• Re: Old PC's

From Daryl Stout@1:2320/33 to JOE MACKEY on Saturday, January 15, 2022 21:32:00
    Joe,

I'll watch the ones from various companies and its always "this is
    the best car ever made, not some piece of junk like we made last year
    you need to trade in right now for this great new car". Well, that's
    the gist of the ads. :)

Years ago in Nashville, Tennessee...they had a park called Opryland USA.
    The only thing that survives of it is the building where they perform The
    Grand Ole Opry every week (it's the longest running show, first started
    nearly 100 years ago, by WSM Radio, Clear Channel 650). The radio station
    was originally owned by an insurance company, and their slogan of "We
    Serve Millions" was the inspiration for the station's callsign. It has
    always had a country-western format.

But, at Opryland, they had one ride called the Tin Lizzie...where you
    got to "drive" remakes of those classic cars.

Changing fortunes, etc. closed the park, and it was razed...and then
    replaced by a shopping mall. Yet, so many shopping areas and malls now
    are boarded up and vacant.

The original home of the Grand Ole Opry, the Ryman Auditorium, in
    downtown Nashville, was originally a Baptist Church...it still has
    the stained glass windows. Sometimes, they refer to it as "The Mother
    Church".

Daryl

... A gossip is someone with a great sense of rumor.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Win32
    * Origin: The Thunderbolt BBS - Little Rock, Arkansas (1:2320/33)
  • From George Pope@1:153/757 to Daryl Stout on Monday, January 17, 2022 11:27:02
    George,
    Owwww. . .have you tried Gabapentin?
    I was told to DISCONTINUE ALL PAIN MEDICATIONS...EXCEPT for
    low dose Tylenol...because all the pain medications thin the
    blood (I'm already on Eliquis for atrial fibrillation), and
    that it'd make me more of a hemophiliac. But, too much of the
    Tylenol can cause liver damage.

Too much of any drug/medication is rough on the old liver (which filters all the chemical crap out of our blood, whatever the kidneys can't handle, anyway)

Okay, if it's contraindicated in y our case, then so be it -- look up a group called "self management of chronic conditions" & try to find a free workship that you can fo over Zoom, or in person locally. Search your state with those other keywords, as it's normally state-based (all in a partuicular froup of 6- 12 being from the same state or province, to maintain the original integrity of the program)

Thery've provided me with non-medication-centred ways to function to the degree I want normal life to look like, in spite of chronic pain at level 8-10/10 most of the time.

This was developed by a California university using tight scientific controls to create each section & testing it in actual practice.

I started training to lead these groups over Zoom here in BC, so I have a good idea of the behind the scenes effectiveness & why it works. (insurances love the program, as people have fewer doctor & hospiotal visits for ongoing chronic conditions; my provincial health insurance provides the program free to any resident of BC, including the text)

I guess I just have to suffer. Then, I've got a bunch of
    other crap going on...with the greedy state people likely
    going to take away my low income assistance to pay the monthly
    Medicare premium...which means I have to sell the car. Then, I
    am having problems with the BBS not "downing the nodes" for the
    nightly doorgame and file area maintenance. I may end up REMOVING
    ALL THE DOORS...and if I do that, is there any reason to keep the
    BBS online?? I sure hate to waste all those door registrations
    over the last 32 years...never mind have to set up new BBS
    software.

What did we do back in the time before modems? (on-topic now *LOL*)

I'm with Robert A. Heinlein & Spider Robinson(2 of my fave authors(the former RIP in '88): "A blessing shared is doubled and a sorrow shared is halved."

And from me: "No problem is unsolveable, except maybe for dribbling a football or putting toothpaste back in the tube by hand"

I've solved those two, also. . .

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757)
  • From George Pope@1:153/757 to Joe Mackey on Monday, January 17, 2022 11:38:52
    I am a bit of fuddy duddy. Always have been.
    If something ain't broke, don't fix it.
    It something works, leave it alone.

If that's "fuddy duddy," sign me up!

I'll be used to some program/app/os and can use with my eyes closed.
    Then some wiseguy programmer changes this, that and other and have a
    learning curve to make. Need to learn the new way since the old way doesn't work. --sigh--
    I can see changes for bugs and things, but not change just for the sake
    of change.

Bill Gates started that -- his real genius wasn't programming -- it was marketing.

Now Marketing gets a heavy say in what changes get done -- not necessarily for the benefit of the buyer/user, as we've both seen.

Also, I believe the DOD & other powers-that-be support Microsoft, & some changes are from them & completely inimical to the buyers/users, if they only knew.

I remember when it was ALL DOS & it was good!
    Same here, but I don't think I would want to go back to that.
    I'm too lazy with point and click, having multiple windows open, etc.
    Now that is one change that I did like. :)

I include Windows 3.11 as "DOS" as it was just a GUI overlay to DOS; I mainly used it to have two DOS prompts easily switched to & from (in one I had my QWK/SOUP reader, in the other I could do list searches in my 1000s of text
    files for what I wanted to import into a message.

Occasuionally I'd use my BBS dialer to connect somewhere to look some thing up or ask someone I knew there, while I had a QWK open in the other DOS session.

Ahh, simple, yet good, times. . .

& secure! Anyone tried to sneak into my system simultaneous to my use, to "observe" would find my DOS-baszed system laughing at them as they vainly attempted to overlay/enter. . .

If they(adware, spyware, random phreak HTML/ANSI bomb, et al) cracked it anywhere, my system was trained to shut right off. Then I took a day or two offline to do other things.

Now the new Windows allows this similtameous sharing of MY system resources, thus messing with my ability to have maximum use of my owm computer!

Pisses me off. I paid good hard-earned money for this.

Oh well, such is the world. The rich & powerful in the leadership cabals seek to have maximum information+control over the domains they've claimed.

I'm fine with that, sort of, just so long as they let me alone to do my own thing.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
  • From JOE MACKEY@1:135/392 to GEORGE POPE on Tuesday, January 18, 2022 05:49:52
    CP wrote --

And from me: "No problem is unsolveable, except maybe for dribbling a football or putting toothpaste back in the tube by hand"

Do tell. Inquiring minds want to know.
    Joe
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.0pr5
    * Origin: Fidonet Since 1991 www.doccyber.org bbs.docsplace.org (1:135/392)
  • From George Pope@1:153/757 to Joe Mackey on Tuesday, January 18, 2022 11:58:40
    CP wrote --
    And from me: "No problem is unsolveable, except maybe for dribbling a
    football or putting toothpaste back in the tube by hand"

The way some engineers & most mathemeticiuans do it:

P=problem

Assume P = solved

or "delete the concern over a problem & it's no longer a problem -- it's just a thing."

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
  • From Daryl Stout@1:2320/33 to George Pope on Tuesday, January 18, 2022 09:27:00
    George,

Too much of any drug/medication is rough on the old liver (which
    filters all the chemical crap out of our blood, whatever the kidneys can't handle, anyway)

"I want my pizza delivered".

Whoever heard of liver on a pizza?? <G>

What did we do back in the time before modems? (on-topic now *LOL*)

Grass too long...better modem. <G>

I'm with Robert A. Heinlein & Spider Robinson(2 of my fave authors(the former RIP in '88): "A blessing shared is doubled and a sorrow shared
    is halved."

Heinlein also said TANSTAFFL...and he was right on target. Nothing is
    totally free...it cost the giver something.

Yet, all these bleeding heart liberals can't understand or comprehend
    that when there is no one left to provide funds, etc. for "the free stuff", what are they going to do?? They don't have an answer for that...just a horrified look on their face.

Yet, death is the great equalizer.

Daryl

... Do You Sysop, Take This BBS, to be your lawfully wedded spouse??
    === MultiMail/Win v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Win32
  • From JOE MACKEY@1:135/392 to GEORGE POPE on Wednesday, January 19, 2022 05:50:06
    CP wrote --

Bill Gates started that -- his real genius wasn't programming -- it was marketing.

Yep. Without IBM and the deals he made he would still be in his
    basement.
    But like everything else, if not that person and whatever they invented/improved/marketed, etc it would have been someone else.
    If not Watts and the steam engine, it would have been someone else at
    some later point in time for example.

Now Marketing gets a heavy say in what changes get done

Gotta keep pushing more of the product out the door.
    Just add a few new bells and whistles and call it "new and improved".
    I always ask myself when I read that what was wrong with it before?

Oh well, such is the world. The rich & powerful in the leadership cabals seek to have maximum information+control over the domains they've claimed.

I'm fine with that, sort of, just so long as they let me alone to do my own thing.

Same here.
    Joe

• From JOE MACKEY@1:135/392 to GEORGE POPE on Thursday, January 20, 2022 05:24:30
    CP wrote --

P=problem

Assume P = solved

or "delete the concern over a problem & it's no longer a problem -- it's just a thing."

Same goes for politics, businesses, funny noise your car is making, etc.
    There's a problem, talk about it a nit, then ignore it and it'll go away.
    Joe
  • From George Pope@1:153/757 to Daryl Stout on Friday, January 21, 2022 15:25:56
    George,
    Too much of any drug/medication is rough on the old liver (which
    filters all the chemical crap out of our blood, whatever the kidneys
    can't handle, anyway)
    "I want my pizza delivered".
    Whoever heard of liver on a pizza?? <G>

Not me! I can't even stand SEEING it in the grocery!

Ugh -- horrible memories of our once or twice a year liver meal -- so grateful we can now get our vitamin A in other foods &/or supplements.

I would find a way to thicken ketchup (mix with mashed taties) & stack it an inch deep on top of a tiny(~2cm^2) cut-off bite of liver & attemnpt to swallow that ewntire bite whole -- never worked, I had to chew & spread that HORRIBLE taste throughout my poor young mouth. . .

Now I refuse to eat liver or kidneys -- as I know exactly what they do in the body of a mammal & if the cow saw fit to get rid of that crap, why would I want to eat it?!

You eat liver? That's OFFAL!!!

I'm with Robert A. Heinlein & Spider Robinson(2 of my fave authors(the
    former RIP in '88): "A blessing shared is doubled and a sorrow shared
    is halved."
    Heinlein also said TANSTAFFL...and he was right on target. Nothing is
    totally free...it cost the giver something.

Yup, TANSTAFL is one of my faves of his contributions to our language - that & "grok".. . (to truly understand & internalize knowledge)

Yet, all these bleeding heart liberals can't understand or comprehend
    that when there is no one left to provide funds, etc. for "the free stuff", what are they going to do?? They don't have an answer for that...just a horrified look on their face.

I'm in Canada -- where free handouts are the way of life for half the ppoulation (think California, just colder)

I've had my share over theyears & cuirrently receive a disability cheque montgly that isn't paid for by any contribution to a pension or insurance plan I did. . .it's paid for by the hardworking taxpayers of this province (including me) & I don't accept it as a free ift -- I accept it for what it was intended -- help up for those who need it, & I accept it as a debt upon myself, thus I put in many hours/week of volunteer work for my community & province.

I was raised on TANSTAAFL, but not by that name. . .

Yet, death is the great equalizer.

meme: "No matter what you did in life, how rich & powerful you were, in death, all our graves are the same size."
    2: Photo of the Great Pyranmid of Giza & a pharaoh captioned saying: "Speak for yourself, peasant!"

I defy you to find a graveyard that doesn't have humungous mausoleums here & there, some incredibly ornate -- all pointless, of course, as the builder/owner is utterly GONE!

Like the rtich guy talking with St. Peter, who didn't have him on the lisd to enter Heaven, as his life was filled with greed & glutony & no generrosit or kindness. . .

"That's not true, " Mr. Moneybags exclaimed, "You can't say never -- why just lat month, I dropped a quarter into a blind beggar's cup!"

Peter said, "Okay, I'll have to discuss this with the Boss. Hang on. . ."

Peter heads upstairs into God's chamber & explains what the record says & wha the guy's protest was.

God pulled up the life reel on the big screen ion the wall oppopsitek to vieew the incident & sure enoughm, the old Scrooge, dug down past a pocketful of $2-0 nbilld to find a quarter lodged in the corner & grudghingly put it into the beggar's cup, presumably because he saw the newspaper photographer arcoss the street.

God dug into His robes & pulled out a coin, flipped it to Peter & said, "Give him back his two bits & tell him to go to Hell."

You will know them by their fruits. . .

Moneybags' fruit was old, dried & mouldy. . .

I'm not saying God actually acts like this, of course -- it's a JOKE, people -- read the echo name & description before you send your complaints to my recycle bin!

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
  • From George Pope@1:153/757 to Joe Mackey on Friday, January 21, 2022 15:30:56
    CP wrote --
    Bill Gates started that -- his real genius wasn't programming -- it was
    marketing.
    Yep. Without IBM and the deals he made he would still be in his
    basement.
    But like everything else, if not that person and whatever they invented/improved/marketed, etc it would have been someone else.
    If not Watts and the steam engine, it would have been someone else at
    some later point in time for example.

True -- just like the lightbulb was parallel 'discovered'/invented on both sides of the Atlantic, unless you believe Tomjmy Edison knew of the other & simply copioed it, of course!

I wiouldn't say thart muyselfg, as I don't have evidence behind such; all i'll say is it seems "highly plausible," consdidereing everything else Edison gets credit for was invented by others. . .

Now Marketing gets a heavy say in what changes get done
    Gotta keep pushing more of the product out the door.
    Just add a few new bells and whistles and call it "new and improved".

You know it!

"It started, the splash screen came up? SHIP IT!!"

I always ask myself when I read that what was wrong with it before?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it -- normal perople If it ain't broke, fix it til it is -- Microsoft techs & city road crews

Oh well, such is the world. The rich & powerful in the leadership cabals
    seek to have maximum information+control over the domains they've claimed.

I'm fine with that, sort of, just so long as they let me alone to do my own
    thing.
    Same here.

Too bad they don't/won't, though. . . but again, that's long evidenced & was easily predictable. Pardon the trite tautology, but it is what it is. . .

& nothing but that tautology sums it up better.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
  • From George Pope@1:153/757 to Joe Mackey on Friday, January 21, 2022 16:07:36
    CP wrote --

P=problem

Assume P = solved

or "delete the concern over a problem & it's no longer a problem -- it's just
    a thing."
    Same goes for politics, businesses, funny noise your car is making, etc. There's a problem, talk about it a nit, then ignore it and it'll go away.

Unless it doesn't,. but then you tell yourself it;'s fine anyway, or decide it was never a REAL problem to begin with & go on with life with a smile. . .

Your friends think you're a simp, but who cares, you're HAPPY!

Ignorance truly is blissful!

I'm a realist, I say, "If you're not Angry, Cynical, &/or Depressed, you're just not INFORMED!"

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
  • From JOE MACKEY@1:135/392 to GEORGE POPE on Monday, January 24, 2022 05:47:20
    CP wrote --

There's a problem, talk about it a nit, then ignore it and it'll go away.

Unless it doesn't,. but then you tell yourself it;'s fine anyway, or decide it was never a REAL problem to begin with & go on with life with a smile. . .

Sounds good to me. :)
    Joe
  • From George Pope@1:153/757 to Joe Mackey on Monday, January 24, 2022 21:52:54
    CP wrote --
    There's a problem, talk about it a nit, then ignore it and it'll go away. >>
    Unless it doesn't,. but then you tell yourself it;'s fine anyway, or decide >it was never a REAL problem to begin with & go on with life with a smile. . .
    Sounds good to me.

Me, too, it seesms. . . I'm smiling most of the time --people think I'm a simp (the joke's on them; I *KNOW* I'm one!)

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
  • From Daryl Stout@1:2320/33 to George Pope on Tuesday, January 25, 2022 13:13:00
    George,

It has to be fried beef liver with sauteed onions...I will NOT eat it any other way.

However, it tends to send the cholesterol and triglycerides through the
    roof, so I can't do it that often.

Unfortunately, what cafeterias and restaurants around here that did serve
    it on occasion, were shut down because of Covid-19 and supply issues.

So many charlatan preachers out there today.

I'm not saying God actually acts like this, of course -- it's a JOKE,

God has a sense of humor...He created us. :P

Daryl

... If you can't laugh at yourself, you have a ton of problems.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Win32
  • From George Pope@1:153/757 to Daryl Stout on Wednesday, January 26, 2022 16:50:30
    George,
    It has to be fried beef liver with sauteed onions...I will NOT eat it any other way.

The nastiest smell on the Earth has got to be that cooking!

However, it tends to send the cholesterol and triglycerides through the
    roof, so I can't do it that often.

I prefer beef heart (sliced a 1/4 inch thick, & sauteed in butter with scads of garlic, then removed to a hot plate, & the remainihg butternowmixed with meart uuices, turned into the tickest richest gravy you ever did taste -- all seved with mashed taties!

You can feel your arteries tightening up just thinking of this, eh?

So many charlatan preachers out there today.

Yup,. both ordained & non-. . .

I'll call them on it; I don't care -- I know the Bible & most church formative tradition forwards & backwards!

Like the woman who asked me, at a holy roller(generic Pentecostal-based) church , if I'd like her to pray for my paralysis; I was an unbeliever still & thought she was going to kneel before her bed that nighht & say a prayer for me -- how swewet -- so I thanked her & assented. She put her hand on my shoulder & started praying loudly for all to hear for God to heal me.

Well, God has His own plans & I shjowed up the next week with the same fgriemd, & she marched right up to me & glared, "How DARE ytou come back here with your loack of faith? If you'd trusted in God, you'd be healed right now!"

My hackles were up from her attitude, so I lit into her, right back, "Pardon me, sister; I'm prettyy sure Jesus said that when you pray, if you pray, believing, it WILL be done. Sounds to me like YOU lack ythe faith, & now you're trying to tempt others to lose theirs by suggesting God ignores prayers. I felt justified in addressing her at the same volumne she'd unBiblically used to pray the week before.

My friend amened a couple of my points & she slunk away, I'm sure to never try such nonsense again!

Later, after I'd become a believer, I considered if I'd done her harm, if a better response could've been done, but with what I knew at that time, my response was quite reasonable. She started it. I've no doubt that God, using me, finished it.

&, on the topic of faith healing -- if we had true Christians, in the Apostolic

sense, there'd be news of thousands being healed on Cancer & other palliative wards. The fact it's not so tells us what we need to know about the sincerity
    & faith of today's believers. I admit, I lack that kind of fath, but I don't claim it either. . .

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5