnt disrupt vehicles or pedestrians. So I used to ride to work and park on the footpath (sidewalk) - no parking charges :)

Getting to work via a car was a 60 min drive (for 17klm), but on the bike it was 20ish. Lane splitting/filtering made all the difference.

In the 6 years that I had that bike, I only had 1 car driver, who to this day dont know why he was upset - but he did try hard to block me lane splitting at lights (sped around me a to block me, horn blaring). Once I figured out what he was doing, I just zoomed off between the traffic.

I used to visit a friend and a customer that was 200klm away, and riding the bike there was awesome. It was too easy to get over 150klm/hr - so I had to watch my speed (speed limit was 110 back then if I recall).

Certainly the onus is on the bike rider for safety - you need to learn to read car drivers, and I had good advice from a couple of courses I did, and it did save me once when I predicted (and it did) that a limo would cross a road when I was doing 100klm/hr. Had I not backed off early, I probably wouldnt have lost the bike that day and more.

...δεσ∩

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ AnsiTEX bringing back videotex but with ANSI
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Tuesday, February 27, 2024 16:31:16

I feel bad for those who get hurt like that in motorcycle accidents. There have been times when I thought it would be nice to have a road cruiser motorcycle (these days, perhaps a Honda Shadow), but I feel like they're too dangerous, so I'm not planning on buying one.

my coworker's brother was an accomplished motorcycle rider but he was taking
    a trip to sturgis with his wife and he got ran off the road.

they don't know how long they were laying on the road before they were found. he died on the operating table. his wife had to have a leg amputated and his mother (who was a great person) died of a broken heart.

"RACINE - Paul Finley loved fishing, riding his Harley, his wife, Cyndi, and his children, but of course not in that order.

"They've only been married about a year," Finley's sister Tammy Segura said. "They were made for each other. They were truly in love."

Paul Finley died about 1:40 a.m. Thursday at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. Hanson Funeral Home, 3014 Northwestern Ave., Racine, will be handling the arrangements.

Finley and Cyndi Knapp-Finley of Racine were seriously injured in a motorcycle accident July 26 near Iowa City, Iowa.

Finley was well-liked and well-loved by his family and friends, Segura said. In addition to being loved by others, he also loved them in return. "He has three children who he loved but he didn't get to see them enough," Segura said.

People are also reading.
    Segura remembers Finley as the big brother, who along with his twin brother, loved fishing so much they didn't want to quit when it got dark.

"I remember them fishing when they were teenagers and my dad had to go looking for them because it was getting dark. Paul said, `I've got to catch this one last fish,' " Segura said.

Finley's love of fishing earned him grand prize honors in the 1993 Salmon-A-Rama fishing contest. He caught a 34.30-pound Chinook salmon.

He also was the big brother who was there for his sister when her son was born.

"When my son was born, my husband was nervous, so Paul kept taking him down to the lunch room and feeding him. He would come back and tell me what Paul had fed him. He kept my husband well-fed while I was in labor," Segura said.

The couple was on their way to a family reunion in Nebraska when the accident happened in a construction zone near Davenport.

A car cut off their motorcycle, said Harry Raboldt, Knapp-Finley's father.

Raboldt said Paul Finley died following surgery. "He had too many things going against him. He was on dialysis and his liver was failing, he just had too many things going against him," Raboldt sighed.

However, Knapp-Finley continues to improve and he hopes she will get out of intensive care in about a week. She hasn't been told about Finley's death because the doctors feel it might set back her recovery, Raboldt said.

Nancy Harmann, the friend who helped set up the benefit fund for the couple, isn't sure what direction the fund will take now.

"I'm just in shock," Harmann said of Finley's death. "I haven't decided what to do about the fund we'll probably do something in Paul's name. But Cyndi is going to need a lot of support," Harmann said.

Harmann and Knapp-Finley's co-workers at Regency Mall established a special savings account for the couple to help defray their medical expenses. The Knapp-Finley Benefit Trust is at the Johnson Bank at 5901 Durand Ave.

Mall manager Curt Pruitt said the families have asked that all expressions of sympathy be sent to Paul Finley's mother: Barb Finley, 1012 William St., Racine, WI 53402."
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Digital Man on Tuesday, February 27, 2024 16:33:48
    By: Digital Man to MRO on Tue Feb 27 2024 01:28 pm

By: MRO to Digital Man on Tue Feb 27 2024 09:15 am

I've had some good crashes off-road, but nothing on-road (yet). Knock on wood.

i was on the road, then i became off road. some people removed some construction baracades and i went into a section where the road was cut off.
    then i went to the bar that was on the corner and ordered 2 strong long island ice teas and had my friend pick me up. i stick napkins on my arm to soak up the blood.

I don't plan to drive around vehicles much. I assume if something really bad's going to happen, that it's likely going to involve a vehicle. So yeah, well aware. I plan to take the safety courses and get licensed so I have the option of driving on streets (e.g. to get gas), but mostly I'm just puttering around residental streets.

around my region it's also dangerous around rural areas. people blow stop signs and plow into motorcycles. it's like they're invisible.
    ---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Tuesday, February 27, 2024 19:45:15
    By: MRO to Nightfox on Tue Feb 27 2024 04:31 pm

my coworker's brother was an accomplished motorcycle rider but he was taking a trip to sturgis with his wife and he got ran off the road.

they don't know how long they were laying on the road before they were found. he died on the operating table. his wife had to have a leg amputated and his mother (who was a great person) died of a broken heart.

That's really sad. :( I'm sorry to hear.

Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Mike Powell@VERT/CAPCITY2 to MRO on Wednesday, February 28, 2024 09:09:00
    i come from a family of experience motorcyclists and I would not own a motorcyc
    e, especially considering everyone is on their phone now while driving.

This is a discouragement, even when bicycling or just walking. :(

* SLMR 2.1a * */ <==-- Tribble with a lightsaber

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Mike Powell@VERT/CAPCITY2 to DIGITAL MAN on Wednesday, February 28, 2024 09:15:00
    Yeah, like a freeway. Or those fast sport bikes on twisty roads, that looks ins
    nely dangerous.

That is apparently a past time on the twisty mountain roads between Santa Clarita and Burbank/Glendale/Pasadena, even on foggy days.

* SLMR 2.1a * Virus detected! P)our chicken soup on motherboard?

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Digital Man on Tuesday, February 27, 2024 06:39:00
    Digital Man wrote to All <=-

My first very-own motorcycle, when I was about 13 years old, was a used Honda XR75 (1974). I rode the hell out of that bike, occasionally on
    city streets, often at night with no lights and no helmet (no, my
    parent did not know). She wasn't fast or good looking, but I loved her.

Back in the late 80s, you could find 250-450cc rat bikes for cheap (or
    free). I picked up a Yamaha Special II 400 that was left in someone's
    back yard under the stairs - the owner had moved out of the group house
    years ago and was nowhere to be seen. Fixing old bikes is a lot of fun
    if you have some basic skills.

I rode that thing around San Francisco for a year before it was stolen;
    I told myself I'd never buy a bike again that a couple of people could
    pick up and put in a truck.

... Adding on
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    ■ Synchronet ■ .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Mike Powell on Wednesday, February 28, 2024 10:07:11
    Re: Honda Grom (125cc minimot
    By: Mike Powell to MRO on Wed Feb 28 2024 09:09 am

i come from a family of experience motorcyclists and I would not own a motorcyc
    e, especially considering everyone is on their phone now while driving.

This is a discouragement, even when bicycling or just walking. :(

yeah you have to be hyper vigilant.
    ---
  • From Carol Shenkenberger@VERT/SHENKS to Digital Man on Wednesday, February 28, 2024 14:21:00
    Re: Honda Grom (125cc minimot
    By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Tue Feb 27 2024 01:30 pm

Rather than buy another XR, I opted for the Grom, which is more of a street bike (though there are street-legal XRs). It's been a blast riding (mostly alone and usually just on residental/empty streets) a reliving

When you said "judge them for riding a motorcycle on streets" earlier, di you mean more busy streets/highways?

Yeah, like a freeway. Or those fast sport bikes on twisty roads, that looks --
    digital man (rob)

This Is Spinal Tap quote #14:
    The Boston gig has been cancelled. [Don't] worry, it's not a big college tow Norco, CA WX: 63.1°F, 68.0% humidity, 5 mph WNW wind, 0.06 inches rain/24hrs

Should have seen me in Japan! Almost 7 years, I used feet or my beloved cultech workhourse bicycle. Not the racing models they export, this was the heavy duty 15 speed that weighed more than me! Frame warenteed for 40 years outside storage. I sold it to the Newport News shipyard for 2,000$. It was 20 years old. Sadly my spine problems got too bad to ride.

xxcarol

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ SHENK'S EXPRESS, Virginia Beach, VA, shenks.synchro.net
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Wednesday, February 28, 2024 18:47:52
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Tue Feb 27 2024 07:45 pm

That's really sad. :( I'm sorry to hear.

yeah his mom was a great person and also a coworker of mine. it killed her. ---