• Combatnet's Future

From Rastus@411:411/1 to All on Monday, October 14, 2019 11:20:47
    I just want to let everyone know that I'm giving serious thought into whether I wish to continue running this network after the first of the year.

Each year for the past few years I have had similar thoughts and each year I leave it running. But this year is different. It's getting crazy in the real-world. Society is falling apart. People can't even have a conversation online without someone being offended. Add to that, my failing memory and health is making my life more difficult. I've about had it with the internet. It's just not fun anymore.

I'll probably keep it going, mostly for my friends that use this thing. But I am going to prune the nodelist of boards that do not particpate in the games. Also, boards that continually keep having issues with the conferences are going to be removed from them. I am growing tired of reminding absent sysops to fix their mailers.

I will be sending an email to all SysOps soon since not everyone carries these echos and of those that do most don't read them. Hell.. I don't use any of the echo's much anymore due to the lack of civility. I'll hold off for a week or so. I am in very poor mood right now.

Sorry if I'm bitchy... it's been a bad month!
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: Electronic Warfare BBS | bbs.ewbbs.net | CBNET HQ (411:411/1)
  • From Bucko@411:411/32 to Rastus on Monday, October 14, 2019 18:49:09
    On 14 Oct 2019, Rastus said the following...

I will be sending an email to all SysOps soon since not everyone carries these echos and of those that do most don't read them. Hell.. I don't
    use any of the echo's much anymore due to the lack of civility. I'll
    hold off for a week or so. I am in very poor mood right now.

Sorry if I'm bitchy... it's been a bad month!
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux

Not bitchy at all bud... It is what it is, I would have hoped my board would have been a bigger contributor but alas it has not been.. If you take it all down I will miss it, but I do agree with you about civility now.. I posted a picture on Facebook as a joke I got my ass handed to me by the other side of the aisle that I was an idiot etc.. There is always 2 sides to a story except people today don't want to believe that anymore...

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: The Wrong Number Family Of BBS' - Wrong Number ][ (411:411/32)
  • From Rastus@411:411/1 to Bucko on Monday, October 14, 2019 22:06:12
    Re: Re: Combatnet's Future
    By: Bucko to Rastus on Mon Oct 14 2019 06:49 pm

Not bitchy at all bud... It is what it is, I would have hoped my board would have been a bigger contributor but alas it has not been.. If you take it all down I will miss it, but I do agree with you about civility now.. I posted a picture on Facebook as a joke I got my ass handed to me by the other side of the aisle that I was an idiot etc.. There is always 2 sides to a story except people today don't want to believe that anymore...

Any board that wants to stay can. All I ask is that the SysOp play in at least one game. They don't even have to play everyday, just enough to make sure the connection is working. Afterall, that is one of the conditions of membership every node had agreed too when they signed up. I just dislike seeing all the empty player lists. I'm really not sure what I'm going to do with CombatNet. I doubt I'll let it go.. I've just been in a dreadful mood lately.. I should have kept my mouth shut.

And yes, I've lost several friends on Facebook and two combatnet nodes for posting that I supported Trump in the last election. They called me hateful just because I voted for him. HATEFUL?!?! What a load of crap!

btw.. I will be voting for President Trump Again! No hate.. I just think he's the best person for the job. If anyone wants to get pissy and leave because of that.. So be it.. it's their choice..

... Why do all Democrat-run cities often turn into sh*t-stained ghettos?
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Bucko@411:411/32 to Rastus on Tuesday, October 15, 2019 19:14:09
    On 14 Oct 2019, Rastus said the following...

Any board that wants to stay can. All I ask is that the SysOp play in
    at least one game. They don't even have to play everyday, just enough
    to make sure the connection is working. Afterall, that is one of the conditions of membership every node had agreed too when they signed up.
    I just dislike seeing all the empty player lists. I'm really not sure
    what I'm going to do with CombatNet. I doubt I'll let it go.. I've just been in a dreadful mood lately.. I should have kept my mouth shut.

And yes, I've lost several friends on Facebook and two combatnet nodes
    for posting that I supported Trump in the last election. They called me hateful just because I voted for him. HATEFUL?!?! What a load of crap!

btw.. I will be voting for President Trump Again! No hate.. I just
    think he's the best person for the job. If anyone wants to get pissy
    and leave because of that.. So be it.. it's their choice..

well I will stay on, and I will at least try to get involved in the games, I have never really been a game guy but what the hell I will probably get addicted to it..

As for the presidency, I agree with you. I'm the type of person who goes by what my wallet says, in 1982 I took on my first full time job, I went from
    $250 bucks a week to $375 in 6 months. From 1983 till 1989 I went from $275 (left the first job to go to another and start at the bottom) to $465 plus a commission. Reagan was our President, I have always said I never made more
    then when Reagan was President. From 1989 to 2003 I went from $465 to about $575.. Not a big change, from 2003 till 2017 I went from $1200 a week (became
    a manager) to the same $1200 never changed.. From 2017 till now I have gone
    up just about 25% guess who is in office?!?! I will vote the same way I did last time. My wallet is saying feed me and he is feeding it..

Sorry for the drawn out post..

Al

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: The Wrong Number Family Of BBS' - Wrong Number ][ (411:411/32)
  • From Riprod@411:411/27 to Rastus on Tuesday, October 15, 2019 19:27:55
    By: Rastus to Bucko on Mon Oct 14 2019 10:06 pm

membership every node had agreed too when they signed up. I just dislike seeing all the empty player lists. I'm really not sure what I'm going to do with CombatNet. I doubt I'll let it go.. I've just been in a dreadful

Thanks for your work with Combatnet!

One of the major reasons I'm still BBSing is because I enjoy participating in this. It's understandable if it becomes too much, though and I'm sure no one would fault you for wanting to leave it behind if you choose to do so.

btw.. I will be voting for President Trump Again! No hate.. I just think he's the best person for the job. If anyone wants to get pissy and leave because of that.. So be it.. it's their choice..

On the Trump talk, I just have no idea why you'd mention that. It's not relevant at all. Combatnet doesn't need to be politicized. The fact that you'd even bring this up might make reasonable people shy away from the platform simply because it seems like the operator has an agenda. I don't want to sound too harsh because I don't think you're that way, necessarily, but this comment had me scratching my head.

I think it'd be nice if every single thing we tried to enjoy wasn't tainted by politics.
    --- SBBSecho 3.00-Win32
    * Origin: The Basement Theory - Sciotoville, Ohio USA (411:411/27)
  • From Rastus@411:411/1 to Bucko on Tuesday, October 15, 2019 21:51:16
    By: Bucko to Rastus on Tue Oct 15 2019 07:14 pm

well I will stay on, and I will at least try to get involved in the games, I have never really been a game guy but what the hell I will probably get addicted to it..

Great! The more players the better. The turned based games can be a little addicting. I've been playing BRE for a very long time. It takes my mind off of the real world.

As for the presidency, I agree with you. I'm the type of person who goes by what my wallet says, in 1982 I took on my first full time job, I went

But the real world is always there and it's best we don't completely ignor it! <grin>
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Rastus@411:411/1 to Riprod on Tuesday, October 15, 2019 22:59:16
    By: Riprod to Rastus on Tue Oct 15 2019 07:27 pm

One of the major reasons I'm still BBSing is because I enjoy participating in this. It's understandable if it becomes too much, though and I'm sure no one would fault you for wanting to leave it behind if you choose to do so.

I hope everyone stays. I put a lot of work into CombatNet and I would hate to see it fade away. I always evaluate the status of the network in the fall. But if there are players and my personal life doesn't get into the way, it'll continue on. This past weekend I over reacted to some mild criticism. I've been on an emotional roller coaster every since a very close friendship ended poory last month. That's no excuse, but there it is.

On the Trump talk, I just have no idea why you'd mention that. It's not relevant at all. Combatnet doesn't need to be politicized. The fact that you'd even bring this up might make reasonable people shy away from the platform simply because it seems like the operator has an agenda. I don't want to sound too harsh because I don't think you're that way, necessarily, but this comment had me scratching my head.

This is a public forum, and I was addressing Bucko. We were discussing both Combatnet but also of loosing friends on Social Media due to differing political points of view. In these forums semi-private converations get intermingled with public posts. it's been this way in BBSing for as long I can recall.

Besides that, I have a degree in PoliSci and politics is part of my life just as much as is BBSing and nostalic gaming. So no, I have no agenda.. other than having fun.

I think it'd be nice if every single thing we tried to enjoy wasn't tainted by politics.

If you've noticed, I very seldom talk politics on any of the echos, but if I do talk politics now-a-days it's here on General Chat. Anything can be discussed in this conference. In fact I would like to start using the conferences again. But someone always get's offended.. maybe I should take your advice and not talk about political matters... but then again....

I don't know if you've noticed but BRE / FE are very political games. I like the political aspect of the game, it's fun for me. That's why I started playing the Zod characters... but the fun was taken out of that this past weekend when someone complained.

I just started watching Game of Thrones series again. It's VERY political. It's one of my favorite shows. Star Trek, another of my favorites, is very political, many political and social topics explored. There are countless examples in television shows. No, my friend... you can not get away from it..

The important thing is to not be offended by other peoples opinions. I am lucky in that I see value in all sides of an argument. There is good, bad, beauty, and ugliness in almost everything. No need to be upset about it..

I say all this and yet I almost lost it this past weekend and nearly pulled the plug on the network due getting my ego bruised.. no..it's not easy..
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Riprod@411:411/27 to Rastus on Wednesday, October 16, 2019 17:44:38
    By: Rastus to Riprod on Tue Oct 15 2019 10:59 pm

This is a public forum, and I was addressing Bucko. We were discussing both Combatnet but also of loosing friends on Social Media due to differing political points of view. In these forums semi-private

Fair enough! I was missing that context. I think I sometimes skim too fast through these echos.

like the political aspect of the game, it's fun for me. That's why I started playing the Zod characters... but the fun was taken out of that this past weekend when someone complained.

This past season was my first time playing BRE. Had a good time! I couldn't tell if Zod was a built-in character or someone playing the role. Either way, I thought it was nice flavor. Keep it up if you enjoy it :)
    --- SBBSecho 3.00-Win32
    * Origin: The Basement Theory - Sciotoville, Ohio USA (411:411/27)