• Scanned areas (for mandatory areas) and list compression (again)

From Björn Wiberg@2:201/137 to g00r00 on Tuesday, July 12, 2022 22:02:52
    Hello again g00r00!

It appears that the latest published build (1.12 A48 (Linux/64 Compiled 2022/07/11 13:00:08)) still has some trouble with "New Scan: Forced" and "QWK Scan: Forced" message bases when selecting message bases to scan if one has List Compression enabled.

(Maybe a regression of some kind, because I think I tested this in the previous 2022/07/11 build and everything seemed OK then?)

For forced scan areas, it selects the next area in the list instead of the one entered.

For example, using (Z) Set Scanned Areas from the message menu (area 1 in the list is the e-mail base, by the way, and has New Scan: Forced and QWK Scan: Forced):

┌─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐ │ ▒ Message Area Scan Settings Local │ └─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘
    Area Scan Name
    ─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
    1 Yes Private Messages (PMs)
    2 No Private Messages (PMs) (SysOp Access)
    3 No Duplicate Messages
    Toggle: [#,#-#], [A]dd/[R]emove All, [?/List, Enter/Quit]:

(entering 1)

┌─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐ │ ▒ Message Area Scan Settings Local │ └─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘
    Area Scan Name
    2 Yes Private Messages (PMs) (SysOp Access)
    3 No Duplicate Messages

(notice that #2 got enabled instead of #1)
    (entering 1 again to see if it switches off the scanning of #2)

Area Scan Name
    2 Yes Private Messages (PMs) (SysOp Access)
    3 No Duplicate Messages

(nope, #2 stayed on)
    (entering #2 to see if that switches off the scanning of #2)

Private Messages (PMs) (SysOp Access) will NOT be scanned in new message scans.

Area Scan Name
    2 No Private Messages (PMs) (SysOp Access)
    3 No Duplicate Messages

(yes, at least that switched off #2)

The same thing happens from the (O) Offline (QWK) Mail menu when using (Z) Set QWK Scanned Areas from there. (I guess there it's the QWK Scan: Forced setting that comes into play, in conjunction with list compression.)

Additionally, when using (Z) Set Scanned Areas from the message menu and entering 1 to try to disable #1, this incorrectly enables #2 for the QWK scanning as well, for some reason.

However, after that, when using (Z) Set Scanned Areas from the message menu and entering 2 to try to disable #2, this correctly does *not* affect the QWK scanning.

So it's like the message scan setting might affect the QWK scan setting under certain circumstances, but not the other way around.

To summarize, it appears that when trying to *disable* a New Scan: Forced message base from the message menu, this incorrectly *enables* the next message base, and *both* for mail scans and QWK scans.

Best regards
    Björn

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/11 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Star Collision BBS, Uppsala, Sweden (2:201/137)
  • From Björn Wiberg@2:201/137 to g00r00 on Monday, July 18, 2022 21:02:39
    Hello again, g00r00!

On 12 Jul 2022, Björn Wiberg said the following...

It appears that the latest published build (1.12 A48 (Linux/64 Compiled 2022/07/11 13:00:08)) still has some trouble with "New Scan: Forced" and "QWK Scan: Forced" message bases when selecting message bases to scan if one has List Compression enabled.

I have now updated to the A48 compiled 2022/07/15 20:30:18 (the new flag editor is very nice!), but unfortunately it still has some problems with this.

In this version, any attempt to disable a mandatory scan message base from the message menu or the offline menu, respectively, results in the next entry being toggled in the scan settings of both the current menu and the other menu. So the list of message bases to scan now affect each other (in both directions) for the special case of mandatory message bases.

Just thought I'd report that this is different. =)

Hoping you'll be able to fix that issue, as the list compression is a very nice feature.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards
    Björn

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/15 (Linux/64)
  • From g00r00@1:129/215 to Björn Wiberg on Monday, July 18, 2022 18:16:25
    In this version, any attempt to disable a mandatory scan message base
    from the message menu or the offline menu, respectively, results in the next entry being toggled in the scan settings of both the current menu
    and the other menu. So the list of message bases to scan now affect each other (in both directions) for the special case of mandatory message bases.

I may need steps to reproduce because I don't seem to be able to reproduce a problem when I was testing.

I have now updated to the A48 compiled 2022/07/15 20:30:18 (the new flag editor is very nice!), but unfortunately it still has some problems with this.

Glad you like the flag editor :)

... Users come in two types: Those who have lost data, and those who will.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/15 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Sector 7 * Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)
  • From Björn Wiberg@2:201/137 to g00r00 on Tuesday, July 19, 2022 19:25:38
    Hello g00r00!

Thank you for your message!

In this version, any attempt to disable a mandatory scan message base from the message menu or the offline menu, respectively, results in t next entry being toggled in the scan settings of both the current men

I may need steps to reproduce because I don't seem to be able to
    reproduce a problem when I was testing.

Sure! I've been doing some experimenting here:

export mysticbbs=/tmp/mystic
    rm -rf /tmp/mystic
    ./install auto /tmp/mystic
    cd /tmp/mystic

# This is needed if one doesn't already have a users.dat file
    # (otherwise ./mystic -newuser will just return FALSE later)
    touch data/users.dat

# Maybe ./mystic -newuser should create users.dat if it doesn't exist?
    # Just as entering the User Editor does.

./mystic -newuser handle=guest name="Guest" pass=guest level=20
    ./mystic -cfg

Editors --> Message Base Editor --> 1 Local BBS E-mail -->
    List ACS: (empty, so that it can be listed)
    New Scan: Forced
    QWK Scan: Forced

Copy (/C) message base with ID 1 and set:
    Name: Local BBS E-mail (SysOp Access)
    New Scan: No
    QWK Scan: No

./mystic -l
    Login as "guest" with password "guest"
    M for Message Menu
    Z for Set Scanned Bases

┌─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐ │ ▒ New Scan Settings Default Message Group │ └─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘
    ## Scan Message Base Name ## Scan Message Base Name
    1 Yes Local BBS E-mail 2 No Local BBS E-mail (SysOp Acces
    3 No General Messages 4 No FTN Netmail ───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────── Toggle: [#-#,#], Select [A]dd All, [R]emove All, [?/List]: 1

┌─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐ │ ▒ New Scan Settings Default Message Group │ └─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘
    ## Scan Message Base Name ## Scan Message Base Name
    1 Yes Local BBS E-mail 2 Yes Local BBS E-mail (SysOp Acces
    3 No General Messages 4 No FTN Netmail ───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────── Toggle: [#-#,#], Select [A]dd All, [R]emove All, [?/List]:

Notice how 2 incorrectly got selected.
    Trying to turn it off with "1" doesn't work, but "2" does turn it off again.

Same behavior for QWK (O for Offline Mail, S for Set QWK Scanned Bases).

Also, when the scanning of 2 incorrectly gets turned on from the Message Menu, it also gets turned on for the QWK scans.
    And vice versa, when the scanning of 2 incorrectly gets turned on from the Offline Mail menu, it also gets turned on for conventional scans.

After some testing, it appears that the underlying cause might be that both message bases -- despite having different IDs -- have the same File Name ("email"), and the scanning status gets saved to the same "email.scn" file?

So this is kind of an edge case, due to the fact that I want to have a "clone" of the e-mail message base (and the netmail message bases) to be able to monitor e-mail activity if needed, and, in the case of e-mails, to see what messages Mystic posts (e.g. hackwarns and the like). The netmail message bases show the same behavior as the e-mail message base does.

I'm not sure if anything can be done about this -- except perhaps for that entering 1 shouldn't actually turn on 2, and the "conventional" mail scans shouldn't affect the QWK scans (as those scans are intended to be separate from each other)?

I'm guessing that the toggling of scanning is in practice done by fetching the File Name of the message base and then toggling the scan flag in the corresponding .scn file for all entries displayed in the list, in order, from the number one enters and to the end of the list?

Perhaps then the toggling could be aborted as soon as a "forbidden" change has been detected (trying to turn off a forced scan), one entry has been toggled, or there are no more entries left in the list to check?

Just guessing, and just suggestions, if any of them would be feasible (i.e. not too much work). :)

As always, many thanks in advance!

Best regards
    Björn

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/15 (Linux/64)