• Hi everyone

From The Godfather@411:411/44 to All on Saturday, June 20, 2020 22:09:05
    Hey there!

New here, look forward to being a part of the network. If this is seen,
    senda quick hello back. Testing functionality but also introducing myself.

I'm Doug, AKA The Godfather. I run www.theunderground.us:10023. Have been in BBS'ing since 1983, started on a C64 with a SCSI adapter and two SFD drives, running C-Net. In 89 moved to WWIV and ran a modified version for 10+ years. Now back up and running on Mystic, and loving how BBS's have evolved, hence
    my reason for joining CombatNet.

Look forward to getting to know each of you.

-tG

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: The Underground [@] www.theunderground.us:10023 (411:411/44)
  • From Rastus@411:411/1 to The Godfather on Sunday, June 21, 2020 00:28:18
    Re: Hi everyone
    By: The Godfather to All on Sat Jun 20 2020 10:09 pm

Hey there!

New here, look forward to being a part of the network. If this is seen, senda quick hello back. Testing functionality but also introducing myself.

I'm Doug, AKA The Godfather. I run www.theunderground.us:10023. Have been in BBS'ing since 1983, started on a C64 with a SCSI adapter and two SFD drives, running C-Net. In 89 moved to WWIV and ran a modified version for 10+ years. Now back up and running on Mystic, and loving how BBS's have evolved, hence my reason for joining CombatNet.

Hello Godfather and welcome to Combatnet.

Wow, BBSing with C64! I do remember those days. One line at time @ 300 baud. BBSing has evolved, but there is some magic left in the old text based terminal.

Mystic is a very nice and feature rich BBS Package.

Again, Welcome to CombatNet!!

... This is a tagline. Treat it with care and it wll be your friend.
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: Electronic Warfare BBS | bbs.ewbbs.net | CBNET HQ (411:411/1)
  • From Bucko@411:411/32 to Rastus on Sunday, June 21, 2020 07:59:13
    On 21 Jun 2020, Rastus said the following...

Hello Godfather and welcome to Combatnet.

Wow, BBSing with C64! I do remember those days. One line at time @ 300 baud. BBSing has evolved, but there is some magic left in the old text based terminal.

Some of us are still doing it.. I am currently one of the programmers of the upcoming update to Image BBS for the 64, I run 3 Image boards All 3
    versions.. It's not 300 baud anymore.. LOL

* Origin: The Wrong Number Family Of BBS' - Wrong Number ][ (411:411/32)
  • From The Godfather@411:411/44 to Rastus on Sunday, June 21, 2020 08:19:22

Yeah, that was no fun. Luckly 1200baud came out not too long after starting
    my first BBS; or maybe a couple years, can't recall. Autodialing was a necessity to call some of my favorite BBS's. Reggae Land was only open on weekends and maybe a couple of days during the week in the evenings. And, it had hundreds if not thousands of users. Teletran 1, The Rats Nest, The Nunnery, Pirates Den, all pirate BBS's back in the day, were also hard to get ahold of. Imagine downloading a game at 300baud (2 hours left ......) We had "pirate parties" and all met like "Stranger Things" in the parents basements, tooting new boxes of floppies; the host had a printed 3 ring binder of disk number and description of files on each disk. We traded games. The host got leached. haha .... THOSE were fun days. Albeit, today, someone would have
    to be a bit risky to conduct such activity. They were good memories though.

baud. BBSing has evolved, but there is some magic left in the old text based terminal.

I agree, if advertised as an AD free, No Employer Snooping, Completely Anonymous Social Media platform ... it has hope with nostalgic youngsters.
    If more development is not made to attract the 20 somethings, BBS'ing may die with X'ers. Who knows. But I enjoy it and there are enough that used to,
    that occasionally revisit, that maybe one well configured BBS will re-attract them to the scene as a hobby. I was blown away to see tweeting, rss feed scraping, etc... and BBS states on web pages (who's online, etc...) working together. That was a big step in just 8 or so years (the last time I had probably called one).

tG

* Origin: The Underground [@] www.theunderground.us:10023 (411:411/44)