• bbs email replys

From Paul Hayton@3:770/100 to g00r00 on Friday, April 29, 2022 13:48:56
    Hi g00r00

An idea for a new feature occurred to me.

When replying to BBS email (more specifically new user emails when people sign up) it would be great to be able to pull in a templated reply that I could just modify a little to suit each reply I give.

I find myself often repeating the same info to a new user in different ways and lament I can't quickly reuse some of the info I posted in an earlier reply to a new user.

Could a text file(s) be allowed for that could be selected as a reply from the internal editor? This may suit a range of options spanning replies to new users or other repeated info that the author wishes to draw from when responding to someone using BBS email.

Pondering further, such a feature for echomail and netmail replies using the full screen editor would be nice also.

Just a thought.

Cheers, Paul aka Avon

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (3:770/100)
  • From g00r00@1:129/215 to Paul Hayton on Sunday, May 01, 2022 23:36:21
    Could a text file(s) be allowed for that could be selected as a reply
    from the internal editor? This may suit a range of options spanning

What you can do if you are logged in locally is /U which will allow you to type in a text file to load into the editor so you can load it that way. If you create 'newuser.txt' in your root Mystic directory you can /U and type "newuser.txt" to get that into the editor.

You can load up ANSI files too or pipe color files etc if you wanted a more colorful or artistic response.

I am trying to think of how we can expand on that though, maybe a SysOp-only function that could load a .txt file from anywhere so that you wouldn't have to type the name.

... Multitasking: Reading in the bathroom

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/04/26 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Sector 7 * Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)
  • From Paul Hayton@3:770/100 to g00r00 on Friday, May 06, 2022 14:46:53
    On 01 May 2022 at 11:36p, g00r00 pondered and said...

Could a text file(s) be allowed for that could be selected as a reply from the internal editor? This may suit a range of options spanning

What you can do if you are logged in locally is /U which will allow you
    to type in a text file to load into the editor so you can load it that way. If you create 'newuser.txt' in your root Mystic directory you can
    /U and type "newuser.txt" to get that into the editor.

Yep thanks, I'd thought of that also but I guess I was being lazy and wonder if there could be a menu option when you invoke / from the editor :)

I am trying to think of how we can expand on that though, maybe a SysOp-only function that could load a .txt file from anywhere so that
    you wouldn't have to type the name.

could be the go, not sure.

I'm showing my ignorance but could the windows console area in config and the marco options for F1 etc. be used for this. I've never really understood that section of the config and if it applies to all versions of Mystic (windows vs linux) ?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (3:770/100)
  • From g00r00@1:129/215 to Paul Hayton on Friday, May 06, 2022 09:41:12
    Yep thanks, I'd thought of that also but I guess I was being lazy and wonder if there could be a menu option when you invoke / from the editor :)

Yep we are on the same page there and I can see how that would be useful, so lets get that done (or at least on the to-do list).

I just wanted to make sure you knew about th /U option!

... I don't have the time for a hobby. I have a computer.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/04/26 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Sector 7 * Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)