• Corruption in the USA

From Björn Felten@2:203/2 to All on Monday, July 25, 2022 07:39:58
    What loophole in 18 U.S.C. 201 have the US public officials found that protects them from being charged with bribery? In particular this part:

(2) being a public official or person selected to be a public official, directly or indirectly, corruptly demands, seeks, receives, accepts, or agrees to receive or accept anything of value personally or for any other person or entity, in return for:

(A) being influenced in the performance of any official act;

What part of the above can be even slightly ambiguous? Anybody who knows? Is it the SCOTUS that's been at it again?

--- Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; sv-SE; rv:1.9.1.16) Gecko/20101125
    * Origin: news://eljaco.se:4119 (2:203/2)
  • From Ward Dossche@2:292/854 to Björn Felten on Monday, July 25, 2022 08:37:06
    What part of the above can be even slightly ambiguous? Anybody who
    knows? Is it the SCOTUS that's been at it again?

Do I have to read the morning newspaper to find they've served their political breadmasters again ?

\%/@rd

--- DB4 - 20220519
    * Origin: Many Glacier - Preserve / Protect / Conserve (2:292/854)
  • From Björn Felten@2:203/2 to Ward Dossche on Monday, July 25, 2022 13:23:44
    Do I have to read the morning newspaper to find they've served their political breadmasters again ?

Well, I asked the question in another social media, and the only reply I got, said that the SCOTUS has worked the last two decades to effectively repeal that law.

So I guess, if the USA will ever want to become a corruption free society, they must first reorganize their SCOTUS.

--- Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; sv-SE; rv:1.9.1.16) Gecko/20101125
  • From Matt Munson@1:218/109 to Bj∩┐╜rn Felten on Tuesday, July 26, 2022 22:26:18
    On Mon Jul 25 00:00:00 2022, BJORN FELTEN(2:203/2) wrote to Ward Dossche <=-

Well, I asked the question in another social media, and the only reply I got, said that the SCOTUS has worked the last two decades to effectively repeal that law.

So I guess, if the USA will ever want to become a corruption free society, they must first > reorganize their SCOTUS.
    Its the way it is.

The court is going to be freaky no matter who controls it. I think it will have another 30+ years of control when DeSantis or Trump squashes Biden or Newsolini in 2024. Thomas and Alito will resign for younger members of the court.

I want a blanket law that phases out politicians over 80 in the Surpreme Court, Presidency/VP, US Senate and congress.

=== TitanMail/winnt v1.1.6

--- WWIV 5.5.1.3261
    * Origin: Inland Utopia BBS * iutopia.duckdns.org:2023 (1:218/109)
  • From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Matt Munson on Wednesday, July 27, 2022 05:50:45
    I want a blanket law that phases out politicians over 80 in the Surpreme Court, Presidency/VP, US Senate and congress.

I feel your pain, but a policy like that won't keep scum like Newsom from becoming George's front-runner. Liberal idiots will support the guy because of all his "success" in California. Liberal idiots look up to him like he's some kind of baby-slaughtering hero.

(Leftists are intimidated by the unborn.)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: CompuBBS | Ashburn VA | cfbbs.scinet-ftn.org (1:275/99)
  • From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Matt Munson on Thursday, July 28, 2022 04:19:14
    Hello Matt,

[..]

So I guess, if the USA will ever want to become a corruption free society, they must first reorganize their SCOTUS.
    Its the way it is.

The court is going to be freaky no matter who controls it.

The Congress can put restraints on what powers it has. And also
    the composition, as to how many can serve at a time. For example,
    US Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT) likes the number 15 ...

I think it will have another 30+ years of control when DeSantis or Trump squashes Biden or Newsolini in 2024.

Don't kid yourself. Mayor Pete will run Trump under the bus in 2024.

Thomas and Alito will resign for younger members of the court.

Thomas will be impeached by the House after his wife Ginni testifies
    before the J6 Select Committee, but will not be removed from office -
    thanks to Joe Manchin.

The pope is 85 years old, and has no plans to retire any time soon.
    Joe Biden is a spry 79 years old, and is gearing up for a second term.
    Nancy Pelosi is 80+ years old, and still Speaker, not ready to retire
    any time soon. Donald Trump is a mere youngster, at age 78, and is
    raring to go, eager to step right in and continue his stint as POTUS.
    All the voters have to do is say the word ...

For Life,
    Lee

--
    Travel should take you places

--- MesNews/1.08.05.00-gb
  • From Ron L.@1:120/616 to Aaron Thomas on Thursday, July 28, 2022 08:27:02
    Aaron Thomas wrote to Matt Munson <=-

(Leftists are intimidated by the unborn.)

I can understand that. Embryos are more intelligent and useful than most Lefties.

... A good marriage outlasts the first box of dental floss.
    ___ MultiMail/Linux v0.52

--- Mystic BBS/QWK v1.12 A47 2021/12/25 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: cold fusion - cfbbs.net - grand rapids, mi (1:120/616)