• Florescent Bulbs

From Lupine Furmen@VERT/FURFOL to Nightfox on Sunday, April 05, 2020 14:38:20
    Re: Re: Quarantine projects
    By: Nightfox to JIMMY ANDERSON on Sat Apr 04 2020 22:08:53

I recently had to replace a couple lightbulbs in a ceiling fan unit in our house. I thought about buying a couple of Compact Fluorescent bulbs, but it seems those are hard to find now in favor of the LED bulbs. I've heard the LED bulbs are more energy-efficient, so I can see why compact fluorescent bulbs might be being phased out. The LED bulbs I bought are white/daylight bulbs, and they seem a little brighter than the old bulbs that were in the unit, but I like the white lite. It seems like a more pure light, with the older bulbs being more yellow. The LED bulbs say they're supposed to last 10 years, which is another bonus. I doubt we'll even be in this house for 10 more years, as we've been looking to get into a better house for us.

Not to mention that with LED you don't have the constant high pitch buzzing that you do with the fluorescent.
    -+-

Lupine Furmen
    -Dallas Vinson
    Furmens Folly (FIDO 1:123/257) - telnet: furmenservices.net:23
    SSH: furmenservices.net:23222
    Before the Web - telnet: furmenservices.net:23232
    Legends of Yesteryear (FIDO 1:123/256) - telnet: furmenservices.net:23322
    Sound Source ]|[ - telnet: furmenservices.net:2323

Dallas

... Modesty is a vastly overrated virtue.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Furmen's Folly - furmenservices.net:23
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Lupine Furmen on Sunday, April 05, 2020 14:22:13
    Re: Florescent Bulbs
    By: Lupine Furmen to Nightfox on Sun Apr 05 2020 02:38 pm

Not to mention that with LED you don't have the constant high pitch buzzing that you do with the fluorescent.

I've never noticed high pitched buzzing with fluorescent bulbs at home, especially the compact fluorescent bulbs that fit in a regular light socket.. There are some rooms in my house that use a tube fluorescent bulb (the kitchen and one of the closets), but even there I don't notice a high pitch buzzing noise.

Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Lupine Furmen@VERT/FURFOL to Nightfox on Monday, April 06, 2020 00:42:12
    Re: Florescent Bulbs
    By: Nightfox to Lupine Furmen on Sun Apr 05 2020 14:22:13

Not to mention that with LED you don't have the constant high pitch
    buzzing that you do with the fluorescent.
    I've never noticed high pitched buzzing with fluorescent bulbs at home, especially the compact fluorescent bulbs that fit in a regular light socket.. There are some rooms in my house that use a tube fluorescent bulb (the kitchen and one of the closets), but even there I don't notice a high pitch buzzing noise.

My hearing my just be a bit more sensative. I used to not be able to walk into a Sears because there was always this high frequence buzzing that would hurt my ears.
    -+-

Lupine Furmen
    -Dallas Vinson
    Furmens Folly (FIDO 1:123/257) - telnet: furmenservices.net:23
    SSH: furmenservices.net:23222
    Before the Web - telnet: furmenservices.net:23232
    Legends of Yesteryear (FIDO 1:123/256) - telnet: furmenservices.net:23322
    Sound Source ]|[ - telnet: furmenservices.net:2323

Dallas

... It takes a long time to understand nothing.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Furmen's Folly - furmenservices.net:23
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Lupine Furmen on Monday, April 06, 2020 07:58:00
    Lupine Furmen wrote to Nightfox <=-

My hearing my just be a bit more sensative. I used to not be able to
    walk into a Sears because there was always this high frequence buzzing that would hurt my ears.

Just like tinnitus, except I can't leave the Sears. :|

... Consider different fading systems
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
    ■ Synchronet ■ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Mike Powell@VERT/CAPCITY2 to NIGHTFOX on Tuesday, April 07, 2020 14:13:00
    I've never noticed high pitched buzzing with fluorescent bulbs at home, especia
    ly the compact fluorescent bulbs that fit in a regular light socket.. There ar
    some rooms in my house that use a tube fluorescent bulb (the kitchen and one o
    the closets), but even there I don't notice a high pitch buzzing noise.

I notice it, when the TV is not on and/or the fridge is not running. They drown out a lot.

* SLMR 2.1a * "Tryin' is the first step towards failure." - Homer

---
    * Synchronet * CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Daryl Stout@VERT/TBOLT to POINDEXTER FORTRAN on Tuesday, April 14, 2020 23:40:00

Most all the Sears stores are gone now.

Daryl

---
    ■ OLX 1.53 ■ Ham Radio Messages And Replies Will Be Sent In Morse Code
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Thunderbolt BBS - tbolt.synchro.net
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Daryl Stout on Wednesday, April 15, 2020 08:00:00
    Daryl Stout wrote to POINDEXTER FORTRAN <=-

I hadn't shopped in a Sears in years, but do miss the auto stores - great service and prices on tires and batteries.

... Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
    ■ Synchronet ■ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to poindexter FORTRAN on Wednesday, April 15, 2020 18:22:00
    poindexter FORTRAN wrote to Daryl Stout <=-

I hadn't shopped in a Sears in years, but do miss the auto stores
    - great service and prices on tires and batteries.

Same here. Had many an oil change done there, and several sets of
    tires and batteries over the years. Once long ago I even bought
    one of those X-Cargo "bubbles" that attached to the top of the car
    for carrying extra stuff on a family vacation... :-)

... At the end of the day, it gets dark.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    ■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Mike Powell@VERT/CAPCITY2 to POINDEXTER FORTRAN on Thursday, April 16, 2020 17:37:00
    I hadn't shopped in a Sears in years, but do miss the auto stores - great service and prices on tires and batteries.

+1. The KMarts around here, even before they were owned by Sears, were similar (if they had auto stores).

* SLMR 2.1a * Back Up My Hard Drive? I Can't Find The Reverse Switch!

---
    * Synchronet * CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Mike Powell on Thursday, April 16, 2020 19:59:48
    Re: Re: Florescent Bulbs
    By: Mike Powell to POINDEXTER FORTRAN on Thu Apr 16 2020 05:37 pm

+1. The KMarts around here, even before they were owned by Sears, were similar (if they had auto stores).

that's one strength sears had. they really should have focused on their automotive.
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Daryl Stout@VERT/TBOLT to POINDEXTER FORTRAN on Thursday, April 16, 2020 09:04:00

I hadn't shopped in a Sears in years, but do miss the auto stores - great PF>service and prices on tires and batteries.

Their slogan was "Satisfaction Guaranteed, or Your Money Back".
    Admittedly, their catalog "The Wish Book" was a competitor to the one
    put out by Spiegel. Now, all of that is gone.

Daryl

---
    ■ OLX 1.53 ■ Hindsight is 20/20 - but I don't have eyes in my butt.
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Thunderbolt BBS - tbolt.synchro.net