• Checking in

From George Pope@1:153/757 to All on Friday, December 31, 2021 12:44:56
    Who've we got active in here, as 2021 ends & we enter 2022 (hopefully it's not 2020, too. I had enough with just the once!)

& whereabouts in this great BIG land are you?

I'm all for using the Arrogant Worms;' song, "Canada's Really Big" as our new national anthem if people keep pushing for one, because they don't understand history nor how history/traditions is extolled in song.

Nobody can argue against that we're really big. We're #2 & if Russia keeps on shrinking, we'll soon be first!

I'm in Richmond, BC, just butting up against the Fraser River estuary, so I have the best winter weather in all of Canada; I like to call this the "Tropics of Canada." Most years Florida gets more snow than we do!

I'm married with children at home (one grown, one new teen) & work part-time &/or occasuional from my home office (nice desk & computer in corner of mny bedroom, with oft-used coffee making supplies right beside me!

I'm an old Fidonaut from before the Y2K computer sales killed BBSing & Fight-O- Net. I used to be on a dozxen or so boards daily, all over North America (DOS dial-in -- remember those good times? I got a flat pack mailed bill showing 6,000+ minuted of LD a month, all marked as "$0 (included in plan)"; I paid
    $30/mo for truly unlimited calling, just because our local telco wanted to screw the competitor who had signed me up on one of my lines (the one I used for internet, including the rare telnet BBS)

Sprint tried calling me to get me back. When I said I'm paying 0.5c/minute to call New York, Florida, Ontario, & Hawaii, they could only say, "You've got a REALLY good deal!"

I did! When I got a girlfriend back east, we chewed up another 2K minutes/month, all hours (no closed times for me)

I ended up marrying her in 2007, & we're still going!

Write back, say where you are & tell us a bit of y'self, please? Let's wake this echo up!

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757)
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to GEORGE POPE on Saturday, January 01, 2022 10:07:00
    I'm all for using the Arrogant Worms;' song, "Canada's Really Big" as our new >ational anthem if people keep pushing for one, because they don't understand h
    story nor how history/traditions is extolled in song.

I am in the US. What is wrong with "Oh, Canada"? I find it moving.

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)
  • From George Pope@1:153/757 to Mike Powell on Sunday, January 02, 2022 08:54:06
    I'm all for using the Arrogant Worms;' song, "Canada's Really Big" as our new >> ational anthem if people keep pushing for one, because they don't understand
    h
    story nor how history/traditions is extolled in song.

Nothing's wrong with it if you ask people who can think. . .

But the new generat8ions want to update it because it has tge line "in all thy sons' command" in it.

Not getting that this is singing about the time of Confederation (1867) when women just didn't go to war. They didn't want to, & men didnt want them to be any closer to the risks than they could fight to keep it away.

That made sense, actually, as women & children are far more important to the survival of a species or social grouping(e.g. country)

Now, though, women fgo to war alongside men, but ony have to carry a pack 65% as heavy.

Who do you want at your back when you're hunkered down trying to survive being behind enemy lines -- one with the full complement of arms, ammo, & other supplies, or one with just 65% of a load?

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
  • From George Pope@1:153/757 to Mike Powell on Sunday, January 02, 2022 08:54:40

You're into sports? Hockey?

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to GEORGE POPE on Monday, January 03, 2022 16:21:00

Yes, I am into sports. Where I hear your anthem most often is during
    IndyCar events. The ones in Toronto have been cancelled due to COVID
    recently, but they also used to play it (along with the US anthem) before
    the races in Detroit. I have not noticed them doing so lately.

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * Politically incorrect...and proud of it!!!
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to GEORGE POPE on Monday, January 03, 2022 16:29:00

Those are in short supply in younger generations these days.

But the new generat8ions want to update it because it has tge line "in all thy
    sons' command" in it.

I wonder how many women who actually serve are offended by that?

In Kentucky, we had to change our state song. It made a reference to African-Americans that, while not as offensive as the "N" word, was no
    longer considered flattering. So they changed it to "people."

That is all fine and dandy, except that the song used to be about the
    plight of African-Americans in this part of the country during the time
    right before the Civil War (1850's). Now it is about nothing. IMHO, someone white was probably offended that our state song was about African-Americans
    and started the whole push to change it.

They will eventually remove the word "gay" also, if they have not already
    and I missed it.

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * "Mmmmmmmm.....doughnuts."
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
  • From Rob Mccart@1:2320/105 to GEORGE POPE on Sunday, January 02, 2022 02:54:00
    Write back, say where you are & tell us a bit of y'self, please? Let's wake
    >s echo up!

Hi there..

I monitor this conference in case anything shows up, have for around 30 years on various BBS suppliers over that time. Mike Powell in Kentucky kindly came
    to my rescue when I lost my access quite a while back and, since he supports
    it through eMail packets, it's been super convenient so I've never looked
    for another supplier since. Thank you Mike!

I live in Ontario, Canada, just North of Parry Sound, my home actually within the UNESCO Georgian Bay Biosphere Reserve, which comprises the world's largest freshwater archipelago, known locally as 'The Thirty Thousand Islands'..

Since I was 32 (1986) I've lived in a ratty cottage up here with only Cold running water (none in winter) although, other than over a 13 year period early on, I usually find a slightly more hospitable place to stay through the worst of the winter these days. In Canada.. Florida for 3 winters way back, '86 to '89, but not outside of Canada since.

I was married for a while but no kids, and what woman would put up with my lifestyle now?, although a few have 'threatened'.. B)

I haven't worked for anyone else since 1986, instead doing various things to make a living on my own over the years such as computer programming and
    repair, property management and investments, Day Trading for a while (I sold 2 houses when I left the city of Brampton near Toronto) and I've managed to pay the bills without working too many hours and on my own schedule ever since.

Not the warmest place in Canada up here, but it's been an unusally warm winter so far this year with less snow than usual..

---
    * SLMR Rob * Four Food Groups - Crust, Sauce, Cheese & Toppings
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to ROB MCCART on Tuesday, January 04, 2022 16:21:00
    I monitor this conference in case anything shows up, have for around 30 years on various BBS suppliers over that time. Mike Powell in Kentucky kindly came to my rescue when I lost my access quite a while back and, since he supports it through eMail packets, it's been super convenient so I've never looked for another supplier since. Thank you Mike!

You're welcome. I recently switched feeds for this echo. Not sure if it
    was that, or just coincidence, but traffic seemed to pick up after doing so.

Not the warmest place in Canada up here, but it's been an unusally warm winter
    so far this year with less snow than usual..

I rode the ferry across the mouth of Georgian Bay once, from Manitoulin
    Island to Tobermory. Lake Huron and the Bay were very angry that day. It
    was a beautiful area, though. Got to see the Lion's Head Lighthouse before
    it was destroyed by a storm a couple of years later. I think the community
    has since rebuilt it.

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * "I'm cold, and there are wolves after me!"-Granpa Simpson
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
  • From George Pope@1:153/757 to Mike Powell on Tuesday, January 04, 2022 10:04:04
    Yes, I am into sports. Where I hear your anthem most often is during
    IndyCar events. The ones in Toronto have been cancelled due to COVID recently, but they also used to play it (along with the US anthem) before
    the races in Detroit. I have not noticed them doing so lately.

I'm not so into sports, so had no idea things had gone so far. . . yipe!

Not surprised, but jeeze!

Normally it should play any time a Canadian competitor is involved, I'd think.

Maybe no Canadians any more in these events?

We used to have Indy Vancouver,. but they reclaimed the course & built condos instead. . .

I had you figured as a sports fan as you'd be unlikely to hear O Canada elsewise. . . :)

Now you've got me curious. (not always a bad thing, nor good)

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
  • From George Pope@1:153/757 to Mike Powell on Tuesday, January 04, 2022 10:14:04

Those are in short supply in younger generations these days.
    But the new generat8ions want to update it because it has tge line "in all
    thy
    sons' command" in it.
    I wonder how many women who actually serve are offended by that?

To join the forces is a commitment, so they'll understand that this is a relatively new occurrence. As always, it's those unaffected who take all the offense -- likely guys trying to use their mock offense as a springboard to charm the women who have no skinin the game or if they do, don't care, as they are just doing what their conscience demands.

In Kentucky, we had to change our state song. It made a reference to African-Americans that, while not as offensive as the "N" word, was no
    longer considered flattering. So they changed it to "people."

What was the word?

plight of African-Americans in this part of the country during the time
    right before the Civil War (1850's). Now it is about nothing. IMHO, someone white was probably offended that our state song was about African-Americans and started the whole push to change it.
    They will eventually remove the word "gay" also, if they have not already
    and I missed it.

I get it. They've neutrered it. It was a song extolling the history of your state, including how you've moved past a ceretain mindset. But how do you know you've moved past some thing, if somehow that something retroactively no longer existed?

Like the removal of the N-word from Tom Sawyer -- I say leave it in & have a deep discussion when, invariably, a student asks about the term.

But keep things age-appropriate -- now, a kid asks, "What's a blowjob?" & the teacher shows videos from xhamster & has them all practice on a banana(unless it's an up-country school, then. . eep!)

I was 10 & asked our science teacxher, "If millions of sperms ejaculate & race to the ovum, but only one fertilizes it, where do the rest go?"

He respected my question & appazrent understanding of the world by replying, "The woman's body has a way of getting rid of the excess."

Much better than if he'd said, "think ooze, & fighting over who must sleep in the wet spot." accompanied by cream pie video of the event in question.

It's an assault on our sensibilities all over by those who react before thinking.

My dad always said, "Engage brain before mouth." -- it works!

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
  • From Rob Mccart@1:2320/105 to MIKE POWELL on Wednesday, January 05, 2022 00:38:00
    In Kentucky, we had to change our state song. It made a reference to
    >African-Americans that, while not as offensive as the "N" word, was no
    >longer considered flattering. So they changed it to "people."

>plight of African-Americans in this part of the country during the time
    >right before the Civil War (1850's). Now it is about nothing.

Interesting.. I just looked up the 'before and after' lyrics and I see what
    you mean. I think most people have heard a bit of that song on various shows but rarely enough of it to get what's going on, it just comes across as a
    pride song for living in Kentucky. Something like Sweet Home Alabama.

The world is going strange.. A neighbour of mine wrote a book of his life's story a few years back and, when he went to publish it, he was told he had to remove lines from his book saying things like he and his friends would get together and have a gay old time..

The world has become far too sensitive. Intent should come into play, not just taking offence at the use of a single word.

Reminds me of something dumb.. Back in school once a teacher told us you could never properly use the word "ain't" in a sentence.. I put up my hand and told her I could.. We argued momentarily until she finally challenged me to do it, and I said, The teacher failed me for using the word "ain't" in a sentence.

Have I ever mentioned I wasn't all that popular with some of my teachers? B) ---
    * SLMR Rob * Not an optical illusion, but an incredible simulation
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to GEORGE POPE on Wednesday, January 05, 2022 16:15:00
    Normally it should play any time a Canadian competitor is involved, I'd think.

Maybe no Canadians any more in these events?

There is usually at least one. There have been as many as 3 or 4 at a
    time, I think. They play the anthems before the race, unlike the Olympics
    or Formula 1 where they play it for the winner and/or podium finishers.

So they usually play the anthem of the hosting country, which is almost
    always the USA. Current exceptions being Toronto, and at Detroit where
    they used to play both. They may have only played both during the time
    that there was no Toronto event.

We used to have Indy Vancouver,. but they reclaimed the course & built condos nstead. . .

Yes. I think it was good to have a race out there but, watching it on TV,
    it did not look like much of a competitive course most years. Reminds me
    of the Nashville race they had this year... several areas of the course
    were barely wide enough for one car to get through!

They also used to have races at Edmonton (airport circuit), Montreal (F1 circuit), and Trois-Riveres (street circuit, for the lower classes). There also used to be an oval race at a place called Sanair (I think that is spelled right!). Interesting track (I think it was more triangular than oval).
    Rick Mears had a bad crash there, and they quit racing there sometime shortly thereafter.

There may have been one other street racing venue that was only on the
    calendar a short time.

I had you figured as a sports fan as you'd be unlikely to hear O Canada elsew
    e. . . :)

Now you've got me curious. (not always a bad thing, nor good)

I have been in Canada for about a week once, but don't remember ever
    hearing the anthem. I *did* stop by a few museums, including one near a lighthouse where they were playing an old recording of Winston Churchill through a period-correct radio. You could tell it had tubes from how rich
    the sound was. :)

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * Arnold Layne, don't do it again!
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to ROB MCCART on Wednesday, January 05, 2022 16:23:00
    Interesting.. I just looked up the 'before and after' lyrics and I see what you mean. I think most people have heard a bit of that song on various shows but rarely enough of it to get what's going on, it just comes across as a pride song for living in Kentucky. Something like Sweet Home Alabama.

They likely hear it during the Kentucky Derby telecast. If they are a University of Kentucky football or basketball fan, they might hear it
    during those telecasts also.

I doubt most Kentuckians had ever read all the lyrics. They probably only
    new the "Weep no more my lady" part. :)

The world is going strange.. A neighbour of mine wrote a book of his life's story a few years back and, when he went to publish it, he was told he had to remove lines from his book saying things like he and his friends would get together and have a gay old time..

It sure is going strange. IIRC, the theme song from the Flintstones, a TV
    show from the 1960's, ended with "we'll have a gay old time!"

The world has become far too sensitive. Intent should come into play, not just
    taking offence at the use of a single word.

Context is important but is often ignored any more.

Reminds me of something dumb.. Back in school once a teacher told us you could
    never properly use the word "ain't" in a sentence.. I put up my hand and told her I could.. We argued momentarily until she finally challenged me to do it, and I said, The teacher failed me for using the word "ain't" in a sentence.

Have I ever mentioned I wasn't all that popular with some of my teachers? B)

That sounds familiar. I usually got on with teachers, but I had an English teacher one year in high school (the only year, the other three years were
    the same teacher!) who did not like me much. I went to school in "the
    city" but was raised by parents who came from smaller towns. I don't think
    she liked my accent or sense of humor!

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily...Emily...
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
  • From George Pope@1:153/757 to Mike Powell on Wednesday, January 05, 2022 17:47:34
    I have been in Canada for about a week once, but don't remember ever
    hearing the anthem. I *did* stop by a few museums, including one near a lighthouse where they were playing an old recording of Winston Churchill through a period-correct radio. You could tell it had tubes from how rich the sound was.

Buddy of mine has an old radio with the tubes -- he had to go to the Russian military last time he needed new tubes of the type needed! But he can tell the difference in sound you allude to (I can't -- tin ears)

It's his baby that even a divorcing ex couldn't touch. . :D

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
  • From Rob Mccart@1:2320/105 to MIKE POWELL on Thursday, January 06, 2022 00:45:00
    Not the warmest place in Canada up here, but it's been an unusally warm
    >> winter so far this year with less snow than usual..

I rode the ferry across the mouth of Georgian Bay once, from Manitoulin
    >Island to Tobermory. Lake Huron and the Bay were very angry that day. It
    >was a beautiful area, though. Got to see the Lion's Head Lighthouse before
    >it was destroyed by a storm a couple of years later. I think the community
    >has since rebuilt it.

That's a ways up North as well.. Being on Georgian Bay also puts me on Lake Huron too but the area I'm in, I am surrounded by large islands which block
    the worst of the storm effects on the water, sort of like being on a lake that's a mile long and half a mile across, so I rarely see waves much higher than about 3 feet in stormy weather, but travelling just a little ways further out, and on a relatively mild day, I've run into waves 6 feet high, and I'm
    not a Big Boat guy. Mostly I've had smaller, open, sail boats and canoes.

What can be interesting though is, being attached to a much larger body of water (G.B/Huron is about 23,000 sq miles), I have seen the water depth change by as much as 18 inches in less than an hour when a brisk breeze shifted.

---
    * SLMR Rob * Now, if you'll all just exit in an orderly manner
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to ROB MCCART on Thursday, January 06, 2022 16:31:00
    That's a ways up North as well..

Yes, I was working my way back South after completing my circle tour of
    Lake Superior. The farthest north I have been to date was a curve in the Trans-Canadian Highway, somewhere east of Nipigon, along the north shore of
    the lake.

Being on Georgian Bay also puts me on Lake
    Huron too but the area I'm in, I am surrounded by large islands which block the worst of the storm effects on the water, sort of like being on a lake that's a mile long and half a mile across, so I rarely see waves much higher than about 3 feet in stormy weather, but travelling just a little ways further
    out, and on a relatively mild day, I've run into waves 6 feet high, and I'm not a Big Boat guy. Mostly I've had smaller, open, sail boats and canoes.

I am not much of a boat guy, either, but I usually take at least one boat
    trip while I am up around the lakes. Odd enough, the two times I was on a ferry ride, the lakes in question (Huron, Erie) were throwing fits those
    days! :)

What can be interesting though is, being attached to a much larger body of water (G.B/Huron is about 23,000 sq miles), I have seen the water depth change
    by as much as 18 inches in less than an hour when a brisk breeze shifted.

Being on the second largest of the Great Lakes, I don't doubt it!

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * How can I escape this irresistable grasp?
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
  • From Rob Mccart@1:2320/105 to MIKE POWELL on Friday, January 07, 2022 01:31:00
    Reminds me of something dumb.. Back in school once a teacher told us you co
    >> never properly use the word "ain't" in a sentence.. I put up my hand and to
    >> her I could.. We argued momentarily until she finally challenged me to do i
    >> and I said, The teacher failed me for using the word "ain't" in a sentence.
    >>
    >> Have I ever mentioned I wasn't all that popular with some of my teachers?

That sounds familiar. I usually got on with teachers, but I had an English
    >teacher one year in high school (the only year, the other three years were
    >the same teacher!) who did not like me much. I went to school in "the
    >city" but was raised by parents who came from smaller towns. I don't think
    >she liked my accent or sense of humor!

I was saving to buy my first big nasty motorcycle when I was in Grade 9 (age 14) and wore Harley T-Shirts and studded jeans and such and my math teacher took an instant hate of me.. For some reason his dislike of me translated to him I was stupid. Much longer story short, one day he gave a Grade 13 math question to the class to try to solve. I did it in my head in a few minutes over lunch. The next day I got to class legitimately late and when asked, it turned out I was the only person who got the answer. He asked to see my work and I told him I did it in my head.. The bell went off just as he was about to explode.. apparently he filled 3 black boards showing the class how to do it. At the end of the year for some unknown reason he pulled me aside and said I don't know how you passed math this year but you'll never do it next year..

Nothing like encouragement from your teachers..

Much longer story totally truncated, Grade 10.. I hated the LONG algebra questions we got for homework and figured there had to be an easier way, so I spent one Sunday looking over the questions backwards and forwards and figured out a 'shortcut' to get the answers.. tested out as 100% reliable on multiple questions. Got caught by my new math teacher using that one day and he asked
    me who showed me how to do that.. I made it up!.. So he gave me a much more complex question and told me to do it.. I puzzled over it for 30 seconds or so and came up with the correct answer.. He informed me what I had just done was second year university level calculus.

I was mildly miffed that I hadn't actually invented something new..

Okay.. the punch line (if you're still awake). That year my old math teacher was transferred into my new school as the new head of the math department.
    He ran into me walking down the hall talking with my new math teacher and rather snidely asked him how I was doing in math THIS year..

I wish we'd had smart phones back then so I could have recorded his reaction
    to what my teacher told him.. Sometimes you do get even.. B)

---
    * SLMR Rob * ... Clean mind, clean body: take your pick
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to ROB MCCART on Friday, January 07, 2022 17:27:00
    I wish we'd had smart phones back then so I could have recorded his reaction to what my teacher told him.. Sometimes you do get even.. B)

Thanks, I got a lot of laughs out of that. I think I had a teacher or two
    who were suprised at what I was able to do later on, but it sure would not
    have been at calculus! :)

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * "Mmmmmmmm.....bacon..."
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
  • From Rob Mccart@1:2320/105 to MIKE POWELL on Saturday, January 08, 2022 00:17:00
    What can be interesting though is, being attached to a much larger body of
    >> water (G.B/Huron is about 23,000 sq miles), I have seen the water depth cha
    >> by as much as 18 inches in less than an hour when a brisk breeze shifted.

Being on the second largest of the Great Lakes, I don't doubt it!

We also share the water level with Lake Michigan so something that effects one effect both. The total surface area is closer to 45,300 sq. miles.

This makes it interesting to contemplate how many cubic miles of water are involved when the water level drops or goes up by a foot or two in one year.

---
    * SLMR Rob * Innuendo: an Italian suppository
  • From Rob Mccart@1:2320/105 to MIKE POWELL on Sunday, January 09, 2022 02:00:00
    Thanks, I got a lot of laughs out of that. I think I had a teacher or two
    >who were suprised at what I was able to do later on, but it sure would not
    >have been at calculus! :)

I managed fairly well in school considering how much I hated it..

A 'friend' once burned my hand with his bunsen burner and when I yelped, the Chemistry teacher gave ME heck for disturbing those around me.. "You may be able to screw around and get 80's but those around you can't so..."

When our SAT tests came up (University entance exams?) I was thrilled because everyone who worked after school wanted to get time off to study and take sample tests and meet with tutors.. and that meant I got almost unlimited overtime at the grocery store I worked part time in. My friends all said I was crazy for not studying like crazy for the SAT's but, in the end, I didn't know anyone personally who scored as high as I had (a 94 percentile)..
    Sorry but there's no direct way to convert from our system to the USA system.

I also, many years later, took a very expensive ($300) I.Q. test for a large company who wanted to hire me for a managerial position. In the end, much to the disappointment of the district supervisor doing the hiring, the head
    office forced him to promote someone from within.. but just for fun he showed me the results from the I.Q and Psych tests I took over 3 or 4 hours that day and their main comments were that I'd have to work on not getting too close to the employees, I was too 'friendly' and that, given the scores I attained in the math and science portion of the tests, they highly doubted I could have managed that without cheating. Since the guy hiring me was sitting there watching me take the test he knew I hadn't had any chance to cheat so it was all sort of a joke to us.

---
    * SLMR Rob * Clones are people two
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to ROB MCCART on Sunday, January 09, 2022 10:51:00
    A 'friend' once burned my hand with his bunsen burner and when I yelped, the Chemistry teacher gave ME heck for disturbing those around me.. "You may be able to screw around and get 80's but those around you can't so..."

My freshman year in college, I was in an Astronomy lab with a guy I knew
    from high school and a friend of his. We got a similar lecture (although
    more friendly than stern) from the TA one evening. We tried to tone it
    down after that.

When our SAT tests came up (University entance exams?) I was thrilled because everyone who worked after school wanted to get time off to study and take sample tests and meet with tutors.. and that meant I got almost unlimited overtime at the grocery store I worked part time in. My friends all said I was
    crazy for not studying like crazy for the SAT's but, in the end, I didn't know
    anyone personally who scored as high as I had (a 94 percentile)..
    Sorry but there's no direct way to convert from our system to the USA system.

It made sense to me. We have the SAT and the ACT. Which one you take
    depends on which universities you are considering. Most kids I knew took
    both, but I only took the ACT. Those returned numeric scores, I think the highest you could get on the SAT was 1600 and the ACT was 33 or 34. We also had aptitude testing throughout primary and secondary school that returned percentile numbers. I always did pretty well on those.

I also, many years later, took a very expensive ($300) I.Q. test for a large company who wanted to hire me for a managerial position. In the end, much to the disappointment of the district supervisor doing the hiring, the head office forced him to promote someone from within.. but just for fun he showed me the results from the I.Q and Psych tests I took over 3 or 4 hours that day and their main comments were that I'd have to work on not getting too close to
    the employees, I was too 'friendly' and that, given the scores I attained in the math and science portion of the tests, they highly doubted I could have managed that without cheating. Since the guy hiring me was sitting there watching me take the test he knew I hadn't had any chance to cheat so it was all sort of a joke to us.

When I was between jobs, in addition to taking the max number of public
    service exams allowed (I scored high enough they had to interview me for multiple jobs, and I eventually got hired off of the results of one of
    them), I also worked briefly for a temp agency. There was one place they thought I would work well in. I was reading all of the rules and realized whatever company it was, I was going to have to dress like an Amish person
    to work there. Seriously! For women, the dress code even worse.

There were several other things I did not like about it, so I was not too disappointed when I did not pass the test for that one. I ran out of time,
    so they wanted me to take it again, untimed. By then, I had several leads going with the state so I intentionally flunked it. :)

I never found out what company it was.

* SLMR 2.1a * Gimme three chili dogs and a malt.
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
  • From Rob Mccart@1:2320/105 to MIKE POWELL on Tuesday, January 11, 2022 00:48:00
    My friends all said I was
    >> crazy for not studying like crazy for the SAT's but, in the end, I didn't k
    >> anyone personally who scored as high as I had (a 94 percentile)..
    >> Sorry but there's no direct way to convert from our system to the USA syste

It made sense to me. We have the SAT and the ACT. Which one you take
    >depends on which universities you are considering. Most kids I knew took
    >both, but I only took the ACT. Those returned numeric scores, I think the
    >highest you could get on the SAT was 1600 and the ACT was 33 or 34. We also
    >had aptitude testing throughout primary and secondary school that returned
    >percentile numbers. I always did pretty well on those.

Yes, I'm used to seeing that '1600' score on American TV and such. Ours tends to vary a bit year to year because a 94 percentile here means that you got a better score than 93% of the people who took the same test. That might not be so impressive on a particularly stupid year.. B)

When I was between jobs, in addition to taking the max number of public
    >service exams allowed

I once applied to work for Canada Post thinking a well paid job with good benefits and not so difficult to do sounded pretty good.
    I got a letter back from them later saying I had scored too high on the exams and if they gave me a job I likely wouldn't stay there for long.

Similarly, I applied to the Police at one point and was told I was 'too small' to qualify for the job. Ignoring the fact that I was bigger and heavier than they required for women recruits, I was able to lift more than my own weight over my head and almost double my weight off the ground.. oh, and I'm 6 feet tall and at the time weighed about 145 lbs.

---
    * SLMR Rob * Hey, I've finally figured it out - I understand women!