• Cats and sound effects (was: Storage)

From JOE MACKEY@1:135/392 to GEORGE POPE on Saturday, January 22, 2022 08:03:40
    CP wrote --

damn, sorry. . . I hads a perfect pet, too -- Punkin, also passed on. . . I've never missed a pet so much -- she was the pefect blend of cat, dog, playful, & cuddly, & alweays knew which to beat any given time.. .

Blanche was the same way. She was the only cat I knew that came when
    called.
    She was indoor/outdoor cat.
    When evening came she would be in back and I would go out on the back
    steps (I live on the third floor) and call out "Blanche!" She would turn to look and I just had to say "Beddy" and up the stairs she ran.
    Her adopted sister Molly McGee (named after the radio character) could
    care less about anything past the apartment door.
    Her "sister" Muffy, whom I had before Molly, was the same.
    I would take Muffy on car trips with me, sans carrier. She put up a fuss
    and would lay under the front seat mewing all the time. She had food, water and her box on the floor of the back seat.
    Once I stopped at a roadside picnic area in Ohio after visiting a cousin
    in the Detroit area. She flew out of the car and headed for the woods and
    tall grass.
    After about a half hour I called and called and no reply.
    Finally I said loud enough for her to hear, (she hadn't gone far, never
    did) "Well, I can't find her, I guess I'll just have to leave her here to
    fend for herself. Hope some big animal doesn't eat her" and slowly walked towards the car. She came out of th
    When in the car if on the highway she was under the seat. But in stop
    and go traffic she would get between my feet and the pedals. :)

When I play poker(& other games)

I've never been good at card games, other than solitaire. :)

Pretty much as TV began -- they grabbed the best of radio & put them to work

There was a joke in the late '40s that vaudeville didn't really die, it
    just moved to television.
    Some shows were not adaptable to tv simply due to the the constraints of
    the time. It was much cheaper and easier to broadcast a live show than a filmed one. (Tape didn't come along until the late '50s).
    Some shows were kinoscoped where basically a film camera was placed in
    front of a monitor so whatever went over the air was filmed. Those are the ones we have to day. The quality wasn't always the best but with all sorts
    of inference (snow, wavy lines, e
    On radio a few words set the scene, but on tv they had to provide the
    scenes.
    On radio: I'm going to walk over to that door and see if it opens, with footsteps heard.
    On tv: the actor walks across the room and opens the door.
    There is a reason radio was "the theatre of the mind".

I'm especiallyl awed by those giys who could make ANT sound effect, uwithout technology, on demand, to make a radio show (whether a short comedy, or a longer story("The Shadow" I used to listen to in the '70s, & others.)

Sound men were the unsung heroes of radio.
    While actors had the words written out for them and they provided the inflection etc, the sound men had to come up with the sounds that were needed. Some were standard sounds everyone used (ball bearings in a bowl for
    breaking glass, rattling a thin metal
    And there were times a sound didn't work, such as gun that jammed or something.
    There is a story of a murder mystery where this guy was to be shoot.
    The actor read his lines, but the gun jammed. Immediately the quick
    thinking actor said, "No, I wouldn't shot you, I'll stab you instead".
    There is much disagree on whether or not this actually happened, or any
    show, etc. Its sort of a urban legend.
    Joe
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.0pr5
    * Origin: Fidonet Since 1991 www.doccyber.org bbs.docsplace.org (1:135/392)
  • From George Pope@1:153/757 to Joe Mackey on Sunday, January 23, 2022 13:15:42
    Blanche was the same way. She was the only cat I knew that came when
    called.
    She was indoor/outdoor cat.

I trained all my cats to come to their name -- it made life simpler. My first one I duiscovered tghis ws possible was Casey (K.C. -- short for "Kitty Cat")) used to go for walks with me -- he'd heel as we walked up to the wee park up the busy road, not flinching at traffic.

At the park, I'd light up a smoke, look for people to interact with &he'd go havefun, climbing tres, chasing squirrels & butterflies.

When it was time to go, I'd call his name & he's stop whatever he was into, & fly down the tree to me, & heel all the way back.

At hoime, I usually had to have a bit of a wrassle with him, to expend the energy he had left (bit keyed up from being "on the hunt" & having it interrupted) until I slowed it down into quiet time & he'd lie on or beside me on the big chair, purring himself to sleep. . .

Ahh, good times -- he was my first dog-cat.

From then on, I always looked for young (8-12 weeks, or whenever the mother naturally weans them) grey tabbies & raised them in much the same ways, with mauybe improvement tweaks I've figured out.

After losing one cat to a catnapper, 'coon, or car, I switched to indoors-only.

That cat would come & go 24/7/365 in/out of the ajar window as he desired.

The goofy thing was is he refused to do his 'business' outside -- he had to come home to use the litterbox. I tried telling him he could save me funds by going outside when he's out there anyway --lot's of open dirt around, vytr hge;s have none of that -- thankfully he hunted enough to reduce what he ate at home.

My fave memory of Gilligan(my "little buddy") was after he got his nuts chopped, he ha to stay inside 7 days -- he hated it -- sat for hours by the closed window, whining & mewling at me.

On his first day outm he came back after 2 hours with a 1/4 of a seagull that had to be twice hissize (based on the wing & bloody breast he brought in); I say he was saying, "Hah! I don't need those -- I'm still a mighty hunter MAN!"

When evening came she would be in back and I would go out on the back
    steps (I live on the third floor) and call out "Blanche!" She would turn to look and I just had to say "Beddy" and up the stairs she ran.

Nice! So much more convenient -- & shows how much she loved & trusted you. . .

a homebody?

Once I stopped at a roadside picnic area in Ohio after visiting a cousin
    in the Detroit area. She flew out of the car and headed for the woods and tall grass.
    After about a half hour I called and called and no reply.
    Finally I said loud enough for her to hear, (she hadn't gone far, never
    did) "Well, I can't find her, I guess I'll just have to leave her here to fend for herself. Hope some big animal doesn't eat her" and slowly walked towards the car. She came out of th
    When in the car if on the highway she was under the seat. But in stop
    and go traffic she would get between my feet and the pedals. :)

Nice! Same as you do with your 5yo child, who refuses to follow you at the mall. Well, at one time, now they steal kids when your back is turned for 3 minutes to talk to someone!

When I play poker(& other games)
    I've never been good at card games, other than solitaire. :)

Solitaire is fun -- I play a few variations, & mahjong -- I find both very relaxing.

I found this site that has a bunch of old school card & board games. . https://cardgames.io/
    Free, no signup needed. . . You can play a few games against others -- I do Backgammon & Farkle on occasion. (Farkle was one of the first BBS doors I played, on the first BBS I visited in '92)

Pretty much as TV began -- they grabbed the best of radio & put them to work
    There was a joke in the late '40s that vaudeville didn't really die, it
    just moved to television.

Not a bad thing -- I've seen some of those variety shows & heard their radio originals -- like the toothpaste sponsored hours. . . Always funny to hear cigarette ads & be amazed by the crap they & others'd say in selling things, like give your baby some Coca Cola!

But they(admen) made billions from those ever so humble beginnings. . .

Some shows were not adaptable to tv simply due to the the constraints of
    the time. It was much cheaper and easier to broadcast a live show than a filmed one. (Tape didn't come along until the late '50s).

Yup, I've seen some of the blopers from live TV -- like when they tricked the one Mr Clean type child host (Capt. Kangaroo?) behind the curtain where a naked woman was there to greet him with full frontal. His flabbergasted reaction was so priceless!

Now it'd be no biggie, the guy'd say, "Oh, hi; you must be the new secretary -- please file those folders on my desk in to the blue cabinet & get me a Latte. & meet me like that, in the lockable Green Room a half hour after my show is done.

Some shows were kinoscoped where basically a film camera was placed in
    front of a monitor so whatever went over the air was filmed. Those are the ones we have to day. The quality wasn't always the best but with all sorts of inference (snow, wavy lines, e

But at least we have them in t he archives somewhere, slowlty meted out into the public to view, sometimes for free eventually!

scenes.
    On radio: I'm going to walk over to that door and see if it opens, with footsteps heard.

Excellent phrase for it!

& kids/adults were so much more intelligent then. . .

I'm especiallyl awed by those giys who could make ANT sound effect, uwithout
    technology, on demand, to make a radio show (whether a short comedy, or a longer story("The Shadow" I used to listen to in the '70s, & others.)
    Sound men were the unsung heroes of radio.
    While actors had the words written out for them and they provided the
    inflection etc, the sound men had to come up with the sounds that were needed.

Yup -- they invented so much to provide many a nuance, & shared them amongst their union.

And there were times a sound didn't work, such as gun that jammed or something.
    There is a story of a murder mystery where this guy was to be shoot.
    The actor read his lines, but the gun jammed. Immediately the quick
    thinking actor said, "No, I wouldn't shot you, I'll stab you instead".
    There is much disagree on whether or not this actually happened, or any
    show, etc. Its sort of a urban legend.

Seems plausible & credit to the actor for the quick improvisation.

"Think fast" is an important skill in most any job.

I'm seeing a lot todasy who can't get there even with plenty of time! :(

But, of course, if you never get to exercise it, it's not going to be available when needed.

You & I & our respective generations were raised with common sense & expected to employ it always.

I was an inquisitive little twerpo -- took me a while to catch on that my dad meant it when he said if I canl ook it up myself. do so & don't ask him somet hing I could've found or figured out for myself.

I had two top encyclpedia sets & 100+ books on varous topics & for varoius levels (50+ Companion Books containing all the classics, some abridged in the Readers Digest colecdtion)

I loved looking up onething in t he Britannica & spending hours chasing other ranbdiomn thoughts & questions across all volumes & even into the annual news supplements -- joy, joy for me but made me a total nerd & not the most popular. . .
    Maybe my dad wanted a different childhood than his -- fighting his way up & down Yonge Street, as he wasn't one to sit at home & never go anywhere, & every block was already claimed as someone's turf (the '50s in a major city--go figure!); I was a runner, not a fighter.

That was a fine thingthen, but I'm more prepared, emotionally, to fight, if needed, even with being half paralyzed, now. . . if there's a threat to my family, I'm in front of it!

I can probably punch right through someone's ribs! (over 250 lbs of landing force at the end of my jab), as I have only one shot until my lack of one side becomes a serious liabilty -- one shot to end the situation. So I use the wisdom I learned from a Toronto gangster when I was 12 (back in '79): If you're in a street fight -- the only rule is "Win." & I only count it as a win when I can safely turn my back & walk home. . .& I live in Toronto!

Feels like valid advice, but rough -- I chose not to get into that angle of life. Good thing, as I lived in a town owned by the HAMC & there's not too many life's directions to go in if you get their attention. . .

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757)
  • From August Abolins@2:221/1.58 to George Pope on Monday, January 24, 2022 09:34:00
    Hello George Pope!

** On Sunday 23.01.22 - 13:15, George Pope wrote to Joe Mackey:

scenes.
    On radio: I'm going to walk over to that door and see if it opens, with
    footsteps heard.

Excellent phrase for it!

Intelligence took a backseat during the War of the Worlds radio
    broadcast though. :( Many people thought it was real.
    --
    ../|ug

--- OpenXP 5.0.51
    * Origin: Creditors have better memories than debtors. (2:221/1.58)
  • From George Pope@1:153/757 to August Abolins on Monday, January 24, 2022 22:34:10
    Intelligence took a backseat during the War of the Worlds radio
    broadcast though. :( Many people thought it was real.
    Yup, I'd've not been caught, as I have been an avid reader of SciFi/Fantasy since a child. . . I would've recognized it quickly enough!

Still a funny moment in history, though. . .& always will be. . .

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
  • From George Pope@1:153/757 to August Abolins on Monday, January 24, 2022 22:34:54
    ../|ug

ug? Is that short for "ugly"? ;)

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
  • From JOE MACKEY@1:135/392 to GEORGE POPE on Monday, January 31, 2022 06:59:48
    CP wrote --

used to go for walks with me -- he'd heel as we walked up to the wee park up the busy road, not flinching at traffic.

Never seen a cat do that, unless they think its their idea. :)

At the park, I'd light up a smoke, look for people to interact with &he'd go havefun, climbing tres, chasing squirrels & butterflies.

Blanche would be "on patrol" a lot around the neighbourhood when she was outside.
    And there were a few times she would wander far afield when I had to
    leave and a few times I had to leave her on her own for the day.
    People asked if I were concerned about her and said she would wind up one
    of three ways: outside somewhere, at the door or flattened on the street.
    It was always one of the first two. The third one was partly a joke.

thankfully he hunted enough to reduce what he ate at home.

Many years ago I stayed with a friend for about a month who lived in the country.
    Matthew would go out the open second floor window, across the roof, jump
    to a tree limb, down to the ground and spend the night being the mighty
    hunter.
    In the morning it was the reverse and he would sleep all day.
    Only had to feed him a couple of times since the area was full of field
    mice and other small critters. :)

On his first day outm he came back after 2 hours with a 1/4 of a seagull that had to be twice hissize (based on the wing & bloody breast he brought in)

Blanche would bring me gifts from time to time. I merely thanked and disposed of it.
    With cats that's a sign of affection and really confuses them when their slaves make a big scene and yelling at them.
    Like dogs. They protect their owners and yelling at one to stop barking confuses them. Its best to thank them, pat them on the head and let it go
    at that.
    Like the old saying:
    The difference between dogs and cats is dogs have owners, cats have
    slaves.
    Its like how they view human.
    Dogs think: they love me, they provide for me, they care for me. They
    must be gods.
    Cats think: They love me, they provide for me, they care for me. _I_
    must be a god.

a homebody?

Very much so.

Solitaire is fun -- I play a few variations, & mahjong -- I find both very relaxing.

I used to play Monopoly against the computer but it cheated.
    It would land on all the good spaces, while I had to pay fines, go to
    jail, etc.

one Mr Clean type child host (Capt. Kangaroo?) behind the curtain where a naked woman was there to greet him with full frontal. His flabbergasted reaction was so priceless!

That was Soupy Sales, who was from here.
    (Well, born in NC and moved here at an early age and lived here all
    though high school).
    I saw him one time walking past my building on the other side of the
    street on a regular visit home.

Excellent phrase for it!

I don't know who coined that but I use it often.

I loved looking up onething in t he Britannica & spending hours chasing other ranbdiomn thoughts & questions across all volumes

A downfall of mine has always been reading an old newspaper for some
    story or other and then getting sidetracked into reading a lot of other things having nothing to do with what I was originally looking for.
    Joe
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.0pr5
    * Origin: Fidonet Since 1991 www.doccyber.org bbs.docsplace.org (1:135/392)
  • From August Abolins@1:153/757.21 to George Pope on Monday, January 31, 2022 14:43:00
    Hello George!

** On Monday 24.01.22 - 22:34, you wrote to me:

../|ug

Could be. So, I've spared you the shock and blocked my face.
    But I can rock a face mask, cool shades and ripped jeans. Not
    bad for a 60+ yr old. The longer hair is new. I had to think of
    something that works with ripped jeans. ;)

https://susepaste.org/47822889

--
    ../|ug

--- OpenXP 5.0.51
    * Origin: Creditors have better memories than debtors. (1:153/757.21)
  • From George Pope@1:153/757 to August Abolins on Monday, January 31, 2022 15:10:14
    Hello George!
    ** On Monday 24.01.22 - 22:34, you wrote to me:
    ../|ug
    Could be. So, I've spared you the shock and blocked my face.
    But I can rock a face mask, cool shades and ripped jeans. Not
    bad for a 60+ yr old. The longer hair is new. I had to think of
    something that works with ripped jeans.

That sounds like an appropriate pairing for sure -- just need one of those leather tassle jackets to go with it, eh?

I tried selling one that was in excellentcondition at a flea market in the '80s -- ended up selling it cheap as a craft supply in the last hour, so I'd not be packing it home.

Long gone as in fashion, I suppose -- I think it's a good look -- but I think hippie is retro now anyway, & I support hippies all the way, especially if they can think for themselves & rebel against those who would curtail that. . .

& marijuana is not a DRUG -- it's an HERB.

I met a hippie in the '80s in Cali as a teen -- he gave me tyhe hippie motto:

"Sticj to organics & have sexd 4-5 times a day"; he explained, "the chemicals'll kill you, & sex is damn fine exercise."

I've tried to live by his words. . .

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5