• RPi & Python 3

From Travis Mehrer@1:134/303 to All on Friday, March 18, 2022 10:46:17
    I'm hoping someone can help point me in the right direction.

I'm trying to get Python 3 working on Mystic (A48 PreAlpha from 2022-03-11) without much luck.

When executing even the included test script, the user is immediately disconnected from the BBS with the below in the error.log:

MYSTIC 001 An error has occured: EAccessViolation Access violation

Under Configuration >> General Settings >> Python3 Library I have set: /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libpython3.8.so.1.0

I have checked that this file exists. If I leave this blank Mystic BBS fails to find Python3 at all.

Raspberry Pi OS Bullseye comes with Python 3.9 (3.9.2) by default so I've installed Python 3.8 (3.8.7). I've also tried pointing to libpython3.9.so.1.0 but the results are the same.

Anyone else have Python 3 working on the Pi? Any suggestions for what I should try?

Thanks!

... Error 3032 - Recursion error. See error 3032.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/03/11 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: CaNerDUH BBS (1:134/303)
  • From g00r00@1:129/215 to Travis Mehrer on Monday, March 21, 2022 13:14:49
    When executing even the included test script, the user is immediately disconnected from the BBS with the below in the error.log:

Unfortunately I do not have a Pi that I can install the latest OS on at the moment to test with so it will be a little more difficult to look into this.

If you run a "ldconfig -p | grep libpython" what do you see?

I'll see if I can find a way to get access to Bullseye so I can test and get the Wiki updated with any findings (I just noticed I haven't updated the Wiki with notes since the 2.7 release).

... The caterpillar does all the work but the butterfly gets all the publicity

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/03/14 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Sector 7 * Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)
  • From Travis Mehrer@1:134/303 to g00r00 on Tuesday, March 22, 2022 19:05:59
    If you run a "ldconfig -p | grep libpython" what do you see?

libpython3.9.so.1.0 (libc6,hard-float) => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libpython3.9.so.1.0

libpython3.9.so (libc6,hard-float) => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libpython3.9.so

libpython3.8.so.1.0 (libc6,hard-float) => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libpython3.8.so.1.0

libpython3.8.so (libc6,hard-float) => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libpython3.8.so

libpython2.7.so.1.0 (libc6,hard-float) => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libpython2.7.so.1.0

I'll see if I can find a way to get access to Bullseye so I can test and get the Wiki updated with any findings (I just noticed I haven't updated the Wiki with notes since the 2.7 release).

Any advice you're able to offer is much appreciated. For the time being I'm able to make do with Python 2.7. I'm just more familiar with 3 so I wanted to give it a shot.

Thank you for your reply!

... DOS=HIGH? I knew it was on something...

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/03/11 (Raspberry Pi/32)
  • From Travis Mehrer@1:134/303 to g00r00 on Thursday, March 31, 2022 11:51:36
    Unfortunately I do not have a Pi that I can install the latest OS on at the moment to test with so it will be a little more difficult to look
    into this.

I just wanted to thank you again for your response on this and also let you know that you can probably ignore it.

I'm not sure what has caused things to go sideways but I first tried Mystic with a fresh install of Raspberry Pi OS Bullseye. Python3 worked out of the box, no need to point it to libpython3.8.so.1.0.

I then installed mystic into a new directory on the same RPi as my existing board. Again Python 3 worked out of the box. I'm not sure what is broken in my main board but I think I'll just try migrating my BBS to a fresh install of Mystic and see if I can sort things out that way.

It's possible that because I had my board on a drive that was using LVM then linked the directory back to /mystic that something went awry there. I'll play around with a few different scenarios and see if I can figure out how I broke things.

Thanks again!

... A .GIF is worth a thousand .TXT.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/03/26 (Raspberry Pi/32)
  • From Jay Harris@1:229/664 to Travis Mehrer on Thursday, March 31, 2022 14:40:31
    On 31 Mar 2022, Travis Mehrer said the following...

LOL, consider this stolen. ;)

Jay

... New Mail not found. Start whine-pout sequence? (Y/N)

* Origin: Northern Realms (1:229/664)
  • From Shaun Buzza@1:229/110 to Jay Harris on Thursday, March 31, 2022 15:30:32

LOL, consider this stolen. ;)

Dude. You need to check your BBS's config. That's actually a pretty common tagline...

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

... This virus requires Microsoft Windows 3.x

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: PiBBS (1:229/110)
  • From g00r00@1:129/215 to Travis Mehrer on Thursday, March 31, 2022 15:26:36
    Unfortunately I do not have a Pi that I can install the latest OS on TM> g0>
    the moment to test with so it will be a little more difficult to TM> g0> look
    into this.

I just wanted to thank you again for your response on this and also let you know that you can probably ignore it.

Thank you for the update.

I don't know if this would be a factor in your case, but in the past I have struggled having multiple Python installations in the same Linux VMware, and I have completed destroyed installations by trying to install different versions of Python on top of or to replace what the OS ships with.

I wouldn't consider myself an expert in that area though, but I have found it to be tricky to touch Python's default installations without blowing up
    things badly enough that I end up completely reinstalling Ubuntu.

... If at first you don't succeed, blame your parents!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/03/26 (Windows/64)
  • From Travis Mehrer@1:134/303 to g00r00 on Saturday, April 16, 2022 12:58:31
    I don't know if this would be a factor in your case, but in the past I have struggled having multiple Python installations in the same Linux VMware, and I have completed destroyed installations by trying to
    install different versions of Python on top of or to replace what the OS ships with.

I wouldn't consider myself an expert in that area though, but I have
    found it to be tricky to touch Python's default installations without blowing up things badly enough that I end up completely reinstalling Ubuntu.

Thank you again, for your reply g00r00! So, FINALLY after a little pulling out of hair, I managed to figure out what is going on.

After a new install on the same Pi started out working, and then failed after I started migrating my menus to the new board; it struck me.

In my prelogin menu I have a simple python2 script running. And it was the mixture of Python2 and 3 that was breaking things for me. After fixing a text file my script was importing (had some sort of broken UTF-8 enconding in it) I was able to run this script as Python3 and then continue to use Python 3.

TL;DR: Mixing Python2 and Python3 in Mystic (RPi OS Bullseye) can break things. Lesson learned, now I can finally move on with Python3 and Mystic.

blade

... User Error: Replace user and hit any key to continue...

• From g00r00@1:129/215 to Travis Mehrer on Tuesday, April 19, 2022 14:59:18
    TL;DR: Mixing Python2 and Python3 in Mystic (RPi OS Bullseye) can break things. Lesson learned, now I can finally move on with Python3 and
    Mystic.

Thanks for the follow up. Once I have a chance to get back working in a Pi install again I will be sure to test this and see what I can figure out!

... Consultant: A person who makes good on a salesman's promises!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/04/03 (Windows/64)
  • From Daniel Stephens@3:770/3 to All on Tuesday, February 07, 2023 20:34:01
    Hello and thank you for creating this wonderful BBS!

I'm in the process of building a front end to a Node.js API for keeping track of all of my ICs and other active electronics. I want to be able to access it from my Amiga 1000, and so I've decided that Mystic BBS is the best option for this. I already use
    Mystic for moving text files back and forth from WP 4.1 on my Amiga to NeoOffice on my Mac and it works great.

Anyway, I am using the Python3 module 'requests' for handling HTTP requests to the Node.js API on an Ubuntu machine on the interwebs.

However, simply importing this module into a Mystic Python3 script causes an error to show up in the error.log:
    EAccessViolation Access violation

I am running Mystic version 1.12 A48
    It's running on a Raspi 4 with the latest Raspbian
    It's running Python 3.9.2

The python script is simply:
    import mystic_bbs as bbs
    import requests
    bbs.writeln("Hello from Python 3")
    bbs.writeln("We have imported requests module")
    bbs.writeln("|PA")

The script runs fine until it ends at which point it abruptly ends the connection. It even properly executes the |PA pause; but as soon as a key is pressed the connection terminates.

If I comment out the "import requests" line, the script runs without terminating the connection and there is no error in the log file.

Any help would be most appreciated.

ps: I did do a fresh install of everything and tried with Python 2.7. The same script did not cause the connection to terminate, however it did give me a RunTimeWarning of an API version mismatch for module mystic_bbs.

Thank you!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: Agency HUB, Dunedin - New Zealand | Fido<>Usenet Gateway (3:770/3)
  • From Nicola Mettimano@2:335/601 to Daniel Stephens on Sunday, February 12, 2023 23:09:46
    Hello, same problem here with my VM under headless Ubuntu server.
    Here only Py3 ai used but same error, i don't know how to solve, do you have news?

-------------------------------------------------
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: REtrogaming ACTivities (REACT) BBS (2:335/601)
  • From Daniel Stephens@3:770/3 to Nicola Mettimano on Monday, February 13, 2023 19:18:14
    On Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 5:20:23 PM UTC-5, Nicola Mettimano wrote:
    Here only Py3 ai used but same error, i don't know how to solve, do you have news?

No, I’ve not found a solution. I reinstalled everything from the OS up and only installed Python 3.9 and I still get the error: EAccessViolation Access violation

And while my script runs perfectly, as soon as it ends the telnet session closes,and the error above appears. It’s really quite strange.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: Agency HUB, Dunedin - New Zealand | Fido<>Usenet Gateway (3:770/3)
  • From Nicola Mettimano@2:335/601 to Daniel Stephens on Tuesday, February 14, 2023 12:45:45
    No, I’ve not found a solution. I reinstalled everything from the OS up and only installed Python 3.9 and I still get the error:

that's what I was about to try...

And while my script runs perfectly, as soon as it ends the telnet session closes,and the error above appears. It’s really quite strange.

weird....can't use python with mystic, this is terrible news...

-------------------------------------------------
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: REtrogaming ACTivities (REACT) BBS (2:335/601)
  • From g00r00@1:129/215 to Daniel Stephens on Tuesday, February 14, 2023 13:14:57
    Here only Py3 ai used but same error, i don't know how to solve, do you news?

No, I’ve not found a solution. I reinstalled everything from the OS up and only installed Python 3.9 and I still get the error:

Their problem does not appear to be the same issue, just off the little knowledge I have. Their setup sounds like an environment issue and yours I don't think is.

Since your script is running and throwing an access issue when closing, its more likely to be a bug. As you may or may not know,
    the current version for 64-bit ARM is the first release of it, so that makes it even more likely to be an issue with Mystic. I can only assume when you say latest Pi OS that means you're using 64-bit OS and Mystic 64-bit for ARM.

The reason I hadn't responded yet is because I haven't had time to get my 64-bit Pi out to see if I can reproduce the issue on my own.

... Read messages, not taglines

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2023/01/31 (Windows/64)
  • From Travis Mehrer@1:134/303 to Daniel Stephens on Tuesday, February 14, 2023 15:02:25
    I'm not certain this is related but I've noticed similar issues with Python 3 in Mystic. Particularly when my script is making any sort of external http(s) connection.

A while back I was writing my own "This Day in History" type script. Everything worked fine until the script finished and then the connection would get dropped from the BBS. In the end it was easier to make cron job that downloaded the history to a file and then open it via open().

More recently while trying to use feedparser to read RSS I've noticed the same behavior: once the script finished, my session gets disconnected.

I haven't had time to dig into it more but I suspect if I make a cronjob to save the feed as an XML file and then open() the file and work with it, I suspect it will work. It's not the cleanest way and perhaps not a final solution it's a possible work-around for the time being.

blade

... Error, no Keyboard - Press F1 to Continue.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Raspberry Pi/32)