• OS choices

From Shaun Buzza@1:229/110 to All on Thursday, March 17, 2022 18:03:29
    Hello All;

I'm planning to do a data wipe on the Pi 3B+ that is currently hosting PiBBS.
    I wish to discuss the various options for the OS that I would install afterward.

Currently, I am using DietPi 'bullseye'. I like it, for its minimal overhead and extra optimization options out of the box. It is possible to send APT and log data to RAM(or swap, whatever) immediately after installing. It's a
    32-bit OS, though, which isn't a problem for the 1 GB 3B+, nor for the
    software I would be using. And, it has no desktop installed. Not the end of
    the world, since I'm accessing it via network, but VNC is a bit easier for
    most tasks.

Yes, yes, I know; I could just *install* a desktop. Which would almost defeat the purpose of choosing DietPi to begin with! I have no need for all the
    extra stuff required for a full-blown desktop, other than what's required for VNC access. ALSA, PulseAudio, video drivers, wifi, ethern--wait, nope. Need that one!

You get the point...

Doesn't mean I'm against the idea of using an OS that has a desktop by
    default. Which brings us to this post:

What OS should I choose this time?

I would prefer to stick to OSes that are 'supported' in PINN (https://github.com/procount/pinn), simply for the sake of ease-of-use. PINN
    is basically a fork of NOOBS installer. Other than that, I would also prefer
    to stick to Debian derivatives, both for compatibility and familiarity.

Target device is the previously mentioned 3B+ with 32GB storage.

Any opinions? (^_^)

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: PiBBS (1:229/110)
  • From Ahem A Rivet's Shot@3:770/3 to Shaun Buzza on Friday, March 18, 2022 06:17:58
    On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 18:03:29 +1200
    nospam.Shaun.Buzza@f110.n229.z1.fidonet.org (Shaun Buzza) wrote:

Yes, yes, I know; I could just *install* a desktop. Which would almost
    defeat the purpose of choosing DietPi to begin with! I have no need for
    all the extra stuff required for a full-blown desktop, other than what's required for VNC access. ALSA, PulseAudio, video drivers, wifi,
    ethern--wait, nope. Need that one!

You get the point...

So install a simple window manager and the applications you want
    like we all did before Gnome and KDE - and some of us still do :) There's a *lot* of choice.

--
    Steve O'Hara-Smith
    Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: Agency HUB, Dunedin - New Zealand | Fido<>Usenet Gateway (3:770/3)
  • From Jan Panteltje@3:770/3 to Shaun Buzza on Friday, March 18, 2022 07:58:38
    On a sunny day (Thu, 17 Mar 2022 18:03:29 +1200) it happened nospam.Shaun.Buzza@f110.n229.z1.fidonet.org (Shaun Buzza) wrote in <2041734975@f110.n229.z1.fidonet.org>:

Hello All;

I'm planning to do a data wipe on the Pi 3B+ that is currently hosting PiBBS. >I wish to discuss the various options for the OS that I would install >afterward.

Currently, I am using DietPi 'bullseye'. I like it, for its minimal overhead >and extra optimization options out of the box. It is possible to send APT and >log data to RAM(or swap, whatever) immediately after installing. It's a >32-bit OS, though, which isn't a problem for the 1 GB 3B+, nor for the >software I would be using. And, it has no desktop installed. Not the end of >the world, since I'm accessing it via network, but VNC is a bit easier for >most tasks.

Yes, yes, I know; I could just *install* a desktop. Which would almost defeat >the purpose of choosing DietPi to begin with! I have no need for all the >extra stuff required for a full-blown desktop, other than what's required for >VNC access. ALSA, PulseAudio, video drivers, wifi, ethern--wait, nope. Need >that one!

You get the point...

Doesn't mean I'm against the idea of using an OS that has a desktop by >default. Which brings us to this post:

I would prefer to stick to OSes that are 'supported' in PINN >(https://github.com/procount/pinn), simply for the sake of ease-of-use. PINN >is basically a fork of NOOBS installer. Other than that, I would also prefer >to stick to Debian derivatives, both for compatibility and familiarity.

Wow, my latest Pi4 only has 8 GB..
    I take it you mean 32 MB
    All that said my old Pies ? and the new Pi4s run normal raspi OS from those days
    but I modified it so they all run fvwm with 9 virtual desktops and xfm as file manager in one of those desktops.
    Same user interface everywhere (laptop, PCs, all the same).
    Do most from the command line anyway.

Any opinions? (^_^)

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Natural Philosopher@3:770/3 to Jan Panteltje on Friday, March 18, 2022 11:23:49
    On 18/03/2022 07:58, Jan Panteltje wrote:
    On a sunny day (Thu, 17 Mar 2022 18:03:29 +1200) it happened nospam.Shaun.Buzza@f110.n229.z1.fidonet.org (Shaun Buzza) wrote in <2041734975@f110.n229.z1.fidonet.org>:

Hello All;

I'm planning to do a data wipe on the Pi 3B+ that is currently hosting PiBBS.
    I wish to discuss the various options for the OS that I would install
    afterward.

Currently, I am using DietPi 'bullseye'. I like it, for its minimal overhead >> and extra optimization options out of the box. It is possible to send APT and
    log data to RAM(or swap, whatever) immediately after installing. It's a
    32-bit OS, though, which isn't a problem for the 1 GB 3B+, nor for the
    software I would be using. And, it has no desktop installed. Not the end of >> the world, since I'm accessing it via network, but VNC is a bit easier for >> most tasks.

Yes, yes, I know; I could just *install* a desktop. Which would almost defeat
    the purpose of choosing DietPi to begin with! I have no need for all the
    extra stuff required for a full-blown desktop, other than what's required for
    VNC access. ALSA, PulseAudio, video drivers, wifi, ethern--wait, nope. Need >> that one!

You get the point...

Doesn't mean I'm against the idea of using an OS that has a desktop by
    default. Which brings us to this post:

I would prefer to stick to OSes that are 'supported' in PINN
    (https://github.com/procount/pinn), simply for the sake of ease-of-use. PINN >> is basically a fork of NOOBS installer. Other than that, I would also prefer >> to stick to Debian derivatives, both for compatibility and familiarity.

I think my zero has 16GB
    But its only the cost of an SD card innit?
    df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/root 15G 2.0G 12G 14% /
    devtmpfs 213M 0 213M 0% /dev
    tmpfs 217M 0 217M 0% /dev/shm
    tmpfs 217M 23M 195M 11% /run
    tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
    tmpfs 217M 0 217M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    tmpfs 1.0M 0 1.0M 0% /var/MiPiFi
    /dev/mmcblk0p1 44M 23M 21M 52% /boot
    tmpfs 44M 0 44M 0% /run/user/1000

I take it you mean 32 MB

????

--
    “Ideas are inherently conservative. They yield not to the attack of
    other ideas but to the massive onslaught of circumstance"

- John K Galbraith

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jan Panteltje@3:770/3 to Philosopher on Friday, March 18, 2022 11:57:34
    On a sunny day (Fri, 18 Mar 2022 11:23:49 +0000) it happened The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote in <t11q45$qeq$1@dont-email.me>:

I think my zero has 16GB
    df -h
    /dev/root 15G 2.0G 12G 14% /
    devtmpfs 213M 0 213M 0% /dev
    tmpfs 217M 0 217M 0% /dev/shm
    tmpfs 217M 23M 195M 11% /run
    tmpfs 217M 0 217M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    tmpfs 1.0M 0 1.0M 0% /var/MiPiFi
    /dev/mmcblk0p1 44M 23M 21M 52% /boot
    tmpfs 44M 0 44M 0% /run/user/1000

I take it you mean 32 MB

????

My error, was thinking he was talking about memory
    Yes I have 32 GB Samsung SDcards in my Pi4, 16 GB and 32 GB in older Pies,
    and a Tosbiba 3.6 TB USB harddisk hanging on each Pi4

raspi95: ~ # df -h
    /dev/root 29G 17G 11G 61% /
    devtmpfs 1.8G 0 1.8G 0% /dev
    tmpfs 2.0G 960K 2.0G 1% /dev/shm
    tmpfs 2.0G 17M 1.9G 1% /run
    tmpfs 5.0M 8.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
    tmpfs 2.0G 0 2.0G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    /dev/mmcblk0p1 253M 52M 201M 21% /boot
    tmpfs 391M 0 391M 0% /run/user/1000
    /dev/sda2 3.6T 3.0T 433G 88% /mnt/sda2
    tmpfs 391M 0 391M 0% /run/user/0

raspi99: ~ # df -h
    /dev/root 29G 20G 7.4G 73% /
    devtmpfs 3.8G 20K 3.8G 1% /dev
    tmpfs 3.9G 21M 3.9G 1% /dev/shm
    tmpfs 3.9G 73M 3.8G 2% /run
    tmpfs 5.0M 8.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
    tmpfs 3.9G 0 3.9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    /dev/mmcblk0p1 253M 54M 199M 22% /boot
    tmpfs 788M 0 788M 0% /run/user/1000
    /dev/sda2 3.6T 786G 2.7T 23% /mnt/sda2
    tmpfs 788M 0 788M 0% /run/user/0

-:)
    root@raspi1:~# df -h
    rootfs 15G 6.4G 7.3G 47% /
    /dev/root 15G 6.4G 7.3G 47% /
    devtmpfs 215M 0 215M 0% /dev
    tmpfs 44M 264K 44M 1% /run
    tmpfs 88M 0 88M 0% /run/shm
    /dev/mmcblk0p1 56M 20M 37M 35% /boot

root@raspi73:~# df -h
    rootfs 30G 14G 15G 50% /
    /dev/root 30G 14G 15G 50% /
    devtmpfs 212M 0 212M 0% /dev
    tmpfs 44M 236K 44M 1% /run
    tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
    tmpfs 88M 0 88M 0% /run/shm
    /dev/mmcblk0p1 56M 19M 38M 34% /boot

# uname -a
    Linux raspi73 3.6.11+ #371 PREEMPT Thu Feb 7 16:31:35 GMT 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux
    9 years 24/7 not bad

Other older one is offline now

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Shaun Buzza@1:229/110 to Jan Panteltje on Friday, March 18, 2022 11:10:40
    I take it you mean 32 MB

Erm, no, I meant 32 GB...of (microSD) storage, *not* RAM. (^_^)
    The 3B+ only has 1 GB of RAM.

All that said my old Pies ? and the new Pi4s run normal raspi OS from those days
    but I modified it so they all run fvwm with 9 virtual desktops and xfm
    as file manager in one of those desktops.

I think it's "Pis", or maybe "Pi's" (o_-)

I'm not using Linux for all my devices, since I am a big gamer. My laptop,
    and (obviously) my...pies...all have some version of Debian on them, though...PiOS (or DietPi) or Linux Mint, respectively.

Again, I am looking for simplest possible solution. I have no need for 9 virtual desktop, when I'd only use one, and even that only rarely...as you
    say, most of it is done by command line. I also don't have the spare time to
    do a custom build, which is why I asked for complete OS options...

Enjoy your day!

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

• From Shaun Buzza@1:229/110 to The Natural Philosopher on Friday, March 18, 2022 11:12:49

I think my zero has 16GB

I'm pretty sure the gentleman has confused storage with memory. (^_^)

Do you have a suggestion for PiBBS's next OS?

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

• From Jan Panteltje@3:770/3 to Shaun Buzza on Friday, March 18, 2022 16:20:12
    On a sunny day (Fri, 18 Mar 2022 11:10:40 +1200) it happened nospam.Shaun.Buzza@f110.n229.z1.fidonet.org (Shaun Buzza) wrote in <3137149606@f110.n229.z1.fidonet.org>:

I take it you mean 32 MB

Erm, no, I meant 32 GB...of (microSD) storage, *not* RAM. (^_^)
    The 3B+ only has 1 GB of RAM.

but I modified it so they all run fvwm with 9 virtual desktops and xfm
    as file manager in one of those desktops.

I think it's "Pis", or maybe "Pi's" (o_-)

I'm not using Linux for all my devices, since I am a big gamer. My laptop, >and (obviously) my...pies...all have some version of Debian on them, >though...PiOS (or DietPi) or Linux Mint, respectively.

Again, I am looking for simplest possible solution. I have no need for 9 >virtual desktop, when I'd only use one, and even that only rarely...as you >say, most of it is done by command line.

9 virtual desktops, one with xfm, one with webbrowser, one with my Usenet newsreader,
    one wih audio mixer and the rest has rxvt terminals.
    As I am usually programming stuff on the terminals,
    one source code, one compile window, one data (datasheets and other code)
    and some have ssh sessions to other computers.

Easy to change windows with ctrl cursor.
    No overlapping windows.

I also don't have the spare time to
    do a custom build,

Its not that hard actually.
    For me I am retired, now over 75, so plenty of time, but before that I had the same hobby..

which is why I asked for complete OS options...

Well there exist probably few that have all options one can dream of, I will leave it to others to show what they know.

Gaming? Last time was packman or someting years ago.
    Programming and designing [electronics in my case] is more challenging for me as it gives me something you can actually use.

Enjoy your day!

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theo@3:770/3 to Shaun Buzza on Friday, March 18, 2022 17:44:27
    Shaun Buzza <nospam.Shaun.Buzza@f110.n229.z1.fidonet.org> wrote:
    Hello All;

I'm planning to do a data wipe on the Pi 3B+ that is currently hosting PiBBS. I wish to discuss the various options for the OS that I would install afterward.

Unless you have good reasons otherwise how about Raspberry Pi OS Lite, which comes in 32 and 64 bit flavours? It's supported by the RPF and is the most well tested path for the Pi.

That's enough to get you going. Then pick a desktop and install what you
    want for it - there are typically metapackages that pull in enough to get
    a basic desktop up, but not extra stuff - eg 'lxde' depends on image viewer, terminal and calculator, but heavyweight stuff like LibreOffice is a recommendation not a dependency.

If you want a more basic desktop for VNC purposes, install a standalone
    window manager like twm, i3 or fvwm - they aren't desktop environments so
    don't drag in lots of extra stuff. If you want a clock, a terminal or a calculator you'd have to install them separately (unless xclock, xterm and xcalc are good enough for you)

Currently, I am using DietPi 'bullseye'. I like it, for its minimal overhead and extra optimization options out of the box. It is possible to send APT and log data to RAM(or swap, whatever) immediately after installing.

I don't think RaspiOS will do that out of the box, but it can be set up manually later.

Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Shaun Buzza@1:229/110 to Jan Panteltje on Friday, March 18, 2022 14:35:26
    which is why I asked for complete OS options...

Well there exist probably few that have all options one can dream of, I will leave it to others to show what they know.

Gaming? Last time was packman or someting years ago.
    Programming and designing [electronics in my case] is more challenging
    for me as it gives me something you can actually use.

As I sort-of described in my OP, this Pi will be used (more or less) only as a home server. PiBBS, maybe a basic website, and that's about it (Oh, compiling programs as well, as the need arises, but I do the development on my PC, since it's connected to a big display). All of this would be done through network connections like ssh, ftp, or vnc. I certainly don't need gaming options, or anything relating to sound, video, wifi, bluetooth, et cetera. I have a separate Pi4B with PiOS for general purpose use like that.

I will do a full wipe anyway, in order to clean up mistakes and leftover projects/files. I will have to install a fresh OS, and this is why I am wondering: should I change OSes? And to which one? DietPi is doing its job pretty well, though it has some minor drawbacks. It is acceptable to just re-install that. Or I could install any one of many alternates.

It's not an easy decision, and that's why I'm asking everyone for advice.

(^_^)/

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

• From Shaun Buzza@1:229/110 to Theo on Friday, March 18, 2022 14:53:05
    I'm planning to do a data wipe on the Pi 3B+ that is currently hosting P I wish to discuss the various options for the OS that I would install afterward.

Unless you have good reasons otherwise how about Raspberry Pi OS Lite, which comes in 32 and 64 bit flavours? It's supported by the RPF and is the most well tested path for the Pi.

I can't think of any reasons otherwise, good or bad. And, other than a few added tweaks, DietPi basically *is* PiOS Lite.

What benefit would there be in using a 64-bit OS on a 3B+? Sure, on a Pi4 with 8GB, it makes a lot of sense. But...on a 3B+ with 1GB? I can only think of negatives, when considering that option.

That's enough to get you going. Then pick a desktop and install what you want for it - there are typically metapackages that pull in enough to get a basic desktop up, but not extra stuff - eg 'lxde' depends on image viewer, terminal and calculator, but heavyweight stuff like LibreOffice
    is a recommendation not a dependency.

Ugh. Work. Hate the stuff, personally...(-_-)

I could also do the same on DietPi. Their 'dietpi-launcher' even has
    two-click installers for lxde, xfce, and...lxqt? Even Mate is in there. I did eventually install lxde (and TigerVNC), because some things are just easier on a desktop than on a commandline.

If you want a more basic desktop for VNC purposes, install a standalone window manager like twm, i3 or fvwm - they aren't desktop environments so don't drag in lots of extra stuff. If you want a clock, a terminal or a calculator you'd have to install them separately (unless xclock, xterm
    and xcalc are good enough for you)

Terminal, and a file manager, for sure; not sure what else I'd need. I'd have
    a full-fledged desktop right behind the VNC window, after all. I keep forgetting that window managers are a thing. These would 'automagically' work with a VNC connection?

Currently, I am using DietPi 'bullseye'. I like it, for its minimal over and extra optimization options out of the box. It is possible to send AP log data to RAM(or swap, whatever) immediately after installing.

I don't think RaspiOS will do that out of the box, but it can be set up manually later.

Did I mention my feelings about this 'work' stuff, yet? (o_O)

Thanks for the advice. I will look into window manager options.

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

• From Ahem A Rivet's Shot@3:770/3 to Shaun Buzza on Friday, March 18, 2022 20:23:48
    On Fri, 18 Mar 2022 14:53:05 +1200

Terminal, and a file manager, for sure; not sure what else I'd need. I'd
    have a full-fledged desktop right behind the VNC window, after all. I keep forgetting that window managers are a thing. These would 'automagically'
    work with a VNC connection?

Yes they would, but I'm starting to wonder if you wouldn't be just
    as well off with using ssh and X11 forwarding to bring terminals,
    filemanagers et al onto your existing desktop and not run a GUI on the pi
    at all.

--
    Steve O'Hara-Smith
    Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From druck@3:770/3 to Theo on Friday, March 18, 2022 23:00:00
    On 18/03/2022 22:25, Theo wrote:
    I'm not familiar with DietPi but it seems to be developed by a handful of people. The risk with this kind of project is they eventually stop supporting it and you have to migrate to something else.

I'm surprised its still going, it was useful 10 yeas ago on a Pi 1B with
    a 4GB SD card, but these days there is no significant benefit compared
    to a standard Raspbian build.

For this kind of
    setup, where you're explicitly wanting a desktop (of some kind) I'm not sure that starting with a 'diet' image and then installing a bunch of stuff will give much advantage over just starting with the vanilla Lite image.
    Far more hassle than it's worth. A standard Raspbian comes with the
    lightweight Pixel desktop and VNC out of the box - although its
    proprietary RealVNC which some of my other stuff wont talk to, so I just replace that with it with x11vnc, and job done.

---druck

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theo@3:770/3 to Shaun Buzza on Friday, March 18, 2022 22:25:59
    I'm planning to do a data wipe on the Pi 3B+ that is currently hosting P
    I wish to discuss the various options for the OS that I would install afterward.

I can't think of any reasons otherwise, good or bad. And, other than a few added tweaks, DietPi basically *is* PiOS Lite.

I'm not familiar with DietPi but it seems to be developed by a handful of people. The risk with this kind of project is they eventually stop
    supporting it and you have to migrate to something else. For this kind of setup, where you're explicitly wanting a desktop (of some kind) I'm not sure that starting with a 'diet' image and then installing a bunch of stuff will give much advantage over just starting with the vanilla Lite image.

What benefit would there be in using a 64-bit OS on a 3B+? Sure, on a Pi4 with
    8GB, it makes a lot of sense. But...on a 3B+ with 1GB? I can only think of negatives, when considering that option.

aarch64 is faster than aarch32. While the pointers are bigger and you pay
    some memory overhead for that, you also get better performance.

Terminal, and a file manager, for sure; not sure what else I'd need. I'd have a full-fledged desktop right behind the VNC window, after all. I keep forgetting that window managers are a thing. These would 'automagically' work with a VNC connection?

I can't remember how VNC chooses which desktop environment to start in the session, but there's a ~/.vncstartup file where you can run things.

Alternatively, if you start your VNC desktop on :1 (ie port 5901) you can
    do, from another machine:

ssh -X pi@raspberrypi
    export DISPLAY=localhost:1
    twm &
    xterm &

and that should get you a terminal on your VNC with a barebones window
    manager (assuming the twm package is installed) and you can launch things
    from there.

Or, as mentioned, just ssh -X and running a local X server to have things on your local display. Upsides and downsides.

Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Shaun Buzza@1:229/110 to Theo on Friday, March 18, 2022 20:48:40
    I'm not familiar with DietPi but it seems to be developed by a handful of people. The risk with this kind of project is they eventually stop supporting it and you have to migrate to something else.

The same could be said for Mystic, which I'm using for PiBBS's backend. But a lack of support doesn't mean the software is not usable. I can think of at least one computer in my general life that is still running Windows XP.

For this kind
    of setup, where you're explicitly wanting a desktop (of some kind) I'm
    not sure that starting with a 'diet' image and then installing a bunch
    of stuff will give much advantage over just starting with the vanilla
    Lite image.

None that I can think of, either, aside from a few performance tweaks that
    were included in this specific 'diet' build.

What benefit would there be in using a 64-bit OS on a 3B+? Sure, on a Pi with
    8GB, it makes a lot of sense. But...on a 3B+ with 1GB? I can only think negatives, when considering that option.

aarch64 is faster than aarch32. While the pointers are bigger and you
    pay some memory overhead for that, you also get better performance.

Is it a significant performance gain?

A difference of a few seconds on an hour-long workload isn't worth doubling
    the memory requirements for some things, I would think. Especially if a particular task were already memory-heavy. This may just be picking nits, though. As stated, this Pi would mainly be used for relatively simple tasts, like hosting PiBBS, a simple website, and maybe a local file server...

However, I *might* need it for compiling Pi-compatible software. Is it safe
    to assume that one can compile 32-bit apps in 64-bit PiOS? If so, it might be better to have 64-bit, so I can compile for both...

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

• From Mike Scott@3:770/3 to Shaun Buzza on Saturday, March 19, 2022 10:07:08
    On 18/03/2022 02:35, Shaun Buzza wrote:
    As I sort-of described in my OP, this Pi will be used (more or less) only as a
    home server. PiBBS, maybe a basic website, and that's about it (Oh, compiling programs as well, as the need arises, but I do the development on my PC, since
    it's connected to a big display). All of this would be done through network connections like ssh, ftp, or vnc. I certainly don't need gaming options, or anything relating to sound, video, wifi, bluetooth, et cetera. I have a separate Pi4B with PiOS for general purpose use like that.

I have a pi4 running freebsd (headless) - the server for the family:
    runs sendmail, apache, ntp, nfs, etc, etc. Works quite well, if a mite
    slower than the i386 it's just replaced. No support yet for
    wifi/blutooth, which I also don't need anyway. Access via vnc or ssh/tmux.

FWIW I think the bsd pf firewall is more flexible than linux's -- but
    that may just be down to relative familiarity.

(I also have freebsd running on an ancient model B - 256Mb - which is
    handy as an ethernet bridge to monitor network traffic.)

--
    Mike Scott
    Harlow, England

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theo@3:770/3 to Shaun Buzza on Saturday, March 19, 2022 10:30:25
    aarch64 is faster than aarch32. While the pointers are bigger and you pay some memory overhead for that, you also get better performance.

15-30%: https://www.cnx-software.com/2016/03/01/64-bit-arm-aarch64-instructions-boost-performance-by-15-to-30-compared-to-32-bit-arm-aarch32-instructions/

aarch64 isn't just doubling the register size, it also doubles the number of registers and cleans up some things that made aarch32 implementations slower than they needed to be. It's basically a new instruction set, rather than
    a tweak of the 32 bit ISA (as i386 to x86_64 was).

A difference of a few seconds on an hour-long workload isn't worth doubling the memory requirements for some things, I would think. Especially if a particular task were already memory-heavy. This may just be picking nits, though. As stated, this Pi would mainly be used for relatively simple tasts, like hosting PiBBS, a simple website, and maybe a local file server...

However, I *might* need it for compiling Pi-compatible software. Is it safe to assume that one can compile 32-bit apps in 64-bit PiOS? If so, it might be better to have 64-bit, so I can compile for both...

A 64 bit OS can run 32 and 64 bit software, yes. A 32 bit OS can't run 64
    bit software. To build you'd need to install 32 bit libraries, but on
    Debian derivatives that's easily done. aarch64 can't mix 32 and 64 bit software within an application, so you have to compile the whole application one way or another.

Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Shaun Buzza@1:229/110 to Mike Scott on Saturday, March 19, 2022 12:52:07
    I have a pi4 running freebsd (headless) - the server for the family:

Thanks for your input, Mike!

I really don't want to use freebsd. I simply don't have enough experience
    with it to be comfortable. This is why I said I preferred Debian versions of Linux. I am pretty comfortable working with that, and confident enough that I can do all the things I want to do...

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

• From Shaun Buzza@1:229/110 to Theo on Saturday, March 19, 2022 12:59:16

15-30%:

Really? (O_O)

That's significant, all right! I'll have to check that link, and of course
    some others that I'll be looking for.

A 64 bit OS can run 32 and 64 bit software, yes. A 32 bit OS can't run
    64 bit software. To build you'd need to install 32 bit libraries, but on Debian derivatives that's easily done. aarch64 can't mix 32 and 64 bit software within an application, so you have to compile the whole application one way or another.

Erm, yes, well, 'running' and 'compiling' are not the same. I'm going to be releasing my own series of door games in the future, and this is what my questions about compiling are referring to. It would be extremely helpful to still be able to build 32-bit releases for those who are using 32-bit OSes. At least for the Pi, 64-bit just isn't that common yet.

I'm sort of 'future-proofing'...in a very backward way...

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

• From Mike Scott@3:770/3 to Shaun Buzza on Sunday, March 20, 2022 18:39:08
    On 19/03/2022 00:52, Shaun Buzza wrote:
    MS> I have a pi4 running freebsd (headless) - the server for the family:

I really don't want to use freebsd. I simply don't have enough experience with it to be comfortable. This is why I said I preferred Debian versions of Linux. I am pretty comfortable working with that, and confident enough that I can do all the things I want to do...

That's fine of course. What you're familiar with is often (usually?) the
    best other things being equal. I suppose I really wanted to put in a
    word for the BSDs; they often seem to be lost under the myriad of
    linuxes out there :-) (BTW, I use linux for all our desktops and
    laptops: all mint except for an ancient 32-bit lappy. Years back, when
    looking round to replace XP, BSD desktops just didn't quite hit the
    mark; linux scraped in :-) )

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

--
    Mike Scott
    Harlow, England

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Shaun Buzza@1:229/110 to Mike Scott on Sunday, March 20, 2022 16:26:50

I really don't want to use freebsd. I simply don't have enough experienc with it to be comfortable.

That's fine of course. What you're familiar with is often (usually?) the best other things being equal.

Yes, exactly. All other things being equal, I'd prefer 'familiar' more than I would the (potentially) months of re-training.

I suppose I really wanted to put in a
    word for the BSDs; they often seem to be lost under the myriad of
    linuxes out there :-)

I don't blame you at all, for that! It's exactly why I bring up Linux any
    time my less-than-technical friends argue Windows versus Mac!

(BTW, I use linux for all our desktops and
    laptops: all mint except for an ancient 32-bit lappy. Years back, when looking round to replace XP, BSD desktops just didn't quite hit the
    mark; linux scraped in :-) )

Doesn't Mint have a 32-bit version? Oh, it seems they stopped at version
    19.2, never mind!

I don't want to say that Mint is my favorite Linux, yet. But it's certainly high up on the list, especially with their Xfce version. More specifically, I think 'Debian' is pretty great. This is what Mint, Ubuntu, and a huge list of others (including PiOS), are built on.

Again, it may just come down to familiarity, but I certainly prefer Debian over...say...Arch, or Fedora, or friggin' Caldera/RedHat! (Don't ask)

None of this helps me choose a new OS for my Pi...It's limited to only
    Debian builds, as far as I'm aware. Hmm...I'm actually not sure about this,
    now that I think about it...is there any other core distro that supports ARM CPUs? Besides Android, I mean.

I'll look into FreeBSD, and BSD in general, now that you've brought it to my attention. But, you can safely assume that I won't be installing it on this particular Pi. (^_^)

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

• From Brian Gregory@3:770/3 to All on Monday, March 21, 2022 01:25:55
    You need to give us some kind of hint as to what you will be wanting to
    do with it.

--
    Brian Gregory (in England).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Natural Philosopher@3:770/3 to Shaun Buzza on Monday, March 21, 2022 10:25:44
    On 20/03/2022 04:26, Shaun Buzza wrote:
    I don't want to say that Mint is my favorite Linux, yet. But it's certainly high up on the list, especially with their Xfce version.

Its stable, has everything you need, and has three window managers 'as standard' and is very fast to install as default and only OS.

--
    Those who want slavery should have the grace to name it by its proper
    name. They must face the full meaning of that which they are advocating
    or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
    logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
    the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
    face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From A. Dumas@3:770/3 to druck on Tuesday, March 22, 2022 08:44:23
    On 19-03-2022 00:00, druck wrote:
    Far more hassle than it's worth. A standard Raspbian comes with the lightweight Pixel desktop and VNC out of the box - although its
    proprietary RealVNC which some of my other stuff wont talk to, so I just replace that with it with x11vnc, and job done.

Oh? Which stuff in particular? Their integration is particularly
    convenient because it gives you the current session. No need to log out
    locally or start a new session. In that way, it's like MS Remote
    Desktop. Also they either have or will figure out a way to make it work
    with Wayland. Not sure that's ever going to happen with X based vnc.

And yeah, it works out of the box. Stark contrast with my Manjaro
    experience; doesn't work on the standard desktop, needs precise
    configuring which is bound to be unfamiliar to users who want it to
    "just work", can't be logged in locally or the whole OS will lock up,
    and has snooty admins in their forums.

On another note separate from the VNC issue, this is a fucking "stuck in
    the old fidonet ways" question again. The OP should STFU and just
    download and install the standard Raspberry Pi OS 64-bit with desktop
    from https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/operating-systems/#raspberry-pi-os-64-bit (or use their Imager from https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/ ). The
    best choice going forward and the widest selection of compatible
    software right now.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From NY@3:770/3 to A. Dumas on Tuesday, March 22, 2022 10:33:13
    "A. Dumas" <alexandre@dumas.fr.invalid> wrote in message news:t1buon$561$1@dont-email.me...
    proprietary RealVNC which some of my other stuff wont talk to, so I just
    replace that with it with x11vnc, and job done.

convenient because it gives you the current session. No need to log out locally or start a new session. In that way, it's like MS Remote Desktop. Also they either have or will figure out a way to make it work with
    Wayland. Not sure that's ever going to happen with X based vnc.

I've certainly found that the RealVNC server that is supplied with Raspbian
    can be accessed perfectly by RealVNC client on Windows 7 and 10, exactly as
    if it was RealVNC server running on Windows or Ubuntu/Mint Linux.

The one good thing about the Raspbian VNC server is that it will allow a
    direct connection by LAN IP address and so doesn't send data up to a central server on the web and then back down to the client. This means that it is faster (less lag when viewing a fast-changing screen) and it doesn't count
    as one of the five computers that you can access using a free client:
    normally you need a paid subscription to get direct connections.

I use Real VNC to access my two headless RPis. The only "funny" is that you need to hard-configure the screen resolution by modifying modify /boot/config.txt:

hdmi_force_hotplug=1 # allow Pi to boot with no monitor connected
    hdmi_group=2
    hdmi_mode=82 # force 1920x1080x60 even though monitor can’t be
    auto-detected

This seems to be necessary on for the Pi4. My older Pi3 just worked. If you don't set the resolution explicitly, VNC gives you a 640x480 version of the screen.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From scott@alfter.diespammersdie.us@3:770/3 to Shaun Buzza on Tuesday, March 22, 2022 19:56:21
    I have no need for all the
    extra stuff required for a full-blown desktop, other than what's required for VNC access. ALSA, PulseAudio, video drivers, wifi, ethern--wait, nope. Need that one!

For network configuration on Gentoo (wired or wireless), nmtui works fairly well. I think it's also an option on Raspbian, though wired Ethernet
    usually just works and WiFi can be set up through raspi-config.

--
    _/_
    / v \ Scott Alfter (remove the obvious to send mail)
    (IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
    \_^_/ >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From druck@3:770/3 to A. Dumas on Tuesday, March 22, 2022 21:06:58
    On 22/03/2022 07:44, A. Dumas wrote:
    proprietary RealVNC which some of my other stuff wont talk to, so I
    just replace that with it with x11vnc, and job done.

convenient because it gives you the current session. No need to log out locally or start a new session. In that way, it's like MS Remote
    Desktop. Also they either have or will figure out a way to make it work
    with Wayland. Not sure that's ever going to happen with X based vnc.

x11vnc also allows you to access the current session as you describe. It
    also works correctly with other Linux VNC clients such as reminna.

The RealVNC server used to work correctly after changing the
    authentication method, but doesn't seem to want to play any more.

Another advantage of x11vnc is you can team it up with xrdp, and use
    Windows or Linux RDP clients to access the Pi, which seems marginally
    faster to me.

---druck

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Shaun Buzza@1:229/110 to Brian Gregory on Saturday, March 26, 2022 18:30:21
    You need to give us some kind of hint as to what you will be wanting to
    do with it.

Read the OP? (o_O)

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

... I'm not a complete idiot... Several parts are missing!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Raspberry Pi/32)
  • From Brian Gregory@3:770/3 to Shaun Buzza on Tuesday, March 29, 2022 14:25:13
    On 26/03/2022 06:30, Shaun Buzza wrote:
    BG> You need to give us some kind of hint as to what you will be wanting to
    BG> do with it.

Read the OP? (o_O)

So you have no reason to change at all yet want to change just to make
    things harder for yourself?

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Shaun Buzza@1:229/110 to Brian Gregory on Tuesday, March 29, 2022 11:23:27
    BG> You need to give us some kind of hint as to what you will be wanti
    BG> do with it.

Read the OP? (o_O)

So you have no reason to change at all yet want to change just to make things harder for yourself?

I have no reason to stick with my current OS, either. Also, I specified certain limitations, in order to *not* make things harder for myself.

I'm doing a wipe, either way. I am simply exploring other options for the OS before doing so.

Please, feel free to suggest a Pi-compatible Debian OS that you like! (^_^)

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

... No honey, I can't eat with the family. My computer gets lonely!

• From Dan Clough@1:123/115 to Shaun Buzza on Tuesday, March 29, 2022 13:53:19
    Re: OS choices
    By: Shaun Buzza to All on Thu Mar 17 2022 06:03 pm

<SNIP>

Any opinions? (^_^)

I recommend Slackware 15.0, in either 32/64.

More info here: arm.slackware.com
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (1:123/115)
  • From Shaun Buzza@1:229/110 to Dan Clough on Tuesday, March 29, 2022 16:40:36
    Any opinions? (^_^)

I recommend Slackware 15.0, in either 32/64.

I wasn't aware that Slackware was ported to armhf, but I'll look into this...

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

... I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed.

• From Brian Gregory@3:770/3 to Shaun Buzza on Wednesday, March 30, 2022 15:31:34
    On 29/03/2022 00:23, Shaun Buzza wrote:
    Please, feel free to suggest a Pi-compatible Debian OS that you like! (^_^)

If you can't point at some specific extra feature you want just go with Raspberry Pi OS lite.

You're not going to get any better performance if you're sticking to
    Debian based, just the possibility of worse documentation and more bugs.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Shaun Buzza@1:229/110 to Brian Gregory on Wednesday, March 30, 2022 11:51:37
    If you can't point at some specific extra feature you want just go with Raspberry Pi OS lite.

Minimal overhead, I suppose, is an 'extra feature' that I want. This is why
    I'm currently using DietPi OS. It's basically PiOS Lite with a few
    pre-enabled performance features...

You're not going to get any better performance if you're sticking to Debian based, just the possibility of worse documentation and more bugs.

It's likely that I will stick with DietPi, or at least PiOS Lite, for this exact reason. Probably, I will switch to PiOS Lite, though, since it has a 64-bit build, while DietPi is 32-bit only.

I'm certainly not refusing to try other Linux flavours, but I prefer Debian due to familiarity. I will look into a couple of other flavours that have been suggested, particularly Slackware. I may just transfer PiBBS to my PC while I play around with OSes on the Pi for a while...

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

... I know a good tagline when I steal one!

• From Folderol@3:770/3 to Shaun Buzza on Wednesday, March 30, 2022 20:28:41
    On Wed, 30 Mar 2022 11:51:37 +1200

Minimal overhead, I suppose, is an 'extra feature' that I want. This is why >I'm currently using DietPi OS. It's basically PiOS Lite with a few >pre-enabled performance features...

You're not going to get any better performance if you're sticking to Debian based, just the possibility of worse documentation and more bugs.

It's likely that I will stick with DietPi, or at least PiOS Lite, for this >exact reason. Probably, I will switch to PiOS Lite, though, since it has a >64-bit build, while DietPi is 32-bit only.

I'm certainly not refusing to try other Linux flavours, but I prefer Debian due
    to familiarity. I will look into a couple of other flavours that have been >suggested, particularly Slackware. I may just transfer PiBBS to my PC while I >play around with OSes on the Pi for a while...

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

... I know a good tagline when I steal one!

You might like to try devuan - debian without systemd :)

--
    Basic

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Shaun Buzza@1:229/110 to Folderol on Wednesday, March 30, 2022 22:53:46
    You might like to try devuan - debian without systemd :)

But...then what would I use for systemd? (o_O)

I'll add that to the list of OSes to check out!

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

... We all live in a yellow subroutine...

• From Brian Gregory@3:770/3 to Shaun Buzza on Thursday, March 31, 2022 12:13:24
    On 30/03/2022 11:53, Shaun Buzza wrote:
    Fo> You might like to try devuan - debian without systemd :)

Apparently with Devuan you can choose sysvinit, OpenRC, or runit to use
    instead of systemd!

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Shaun Buzza@1:229/110 to Brian Gregory on Thursday, March 31, 2022 09:52:30
    Fo> You might like to try devuan - debian without systemd :)

Apparently with Devuan you can choose sysvinit, OpenRC, or runit to use instead of systemd!

Heh, Brian, you may not be familiar with my sense of humour yet. That was meant as a joke, not an honest question...(o_-)

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

... 24 hours in a day and 24 beers in a case. Hmmmm...