• This Echo

From Brian Franklin@1:229/426.31 to All on Wednesday, February 23, 2022 07:47:00
    Over the last three weeks, this echo has had 11 people post more than one time.

Seems to be pretty dead.

Jeff and Lee dominate by the sheer number of their posts. All smoke and no fire, all fluff and no nuggets, makes me wonder where'e the beef.

It ain't here.

Over and Out

Regards,
    Brian Franklin
    --- WinPoint 400.2
    * Origin: You loot, we shoot (1:229/426.31)
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Brian Franklin on Wednesday, February 23, 2022 07:31:27
    On 23 Feb 2022, Brian Franklin said the following...
    Over the last three weeks, this echo has had 11 people post more than
    one time.

Seems to be pretty dead.

It is what it is.

Jeff and Lee dominate by the sheer number of their posts.

That would be largely due to Brandolini's Law: "The amount of energy needed
    to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude larger than is needed to produce it."

All smoke and
    no fire, all fluff and no nuggets, makes me wonder where'e the beef.

It ain't here.

The truth is often far more boring than the propaganda.

I'm sure we're all absolutely guilt-ridden that we haven't met your expectations.

Jeff.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Cold War Computing BBS (1:387/26)
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to BRIAN FRANKLIN on Wednesday, February 23, 2022 16:01:00
    Over the last three weeks, this echo has had 11 people post more than one time

For FIDO, and most FTNs, that is pretty good.

* SLMR 2.1a * Halloween is *not* Christmas, even though 31 oct = 25 dec
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Wednesday, February 23, 2022 16:22:00

That would be largely due to Brandolini's Law: "The amount of energy needed to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude larger than is needed to produce it."

The output of one of those two people listed, and who is not quoted in this message, is near 100% BS.

* SLMR 2.1a * Pentium Myth #1: The computer only does what you tell it.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Wednesday, February 23, 2022 17:03:32
    On 23 Feb 2022, Mike Powell said the following...

Over the last three weeks, this echo has had 11 people post more than on time

For FIDO, and most FTNs, that is pretty good.

Fact.

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Wednesday, February 23, 2022 17:07:35
    On 23 Feb 2022, Mike Powell said the following...

That would be largely due to Brandolini's Law: "The amount of energy nee to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude larger than is needed to pro it."

The output of one of those two people listed, and who is not quoted in this message, is near 100% BS.

That person does seem to joke around a lot, but also seems to have a quite impressive knowledge of US, and especially Louisiana, history and the
    documents that define it. He's corrected me several times and been, well, correct.

That's one reason I'm reluctant to subscribe to the Lee/Bjorn theory. I think Bjourn would have to have a better-than-your-average-Swede knowledge of US
    and Cajun culture to pose as Lee.

Jeff.

• From Björn Felten@2:203/2 to Jeff Thiele on Thursday, February 24, 2022 01:05:18
    I think Bjourn would have to have a better-than-your-average-Swede knowledge of US

(That's a novel spelling of my name. If you skip the 'o' you'd be pronouncing my name perfectly though. Might be good to know, the next time you speak about ABBA or one of the best tennis players ever...)

I've never even been to Louisiana. The closest I've been, working a couple of weeks, is Orlando, FL.

I speak a passable French, but I don't like Cajun cooking. I do love Queen Ida though, ever since I first watched her on Swedish TV in 1980:

https://youtu.be/_c0pH4iYLcA

--- Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; sv-SE; rv:1.9.1.16) Gecko/20101125
    * Origin: news://eljaco.se:4119 (2:203/2)
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Björn Felten on Wednesday, February 23, 2022 18:33:13
    On 24 Feb 2022, Björn Felten said the following...

I think Bjourn would have to have a better-than-your-average-Swede knowledge of US

(That's a novel spelling of my name. If you skip the 'o' you'd be pronouncing my name perfectly though. Might be good to know, the next
    time you speak about ABBA or one of the best tennis players ever...)

My apologies; it was not intentional.

I've never even been to Louisiana. The closest I've been, working a couple of weeks, is Orlando, FL.

What were you doing in Orlando for just a couple of weeks?

I speak a passable French, but I don't like Cajun cooking. I do love Queen Ida though, ever since I first watched her on Swedish TV in 1980:

https://youtu.be/_c0pH4iYLcA

I do not speak French or Swedish. I know enough Spanish to get by, though.

Jeff.

• From Björn Felten@2:203/2 to Jeff Thiele on Thursday, February 24, 2022 01:52:12

I attended a CA conference. And it was late July, so two weeks was more than enough. After that I went on to NYC for another couple of weeks, but that wasn't all that different, just not the daily, afternoon thunder storms.

Oh. BTW, this was 2001. I returned home September 7th...

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Björn Felten on Wednesday, February 23, 2022 19:04:53

I attended a CA conference. And it was late July, so two weeks was
    more than enough. After that I went on to NYC for another couple of
    weeks, but that wasn't all that different, just not the daily, afternoon thunder storms.

Ah, ok, I thought maybe you'd had an extremely short-lived Disney World
    career. ;)

Yikes.

Jeff.

• From Björn Felten@2:203/2 to Jeff Thiele on Thursday, February 24, 2022 03:30:34

Yikes.

Yeah, kind of a close call. My wife (R.I.P.) was with me on that trip, and we wanted to go up on one of the towers, but with it's $18 fee, we decided to take the Empire State ($9) instead. We also had Sleepless in Seattle in fresh memory, so it really was a no-brainer.

This was September 6th.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Björn Felten on Wednesday, February 23, 2022 21:06:08
    Yeah, kind of a close call. My wife (R.I.P.) was with me on that
    trip, and we wanted to go up on one of the towers, but with it's $18
    fee, we decided to take the Empire State ($9) instead. We also had Sleepless in Seattle in fresh memory, so it really was a no-brainer.

Ah, sorry to hear about your wife. I, too, have lost a spouse.

Jeff.

• From Björn Felten@2:203/2 to Jeff Thiele on Thursday, February 24, 2022 05:58:24
    Ah, sorry to hear about your wife. I, too, have lost a spouse.

You have my deepest sympathy. It's a real life changer. We had such big plans about life after retirement, but now all I have left is my children and grandchildren, alone in a big house that we built together cash only, without any banks involved.

Not the same without my wife, whom I met in 1969 and married in 1976. She was only 61 when a COVID like virus took her away (but no, that was six years ago, so she was not patient zero...).

• From Ron L.@1:120/616 to Brian Franklin on Thursday, February 24, 2022 08:07:55
    Brian Franklin wrote to All <=-

They have plenty of time on their hands. No job. Living in their moms' basements. They can't go out during the day because their moms would see them and ask them when they are going to get a job and move out.

... I may have settled in shipping.
    ___ MultiMail/Linux v0.52

--- Mystic BBS/QWK v1.12 A47 2021/09/29 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: cold fusion - cfbbs.net - grand rapids, mi (1:120/616)
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Ron L. on Thursday, February 24, 2022 10:36:51
    On 24 Feb 2022, Ron L. said the following...

They have plenty of time on their hands. No job. Living in their moms' basements. They can't go out during the day because their moms would
    see them and ask them when they are going to get a job and move out.

I'm not sure what the right's obsession with my mom's (non-existent, incidentally) basement is, but that is not where I live.

There is a small kernel of truth in your claim, though. I live with my future mother-in-law, or rather she lives with my fiancee and I. She lives in our house because she's advanced in years, and we don't charge her rent.

Jeff.

• From MIKE POWELL@1:2320/105 to BRIAN FRANKLIN on Thursday, February 24, 2022 06:59:00
    | Over the last three weeks, this echo has had 11 people post more than one time.
    | Seems to be pretty dead.
    |
    | Jeff and Lee dominate by the sheer number of their posts. All smoke and no
    | fire, all fluff and no nuggets, makes me wonder where'e the beef.
    +-[BF=>All]

Part of the reason you don't get many responses on your posts to All is
    because our left-wing contingent is likely finding a difficult time
    refuting what you post.

So you are mostly hearing from people who agree with you.

##Mmr 2.61(beta). !link BF 2-23-22 7:47
    ---
    * BgNet 1.0b12 = moe's tavern * 1-502-875-8938 * moetiki.ddns.net:27
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to MIKE POWELL on Thursday, February 24, 2022 11:33:04
    On 24 Feb 2022, MIKE POWELL said the following...
    | Over the last three weeks, this echo has had 11 people post more than one time.
    |
    | Jeff and Lee dominate by the sheer number of their posts. All smoke
    and no | fire, all fluff and no nuggets, makes me wonder where'e the
    beef. +-[BF=>All]

Part of the reason you don't get many responses on your posts to All is because our left-wing contingent is likely finding a difficult time refuting what you post.

Nah, just gotta pick your battles and not have too many irons in the fire.
    All I recall seeing so far is a derogatory reference to Biden in relation to the economy and a complaint about the quality and quantity of posts in this echo. Ho hum.

Jeff.

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Thursday, February 24, 2022 15:52:00
    That's one reason I'm reluctant to subscribe to the Lee/Bjorn theory. I think Bjourn would have to have a better-than-your-average-Swede knowledge of US and Cajun culture to pose as Lee.

Wait until you get Lee going about Sweden sometime. You will see strong similarities.

* SLMR 2.1a * Speed doesn't kill. Stopping very fast kills.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Thursday, February 24, 2022 15:57:00
    Part of the reason you don't get many responses on your posts to All is because our left-wing contingent is likely finding a difficult time refuting what you post.

Nah, just gotta pick your battles and not have too many irons in the fire. All I recall seeing so far is a derogatory reference to Biden in relation to the economy and a complaint about the quality and quantity of posts in this echo. Ho hum.

He is the one that pointed out the full story behind another's sad tale
    about someone who went to jail after her probation officer told her it was
    OK to vote. He has made a couple of posts about what is going on in Canada.

* SLMR 2.1a * Objects in taglines are closer than they appear.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Thursday, February 24, 2022 16:03:00
    I'm not sure what the right's obsession with my mom's (non-existent, incidentally) basement is, but that is not where I live.

There is a small kernel of truth in your claim, though. I live with my future mother-in-law, or rather she lives with my fiancee and I. She lives in our house because she's advanced in years, and we don't charge her rent.

So I guess it only applies if the future mom-in-law forces you to spend
    most of your time in your basement. :)

* SLMR 2.1a * Hold on! Doesn't NT mean NinTendo ?
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Thursday, February 24, 2022 16:50:54
    On 24 Feb 2022, Mike Powell said the following...
    Part of the reason you don't get many responses on your posts to Al because our left-wing contingent is likely finding a difficult time refuting what you post.

Nah, just gotta pick your battles and not have too many irons in the fir All I recall seeing so far is a derogatory reference to Biden in relatio the economy and a complaint about the quality and quantity of posts in t echo. Ho hum.

He is the one that pointed out the full story behind another's sad tale about someone who went to jail after her probation officer told her it
    was OK to vote. He has made a couple of posts about what is going on in Canada.

Ah, were these addresses to All? I must have missed them. I'm not that up on Canadian politics. I have my hands full with American politics.

Jeff.

• From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Thursday, February 24, 2022 17:03:07
    On 24 Feb 2022, Mike Powell said the following...

There is a small kernel of truth in your claim, though. I live with my f mother-in-law, or rather she lives with my fiancee and I. She lives in o house because she's advanced in years, and we don't charge her rent.

So I guess it only applies if the future mom-in-law forces you to spend most of your time in your basement. :)

I suppose, but here's the kicker: I don't have a basement, either. It seems that they're just not as prevalent in Texas as they are elsewhere. Or maybe it's just Central Texas. I have no idea why it is, but I've never lived in a home with a basement. My grandparents had a "basement," as they called it, but that didn't really count because it was really just the closed-in lower area
    of a coastal home built on stilts. There weren't even any internal stairs connecting the two levels; one had to go outside to go up or down.

Jeff.

• From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Ron L. on Friday, February 25, 2022 10:25:57
    Hello Ron,

They have plenty of time on their hands. No job. Living in their moms' basements. They can't go out during the day because their moms would see them and ask them when they are going to get a job and move out.

I live in the swamp. There are no basements in the swamp. My mom
    went to a better place quite some time ago. So did my pop. I am a
    musician. Haven't had a real job in decades. But I do go out at
    night from time to time. And I always gets my drinks for free.

--Lee

--
    Lovin' beats hatin'.

--- MesNews/1.08.05.00-gb
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Friday, February 25, 2022 15:35:00
    I suppose, but here's the kicker: I don't have a basement, either. It seems that they're just not as prevalent in Texas as they are elsewhere. Or maybe it's just Central Texas. I have no idea why it is, but I've never lived in a home with a basement.

Interesting. Maybe a high water table or something. We have them here.
    Of the houses I grew up in, two were "bi-levels," where the lower level is finished and only slightly more above ground than a basement, and the other
    one had a basement.

Homes in my area often don't have basements. We are far above the river in
    the area I am in, but the water table is still high. You cannot have a basement without a sump pump here. My basement would flood without one,
    while my next door neighbor's home has a spring underneath half of it.
    When it rains, they get water under the house that is pumped out. Their
    house sits slightly higher than mine.

We also have clay soil, so the water only sinks thorugh the top soil and
    then hits the clay, which takes longer to penetrate. Under that is
    limestone. If it rains a lot, walking around my backyard is like walking
    on a sponge.

My grandparents had a "basement," as they called it, but
    that didn't really count because it was really just the closed-in lower area of a coastal home built on stilts. There weren't even any internal stairs connecting the two levels; one had to go outside to go up or down.

I have seen those. There are some homes down near the river here that are built like that.

* SLMR 2.1a * I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Friday, February 25, 2022 17:26:35
    On 25 Feb 2022, Mike Powell said the following...

I suppose, but here's the kicker: I don't have a basement, either. It se that they're just not as prevalent in Texas as they are elsewhere. Or ma it's just Central Texas. I have no idea why it is, but I've never lived home with a basement.

Interesting. Maybe a high water table or something. We have them here. Of the houses I grew up in, two were "bi-levels," where the lower level
    is finished and only slightly more above ground than a basement, and the other one had a basement.

Got me. It is pretty hilly here, though, and the whole area is sitting on top of an aquifer.

Homes in my area often don't have basements. We are far above the river in the area I am in, but the water table is still high. You cannot have
    a basement without a sump pump here. My basement would flood without
    one, while my next door neighbor's home has a spring underneath half of it. When it rains, they get water under the house that is pumped out. Their house sits slightly higher than mine.

As far as I know, we don't have a lot of sump pumps here, either.

We also have clay soil, so the water only sinks thorugh the top soil and then hits the clay, which takes longer to penetrate. Under that is limestone. If it rains a lot, walking around my backyard is like walking on a sponge.

We don't have much clay, but one doesn't have to dig far to get to limestone here. That limestone is responsible for the aforementioned aquifer, and also
    a good number of caves.

My grandparents had a "basement," as they called it, but
    that didn't really count because it was really just the closed-in lower of a coastal home built on stilts. There weren't even any internal stair connecting the two levels; one had to go outside to go up or down.

I have seen those. There are some homes down near the river here that
    are built like that.

The bottom part of their house was semi-finished and served as storage, a garage, and a workshop. As far as I know, it never flooded more than a few inches. They were about three blocks from the seawall in Galveston.

Jeff.

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Saturday, February 26, 2022 10:49:00
    Interesting. Maybe a high water table or something. We have them here. Of the houses I grew up in, two were "bi-levels," where the lower level is finished and only slightly more above ground than a basement, and the other one had a basement.

Got me. It is pretty hilly here, though, and the whole area is sitting on top of an aquifer.

I didn't mention this the first time, but aren't several areas of Texas
    prone to tornadoes?

Homes in my area often don't have basements. We are far above the river in the area I am in, but the water table is still high. You cannot have a basement without a sump pump here. My basement would flood without one, while my next door neighbor's home has a spring underneath half of it. When it rains, they get water under the house that is pumped out. Their house sits slightly higher than mine.

Without basements, you may not need them.

We don't have much clay, but one doesn't have to dig far to get to limestone here. That limestone is responsible for the aforementioned aquifer, and also a good number of caves.

Lots of caves here, too. Before my time here, there was a bar called The
    Cave that was supposedly partially-set into a shallow cave in one of the cliffsides downtown. The locals may have been pulling my leg about it
    being partially in the cave, though. That area has been completely
    redeveloped before I became familiar enough with it to know.

I have seen those. There are some homes down near the river here that are built like that.

The bottom part of their house was semi-finished and served as storage, a garage, and a workshop. As far as I know, it never flooded more than a few inches. They were about three blocks from the seawall in Galveston.

Here, I don't know why they bother. The river in question, the Kentucky,
    is *much* older than the Ohio. When the Ohio floods, it does flood things,
    but it has a lot of room to spread out as the land around it is not very
    high. Here, when the Kentucky floods, those people's homes are down
    between two cliffs (one on either side of the river). So, the water is
    more likely to go "up" instead of to spread out.

A friend used to have one of those houses that was built up on an above
    ground basement. That basement should have been built two stories tall
    instead of one. I helped them move out after the river got up into the
    second story of their living quarters one year. A lot of the locals like having places down there, though.

* SLMR 2.1a * His mind is not for rent / To any god or government
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Saturday, February 26, 2022 10:38:11
    On 26 Feb 2022, Mike Powell said the following...
    Interesting. Maybe a high water table or something. We have them Of the houses I grew up in, two were "bi-levels," where the lower l is finished and only slightly more above ground than a basement, an other one had a basement.

Got me. It is pretty hilly here, though, and the whole area is sitting o of an aquifer.

I didn't mention this the first time, but aren't several areas of Texas prone to tornadoes?

Yes. Not as bad as the midwest, but the danger is not trivial, either. I
    think the plains of North Texas are more prone to them than other parts, but they are certainly not unheard of here in Central Texas. We also have
    flooding when the rivers and creeks overflow due to heavy rainfall, but it is generally limited to certain areas because of the hilly terrain.

Homes in my area often don't have basements. We are far above the in the area I am in, but the water table is still high. You cannot a basement without a sump pump here. My basement would flood witho one, while my next door neighbor's home has a spring underneath hal it. When it rains, they get water under the house that is pumped ou Their house sits slightly higher than mine.

Without basements, you may not need them.

True.

We don't have much clay, but one doesn't have to dig far to get to limes here. That limestone is responsible for the aforementioned aquifer, and a good number of caves.

Lots of caves here, too. Before my time here, there was a bar called The Cave that was supposedly partially-set into a shallow cave in one of the cliffsides downtown. The locals may have been pulling my leg about it being partially in the cave, though. That area has been completely redeveloped before I became familiar enough with it to know.

Interesting!

Here, I don't know why they bother. The river in question, the Kentucky, is *much* older than the Ohio. When the Ohio floods, it does flood things, but it has a lot of room to spread out as the land around it is not very high. Here, when the Kentucky floods, those people's homes are down between two cliffs (one on either side of the river). So, the
    water is more likely to go "up" instead of to spread out.

Yikes. That's definitely a recipe for disaster.

A friend used to have one of those houses that was built up on an above ground basement. That basement should have been built two stories tall instead of one. I helped them move out after the river got up into the second story of their living quarters one year. A lot of the locals like having places down there, though.

Is it a commerce hub, being on the river? Without looking at a map, it seems like the cliffs would prevent the spread of people as well as water.

Jeff.

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Sunday, February 27, 2022 10:24:00
    I didn't mention this the first time, but aren't several areas of Texas prone to tornadoes?

Yes. Not as bad as the midwest, but the danger is not trivial, either. I think the plains of North Texas are more prone to them than other parts, but they are certainly not unheard of here in Central Texas. We also have flooding when the rivers and creeks overflow due to heavy rainfall, but it is generally limited to certain areas because of the hilly terrain.

That could be one reason basements are more popular here. My house was built before, and surived a close call during, the 1974 superoutbreak. My
    impression is that houses built after then usually have some kind of
    basement or accessible (and not cramped) crawl space.

Lots of caves here, too. Before my time here, there was a bar called The
    Cave that was supposedly partially-set into a shallow cave in one of the cliffsides downtown. The locals may have been pulling my leg about it being partially in the cave, though. That area has been completely redeveloped before I became familiar enough with it to know.

Interesting!

When I was younger, we used to visit some of the local caves with school
    and youth groups. One thing that fascinated me was that one of the caves
    we visited in Southern Indiana was considered to be a part of the Mammoth
    Cave chain. It was fascinating to me considering that a rather large
    river, the Ohio, runs between them. :)

I wish I could remember which cave it was. It was either Wyandotte or
    Marengo. I have also been to Squire Boone and Indiana Caverns, and it was
    not either of those that I learned that about.

Here, I don't know why they bother. The river in question, the Kentucky,
    is *much* older than the Ohio. When the Ohio floods, it does flood things, but it has a lot of room to spread out as the land around it is not very high. Here, when the Kentucky floods, those people's homes are down between two cliffs (one on either side of the river). So, the water is more likely to go "up" instead of to spread out.

Yikes. That's definitely a recipe for disaster.

Yeah, right?!!

Is it a commerce hub, being on the river? Without looking at a map, it seems like the cliffs would prevent the spread of people as well as water.

It is the Capital. There is a large valley "bowl" where most of downtown is. The rest of the city is up on the hills that surround the river valley.

IIRC, when the river was navigable, it did some river commerce. They don't keep it navigable past Frankfort now (the locks past here going upriver are closed), and I have not seen any barges through here in I don't know how long.

The bowl was at least partially formed because the river used to flow on
    the opposite side of what is now a large hill. Some natural event (don't remember what) caused it to cut through the opposite side. That was all in prehistoric times and not something recent! :)

* SLMR 2.1a * IF numcooks > .maxcooks THEN;SET V broth = 'spoiled';END
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to MIKE POWELL on Monday, February 28, 2022 14:03:02
    Hello Mike,

Over the last three weeks, this echo has had 11 people post more than
    one time.
    |
    | Jeff and Lee dominate by the sheer number of their posts. All smoke and no
    | fire, all fluff and no nuggets, makes me wonder where'e the beef.
    +-[BF=>> All]

There is no point responding to nonsense.

So you are mostly hearing from people who agree with you.

The sound of one hand clapping. Music to your own ears.

--Lee

--
    Nobody Beats Our Meat

--- MesNews/1.08.05.00-gb
  • From Jeff Thiele@1:387/26 to Mike Powell on Monday, February 28, 2022 09:49:39
    On 27 Feb 2022, Mike Powell said the following...

I didn't mention this the first time, but aren't several areas of T prone to tornadoes?

Yes. Not as bad as the midwest, but the danger is not trivial, either. I think the plains of North Texas are more prone to them than other parts, they are certainly not unheard of here in Central Texas. We also have flooding when the rivers and creeks overflow due to heavy rainfall, but generally limited to certain areas because of the hilly terrain.

That could be one reason basements are more popular here. My house was built before, and surived a close call during, the 1974 superoutbreak.
    My impression is that houses built after then usually have some kind of basement or accessible (and not cramped) crawl space.

There are places around here that sell tornado shelters, basically a big tank with a hatch on top that gets buried in the yard. Sort of like a detached basement, I guess. We don't have one, but I imagine they deal with flooding
    by being completely sealed.

When I was younger, we used to visit some of the local caves with school and youth groups. One thing that fascinated me was that one of the caves we visited in Southern Indiana was considered to be a part of the Mammoth Cave chain. It was fascinating to me considering that a rather large river, the Ohio, runs between them. :)

Same here. The Mammoth Cave system was the inspiration for "Colossal Cave Adventure," the first interactive fiction computer game (1976). Developed on
    a PDP-10, the author used maps and recollections of his own Mammoth Cave explorations to populate it, and the original version had no sorcery or
    dragons or the like. It was an attempt to let people experience Mammoth Cave without having to actually go into it.

Jeff.

• From Shaun Buzza@1:229/110 to Lee Lofaso on Monday, February 28, 2022 11:57:47
    The sound of one hand clapping. Music to your own ears.

Clean your own ears, once in a while. Then, you would hear both hands!

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

* Origin: PiBBS (1:229/110)
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to JEFF THIELE on Monday, February 28, 2022 16:35:00
    There are places around here that sell tornado shelters, basically a big tank with a hatch on top that gets buried in the yard. Sort of like a detached basement, I guess. We don't have one, but I imagine they deal with flooding by being completely sealed.

They sell those here also. Some people put then in the floor of their
    garage. There was a story about the December super tornado where a family, whose house was otherwise leveled, attributed their survival to such a
    shelter.

When I was younger, we used to visit some of the local caves with school and youth groups. One thing that fascinated me was that one of the caves
    we visited in Southern Indiana was considered to be a part of the Mammoth
    Cave chain. It was fascinating to me considering that a rather large river, the Ohio, runs between them. :)

Same here. The Mammoth Cave system was the inspiration for "Colossal Cave Adventure," the first interactive fiction computer game (1976). Developed on a PDP-10, the author used maps and recollections of his own Mammoth Cave explorations to populate it, and the original version had no sorcery or dragons or the like. It was an attempt to let people experience Mammoth Cave without having to actually go into it.

That is pretty awesome! That would be neat to port as a door game. I
    assume it was text based?

I did not know this until very recently, but a juvenile H.P. Lovecraft
    wrote his very first (published, anyway) short story about Mammoth Cave.
    Very suspenseful.

* SLMR 2.1a * Blesss usss and splassh us, taglinesss for my preciousss
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux