• Telnet Connection Problem

From Mike Dippel@3:640/1116 to ALL on Friday, February 11, 2022 15:47:06
    Lately, I am unable to connect to my BBS via Telnet from my home computer. I can,
    however, connect to it if I log onto one of my servers and telnet or http from that remote
    computer.

I checked my log files and the home computer's IP address is not blocked. This is a
    recent occurrence although sometime in the past I could connect until I just lost the
    connection somehow.

Is anyone else having a problem with telnet or http connections? Again, I can reach it
    from other computers, just not from my own. Maybe I can whitelist the IP address?

I'm running version A47 I believe.

Mike Dippel
    mystic-hobbies.us
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v7.0
    * Origin: The Hobby Line! BBS (3:640/1116)
  • From Tristan Greaves@2:250/11 to Mike Dippel on Friday, February 11, 2022 21:18:12
    Re: Telnet Connection Problem
    By: Mike Dippel to ALL on Fri Feb 11 2022 03:47 pm

Lately, I am unable to connect to my BBS via Telnet from my home computer. I can,
    however, connect to it if I log onto one of my servers and telnet or http from that remote
    computer.

I checked my log files and the home computer's IP address is not blocked. This is a
    recent occurrence although sometime in the past I could connect until I just lost the
    connection somehow.

In all these cases, are the computers all within your home network?

Can you detail the topology a bit more?

Tristan.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: Extricate BBS - bbs.extricate.org (2:250/11)
  • From Al@1:153/757 to Mike Dippel on Friday, February 11, 2022 13:33:26
    Is anyone else having a problem with telnet or http connections? Again, I can reach it from other computers, just not from my own.

I have that issue too, at times. If I am trying to go to an address inside my own lan I will offten use 192.168.0.10 or whatever the address is. It won't work from the outside, but works from the inside.

Maybe I can whitelist the IP address?

You have to be able to reach the destination before a whitelist will do anything for you.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757)
  • From Chris Hizny@1:218/860 to Mike Dippel on Friday, February 11, 2022 21:58:12
    Lately, I am unable to connect to my BBS via Telnet from my home
    computer. I can,

I don't know what provider you have, but if you have Comcast, their cable modems have software which detect "threats" and will drop connections to any system considered a "threat."

I triggered this by portscanning one of my own Digital Ocean droplets to make sure the Firewall was behaving properly. Then I lost connection with the droplet, although I could get it via tor, or in the method you describe.

Note that, I was scanning the remote server *from* home -- the packets bouncing back to the port scanner were what tripped this "feature."

I had to actually write to Comcast and tell them to knock it off. This is part of some new home security threat detection thing. I was able to reconnect in a few days. Comcast never wrote back; I don't know if the block expired naturally or they did something on their side.

I mention it only because it was quite recently I found myself wrestling with this. It was irksome; I get why they think it's a good idea but probably like most here I don't want or need their help in this regard.

If you're not using Comcast, well, forget everything I just said :)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Shipwrecks & Shibboleths [San Francisco, CA - USA] (1:218/860)
  • From Rob Swindell@1:103/705 to Mike Dippel on Friday, February 11, 2022 14:32:58
    Re: Telnet Connection Problem
    By: Mike Dippel to ALL on Fri Feb 11 2022 03:47 pm

Lately, I am unable to connect to my BBS via Telnet from my home computer.

Make sure your gateway/router supports hairpinning https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hairpinning

If it doesn't, then you'll need to use your BBS's *private* IP address when inside your private network.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Rush quote #78:
    Today's Tom Sawyer, he gets high on you, the space he invades, gets by on you Norco, CA WX: 84.9°F, 18.0% humidity, 7 mph S wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Mickey@1:229/307 to Mike Dippel on Friday, February 11, 2022 21:18:19
    On 11 Feb 2022, Mike Dippel said the following...

Lately, I am unable to connect to my BBS via Telnet from my home
    computer. I can,
    however, connect to it if I log onto one of my servers and telnet or
    http from that remote
    computer.

Mike, not sure if youre using Mystic BBS or not but,
    Have you tried (in a shell) Mystic -l to log-in locally?

Mick Manning
    -(< BluesNET - The Musician's Network >)-

... Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/01/28 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Central Ontario BluesNET (1:229/307)
  • From Mike Dippel@3:640/1118 to Tristan Greaves on Friday, February 11, 2022 22:01:22
    Lately, I am unable to connect to my BBS via Telnet from my home comp I can,
    however, connect to it if I log onto one of my servers and telnet or from that remote
    computer.

I checked my log files and the home computer's IP address is not bloc This is a
    recent occurrence although sometime in the past I could connect until just lost the
    connection somehow.

In all these cases, are the computers all within your home network?

Can you detail the topology a bit more?

Tristan.

I decided to add my home IP address to the whitelist, and I am now able to connect. Looks like the problem is solved. Yes, it was the home netowrk because I was able to connect with my phones network but not when I was connected to the WiFi.

All seems well now.

Mike Dippel
    mystic-hobbies.us

... That's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/25 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Mystic Hobbies BBS (3:640/1118)
  • From Mike Dippel@3:640/1118 to Mickey on Friday, February 11, 2022 23:03:58
    computer.

Mike, not sure if youre using Mystic BBS or not but,
    Have you tried (in a shell) Mystic -l to log-in locally?

Mick Manning

Yes, v47 It's working now after I put my IP address in the whitelist. The system runs on a remote server, so I can't log in locally. But, if I RDP into the server, local login works as well.

Mike Dippel

... Error, no Keyboard - Press F1 to Continue.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/25 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Mystic Hobbies BBS (3:640/1118)
  • From Tristan Greaves@2:250/11 to Mike Dippel on Saturday, February 12, 2022 07:58:00
    Mike Dippel wrote to Tristan Greaves <=-

I decided to add my home IP address to the whitelist, and I am now able
    to connect. Looks like the problem is solved. Yes, it was the home netowrk because I was able to connect with my phones network but not
    when I was connected to the WiFi.

Nice. Glad it worked out!

If it's something that was working and then stopped, is your home computer using DHCP? Your lease may have expired, allocating you a fresh IP, which was not on your allow list for connecting.

Tristan.

=== MultiMail/Mac v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: Extricate BBS - bbs.extricate.org (2:250/11)