• DLGDoor

From Frank Linhares@39:905/0 to All on Monday, November 09, 2020 00:10:03
    Is anyone familiar with the DLGDoor wrapper in Zeus?

There isn't any documentation on it and I would like to add editors to Zeus like DLGEmacs.

Thanks.

[%] frank!netsurge // hysteriabbs.com // zeus 1.7 // amiga 4ooo [%]
    . SciNet! . the ftn of the bbs scene . https://scinet-ftn.org .
    --- Zeus BBS 1.5
    * Origin: hysteria bbs - hysteriabbs.com - amiga powered (39:905/0.0)
  • From Al DeRosa@39:902/519 to Frank Linhares on Monday, November 09, 2020 18:27:26
    I think Tim from CIA Amiga BBS runs his chat room with a DLG program.. Check with him..

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: The Wrong Number Family Of BBS' - Wrong Number ][ (39:902/519)
  • From Frank Linhares@39:905/0 to Al DeRosa on Monday, November 09, 2020 21:19:59

I think Tim from CIA Amiga BBS runs his chat room with a DLG program.. Check

I have already tried asking but never heard back.

--- Zeus BBS 1.5
    * Origin: hysteria - amiga 4ooo - hysteriabbs.com (39:905/0.0)
  • From Ray Sbaitso@39:902/522 to Frank Linhares on Sunday, November 15, 2020 17:52:11
    Hiya Frank!

Tim does have a DLG editor running here. I'll bonk him on the head a couple of
    times and get him into the thread here. I don't know anything about the setup
    side of the board or I would offer to give you a hand.

Great to see another Zeus system running. Updates would be fantastic, I know they would be appreciated here as well.

Are you able to have mail notifications for networked forums or just local ones? I swear that the new mail notification at login used to include the networked forums, but for some reason only notices for the local forums seem to
    work now. Everything is masked and unmasking and remasking doesn't seem to fix it.

We run a weekly chat Saturday nights here on the BBS, you should stop by if you
    get a chance. They're at 10pm EST if that time works for you.

Sbaitso

On Monday November 09, 2020, Frank Linhares said to Al DeRosa...

I think Tim from CIA Amiga BBS runs his chat room with a DLG program..
    Check

I have already tried asking but never heard back.

[%] frank!netsurge // hysteriabbs.com // zeus 1.7 // amiga 4ooo [%] . SciNet! . the ftn of the bbs scene . https://scinet-ftn.org .

--- Zeus BBS 1.5
    * Origin: CIA AMIGA BBS - ciaamigabbs.dynu.net:6400 (39:902/522.0)
  • From Frank Linhares@39:905/0 to Ray Sbaitso on Tuesday, November 17, 2020 09:30:59

On Sunday November 15, 2020, Ray Sbaitso said to Frank Linhares...

Are you able to have mail notifications for networked forums or just
    local ones? I swear that the new mail notification at login used to include the networked forums, but for some reason only notices for the local forums seem to
    work now. Everything is masked and unmasking and remasking doesn't
    seem to fix it.

The issues seems to lay in the way zeus's internal message library handles seen-by's. I have done some memory snooping of when the routine kicks in. I
    can get the new message notification to work if the seen-by lines aren't
    over 78 characters long. That's probably why you can get local message notifications to work as they don't contain seen-by lines.

As I feed my Zeus system from my other main mail hub, I am able to turn on reduced seen-by's for zeus which seems to fix the problem.

I don't really want to hack the system to fix the issue as the authour is
    still active and I paid for a license over a decade ago.

--- Zeus BBS 1.5
  • From Ryan Fantus@39:905/128 to Ray Sbaitso on Tuesday, November 17, 2020 18:22:12
    OT - Are you related to the famous Dr. Sbaitso of early SoundBlaster days? :P

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/06 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: monterey bbs (39:905/128)
  • From Ray Sbaitso@39:902/522 to Frank Linhares on Sunday, November 22, 2020 13:15:45

On Tuesday November 17, 2020, Frank Linhares said to Ray Sbaitso...

The issues seems to lay in the way zeus's internal message library
    handles seen-by's. I have done some memory snooping of when the routine kicks in. I can get the new message notification to work if the seen-by lines aren't over 78 characters long. That's probably why you can get local message notifications to work as they don't contain seen-by
    lines.

As I feed my Zeus system from my other main mail hub, I am able to turn
    on reduced seen-by's for zeus which seems to fix the problem.

I don't really want to hack the system to fix the issue as the authour
    is still active and I paid for a license over a decade ago.

So I'm guessing that even if seen-by isn't turned on to be visible to the users, the system stil tracks it, correct? If that's the case that would certainly explain it. Thanks for the info, I always wondered about that.

--- Zeus BBS 1.5
  • From Ray Sbaitso@39:902/522 to Ryan Fantus on Sunday, November 22, 2020 13:17:49

On Tuesday November 17, 2020, Ryan Fantus said to Ray Sbaitso...

OT - Are you related to the famous Dr. Sbaitso of early SoundBlaster
    days? :P

Distant cousin ;)

--- Zeus BBS 1.5
  • From Frank Linhares@39:905/0 to Ray Sbaitso on Monday, November 23, 2020 09:34:39

On Sunday November 22, 2020, Ray Sbaitso said to Frank Linhares...

So I'm guessing that even if seen-by isn't turned on to be visible to
    the users, the system stil tracks it, correct? If that's the case that would certainly explain it. Thanks for the info, I always wondered
    about that.

Yes. The option to show seen-bys is just that, show them to the user other
    wise it just hides them, just like the Kludges.

Zeus seems to wrap everything at 78 characters for some reason. If it sees
    text below the tear and origin lines that doesn't begin with SEENBY: it
    freaks out.

Seeing as most seen-bys push to 80 characters the last entry wraps to a new line without the SEENBY: preceding it.

[%] SciNet! . the ftn of the bbs scene . https://scinet-ftn.org [%]

--- Zeus BBS 1.5
    * Origin: hysteria - amiga 4ooo - hysteriabbs.com (39:905/0.0)
  • From Ray Sbaitso@39:902/522 to Frank Linhares on Thursday, November 26, 2020 10:13:49

On Monday November 23, 2020, Frank Linhares said to Ray Sbaitso...

Yes. The option to show seen-bys is just that, show them to the user
    other wise it just hides them, just like the Kludges.

Zeus seems to wrap everything at 78 characters for some reason. If it
    sees text below the tear and origin lines that doesn't begin with
    SEENBY: it freaks out.

Seeing as most seen-bys push to 80 characters the last entry wraps to a new line without the SEENBY: preceding it.

There's so much that you don't see and aren't aware goes on from the remote side. It's difficult to get an idea of the inner workings if you're not dealing with it while setting up forums, networks, etc.

It sounds like you've dug pretty deep into the inner workings of the system.

I'm amazed at how little I can find in the way of doors, etc. out in Netland. I guess that so many boards went down at the time that dial up access became available. Even scouring the Internet Archive gives very very few hits on anything to do with it.

--- Zeus BBS 1.5
  • From Frank Linhares@39:905/0 to Ray Sbaitso on Saturday, November 28, 2020 05:23:44

On Thursday November 26, 2020, Ray Sbaitso said to Frank Linhares...

There's so much that you don't see and aren't aware goes on from the remote side. It's difficult to get an idea of the inner workings if you're not dealing with it while setting up forums, networks, etc.

It sounds like you've dug pretty deep into the inner workings of the system.

I spent a lot of time in my youth cracking and training games and other software. It was a blast getting back into digging into places you aren't suppose to. Brought back many great memories.

I have amassed everything that I could relating to Zeus and I have it up on Hysteria. Feel free to log in and see if I have something that you don't.

I would really like to figure out how the DLGDoor works in relation to the
    msg editor. It has been one thing I have never been able to figure out.

[%] SciNet! . the ftn of the bbs scene . https://scinet-ftn.org [%]

--- Zeus BBS 1.5