• POLL not pulling old messages

From Jonathan Martin@3:770/100 to All on Wednesday, January 19, 2022 06:11:05
    I'm setting up a new BBS and working on networked bases following Avon's videos. I managed to get test messages to go out to fsx_gen and receive replies without any problem. But for that base and all the other fsx bases, older messages aren't being pulled.

The Echomail Addresses and Nodes seem configured correctly, and all the bases have Max Msgs = 50000 & Max Msg Age = 365. I don't see anything else in the config that might affect old messages.

For what it's worth, the POLL status looks like this:

16:53:36 1-Info NDL 115200,TCP,CM,MO,IBN,BINKP,PING,IPv6
    16:53:36 1-Info TIME Wed, 19 Jan 2022 05:53:36 +1300
    16:53:36 1-Mailer binkd/1.1a-113/Linux binkp/1.1
    16:53:36 1-Info TRF 0 0
    16:53:36 1-Session ended (0 sent, 0 rcvd, 0 skip)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/11/06 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (3:770/100)
  • From g00r00@1:129/215 to Jonathan Martin on Tuesday, January 18, 2022 13:11:18
    I'm setting up a new BBS and working on networked bases following Avon's videos. I managed to get test messages to go out to fsx_gen and receive replies without any problem. But for that base and all the other fsx bases, older messages aren't being pulled.

Hi Jonathan!

There could be any number of reasons for your troubles and I will do my best to help get it sorted out.

I believe FSX has to use a temporary echomail address when you first join. Have you received your permanent address?

If you have then it could also be that FSX does not automatically send older messages and will only send messages that were posted after the time you have joined. If you are receiving only new messages then you may need to do what is called a "RESCAN" to have it send you historical messages.

I can help you figure that out if we think that is the correct next step!

... No honey, I can't eat with the family. My computer gets lonely!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/01/14 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Sector 7 * Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)
  • From Jonathan Martin@3:770/100 to g00r00 on Wednesday, January 19, 2022 07:46:47
    Hi Jonathan!

Hi!

I believe FSX has to use a temporary echomail address when you first
    join. Have you received your permanent address?

Not yet, although based on Mystic Guy's video tutorials, it didn't seem like that was necessary. Maybe something changed since then, the videos are a bit old.

If you have then it could also be that FSX does not automatically send older messages and will only send messages that were posted after the
    time you have joined. If you are receiving only new messages then you
    may need to do what is called a "RESCAN" to have it send you historical messages.

Ah that makes sense. I see the default_rescan in the [ImportEchoMail] section of the mutil ini.. For the ini I was using it's set to the default of R=250. I'm still new to the architecture here, but my guess is that mis POLL uses something else to request a rescan.

I can help you figure that out if we think that is the correct next step!

If you can think of any low-hanging-fruit for me to check that'd be cool. Otherwise I'll wait until I get my real node address and start real troubleshooting from there.

Thanks!

• From mark lewis@1:3634/12.73 to Jonathan Martin on Tuesday, January 18, 2022 13:51:18
    On 2022 Jan 19 07:46:46, you wrote to g00r00:

Ah that makes sense. I see the default_rescan in the [ImportEchoMail] section of the mutil ini.. For the ini I was using it's set to the default of R=250. I'm still new to the architecture here, but my guess is that mis POLL uses something else to request a rescan.

generally speaking, in FTN networks you have to talk to areafix and tell it to %RESCAN an area... a message to areafix with %HELP should assist more...

i'm not sure what or how QWK might do it other than settings the last scan pointers back...

)\/(ark

"The soul of a small kitten in the body of a mighty dragon. Look on my majesty, ye mighty, and despair! Or bring me catnip. Your choice. Oooh, a shiny thing!"
    ... Nothing draws a crowd like a crowd.
    ---
    * Origin: (1:3634/12.73)
  • From g00r00@1:129/215 to Jonathan Martin on Tuesday, January 18, 2022 14:22:06
    I believe FSX has to use a temporary echomail address when you first join. Have you received your permanent address?

Not yet, although based on Mystic Guy's video tutorials, it didn't seem like that was necessary. Maybe something changed since then, the videos are a bit old.

They are a bit outdated now, its actually a much simpler process in general these days. Mystic Guy and myself may be working on some additional streamlining in the future and I know he has considered making a newer set of videos.

Avon does read this echo I believe, so he might be able to chime in as I am a little out of touch as to how FSX network works these days to join it. But from what I know of the past, you will receive a permanent address and then afterwards you should see mail flowing as you might expect. You'll have the option to import historical messages as well once that happens.

I'll hold off a little to see if he sees this and is able to provide some more detail as its his network. If he doesn't see this I'll do what I can to help you get sorted out.

... THE fIRST sTEP iS tO tAKE oFF tHE cAPS lOCK

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/01/14 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Sector 7 * Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)
  • From Jonathan Martin@3:770/100 to mark lewis on Wednesday, January 19, 2022 08:45:20
    generally speaking, in FTN networks you have to talk to areafix and tell it to %RESCAN an area... a message to areafix with %HELP should assist more...

Ok it's starting to gel. I was thinking mis POLL would/could do that. I'll have to dig in more and see how to use areafix manually (and what to do with the results).

Thanks!

• From Jonathan Martin@3:770/100 to g00r00 on Wednesday, January 19, 2022 10:38:06
    I'll hold off a little to see if he sees this and is able to provide
    some more detail as its his network. If he doesn't see this I'll do
    what I can to help you get sorted out.

I think I'm good now actually. I figured out how to get NetMail to work, sent some rescan commands, and was able to get old messages.

It's crazy how intuitive this stuff was in the 80s and 90s, and now I'm like "duh what?"

Thanks!

• From Jay Harris@1:229/664 to Jonathan Martin on Tuesday, January 18, 2022 20:30:35
    On 19 Jan 2022, Jonathan Martin said the following...

It's crazy how intuitive this stuff was in the 80s and 90s, and now I'm like "duh what?"

I was thinking the same thing when I was getting back into the BBS scene.

How I got any of this (especially back then when the mailer, mail tosser, file tosser & BBS were all separate programs) working without Google or the internet will never cease to amaze me.

Makes me appreciate g00r00 combining all of these into one easy-to-use package even more.

Jay

... I have a new philosophy. I'm only going to dread one day at a time.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Northern Realms (1:229/664)
  • From Paul Hayton@3:770/100 to Jonathan Martin on Wednesday, January 19, 2022 22:36:43
    On 19 Jan 2022 at 10:38a, Jonathan Martin pondered and said...

I'll hold off a little to see if he sees this and is able to provide some more detail as its his network. If he doesn't see this I'll do what I can to help you get sorted out.

I think I'm good now actually. I figured out how to get NetMail to work, sent some rescan commands, and was able to get old messages.

:)

If you are using the test AKA 21:1/999 then you will be (for want of a better term) competing with others also testing using the same AKA. This leads to some folks posting echomail into the fsxNet echos but then wondering why their replies are few/far between. It's usually because someone else testing with /999 has beaten them to mail packets with their replies..

So yep, grab a full node number and then at least all message and/or files traffic you want will be sitting at a HUB waiting for you to poll and
    collect it. The other thing to be aware of is that some echomail areas in fsxNet are not linked to the test /999 AKA (this is by design) if you want those you should consider getting a full node number. :)

If you're following the older videos, sending a netmail to 'Areafix' at 21:1/100 using the password mentioned, is the way to go if you want to send a %rescan command to get older messages.

Hope that helps.

Best, Paul aka Avon