• Money (was: Liver and death)

From JOE MACKEY@1:135/392 to GEORGE POPE on Saturday, January 29, 2022 08:43:26
    CP wrote --

Like my buddy's dad who found a suitcase containing $20K under a
    garbage dumpster next to the grease dumpster he was emptying. Some thing told him to look in his rearview mirror one last time as he was pulling out forward, & he saw the handle. He didn't turn it in

My luck it would mob or drug money and they would come looking for me. :)

I've never been pickpocketed, but I used to wear pants tight enough so I'd feel my wallet even being nudged from the right-back pocket where I kept it (& where I could easily whip around to my right to nab the perp.

The friend I was staying with in NYC told me to keep my wallet in a front pocket, since pickpockets are active in large crowds.
    When I was in the Navy we had no real pockets in our blues. One's wallet
    was looped over the waist, so half was visible. That was generally done in
    the front with the jumper covering it.

But its such a bother having to replace bank cards,

Forgot to mention last time.
    I keep little in my chequing account, so if my card were lifted they
    wouldn't get much. The bulk of my bank money is in savings.
    With online banking I just move the amount I need from savings to
    chequing if I'm going to make some (to me) large purchase or doing a lot of shopping.

Good to have a stash or three because you just never know.. .

I used to have a fantasy of owning a pair of magic pants.
    However much money I needed was in my pocket, no more, no less.
    If I were buying something for a quarter, I had a quarter in my pocket.
    If I were buy something that cost $2,892.31 (for example) I had exactly $2.892.31 in my pocket.

Hiding it in plain sight is considered the best way, like how New York diamond jewelers walk around with $100K in diamonds in a grubby paper lunch bag

Yep.
    Someone snatching a bag might wind up with a bag full of diamonds or a
    stale baloney sandwich. :)
    Joe
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.0pr5
    * Origin: Fidonet Since 1991 www.doccyber.org bbs.docsplace.org (1:135/392)
  • From George Pope@1:153/757 to Joe Mackey on Monday, January 31, 2022 14:40:14
    The friend I was staying with in NYC told me to keep my wallet in a front pocket, since pickpockets are active in large crowds.

I've heard of that in most any big city, especially one with many international tourists or any kind of big crowd event going on.

When I was in the Navy we had no real pockets in our blues. One's wallet
    was looped over the waist, so half was visible. That was generally done in the front with the jumper covering it.

Someone trying tvo lift that is as likely to get a throat full of teeth, as a wallet, eh?

Forgot to mention last time.
    I keep little in my chequing account, so if my card were lifted they
    wouldn't get much. The bulk of my bank money is in savings.
    With online banking I just move the amount I need from savings to
    chequing if I'm going to make some (to me) large purchase or doing a lot of shopping.

That works -- I have no money, not by artifice, just because. . . so I worry not. & I know my bank's number by heart, even in this age of dialing via contacts, so can easily cancel all my cards.

I used to have a fantasy of owning a pair of magic pants.
    However much money I needed was in my pocket, no more, no less.
    If I were buying something for a quarter, I had a quarter in my pocket.
    If I were buy something that cost $2,892.31 (for example) I had exactly $2.892.31 in my pocket.

I've fantasized that, too, after hearing of the concept in an old joke. . . with the punchline usually involving a little head, or "Of course that genie was deaf, you think I asked him for a million DUCKS?!"

Hiding it in plain sight is considered the best way, like how New York >diamond jewelers walk around with $100K in diamonds in a grubby paper lunch ba
    Yep.
    Someone snatching a bag might wind up with a bag full of diamonds or a
    stale baloney sandwich.

I guess you're not likely to risk a mugging charge or a deadly self defence for those odds, when most will be a lunch, eh?

Sop nice to bnot have to wory about consequences for criminal actions, eh?

Hooray for understanding that it's safer & just as easy to earn the money to buy the things you want.

I have no money, usually, but I can grab a grand or two from my line of credit that's very low interest & a fixed $50/month repayment, if & when needed. Typically I grabe a hun or two, if some thing comes up. . . but usually I prefer to plan to have exactly what's needed in hand &/or in chequing. . .

We're getting a lot of stuff, including groceries, online, especially given covid & the idiots coughing onto you in public!

I stay home when I'm sick -- even before covid -- I'd rather be home healing than out making it worse. . . if I had to go out, I always wore a mask. . .

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757)