• HOPE for the naturalized lawn..

From August Abolins@1:153/757.21 to All on Monday, May 30, 2022 22:39:00
    "Instead of a manicured lawn and garden, Beth and Craig
    Sinclair planted 150 trees and other native plant species in
    front of their bungalow. The couple, who moved to Smiths Falls
    from Seattle about a decade ago, said natural lawns like theirs
    are common in their former city."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/smith-falls-naturalized- lawn-yard-victory-bylaw-environment-ecology-wildlife-diversity-

https://bbs.lc/yrBZd

--- OpenXP 5.0.51
    * Origin: Stare into this point intently ->.<- (1:153/757.21)
  • From Wilfred van Velzen@2:280/464 to August Abolins on Tuesday, May 31, 2022 09:30:58
    Hi August,

On 2022-05-30 22:39:00, you wrote to All:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/smith-falls-naturalized- lawn-yard-victory-bylaw-environment-ecology-wildlife-diversity-

It's rediculous this is even news! ;-)

Bye, Wilfred.

--- FMail-lnx64 2.1.0.18-B20170815
    * Origin: FMail development HQ (2:280/464)
  • From August Abolins@1:153/757.21 to Wilfred van Velzen on Tuesday, May 31, 2022 08:27:00
    Hello Wilfred!

** On Tuesday 31.05.22 - 09:30, you wrote to me:

front of their bungalow...

But it's not ridiculous enough to have a bylaw for that. :/

Apparently "looks" are everything.

--
    ../|ug

--- OpenXP 5.0.51
    * Origin: Stare into this point intently ->.<- (1:153/757.21)
  • From George Pope@1:153/757 to August Abolins on Tuesday, May 31, 2022 09:11:38
    are common in their former city." https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/smith-falls-naturalized- lawn-yard-victory-bylaw-environment-ecology-wildlife-diversity-

My first thought is "Yeah? And. . .?"

I would hope we have a sovereign right over our own property to plant anything not inimical to others & not explicitly illegal by democratically passed law (e.g. opium poppies' as a cash crop).

I'm all about natural -- I'd love a 'yard' (if it's still such) that is a patch of the kind of woods I grew up wandering around in -- A loose empty, but for trees(deciduous & evergreen together) both upright(live) & down(various stages of returning to the soil), ferns, & shrubs, under a thick canopy that blocks out the sun in the non-winter hours -- I loved hanging around in such, picking berries, pulling up licorice ferns off downed cedars, seeing various signs of wildlife. I picked up a perfect sense of direction -- I could enter the woods at the top -- bop around all day, then pop out several miles down, just where my home's road began, to arrive home just in time for 5pm supper! Half filled with huckleberries & licorice -- giving me perfect digestion & BMs all through my childhood -- active, healthy natural fiber-rich diet.

Then I sank away from such &spent the next 120-20 years eating garbage, lazing, smoking, drinking, et al, but my earlier foundation kept me going more or less healthy in spite of myself! (It definitely helped that my mom only bought organic healthy foods in the year I lived there until leaving home at age 12, to seek my fortune. (still looking, but doing mighty fine overall.)

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-6
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757)
  • From George Pope@1:153/757 to Wilfred Van Velzen on Tuesday, May 31, 2022 09:14:52
    Hi August,
    On 2022-05-30 22:39:00, you wrote to All:
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/smith-falls-naturalized-
    lawn-yard-victory-bylaw-environment-ecology-wildlife-diversity-

Agreed., It seems the newsmedia get too used to printing only what they're told to print as truth, & they get lost when there's no current campaign of misinformation, & just throw together anything to fill space.

I don't get informed of current events by reading the newspaper, I get informed of what that particular editor's owners have said to present to me as current events.

As I always say, sometimes, "If you're not Angry, Cynical, &/or Depressed, you're just not informed!"

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-6
  • From George Pope@1:153/757 to August Abolins on Tuesday, May 31, 2022 09:18:38
    Hello Wilfred!
    ** On Tuesday 31.05.22 - 09:30, you wrote to me:
    front of their bungalow...
    But it's not ridiculous enough to have a bylaw for that. :/
    Apparently "looks" are everything.

The horrible thing is that HOASARE BECOMING MORE A THING IN Canada -- whereby your neighbours get to tell you how to decorate your home, when to mow your lawn, & all that kind of stuff, relating to YOUR sovereign ownership of land & building.

British Properties, in West Vancouver, still attaches an encumbrance when you buy a property, forcing you to agree to never sell "to a Chinaman or Jew."

& that's "in perpetuity" & goes with the property, not the owner, so you must include it when you resell at a later date.

Oh, big surprise, for an estate property with that name, eh?

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-6
  • From Adam Clark@1:153/141 to George Pope on Thursday, June 16, 2022 09:04:14
    Re: HOPE for the naturalized lawn..
    By: George Pope to August Abolins on Tue May 31 2022 09:18 am

British Properties, in West Vancouver, still attaches an encumbrance when you buy a property, forcing you to agree to never sell "to a Chinaman or Jew."
    & that's "in perpetuity" & goes with the property, not the owner, so you must include it when you resell at a later date.
    Oh, big surprise, for an estate property with that name, eh?

Except, that doesn't appear to be entirely accurate - do you have a reference?

Any current reporting on the subject suggests there's *some* remaining in a variety of places around Vancouver (could be anywhere, I guess), but according to a Sun article from this year "...these offensive clauses were made unenforceable in 1978...". West Vancouver in particular has been investigating how to clean up any remaining ones like this, so people can stop getting nasty surprises.

I figured I should add in this context, as your message was sitting around for a couple of weeks now without further clarity.
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: The Basement - basement.isurf.ca (1:153/141)