• Carry Pistols

From Limawhiskey@VERT/FRUGALBB to All on Monday, December 05, 2022 17:35:12
    Those of you that carry, what do you carry or prefer? I find my G19 Gen5 is comfortable, however, somtimes I will carry a 1911 platform with 8rd mags and one round chambered. Only issue I have is finding a good holster for the G19. I still debate putting a light on it though.

What is your carry of choice fellow DOVE Net users?

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Frugal Computing BBS - frugalbbs.com
  • From DaiTengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE to Limawhiskey on Monday, December 05, 2022 18:25:29
    Re: Carry Pistols
    By: Limawhiskey to All on Mon Dec 05 2022 05:35 pm

Those of you that carry, what do you carry or prefer? I find my G19 Gen5 is comfortable, however, somtimes I will carry a 1911 platform with 8rd mags and one round chambered. Only issue I have is finding a good holster for the G19. I still debate putting a light on it though.

I have an H&K VP9. I'll be honest, it's a bit heavy to carry, but with the giant meathooks I call hands, I fumble around with anything smaller.

I had an alien holster for the VP9, but the thing fell apart on me.

It's honestly been a few years since I've actually carried, mostly because I don't go anywhere.

DaiTengu

...Today's extravagance becomes tomorrow's necessity.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com
  • From Mickey@VERT/BADPOET to Limawhiskey on Monday, December 05, 2022 20:12:37

Up here in Canada, you can get life for carrying a photo of a handgun. So much more errrr... civilized down there.

Mickey

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Bad Poetry Blues - centralontarioremote.com:2300
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to Limawhiskey on Tuesday, December 06, 2022 13:21:28

Those of you that carry, what do you carry or prefer? I find my G19 G is comfortable, however, somtimes I will carry a 1911 platform with 8rd mags and one round chambered. Only issue I have is finding a good holster for th G19. I still debate putting a light on it though.

---

If it was legal here or I were willing to break the law and admit it on a public forum, I would go with a Llama .38 revolver. I am tired of semi-autos because I see so many get stuck in the shooting range.

This brings the question: how is people carrying single action semis these days? Do they holster it with a chambered round and the safety on?

BTW I think a bowie knife is also a great carry if you are big enough to pack it. A regular person spends more time cutting and chopping things than shooting at stuff anyway. If it was legal here or I were willing to break the law and admit it on a public forum, I'd carry a Ka-Bar Heavy Bowie in a custom sheath (because the one it comes with is lame).

--
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Limawhiskey@VERT/CHOICE to Arelor on Wednesday, December 07, 2022 10:44:11
    By: Arelor to Limawhiskey on Tue Dec 06 2022 01:21 pm

In regards to single action semi autos, (such as my 1911) I carry one in the chamber, hammer back and on safe. Now, it is not an old 1911 so it also features a firing pin block as well. Some people are not comfortable with that, however, the gun will not go off unless I do the following

1. Release the manual saftey
    2. Activate the grip saftey
    3. Pull the trigger

Personaly in my experience and time as a cavalry scout in the US Army, it takes way to long to rack a slide when you need to draw and use/point that pistol quickly. Opinons and mileage for the same may vary...

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ 1st choice Core - 1stchoicecore.co.nz
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to Limawhiskey on Wednesday, December 07, 2022 13:51:25
    By: Limawhiskey to Arelor on Wed Dec 07 2022 10:44 am

In regards to single action semi autos, (such as my 1911) I carry on
    will not go off unless I do the following

1. Release the manual saftey
    2. Activate the grip saftey
    3. Pull the trigger

That sounds safer than my .38. It has no safety. It has one of those firing-pin blockers designed to prevent it from going off if something hits the hammer accidentally, and that is it. Maybe the manufacturer thought making the trigger hard as heck counted as a safety measure.

But hey, the guy that sold it to me warned me that it was only good for putting cattle reustlers on their knees and executing them point blank, because it is too junky for anything else. I guess I can't complain XD

--

---
  • From Weatherman@VERT/TLCBBS to Limawhiskey on Wednesday, December 07, 2022 13:46:00

---

Kinda depends. I prefer a full-sized platform, my SW model 645 is my preferred. Same basic size as the 1911, but with DA/SA action, ambidextrous safety and a decocker when safety is engaged.

Problem is, I'm a fairly big guy and while the 645 works well for me when I'm getting in and out of my Tahoe, if I'm driving my Grand Prix or Fusion, ingress and egress is a bit tighter, so I need to go with a smaller platform. On those days, I go with the Taurus PT-145, .45 ACP like the 645, but with a 10 round mag, so I carry only one spare rather than the two with the SW.

And if I need more concealment than the PT-145 Pro offers, there's always the J-frame .38 or even a compact .380 LCP.

Backup is LCP in a pocket holster....

Regards,
    -==*>Weatherman<*==-

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Lost Chord BBS - Cheyenne, WY
  • From IB Joe@VERT/JOESBBS to Limawhiskey on Wednesday, December 07, 2022 19:00:00
    On 05 Dec 2022, Limawhiskey said the following...

@VIA: FRUGALBB
    @MSGID: <638E7220.919.dove-firearms@frugalbbs.com>
    @TZ: 412c
    Those of you that carry, what do you carry or prefer? I find my
    G19 Gen5 is comfortable, however, somtimes I will carry a 1911 platform with 8rd mags and one round chambered. Only issue I have is finding a good holster for the G19. I still debate putting a light on it though.

---

I use DA/SA hammer fire handguns for carry. I see that you use, at times, a 1911. The only reason I wouldn't carry a 1911 is that it's a single action trigger. You'd either have to carry it fully cocked or cock it before you need to use it.

I will be getting a Beretta PX4 Storm. It comes in 3 sizes, full, compact and sub-compact. You can have one in the chamber and use the de-cocker to relax the hammer back on to the pistol. De-cocking the gun will make it less likely that you don't shoot your own cock while you carry it around.

I've heard all the arguments about how striker fire guns are safe when they are holstered ... I just can't bring myself to carrying anything other than what I described above.

IB Joe
    AKA Joe Schweier
    SysOp of Joe's BBS
    -=JoesBBS.com=-

... Honk if you love peace and quiet!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/11 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: JoesBBS.Com, Telnet:23 SSH:22 HTTP:80
  • From somedude@VERT/ABINARY to Limawhiskey on Thursday, December 08, 2022 01:06:00
    A Smith & Wesson model 10 with either 2" or 4" barrel in an appendix holster. Whichever barrel length fits better for the day's plan gets the nod. As for the holster, I baked the kydex myself.

While totally different than a single-action automatic, I lopped both hammer spurs off so they are double-action-only.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/07 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Archaic Binary
  • From Limawhiksey@VERT/TIABBS to Arelor on Wednesday, December 07, 2022 20:44:08
    By: Arelor to Limawhiskey on Wed Dec 07 2022 01:51 pm

Arelor,

Those double action revolver triggers, (particularly on snubs) can be stiff as the devil himself. I will say, something that goes bang is better than nothing. There are a lot of different loads in .38 and many can be handloaded with a kit that is less than $90. (It may be cheaper, my memory is lacking.)

Take a look at some defensive loads in .38. It is a very adaptable caliber for what it is. I shoot it some in my Single Action Army revolver in .38 / .357. Hopefully, you never need it and it just weighs down the belt and sits on the bedstand.

- Your American Friend, Limawhiskey

---
    ■ Synchronet
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to Limawhiksey on Sunday, December 11, 2022 13:32:03
    By: Limawhiksey to Arelor on Wed Dec 07 2022 08:44 pm

Arelor,

Those double action revolver triggers, (particularly on snubs) can b less than $90. (It may be cheaper, my memory is lacking.)

Take a look at some defensive loads in .38. It is a very adaptable c

---
    ■ Synchronet

About half of the ammo I have around are paper cutters for target shooting because that is what stores around have. They are nice for the range because they don't kick that much, but I'd rather have something else if the Nazi Communists Martians come down one day and try to invade my house. I also have some regular ammo - aka. security guard ammo - and that is it.

Handloading here is kind of restricted. You need to take a certification from the local Target Shooting gov-sanctioned club, but I dislike those guys enough that I' d rather tear a tooth off rather than pay them a penny if I don't have to. I am sure I could get a reloading kit anyway but I spend so little ammo I can't be bothered.

--

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Arelor on Monday, December 12, 2022 13:35:00
    By: Arelor to Limawhiskey on Tue Dec 06 2022 01:21 pm

Those of you that carry, what do you carry or prefer? I find my G1 is comfortable, however, somtimes I will carry a 1911 platform with 8rd m and one round chambered. Only issue I have is finding a good holster for G19. I still debate putting a light on it though.

---

If it was legal here or I were willing to break the law and admit it on a public forum, I would go with a Llama .38 revolver. I am tired of semi-autos because I see so many get stuck in the shooting range.

This brings the question: how is people carrying single action semis these days? Do they holster it with a chambered round and the safety on?

BTW I think a bowie knife is also a great carry if you are big enough to pac it. A regular person spends more time cutting and chopping things than shoot at stuff anyway. If it was legal here or I were willing to break the law and admit it on a public forum, I'd carry a Ka-Bar Heavy Bowie in a custom sheat (because the one it comes with is lame).

--

Most modern firearms can be carried cocked and loaded. With pistols like the Glock and M&P, they have the two piece trigger that acts like a safety until
    it is properly pulled. When seconds count, cycling a slide will take too long .

Regardless of double action or single action, a hammer can be pulled back as the pistol is removed from the holster. Same applies with the safety.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Arelor on Monday, December 12, 2022 13:53:00
    By: Arelor to Limawhiksey on Sun Dec 11 2022 01:32 pm

By: Limawhiksey to Arelor on Wed Dec 07 2022 08:44 pm

Arelor,

Those double action revolver triggers, (particularly on snubs) ca less than $90. (It may be cheaper, my memory is lacking.)

Take a look at some defensive loads in .38. It is a very adaptabl

---
    ■ Synchronet

About half of the ammo I have around are paper cutters for target shooting because that is what stores around have. They are nice for the range because they don't kick that much, but I'd rather have something else if the Nazi Communists Martians come down one day and try to invade my house. I also hav some regular ammo - aka. security guard ammo - and that is it.

Handloading here is kind of restricted. You need to take a certification fro the local Target Shooting gov-sanctioned club, but I dislike those guys enou that I' d rather tear a tooth off rather than pay them a penny if I don't ha to. I am sure I could get a reloading kit anyway but I spend so little ammo can't be bothered.

--

Handloading is hobby that feeds another hobby, and doesn't save much money. You spend the same money, but you soot more with it. I run a couple single stage presses, but if I got into shooting competitively, I would have to inves t in a progressive press to keep up with empty brass to loaded ammo ratio. I am what you call a rainy day reloader. If it is too cold or wet outside,
    I'll be down in my basement sizing and trimming brass or loading cases.

I only recommend reloading for those who are willing to make the time, since
    it is a hobby in itself.

---
  • From Ragnar0k@VERT/THEEAGLE to Limawhiskey on Sunday, December 18, 2022 18:35:05
    By: Limawhiskey to All on Mon Dec 05 2022 17:35:12

I carry a Berreta PX4 Storm .40 in a shoulder holster when it's cold and on my kidney when it's warm. I also carry a Springfield XDS 9mm on my ankle.

I like to be prepared.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ■ Synchronet BBS ■ The Eagle's Nest 89 ■ ten.eaglesnest89.net
  • From Nuke@VERT/NUKE to Limawhiskey on Friday, December 30, 2022 16:36:18
    By: Limawhiskey to All on Mon Dec 05 2022 17:35:12

Those of you that carry, what do you carry or prefer? I find my G19 G is comfortable, however, somtimes I will carry a 1911 platform with 8rd mags and one round chambered. Only issue I have is finding a good holster for th G19. I still debate putting a light on it though.

I love my Kimber Ultra Carry II. Just fits like a glove. Close runner and my goto alternative is Sig Sauer P938.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ WestwoodBBS.net
  • From Jimmy Anderson@VERT/FINALZON to Limawhiskey on Thursday, January 05, 2023 13:22:00
    Limawhiskey wrote to All <=-

G19 Gen5 is comfortable, however, somtimes I will carry a 1911 platform with 8rd mags and one round chambered. Only issue I have is finding a good holster for the G19. I still debate putting a light on it though.

.40 Shield first gen

wife carries a P365 XL w/Romeo Zero. Shoots GREAT, but is just a TOUCH
    small for my hand... Love the flat trigger though, and the red dot!

If I ever invest in a replacement will likely be a Shield Plus. I do
    like sticking with .40, but much more 9mm (or .30SC) sounds good too...

... Warning! Tagline thieves abound. See next message area for details!
    --- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
    ■ Synchronet ■ Final Zone BBS - final-zone.net - finalzone.ddns.net
  • From Jimmy Anderson@VERT/FINALZON to Arelor on Thursday, January 05, 2023 13:24:00
    Arelor wrote to Limawhiskey <=-

If it was legal here or I were willing to break the law and admit it on
    a public forum, I would go with a Llama .38 revolver. I am tired of semi-autos because I see so many get stuck in the shooting range.

Is it the airplane or the pilot? :-)

This brings the question: how is people carrying single action semis
    these days? Do they holster it with a chambered round and the safety
    on?

Mine is not a SA, but is a striker fired. It has NO manual safety, but
    there is a trigger safety. I carry it chambered and 'hot.'

BTW I think a bowie knife is also a great carry if you are big enough
    to pack it. A regular person spends more time cutting and chopping
    things than shooting at stuff anyway. If it was legal here or I were willing to break the law and admit it on a public forum, I'd carry a Ka-Bar Heavy Bowie in a custom sheath (because the one it comes with is lame).

My backup is a tactical pen. I can carry it where a gun is not legal, and
    it makes for a great 'poker!'

... And on the 8th day God said, "Murphy, you're in charge."
    --- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
  • From Jimmy Anderson@VERT/FINALZON to Arelor on Thursday, January 05, 2023 13:25:00
    Arelor wrote to Limawhiskey <=-

That sounds safer than my .38. It has no safety. It has one of those firing-pin blockers designed to prevent it from going off if something hits the hammer accidentally, and that is it. Maybe the manufacturer thought making the trigger hard as heck counted as a safety measure.

Like the police safety on the Glocks? :-)

... This tagline is identical to the one you are reading.
    --- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
  • From Jimmy Anderson@VERT/FINALZON to Moondog on Thursday, January 05, 2023 13:28:00
    Moondog wrote to Arelor <=-

Handloading is hobby that feeds another hobby, and doesn't save much money. You spend the same money, but you soot more with it. I run a couple single stage presses, but if I got into shooting competitively,
    I would have to inves t in a progressive press to keep up with empty
    brass to loaded ammo ratio. I am what you call a rainy day reloader.
    If it is too cold or wet outside, I'll be down in my basement sizing
    and trimming brass or loading cases.

I only recommend reloading for those who are willing to make the time, since it is a hobby in itself.

I have thought about it before, but I have hobbies already that take
    time, that I'd rather be doing. :-)

My youngest son has talked about it, and if it was something we could
    do TOGETHER? That's another story!

... Famous Last Words: Oops.
    --- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to Jimmy Anderson on Friday, January 06, 2023 16:23:02
    Re: Re: Carry Pistols
    By: Jimmy Anderson to Arelor on Thu Jan 05 2023 01:24 pm

The old Astra semi-autos in my regular shooting range, which they have for lending to
    new shooters, certainly count as defective crap. There were a couple of them I have
    never seen discharge a whole magazine without getting jammed.

--

---
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to Jimmy Anderson on Friday, January 06, 2023 16:28:59

BTW I think a bowie knife is also a great carry if you are big enough to pack it. A regular person spends more time cutting and chopping things than shooting at stuff anyway. If it was legal here or I were willing to break the law and admit it on a public forum, I'd carry a Ka-Bar Heavy Bowie in a custom sheath (because the one it comes with is lame).

I am not a fan of so called tactical pens. For one thing, they don't cut. Knives don't
    write, but if you need to write something you are more likely to find a pen lying
    around than a good knife. ie. if I am at home and need to pick a pen for taking a
    note, I will find one in a drawer. If I am in the horseyard and one of the horses gets
    entangled with a rope, I won't have a knife unless I pack one myself.

There is also the fact that no LEO is getting fooled by a tactical pen. It is gonna be
    classified as a weapon. If you are going to carry something that will be classified as
    a weapon with the intention of using it as a weapon, you may as well pack the real
    deal.

--

---
  • From Jimmy Anderson@VERT/FINALZON to Arelor on Saturday, January 07, 2023 21:56:00
    Arelor wrote to Jimmy Anderson <=-

The old Astra semi-autos in my regular shooting range, which they have
    for lending to new shooters, certainly count as defective crap. There
    were a couple of them I have never seen discharge a whole magazine
    without getting jammed.

Ah - so a GOOD QUALITY semi-auto would be fine then?

... Capt'n! The spellchecker kinna take this abuse!
    --- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
  • From Jimmy Anderson@VERT/FINALZON to Arelor on Saturday, January 07, 2023 21:59:00

I am not a fan of so called tactical pens. For one thing, they don't
    cut. Knives don't write, but if you need to write something you are
    more likely to find a pen lying around than a good knife. ie. if I am
    at home and need to pick a pen for taking a note, I will find one in a drawer. If I am in the horseyard and one of the horses gets entangled
    with a rope, I won't have a knife unless I pack one myself.

I carry a pocketknife also, but even that is not allowed some places.

There is also the fact that no LEO is getting fooled by a tactical pen.
    It is gonna be classified as a weapon. If you are going to carry
    something that will be classified as a weapon with the intention of
    using it as a weapon, you may as well pack the real deal.

Not worrieda about LEO when it comes to a posted area like a movie
    theater, bank, school, etc.

And I'm not trying to 'fool' any body with it. It's my backup in the
    event someone tries to wrestle with my gun hand, preventing a draw.
    The pen is in my shirt pocket and I can grab it with either hand, but
    it's also 'better than nothing' if I can't carry my gun...

... Every crowd has a silver lining - Phineas Taylor Barnum
    --- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Jimmy Anderson on Sunday, January 08, 2023 14:45:00
    By: Jimmy Anderson to Arelor on Sat Jan 07 2023 09:59 pm

My backup is a tactical pen. I can carry it where a gun is not legal, and it makes for a great 'poker!'

I am not a fan of so called tactical pens. For one thing, they don't cut. Knives don't write, but if you need to write something you are more likely to find a pen lying around than a good knife. ie. if I am at home and need to pick a pen for taking a note, I will find one in a drawer. If I am in the horseyard and one of the horses gets entangled with a rope, I won't have a knife unless I pack one myself.

There is also the fact that no LEO is getting fooled by a tactical pen. It is gonna be classified as a weapon. If you are going to carry something that will be classified as a weapon with the intention of using it as a weapon, you may as well pack the real deal.

Situational awareness is you greatest tool. Refuse to be a victim by
    avoiding becoming a victim. If someone is watching you as if something is goi ng to happen, the chances are you casually pause and look around and see if someone else is looking suspicious. If you can walk on the opposite side of
    an obstacle and not forced to be in close proximity with a person is quick and
    easy. Look out for peple in parking lots, or if there were several open parking spots, but a van parked along side you. Then van situation is
    normally advised to women because an attacker can be waiting in the van, thne open the side door and grab the victim as they are trying to unlock their
    car. I knew a state policeman who gave that advice to everyone, because abduction by van was common when he was doing VIP protection working as an MP while deployed in Germany in the Army.

---
  • From Weatherman@VERT/TLCBBS to Jimmy Anderson on Sunday, January 08, 2023 07:43:52

My backup is a tactical pen. I can carry it where a gun is not legal, and it makes for a great 'poker!'

I am not a fan of so called tactical pens. For one thing, they don't cut. Knives don't write, but if you need to write something you are more likely to find a pen lying around than a good knife. ie. if I am at home and need to pick a pen for taking a note, I will find one in a drawer. If I am in the horseyard and one of the horses gets entangled with a rope, I won't have a knife unless I pack one myself.

There is also the fact that no LEO is getting fooled by a tactical pen. It is gonna be classified as a weapon. If you are going to carry something that will be classified as a weapon with the intention of using it as a weapon, you may as well pack the real deal.

For that reason I always keep my pocket knife (which is a one hand open design) in my support hand pocket and I use the clip on the side so I don't have to dig deep. My primary backup is in the strong hand pocket, a .380 with 11 rounds loaded is a pretty decent backup, I think.

Regards,
    -==*>Weatherman<*==-

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Lost Chord BBS - Cheyenne, WY
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to Jimmy Anderson on Sunday, January 08, 2023 16:23:51
    By: Jimmy Anderson to Arelor on Sat Jan 07 2023 09:56 pm

The old Astra semi-autos in my regular shooting range, which they have for lending to new shooters, certainly count as defective crap. There were a couple of them I have never seen discharge a whole magazine without getting jammed.

Ah - so a GOOD QUALITY semi-auto would be fine then?

Yes, it would be fine, but I got thrauma from those Astras so I'd rather stay with the Llama.

--

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Weatherman on Monday, January 09, 2023 22:08:00
    By: Weatherman to Jimmy Anderson on Sun Jan 08 2023 07:43 am

My backup is a tactical pen. I can carry it where a gun is not legal, it makes for a great 'poker!'

I am not a fan of so called tactical pens. For one thing, they don't cut. Knives don't write, but if you need to write something you are more likely to find a pen lying around than a good knife. ie. if I a at home and need to pick a pen for taking a note, I will find one in drawer. If I am in the horseyard and one of the horses gets entangle with a rope, I won't have a knife unless I pack one myself.

There is also the fact that no LEO is getting fooled by a tactical p It is gonna be classified as a weapon. If you are going to carry something that will be classified as a weapon with the intention of using it as a weapon, you may as well pack the real deal.

Not worrieda about LEO when it comes to a posted area like a movie theater, bank, school, etc.

And I'm not trying to 'fool' any body with it. It's my backup in the event someone tries to wrestle with my gun hand, preventing a draw.
    The pen is in my shirt pocket and I can grab it with either hand, but it's also 'better than nothing' if I can't carry my gun...

For that reason I always keep my pocket knife (which is a one hand open desi in my support hand pocket and I use the clip on the side so I don't have to deep. My primary backup is in the strong hand pocket, a .380 with 11 rounds loaded is a pretty decent backup, I think.

Regards,
    -==*>Weatherman<*==-

Tactical pens and other pokey devices have value. A tactical pen or letter opener can pierce a lung or an artery in a neck. Your choice of attack
    points need to be critical in order for the other guy to rethink what he does next.

---
  • From Jimmy Anderson@VERT/FINALZON to Moondog on Thursday, January 12, 2023 19:30:00
    Moondog wrote to Weatherman <=-

Tactical pens and other pokey devices have value. A tactical pen or letter opener can pierce a lung or an artery in a neck. Your choice of attack points need to be critical in order for the other guy to rethink what he does next.

Agreed! And in a situation where you only have a pointy thing and there's
    an active shooter or something... If you can't hide, go for the eyes!

... Taglines void where prohibited.
    --- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
  • From JIMMY ANDERSON@VERT/OTHETA to MOONDOG on Tuesday, January 10, 2023 13:37:00
    MOONDOG wrote to JIMMY ANDERSON <=-

Situational awareness is you greatest tool. Refuse to be a victim by avoiding becoming a victim. If someone is watching you as if something

Agreed! 100%!

The rest of your stuff is worth repeating too!

is goi ng to happen, the chances are you casually pause and look around and see if someone else is looking suspicious. If you can walk on the opposite side of an obstacle and not forced to be in close proximity
    with a person is quick and
    easy. Look out for peple in parking lots, or if there were several
    open parking spots, but a van parked along side you. Then van
    situation is normally advised to women because an attacker can be
    waiting in the van, thne open the side door and grab the victim as they are trying to unlock their car. I knew a state policeman who gave that advice to everyone, because abduction by van was common when he was
    doing VIP protection working as an MP while deployed in Germany in the Army.

... U.S. Mint workers on strike-they want to make less money.
    --- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
    ■ wcQWK 8.0 ≈ Omicron Theta *Cordova, TN * winserver.org
  • From JIMMY ANDERSON@VERT/OTHETA to WEATHERMAN on Tuesday, January 10, 2023 13:38:00
    WEATHERMAN wrote to JIMMY ANDERSON <=-

For that reason I always keep my pocket knife (which is a one hand open design) in my support hand pocket and I use the clip on the side so I don't have to dig deep. My primary backup is in the strong hand
    pocket, a .380 with 11 rounds loaded is a pretty decent backup, I
    think.

Yep! Great ideas!

My wife has an LCP II in .380 that is a great little backup! I've
    thought of getting a MAX...

... If everything seems to go right, check your zipper.
    --- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
    ■ wcQWK 8.0 ≈ Omicron Theta *Cordova, TN * winserver.org
  • From Ted Long@VERT to Nuke on Monday, January 30, 2023 12:34:30
    By: Nuke to Limawhiskey on Fri Dec 30 2022 04:36 pm

I wouldn't trade my Glock 20 for a truckload of beer. .45 AGP gets the job done.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From DaiTengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE to Ted Long on Tuesday, January 31, 2023 17:08:15
    By: Ted Long to Nuke on Mon Jan 30 2023 12:34 pm

I wouldn't trade my Glock 20 for a truckload of beer. .45 AGP gets the job done.

I wouldn't give you a single bottle of beer, much less a whole truckload for a Glock 20. Or any Glock for that matter.

DaiTengu

...He who laughs, lasts.

---
  • From Cougar428@VERT to DAITENGU on Wednesday, February 01, 2023 11:55:00
    Quoting Daitengu to Ted Long <=-

Isn't the Glock 20 chanbered in 10mm? I thought the Glock 21 was
    chambered in .45 ACP...

I wouldn't give you a single bottle of beer, much less a whole
    truckload for a Glock 20. Or any Glock for that matter.
    DaiTengu

Not a Glock fan, I get it. I don't own one, but see alot of reviews
    that they are a decent weapon. Just wondering, have you had bad
    experiences with them?

Thanks,

Cougar

... Childish Game: One at which your spouse beats you.

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

---
  • From DaiTengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE to Cougar428 on Wednesday, February 01, 2023 14:04:33
    By: Cougar428 to DAITENGU on Wed Feb 01 2023 11:55 am

I wouldn't give you a single bottle of beer, much less a whole
    truckload for a Glock 20. Or any Glock for that matter.
    that they are a decent weapon. Just wondering, have you had bad experiences with them?

The consensus is that you either love a Glock, or hate it. There is no middle ground.

I've fired a few. I don't care for them. The ones I've used felt like I was going to break them just by holding it.

DaiTengu

...Help stamp out and abolish redundancy.

---
  • From Cougar428@VERT to DAITENGU on Thursday, February 02, 2023 09:36:00
    Quoting Daitengu to Cougar428 <=-

The consensus is that you either love a Glock, or hate it. There is
    no middle ground.

Wow, makes me want to give it a go to see what I think.

I'm going to have to see if one of my friends owns one that I can
    try at the range.

I'm not a gun expert, just a small caliber plinker. I have fired a
    few 45's and 9mils but don't own one (yet).

I mostly shoot .22lr as the ammo wont eat my wallet. My kid got a
    Beretta M9 .22 clone and a Mauser M1911 .22 clone. He left them
    with me to try, but I haven't had a chance to give them a try yet.

Cougar

... > Close your eyes and press escape three times. <

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Cougar428 on Thursday, February 02, 2023 11:59:00
    By: Cougar428 to DAITENGU on Wed Feb 01 2023 11:55 am

Quoting Daitengu to Ted Long <=-

I wouldn't trade my Glock 20 for a truckload of beer. .45 AGP gets the done.

Isn't the Glock 20 chanbered in 10mm? I thought the Glock 21 was
    chambered in .45 ACP...

I wouldn't give you a single bottle of beer, much less a whole truckload for a Glock 20. Or any Glock for that matter.
    DaiTengu

that they are a decent weapon. Just wondering, have you had bad
    experiences with them?

Thanks,

Cougar

... Childish Game: One at which your spouse beats you.

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

I am not a Glock fan. There's nothing wrong with them mechanically. I'm not
    a fan of the grip angle. Most pistols I can draw and through muscle memory assume a sight picture easily. With a Glock if I were to close my eyes,
    point it, then open my eyes, I'd have to do more adjustment with the sights.

At a dealer event I had a chance to sample some higher end pistols with nicer sights and triggers. I tried a $2400 Salient Arms Glock and couldn't shoot
    it much better than plain factory Glock. I tried an STI (Staccato) 2011
    framed pistol and it was a tack driver at 50 yards. I'm really liking the Walther PPQ.

---
  • From Cougar428@VERT to MOONDOG on Saturday, February 04, 2023 07:14:00
    Quoting Moondog to Cougar428 <=-

Snip <=-
    I am not a Glock fan. There's nothing wrong with them mechanically.
    I'm not a fan of the grip angle.

Ah - that I can understand. If it's not comfortable to hold, it
    may not be very accurate in your hands.

At a dealer event I had a chance to sample some higher end pistols
    with nicer sights and triggers. I tried a $2400 Salient Arms Glock
    and couldn't shoot it much better than plain factory Glock. I tried an STI (Staccato) 2011 framed pistol and it was a tack driver at 50 yards. I'm really liking the Walther PPQ.

Wow - checking out reviews for SAI modified Glocks, alot of people
    like them. They sound kind of extravagant though. STI looks
    interesting as well, looks like people love the grips.

I have not held or fired the PPQ, but have fired other Walther
    weapons and I really like the grip on the one I used.

Cougar

... Kiss my ASCII

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Cougar428 on Sunday, February 05, 2023 12:44:00
    By: Cougar428 to MOONDOG on Sat Feb 04 2023 07:14 am

Snip <=-
    I am not a Glock fan. There's nothing wrong with them mechanically. I'm not a fan of the grip angle.

Ah - that I can understand. If it's not comfortable to hold, it
    may not be very accurate in your hands.

At a dealer event I had a chance to sample some higher end pistols
    with nicer sights and triggers. I tried a $2400 Salient Arms Glock and couldn't shoot it much better than plain factory Glock. I tried an STI (Staccato) 2011 framed pistol and it was a tack driver at 50 yards. I'm really liking the Walther PPQ.

Wow - checking out reviews for SAI modified Glocks, alot of people
    like them. They sound kind of extravagant though. STI looks
    interesting as well, looks like people love the grips.

I have not held or fired the PPQ, but have fired other Walther
    weapons and I really like the grip on the one I used.

Cougar

... Kiss my ASCII

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

One of my range buddies carries a steel framed PPQ with a Trijicon MRO optic.
    His match gun is a steel frame PPQ with a Trijicon SRO. The SRO hasa good field of view, and a small dot, around 2 moa. I've shot red dots that have 5moa . and that's too big for precise shooting. The dot will cover a pie
    plate at 25 yards. That's considered long distance at defensive levels, but i t's a good peace of mind feeling if you can place tight shots at longer distances. If I have to escape and evade multiple attackers in a parking
    lot, I want the ability to place shots at 50 yards or more

---
  • From Cougar428@VERT to MOONDOG on Tuesday, February 07, 2023 22:37:00

One of my range buddies carries a steel framed PPQ with a Trijicon MRO optic. His match gun is a steel frame PPQ with a Trijicon SRO. The
    SRO hasa good field of view, and a small dot, around 2 moa. I've shot
    red dots that have 5moa . and that's too big for precise shooting. The dot will cover a pie plate at 25 yards. That's considered long
    distance at defensive levels, but i t's a good peace of mind feeling if you can place tight shots at longer distances. If I have to escape and evade multiple attackers in a parking lot, I want the ability to place shots at 50 yards or more

You are out of my knowledge area. I have never used an SRO, so I
    don't know much about them, looking the Trijicon up on the interwebs
    showed me they cost more than any pistol I have. I guess if you're
    in a situation where you need the accuracy, sounds like the way to
    go.

I get it, it's all about having the capability if you need it. It's
    better to have it and not need it than the other way around.

Peace!

Cougar

... I tried an internal modem, but it hurt when I walked.

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Cougar428 on Wednesday, February 08, 2023 15:14:00
    By: Cougar428 to MOONDOG on Tue Feb 07 2023 10:37 pm

One of my range buddies carries a steel framed PPQ with a Trijicon MRO optic. His match gun is a steel frame PPQ with a Trijicon SRO. The
    SRO hasa good field of view, and a small dot, around 2 moa. I've shot red dots that have 5moa . and that's too big for precise shooting. The dot will cover a pie plate at 25 yards. That's considered long distance at defensive levels, but i t's a good peace of mind feeling if you can place tight shots at longer distances. If I have to escape and evade multiple attackers in a parking lot, I want the ability to place shots at 50 yards or more

You are out of my knowledge area. I have never used an SRO, so I
    don't know much about them, looking the Trijicon up on the interwebs
    showed me they cost more than any pistol I have. I guess if you're
    in a situation where you need the accuracy, sounds like the way to
    go.

Peace!

Cougar

... I tried an internal modem, but it hurt when I walked.

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

For a match gun or even a hunting weapon it is easy to invest as much in the optic as in the firearm. If someone went on a 2 week trip hunting in Alaska oir safari in Africa, the firarm and optic is a minor investment compared to the travel and housing costs. I have a friend that owns an $8000 FLIR thermal
    he sits on a suppressed Ruger 10/22 for shooting raccoons and other critters in his neighborhood in complete darkness and near silence. The scope has a ge neric mount, so it's not money wasted on just a $300 .22 with a $300
    suppressor

---
  • From Cougar428@VERT to MOONDOG on Thursday, February 09, 2023 08:43:00

For a match gun or even a hunting weapon it is easy to invest as much
    in the optic as in the firearm. If someone went on a 2 week trip
    hunting in Alaska oir safari in Africa, the firarm and optic is a minor investment compared to the travel and housing costs. I have a friend
    that owns an $8000 FLIR thermal he sits on a suppressed Ruger 10/22
    for shooting raccoons and other critters in his neighborhood in
    complete darkness and near silence. The scope has a ge neric mount, so it's not money wasted on just a $300 .22 with a $300 suppressor

I occasionally watch video's of exterminators (rats on farms) who
    use pellet rifles on the job. These guys use pellet rifles that
    cost more than all my 22's put together and the scopes and night
    optics they use are incredible.

Looking some of the equipment up, they are in the thousands. These
    people are phenominally on target with this equipment. Either that
    or they just cut out all the misses (which I'm sure is the case).

I'd love to have something that accurate on my 22, or pellet rifle.

I sadly find the video's entertaining...

Cougar

... New Mail not found. Start whine-pout sequence?

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Cougar428 on Thursday, February 09, 2023 12:23:00
    By: Cougar428 to MOONDOG on Thu Feb 09 2023 08:43 am

I get it, it's all about having the capability if you need it. It's better to have it and not need it than the other way around.

For a match gun or even a hunting weapon it is easy to invest as much in the optic as in the firearm. If someone went on a 2 week trip hunting in Alaska oir safari in Africa, the firarm and optic is a minor investment compared to the travel and housing costs. I have a friend that owns an $8000 FLIR thermal he sits on a suppressed Ruger 10/22
    for shooting raccoons and other critters in his neighborhood in complete darkness and near silence. The scope has a ge neric mount, so it's not money wasted on just a $300 .22 with a $300 suppressor

Looking some of the equipment up, they are in the thousands. These
    people are phenominally on target with this equipment. Either that
    or they just cut out all the misses (which I'm sure is the case).

I'd love to have something that accurate on my 22, or pellet rifle.

I sadly find the video's entertaining...

Cougar

... New Mail not found. Start whine-pout sequence?

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

I've seen some of air rifle videos where the farmers have too many starlings
    or sparrows, and they thin out the herd. The scope cam footage is interestin because they factor in wind drift and the amount of drop at the distance they are shooting. The crosshairs air used for wind value and a range finder is used to determine loss of energy and drop.

I heard of a budget version of precision rifle where they use rimfires rather than centerfire cartridges. Instead of needing a 1000 yardrange, they shoot .22 rimfire at 300 yards. With standard velocity rounds its nearly a rainbow trajectory reaching out to 300 yards. One time I tried to take a shot at awoo dchuck whose hole was 185 yards from the barn. Witht eh ballistics program I was using, I had to factor in several feet of holdover to lob the bullet in.
    I missed by 2 inches, then after that the woodchuck ran for his hole any time to back door on the house was opened. I couldn't safely shoot it with a .223 because of the proximity of the neighbors' house.

---
  • From Cougar428@VERT to MOONDOG on Friday, February 10, 2023 12:24:00

I've seen some of air rifle videos where the farmers have too many starlings or sparrows, and they thin out the herd. The scope cam
    footage is interestin because they factor in wind drift and the amount
    of drop at the distance they are shooting. The crosshairs air used for wind value and a range finder is used to determine loss of energy and drop.

I heard of a budget version of precision rifle where they use rimfires rather than centerfire cartridges. Instead of needing a 1000
    yardrange, they shoot .22 rimfire at 300 yards. With standard velocity rounds its nearly a rainbow trajectory reaching out to 300 yards. One time I tried to take a shot at awoo dchuck whose hole was 185 yards
    from the barn. Witht eh ballistics program I was using, I had to
    factor in several feet of holdover to lob the bullet in. I missed by 2 inches, then after that the woodchuck ran for his hole any time to back door on the house was opened. I couldn't safely shoot it with a .223 because of the proximity of the neighbors' house.

In some of the pest videos like the one below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM9SFp_muT4&t=444s

I can't tell from the optics about windage and such, but these are
    pretty close range shots and it looks like (from the footage) that
    the person shooting is pretty accurate.

Cougar

... Press ESC to enter or ENTER to escape...

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to COUGAR428 on Friday, February 10, 2023 16:40:00

Some of the pellet rifles are quite expensive, especially the PCP ones.
    Some of them have enough power for small game and vermin, so I guess you
    save money on the ammo in the long run.

* SLMR 2.1a * LSD: Virtual Reality without all the fancy hardware

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Cougar428 on Friday, February 10, 2023 20:19:00
    By: Cougar428 to MOONDOG on Fri Feb 10 2023 12:24 pm

I've seen some of air rifle videos where the farmers have too many starlings or sparrows, and they thin out the herd. The scope cam footage is interestin because they factor in wind drift and the amount of drop at the distance they are shooting. The crosshairs air used for wind value and a range finder is used to determine loss of energy and drop.

I heard of a budget version of precision rifle where they use rimfires rather than centerfire cartridges. Instead of needing a 1000 yardrange, they shoot .22 rimfire at 300 yards. With standard velocity rounds its nearly a rainbow trajectory reaching out to 300 yards. One time I tried to take a shot at awoo dchuck whose hole was 185 yards from the barn. Witht eh ballistics program I was using, I had to factor in several feet of holdover to lob the bullet in. I missed by 2 inches, then after that the woodchuck ran for his hole any time to back door on the house was opened. I couldn't safely shoot it with a .223 because of the proximity of the neighbors' house.

In some of the pest videos like the one below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM9SFp_muT4&t=444s

I can't tell from the optics about windage and such, but these are
    pretty close range shots and it looks like (from the footage) that
    the person shooting is pretty accurate.

Cougar

... Press ESC to enter or ENTER to escape...

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

The shooters use external signs, such as flags to detect wind travel and speed . Range finding is done with known reference points and range finders. They calculate the drop and adjust for hold over. On the videos I watched the crosshair was hardly on the target. Instead, the crosshair would be2 or 3
    mil dots high and a few to the left. You would see the pellet fly down the trajectory path to the target.

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Dumas Walker on Saturday, February 11, 2023 15:31:00
    By: Dumas Walker to COUGAR428 on Fri Feb 10 2023 04:40 pm

Some of the pellet rifles are quite expensive, especially the PCP ones.
    Some of them have enough power for small game and vermin, so I guess you save money on the ammo in the long run.

* SLMR 2.1a * LSD: Virtual Reality without all the fancy hardware

They make models that deliver the same velocity of a .22 (1200fps) and you
    can get versions with built-in suppressors (they are not regulated like firearms.) The advantage or disadvantage is you have a reduced effective range. It's a plus if you're shooting rodents or pest birds in pole barn or
    in an area where a .22 would create more damage if you miss or the projectile over penetrates.

There are pnuematics chambered for .357 and .50 caliber that can take a deer sized animal with a clean kill. I have an old hunting buddy that got messed
    up with dealing drugs after high school, and he lost his right to own a firearm.
    He's cleaned up since then, and he hunts turkey and deer with a big bore air rifle.

---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to MOONDOG on Sunday, February 12, 2023 10:05:00
    There are pnuematics chambered for .357 and .50 caliber that can take a deer sized animal with a clean kill. I have an old hunting buddy that got messed up with dealing drugs after high school, and he lost his right to own a firear
    He's cleaned up since then, and he hunts turkey and deer with a big bore air rifle.

Yeah, I have seen those. Some of the big bore ones don't even look like traditional rifles, while others are pretty nice looking with wooden
    stocks. The highest chambered one I have is a .25 break-barrel with a gas piston. I use mine for target shooting but a couple of them could take
    small game and nusance birds.

I didn't think about people who cannot own a traditional firearm but they
    are good alternatives there, too, if you like to hunt.

* SLMR 2.1a * if it has tires or tits, you're gonna have problems

---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Dumas Walker on Sunday, February 12, 2023 14:41:40
    By: Dumas Walker to MOONDOG on Sun Feb 12 2023 10:05 am

I didn't think about people who cannot own a traditional firearm but they are good alternatives there, too, if you like to hunt.

I can just see some town in the south where hillbillies who can't drive because of DUIs and can't own firearms because of criminal convictions go around on mopeds with pellet guns.

(A while ago on one of the nets, someone was explaining the joke about seeing mopeds locked up in front of a dive bar - apparently people who got too many DUIs and had their licenses yanked started driving mopeds, which didn't need a drivers license to operate...)

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Dumas Walker on Monday, February 13, 2023 09:20:00

There are pnuematics chambered for .357 and .50 caliber that can take a de sized animal with a clean kill. I have an old hunting buddy that got mess up with dealing drugs after high school, and he lost his right to own a fi He's cleaned up since then, and he hunts turkey and deer with a big bore a rifle.

Yeah, I have seen those. Some of the big bore ones don't even look like traditional rifles, while others are pretty nice looking with wooden
    stocks. The highest chambered one I have is a .25 break-barrel with a gas piston. I use mine for target shooting but a couple of them could take small game and nusance birds.

I didn't think about people who cannot own a traditional firearm but they are good alternatives there, too, if you like to hunt.

* SLMR 2.1a * if it has tires or tits, you're gonna have problems

With the big bores, you can spend over a thousand dollars easily. If you
    live in a densely populated yet rural area, it may be an alternative if you ha ve physical restrictions that prevent you from operating a bow or resetting a crossbow. Areas where there is thick brush and limited fields of view versus bean fields with several hundred yard shots are also good places for a big bor e air rifle.

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to poindexter FORTRAN on Monday, February 13, 2023 09:32:00
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Dumas Walker on Sun Feb 12 2023 02:41 pm

I didn't think about people who cannot own a traditional firearm but the are good alternatives there, too, if you like to hunt.

I can just see some town in the south where hillbillies who can't drive beca

(A while ago on one of the nets, someone was explaining the joke about seein perate...)

A bar I used to frequent when I was younger had a bike rack in front. It was in the town I used to go to school in, and I recognized several of the clients
    with driving restrictions. Some bars have the same old folks every
    day, and the same stories over and over. I think that is one o the reasons
    why I don't go to the bars as much any more. I couldn't imagine spending so much of my life drinking that it beomes my life.

---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to POINDEXTER FORTRAN on Monday, February 13, 2023 16:46:00
    I can just see some town in the south where hillbillies who can't drive
    ecaus
    of DUIs and can't own firearms because of criminal convictions go around on
    o
    ds with pellet guns.

LOL

(A while ago on one of the nets, someone was explaining the joke about seeing peds locked up in front of a dive bar - apparently people who got too many
    UI
    and had their licenses yanked started driving mopeds, which didn't need a
    riv
    s license to operate...)

I wonder if that is true everywhere. I thought that you needed a license
    for a moped here, but not needing one would explain a few things. :)

* SLMR 2.1a * Buttblotting Fluid - The blue stuff on diaper commercials

---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Moondog on Tuesday, February 14, 2023 06:54:00
    Moondog wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

with driving restrictions. Some bars have the same old folks every
    day, and the same stories over and over. I think that is one o the reasons why I don't go to the bars as much any more. I couldn't
    imagine spending so much of my life drinking that it beomes my life.

I suppose it depends on how you approach it. In England, the pub is the
    social center of small towns, and people typically have dinner then go
    to the pub for a drink, and to meet friends. They're not open all that
    late, and people generally aren't drinking to excess. For older people,
    it's a great social outlet.

I'd love to be able to go out and have a drink with my friends a couple
    of nights a week and spend an hour or so talking over a drink in person
    instead of chatting with them on facetwitchatbook.

... Is the tuning appropriate?
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Dumas Walker on Tuesday, February 14, 2023 06:55:00
    Dumas Walker wrote to POINDEXTER FORTRAN <=-

I wonder if that is true everywhere. I thought that you needed a
    license for a moped here, but not needing one would explain a few
    things. :)

In California, you need to license the moped, but as long as it's under
    50cc in displacement and doesn't go over 30 mpg, it's a bicycle
    according to the law.

--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Dumas Walker on Tuesday, February 14, 2023 10:58:00
    By: Dumas Walker to POINDEXTER FORTRAN on Mon Feb 13 2023 04:46 pm

I can just see some town in the south where hillbillies who can't drive
    ecaus
    of DUIs and can't own firearms because of criminal convictions go around o
    o
    ds with pellet guns.

LOL

(A while ago on one of the nets, someone was explaining the joke about see peds locked up in front of a dive bar - apparently people who got too many
    UI
    and had their licenses yanked started driving mopeds, which didn't need a
    riv
    s license to operate...)

I wonder if that is true everywhere. I thought that you needed a license for a moped here, but not needing one would explain a few things. :)

* SLMR 2.1a * Buttblotting Fluid - The blue stuff on diaper commercials

I thought mopeds under 49cc were considered toys or hobby bikes. If you want to drive on highways or express roads, motors of 120cc or more required, and are treated as motorcycles. E-bikes and electric vehicles had restrictions based on HP or wattage equivalents.

---
  • From Cougar428@VERT to POINDEXTER FORTRAN on Tuesday, February 14, 2023 13:35:00
    Quoting Poindexter Fortran to Dumas Walker <=-

I can just see some town in the south where hillbillies who can't
    drive because of DUIs and can't own firearms because of criminal convictions go around on mopeds with pellet guns.
    (A while ago on one of the nets, someone was explaining the joke about seeing mopeds locked up in front of a dive bar - apparently people who
    got too many DUIs and had their licenses yanked started driving
    mopeds, which didn't need a drivers license to operate...)

It's a funny thought, but...

Not sure where you don't have to have a license to operate a moped
    on the roads. I brought one back from Europe and had to get it
    licensed for use in PA. I also had to have a drivers license and
    insurance. Maybe in other states this isn't the case...

I stopped riding it as people didn't seem to see it on the road. I
    stopped at a 4 way, and a car didn't. I jumped off but he ran the
    little Honda over. You also don't have to wear a helmet in PA, but
    I always did.

Cougar

... I cna ytpe 300 wrods pre mniuet!

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

---
  • From Cougar428@VERT to POINDEXTER FORTRAN on Tuesday, February 14, 2023 13:42:00
    Quoting Poindexter Fortran to Dumas Walker <=-

Dumas Walker wrote to POINDEXTER FORTRAN <=-

I wonder if that is true everywhere. I thought that you needed a
    license for a moped here, but not needing one would explain a few
    things. :)

In California, you need to license the moped, but as long as it's
    under 50cc in displacement and doesn't go over 30 mpg, it's a bicycle according to the law.

I was wondering about state laws, in PA it has to be licensed. I
    had to license my Honda 50 for use on the road and also have
    insurance. No helmet needed though (but I always wore it).

Cougar

... Surly to bed, and surly to rise.

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to poindexter FORTRAN on Tuesday, February 14, 2023 18:26:00
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Moondog on Tue Feb 14 2023 06:54 am

Moondog wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

with driving restrictions. Some bars have the same old folks every day, and the same stories over and over. I think that is one o the reasons why I don't go to the bars as much any more. I couldn't imagine spending so much of my life drinking that it beomes my life.

I suppose it depends on how you approach it. In England, the pub is the social center of small towns, and people typically have dinner then go
    to the pub for a drink, and to meet friends. They're not open all that
    late, and people generally aren't drinking to excess. For older people,
    it's a great social outlet.

I'd love to be able to go out and have a drink with my friends a couple
    of nights a week and spend an hour or so talking over a drink in person instead of chatting with them on facetwitchatbook.

There is the social aspect, but what I'm referring to are the bar fixtures
    that head to the bar after work, drink awhile, then home to dinner and go
    to bed. For those folk the only social aspect is public drinking. I used to stop by the bar and drink with co-workers, but it wasn't long before it got boaring and life felt like it centered around work and drinking. I joined other social clubs that weren't about sitting in a clubhouse and drinking.

---