• knives

From JIMMY ANDERSON@VERT/OTHETA to ARELOR on Friday, April 02, 2021 11:47:00
    ARELOR wrote to JIMMY ANDERSON <=-

ATROXI wrote to JIMMY ANDERSON <=-

My wife 'collects' pens. :-) She has different pens for journaling, bible study, work, note taking, etc.

That's interesting. I'm trying to resist the urge of buying more pens than I need at the moment. For now, I have four. I hope that stays that
    way. Haha!

I've started 'collecting' pocket knives. :-) Don't know why I've gotten
    into them of late, but very cool! My dad gave me commemeratives over the years, and some of them were cool, some not so much, but now I'm really
    gett
    ing into them, so I
    know more how my wife feels. LOL

Welcome to the knife club.

Thanks! Glad to be here! :-)

Actually, I am more of a fixed-blade fan. Pocket knives are cool but
    the ones that are really dependable are actually too expensive for that they offer. And besides, I can strap a bowie knife on me anyway so portability is not exactly a problem :-)

I'm actually kinda surprised that I'm not more of a fixed blade fan...
    I guess it comes from being able to put it in my pocket and no one
    knows it is there but me...

Plus, working in a school, I couldn't very well strap a knife to my
    side. :-)

... At the prompt, remove disk, spit on it, then retry.
    --- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
    ■ wcQWK 8.0 ≈ Omicron Theta * Memphis, TN * winserver.org
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to JIMMY ANDERSON on Saturday, April 03, 2021 04:42:45
    Re: knives
    By: JIMMY ANDERSON to ARELOR on Fri Apr 02 2021 11:47 am

I've started 'collecting' pocket knives. :-) Don't know why I've gotten into them of late, but very cool! My dad gave me commemeratives over the years, and some of them were cool, some not so much, but now I'm really
    gett
    ing into them, so I
    know more how my wife feels. LOL

Welcome to the knife club.

Thanks! Glad to be here! :-)

Actually, I am more of a fixed-blade fan. Pocket knives are cool but the ones that are really dependable are actually too expensive for that they offer. And besides, I can strap a bowie knife on me anyway so portability is not exactly a problem :-)

I'm actually kinda surprised that I'm not more of a fixed blade fan...
    I guess it comes from being able to put it in my pocket and no one
    knows it is there but me...

You would be surprised at the sort of thing you can strap on you without nobody being the wiser.

I got started with folders too, and I have a bunch of them. My issue is they don't really make good ones that are affordable. That would be one-hand-openers with a safe lock mechanism and good integrity, and no bullshit design.

If you have not noticed, fixed vs folder is a lot like vim vs emacs in the knife world.

--
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From JIMMY ANDERSON@VERT/OTHETA to ARELOR on Saturday, April 03, 2021 06:57:00

You would be surprised at the sort of thing you can strap on you
    without nobody being the wiser.

LOL

I got started with folders too, and I have a bunch of them. My issue is they don't really make good ones that are affordable. That would be one-hand-openers with a safe lock mechanism and good integrity, and no bullshit design.

I've been buying from Smokey Mountain Knife Works. I'm really liking the
    Rough Ryder brand!

I'm not looking for one hand openers. I'm buying more traditional two and
    three blade and changing up what I'm carrying every few days. :-)

If you have not noticed, fixed vs folder is a lot like vim vs emacs in
    the knife world.

I work IT, but that goes over my head! LOL

... The government solution to a problem is usually as bad as the problem.
    --- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to JIMMY ANDERSON on Saturday, April 03, 2021 09:16:30
    Re: Re: knives
    By: JIMMY ANDERSON to ARELOR on Sat Apr 03 2021 06:57 am

I've been buying from Smokey Mountain Knife Works. I'm really liking the Rough Ryder brand!

I'm not looking for one hand openers. I'm buying more traditional two and three blade and changing up what I'm carrying every few days. :-)

I will have to look at those brands, to see what they offer.

I have a couple of Leatherman multitools, and some Victorinox SAKs. I like the Victorinox Equestrian one. It comes with a hoof pick for cleaning horse hooves, which is always handy. That said, I am very partial to knives you can operate with just one hand.

One of my horses managed to entangle herself with a rope to the point she nearly suffocated on that thing. Being able to hold her still with one hand while I opened the knife with the other had no price. Still the half a second it took me to deploy the blade must have been the most stressful instant in my life (believe me, it beat being cornered by a weirdo in a public bathroom). And the lock of the thing failed on me and I slashed my hand.

The knife cost 3 eur (literally) and the mare is still with me, so not complaining here. But fixed blade for the win XD

--

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Arelor on Saturday, April 03, 2021 13:18:11
    By: Arelor to JIMMY ANDERSON on Sat Apr 03 2021 09:16 am

while I opened the knife with the other had no price. Still the half a second it took me to deploy the blade must have been the most stressful instant in my life (believe me, it beat being cornered by a weirdo in a public bathroom). And the lock of the thing failed on me and I slashed my hand.

The knife cost 3 eur (literally) and the mare is still with me, so not complaining here. But fixed blade for the win XD

get a ka-bar knife. i still have one i got when i was 15yrs old
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to MRO on Saturday, April 03, 2021 18:05:06
    By: MRO to Arelor on Sat Apr 03 2021 01:18 pm

By: Arelor to JIMMY ANDERSON on Sat Apr 03 2021 09:16 am

while I opened the knife with the other had no price. Still the half a second it took me to deploy the blade must have been the most stressful instant in my life (believe me, it beat being cornered by a weirdo in a public bathroom). And the lock of the thing failed on me and I slashed my hand.

get a ka-bar knife. i still have one i got when i was 15yrs old

Thanks for the advice. I have one already. I count it as one of my best.

The sheath that came with it, though, was one of these tacticool pieces of fancy junk. I had to make one myself. It makes me sad when you get an awesome knife and a crappy sheath with it.

I mean, it must suck when you are about to Kill A BeAR and the sheath gets on your way :-P

--

---
  • From JIMMY ANDERSON@VERT/OTHETA to ARELOR on Saturday, April 03, 2021 06:11:00

I've been buying from Smokey Mountain Knife Works. I'm really liking the Rough Ryder brand!

I'm not looking for one hand openers. I'm buying more traditional two and three blade and changing up what I'm carrying every few days. :-)

I will have to look at those brands, to see what they offer.

smkw.com - I'm in Tennessee, but the other end of the state. I want to
    check out their retail space when I'm back that way though!

I have a couple of Leatherman multitools, and some Victorinox SAKs. I
    like the Victorinox Equestrian one. It comes with a hoof pick for
    cleaning horse hooves, which is always handy. That said, I am very
    partial to knives you can operate with just one hand.

One of my horses managed to entangle herself with a rope to the point
    she nearly suffocated on that thing. Being able to hold her still with
    one hand while I opened the knife with the other had no price. Still
    the half a second it took me to deploy the blade must have been the
    most stressful instant in my life (believe me, it beat being cornered
    by a weirdo in a public bathroom). And the lock of the thing failed on
    me and I slashed my hand.

Oh wow! Yeah, that makes a difference for sure!!!

... Warning! Tagline thieves abound. See next message area for details!
    --- MultiMail/Mac v0.52