• A 1978 music memory, & reminiscing

From George Pope@1:153/757 to All on Tuesday, March 22, 2022 13:23:36
    The year was 1978: https://youtu.be/7hx4gdlfamo

Always loved this song --good music, good voice, & the lyrics take you away to that evening on that train, listening to the old guy give life advice, couched as a poker metaphor.

I wonder, though, were the characters in the song, paying passengers on that train, or were they hobos sitting together in a boxcar? I think the lyrics could take it either way. I can picture hobos more than paying passengers in listening to the leadup to the advice section.

The elder drinking the youngster's last swallow of whiskey -- that was cold. I can't help but wonder if the elder then lifted one butt cheek & ripped one that blew straw out the door. . .

Young people, listen to this song -- it's 100% bang on for what you need to know if you don't live the sheltered life of the born wealthy.

I left home at 12 & wandered for ten years before settling down & working & renting an actual home instead of never knowing where(or if) I'd sleep on a given night. Was roaming mostly aimlessly, but still always recalled this song, I first heard on my red 1970's Radio Shack transister radio on a black wrist strap.

This song did a lot to keep me sane & alive during those ten years, & served me well when I discovered I was good at poker. (but not so good I could make it a career, so I knew enough to walk away instead.)

Thank you, Kenny!

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-6
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757)