• Squish.cfg to husky config

From Alan Ianson@1:153/757 to All on Wednesday, January 26, 2022 18:28:46
    Hello All,

I'd like to create a husky config from a squish.cfg, at least the area config. Does anyone have a way to do this?

I tried the sq2fc.pl in the fidoconf/util directory but it gave me no output. Anyone have experience with that?

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757)
  • From Kai Richter@2:240/77 to Alan Ianson on Tuesday, February 08, 2022 04:47:40
    Hello Alan!

26 Jan 22, Alan Ianson wrote to All:

I'd like to create a husky config from a squish.cfg, at least the area config. Does anyone have a way to do this?

As far as i remember i used a text editor with a search&replace function.

I tried the sq2fc.pl in the fidoconf/util directory but it gave me no output. Anyone have experience with that?

For *nix environments no output is the default if everthing was fine and there is no error. *.pl should be a perl script. You could try to find the debug switch for perl or set it to verbose output to track what the script is doing.

Regards

Kai

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.4.7
    * Origin: Monobox (2:240/77)
  • From Alan Ianson@1:153/757 to Kai Richter on Tuesday, February 08, 2022 08:55:40
    I'd like to create a husky config from a squish.cfg, at least the area
    config. Does anyone have a way to do this?

As far as i remember i used a text editor with a search&replace function.

Yes, there will need to be some search and replace/editing I am sure.

I am asking on behalf of a node here in net 153 who has been using squish for many years and has around 2000 areas so it is a daunting task.

We are hoping to get a basic areas file that will need as little editing as possible.

I tried the sq2fc.pl in the fidoconf/util directory but it gave me no
    output. Anyone have experience with that?

For *nix environments no output is the default if everthing was fine and there is no error. *.pl should be a perl script. You could try to find the debug switch for perl or set it to verbose output to track what the script is doing.

Thanks for the pointers. I'll keep trying and see if I can get some kind of output. Maybe I need a -o output.txt.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
  • From Kai Richter@2:240/77 to Alan Ianson on Tuesday, February 08, 2022 20:47:12
    Hello Alan!

08 Feb 22, Alan Ianson wrote to Kai Richter:

I am asking on behalf of a node here in net 153 who has been using
    squish for many years and has around 2000 areas so it is a daunting
    task.

Uh, i do agree. ;-)

We are hoping to get a basic areas file that will need as little
    editing as possible.

Is the squish->hpt change the only change?

If there is a full system migration and the new system is available at the same time then you could put a dummy node to the new system, establish a link and use the autoarea create by areafix add * and do a rescan.

Regards

Kai

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.4.7
    * Origin: Monobox (2:240/77)
  • From Alan Ianson@1:153/757 to Kai Richter on Tuesday, February 08, 2022 13:12:12

He is looking at a change to the husky software including htick and other utilities. Possibly nodelist tools also.

If there is a full system migration and the new system is available at the same time then you could put a dummy node to the new system, establish a link and use the autoarea create by areafix add * and do a rescan.

That might be the way to go. I will suggest this to him.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
  • From Oli@2:280/464.47 to Alan Ianson on Wednesday, February 09, 2022 10:55:09
    Alan wrote (2022-02-08):

He is looking at a change to the husky software including htick and other utilities. Possibly nodelist tools also.

If there is a full system migration and the new system is available at
    the same time then you could put a dummy node to the new system,
    establish a link and use the autoarea create by areafix add * and do a
    rescan.

What would that solve that you can't do with a simple sed command or script.

You also have to configure the uplinks and downlinks. If there are none, just archive everything and be happy ;).

---
    * Origin: Birds aren't real (2:280/464.47)
  • From Alan Ianson@1:153/757 to Oli on Wednesday, February 09, 2022 03:21:36

What would that solve that you can't do with a simple sed command or script.

sed commands look simple.. but they are not.. ;)

You also have to configure the uplinks and downlinks. If there are none, just archive everything and be happy ;).

Yes, there are quite a large number of links to go with these areas. I'm trying to think but I'm not seeing an easy way to do this.

Just going to have to work through the config one line at a time.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
  • From Oli@2:280/464.47 to Alan Ianson on Wednesday, February 09, 2022 12:35:18
    Alan wrote (2022-02-09):

What would that solve that you can't do with a simple sed command or
    script.

sed commands look simple.. but they are not.. ;)

It depends on the things you wanted to do. Extracting the area and file name shouldn't be too hard. For converting the squish.cfg to hpt it might not the best tool for the job.

You also have to configure the uplinks and downlinks. If there are
    none, just archive everything and be happy ;).

Yes, there are quite a large number of links to go with these areas. I'm trying to think but I'm not seeing an easy way to do this.

Just going to have to work through the config one line at a time.

I could try to write something in (oo)REXX, if you can provide some example lines of input and output. I want to (re)learn it anyway.

---
    * Origin: Birds aren't real (2:280/464.47)
  • From Alan Ianson@1:153/757 to Oli on Wednesday, February 16, 2022 12:18:54
    I could try to write something in (oo)REXX, if you can provide some example lines of input and output. I want to (re)learn it anyway.

I have asked permission to give you the squish.cfg and it has been given. It would be very helpful to this node and possibly others as wel.

Is there an email or ftn address I can mail it to you?

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
  • From Oli@2:280/464.47 to Alan Ianson on Friday, February 18, 2022 09:16:04
    Alan wrote (2022-02-16):

I could try to write something in (oo)REXX, if you can provide some
    example lines of input and output. I want to (re)learn it anyway.

I have asked permission to give you the squish.cfg and it has been given. It would be very helpful to this node and possibly others as wel.

Is there an email or ftn address I can mail it to you?

I've sent you a crashmail.

---
    * Origin: They're made out of meta (2:280/464.47)