• My Celebrity Cousins

From Mike Dippel@3:640/1116 to ALL on Wednesday, March 10, 2021 22:42:48
    My latest weekly email from WikiTree revealed my relation to several more celebrities.
    I am 20 degrees from Alexander Graham Bell, 29 degrees from Steve Jobs, 25 degrees
    from Hedy Lamarr, and 18 degrees from Samuel Morse.

It's always fun to learn about new relationships!

Mike
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v7.0
    * Origin: The Hobby Line! BBS (3:640/1116)
  • From Nigel Reed@1:124/5016 to Mike Dippel on Monday, March 15, 2021 14:59:46
    Mike wrote:
    My latest weekly email from WikiTree revealed my relation to several more celebrities.
    I am 20 degrees from Alexander Graham Bell, 29 degrees from Steve Jobs, 25 degrees
    from Hedy Lamarr, and 18 degrees from Samuel Morse.

My uncle's cousin is singer and actress Marti Webb, so I've been told.

It's always fun to learn about new relationships!

I did receive a GEDCOM that linked someone who married into a distant branch
    of my family who had connections to the British Royal family. They were also rather distant from the throne. Since they married into my side, I have no direct relationship to the queen, but she does appear on my tree.
    --- SBBSecho 3.13-Linux
    * Origin: End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com (1:124/5016)
  • From Mike Dippel@3:640/1116 to Nigel Reed on Monday, March 15, 2021 17:20:54
    I did receive a GEDCOM that linked someone who married into a distant branch of my family who had connections to the British Royal family. They were also rather distant from the throne. Since they married into my side, I have no direct relationship to the queen, but she does appear on my tree.

If you are not already on http://wikitree.com I would suggest you do so. You just enter
    your immediate family and any ancestors you are aware of, and you should start receiving
    emails after a month or so.

Mike Dippel

• From Nigel Reed@1:124/5016 to Mike Dippel on Tuesday, March 16, 2021 03:27:39
    Mike wrote:
    I did receive a GEDCOM that linked someone who married into a distant branch
    of my family who had connections to the British Royal family. They were also
    rather distant from the throne. Since they married into my side, I have no direct relationship to the queen, but she does appear on my tree.

If you are not already on http://wikitree.com I would suggest you do so. You just enter
    your immediate family and any ancestors you are aware of, and you should start receiving
    emails after a month or so.

Yes, I have an account there but I've not filled anything in. I was rather disappointed when it wouldn't accept my GEDCOM. It seems like it's limited to 500 people and I've got over 10,000.
    --- SBBSecho 3.13-Linux
  • From Mike Dippel@3:640/1116 to Nigel Reed on Tuesday, March 16, 2021 04:57:34
    Hi Nigel,

Yes, I have an account there but I've not filled anything in. I was rather disappointed when it wouldn't accept my GEDCOM. It seems like it's limited to
    500 people and I've got over 10,000.

Not sure if there is any way to break your GEDCOM down to just a limited section of your
    family. Family Tree Maker (https://www.mackiev.com/ftm/) used to be able to do this.

If you can upload a much smaller file, you should see results. Let me know.

Mike

• From Nigel Reed@1:124/5016 to Mike Dippel on Tuesday, March 16, 2021 17:06:46
    Mike wrote:
    Not sure if there is any way to break your GEDCOM down to just a limited section of your
    family. Family Tree Maker (https://www.mackiev.com/ftm/) used to be able to do this.

If you can upload a much smaller file, you should see results. Let me know.

I can probably make a copy and prune branches. Since the code is open, I could probably just extract my line to a GEDCOM or another tree and then export it. I'll take a look when I have time.
    --- SBBSecho 3.13-Linux