• Welp

From T.J. Mcmillen@1:129/305 to All on Tuesday, January 25, 2022 19:55:10
    Welp. I did it. 152 Shareware CDs ONLINE. Over 800,000 files to download from here.

NOW my issue is, EZ-ROM 2.10f only supports 152 Discs. 2.20 and higher support 230 I think, BUT I cannot find anyone that can patch it to run with the RTE error. It runs fine in DOSBOX, but under real hardware it dies with RTE200 and nothing I have will patch it. I've uncompressed it, you name it. Anyone have any ideas? No big issue, but would like to keep my options open.

... Ancient Evil In Training

--- Renegade v1.30r1/Exp
    * Origin: The Titantic BBS Telnet - ttb.rgbbs.info (1:129/305)
  • From Sean Dennis@1:18/200 to T.J. Mcmillen on Wednesday, January 26, 2022 01:46:06
    T.J. Mcmillen wrote to All <=-

NOW my issue is, EZ-ROM 2.10f only supports 152 Discs. 2.20 and higher support 230 I think, BUT I cannot find anyone that can patch it
    to run with the RTE error. It runs fine in DOSBOX, but under real hardware it dies with RTE200 and nothing I have will patch it. I've uncompressed it, you name it. Anyone have any ideas? No big issue,
    but would like to keep my options open.

What did you patch it with? I'm curious to know if the EXE is encrypted.

-- Sean

... Never go to bed with anybody crazier than you are.
    ___ MultiMail/FreeBSD v0.52

--- Maximus/2 3.01
    * Origin: Outpost BBS (1:18/200)
  • From T.J. Mcmillen@1:129/305 to Sean Dennis on Wednesday, January 26, 2022 09:22:58
    What did you patch it with? I'm curious to know if the EXE is encrypted.

You name it, I've done it. PATCHCRT, PENT, TPPATCH, etc. etc. If you find a way for EZ-ROM v2.20b let me know. Best I can do is 2.10f but it has the 152 Disc limit. 2.2b goes to 230 discs. ;)

... If a program is useless, it will have to be documented.

--- Renegade v1.30r1/Exp
  • From mark lewis@1:3634/12.73 to T.J. Mcmillen on Wednesday, January 26, 2022 11:17:46
    On 2022 Jan 26 09:22:58, you wrote to Sean Dennis:

What did you patch it with? I'm curious to know if the EXE is
    encrypted.

You name it, I've done it. PATCHCRT, PENT, TPPATCH, etc. etc. If you find a way for EZ-ROM v2.20b let me know. Best I can do is 2.10f but
    it has the 152 Disc limit. 2.2b goes to 230 discs. ;)

what language is that ez-rom program written in? i think the patch tools you list above are all for patching Turbo Pascal 6 and Borland Pascal 6 compiled code... if ez-rom is written in C, basic, or something else, those tools likely won't work...

)\/(ark

"The soul of a small kitten in the body of a mighty dragon. Look on my majesty, ye mighty, and despair! Or bring me catnip. Your choice. Oooh, a shiny thing!"
    ... Shut up and eat your Durian (in memory of Stephen Ceideburg)
    ---
    * Origin: (1:3634/12.73)
  • From Sean Dennis@1:18/200 to T.J. Mcmillen on Wednesday, January 26, 2022 11:23:04
    T.J. Mcmillen wrote to Sean Dennis <=-

You name it, I've done it. PATCHCRT, PENT, TPPATCH, etc. etc. If you find a way for EZ-ROM v2.20b let me know. Best I can do is 2.10f but
    it has the 152 Disc limit. 2.2b goes to 230 discs. ;)

That usually means the EXE is encrypted. Have you thought about running a
    RTE 200 TSR for that program? Might at least be as temporary fix.

Have you heard of DreamROM by Andy Stewart? I have it here somewhere and it works quite well.

I gave up on having a big filebase. No one ever used it so I don't bother
    with that anymore. I probably have about 40GB (possibly more) of files I
    could bring online but I won't.

-- Sean

... Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. - Mae West ___ MultiMail/FreeBSD v0.52

--- Maximus/2 3.01
    * Origin: Outpost BBS (1:18/200)
  • From T.J. Mcmillen@1:129/305 to Mark Lewis on Wednesday, January 26, 2022 14:36:54
    what language is that ez-rom program written in? i think the patch tools y list above are all for patching Turbo Pascal 6 and Borland Pascal 6 compil code... if ez-rom is written in C, basic, or something else, those tools likely won't work...

The patches worked on 2.10f, but not in 2.20 .... and the author says nothing about a total rewrite in something else from version 2.1 to 2.2. (which I would've assumed to be a v3 then if it was total rewrite.

... Smith & Wesson: The original point-and-click interface.

--- Renegade v1.30r1/Exp
  • From T.J. Mcmillen@1:129/305 to Sean Dennis on Wednesday, January 26, 2022 14:40:30
    That usually means the EXE is encrypted. Have you thought about running a RTE 200 TSR for that program? Might at least be as temporary fix.

Yeah I did, but don't want to bother with that kinda hack on it. It sometimes fails multiple times before it loads with it.

Have you heard of DreamROM by Andy Stewart? I have it here somewhere and works quite well.

Yeah, I registered it back in 1995. I also registered ROMBRAIN, but with their database approach it was too hard to get anymore than 30 or so discs online (being they are on the hard drive) .... with EZ-ROM, it's quick and dirty with text and path, boom, done. I would've loved to stay with ROMBRAIN or (well, I can't anyone with DreamROM since it doesn't use a FOSSIL), but yeah I have them both paid for .... for years now. :)

I gave up on having a big filebase. No one ever used it so I don't bother with that anymore. I probably have about 40GB (possibly more) of files I could bring online but I won't.

I just like having it when I get a bug up my ass and I go searching in the door for something say "bbslist program" .... and it'll blow thru all the discs and I'll know if I have something I wanna try or not in a few seconds. Saves me some looking all over the web and finding a ton of dead links.

Gotta keep my old rep of having the biggest file BBS in PA. ;)

... There is no wealth but life. -- John Ruskin

--- Renegade v1.30r1/Exp
  • From Sean Dennis@1:18/200 to T.J. Mcmillen on Wednesday, January 26, 2022 18:07:50
    Hello T.J.,

Wednesday January 26 2022 14:40, you wrote to me:

to stay with ROMBRAIN or (well, I can't anyone with DreamROM since it doesn't use a FOSSIL), but yeah I have them both paid for .... for
    years now. :)

I have the last version of DreamROM that Andy put out that does support a FOSSIL driver. If you want it, let me know.

I just like having it when I get a bug up my ass and I go searching in
    the door for something say "bbslist program" .... and it'll blow thru
    all the discs and I'll know if I have something I wanna try or not in
    a few seconds. Saves me some looking all over the web and finding a
    ton of dead links.

I can understand that.

Speaking of files, I created a mirror of Janis Kracht's filegate.net website. It's a 30GB .tgz file. Want a copy? Tomorrow I'll be setting up my FTP server on my FreeBSD box to handle that as I have had at least a dozen requests. Glad I don't have a data cap on my Internet connection.

-- Sean

... A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    --- GoldED/2 3.0.1
    * Origin: Outpost BBS Sysop Console (1:18/200)
  • From Nick Andre@1:229/426 to T.J. Mcmillen on Wednesday, January 26, 2022 18:36:32
    On 26 Jan 22 14:40:30, T.J. Mcmillen said the following to Sean Dennis:

I have "the" largest Usenet feed on my board, possibly all of Fidonet, to
    the point where I modified both Renegade and D'Bridge to handle large
    volumes of Echomail. Rescanned many amusing classics like Alt.Suicide.Holiday and Alt.Aol-Sucks and all the American politics groups since 2003...

Only maybe four or five people in the last decade actually use it.

A rep is no good if nobody cares...

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
    * Origin: Joey, do you like movies about gladiators? (1:229/426)
  • From T.J. Mcmillen@1:129/305 to Sean Dennis on Wednesday, January 26, 2022 19:14:31
    I have the last version of DreamROM that Andy put out that does support a FOSSIL driver. If you want it, let me know.

1.5 beta 2? I have that ... from what I remember it doesn't. But yeah send it over if it's not that beta, then I have it.

... If this isn't war, why is CNN massing on the border?

--- Renegade v1.30r1/Exp
  • From T.J. Mcmillen@1:129/305 to Nick Andre on Wednesday, January 26, 2022 19:15:04

I care. <G>

... Slaying foul maidens, rescuing fair dragons.

--- Renegade v1.30r1/Exp
  • From Nick Andre@1:229/426 to T.J. Mcmillen on Wednesday, January 26, 2022 19:20:03
    On 26 Jan 22 19:15:04, T.J. Mcmillen said the following to Nick Andre:

I care. <G>

I'm sure I'd be the luckiest guy in the world if that did anything for me.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
    * Origin: Joey, do you like movies about gladiators? (1:229/426)
  • From Gary Ailes@1:129/328 to T.J. Mcmillen on Wednesday, January 26, 2022 15:56:52
    On 25 Jan 2022, T.J. Mcmillen said the following...

Welp. I did it. 152 Shareware CDs ONLINE. Over 800,000 files to download from here.

NOW my issue is, EZ-ROM 2.10f only supports 152 Discs. 2.20 and higher support 230 I think, BUT I cannot find anyone that can patch it
    to run with the RTE error. It runs fine in DOSBOX, but under real hardware it dies with RTE200 and nothing I have will patch it. I've uncompressed it, you name it. Anyone have any ideas? No big issue,
    but would like to keep my options open.

I coudn't get EZrom to work on my ssytem and just copied the files to the HDD.

╓▲╖ HSM -aka- Gary ╓▲╖
    ◄╟─║ -http- Web.BBSGameTime.Com -telnet- ║─╢►
    ╙▼╙─────────────────────────────────────╜▼╜

... Computers all wait at the same speed!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/25 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: BBS GameTime - web.BBSGameTime.com:23 (1:129/328)
  • From Kurt Weiske@1:218/700 to Sean Dennis on Thursday, January 27, 2022 07:09:00
    Sean Dennis wrote to T.J. Mcmillen <=-

I gave up on having a big filebase. No one ever used it so I don't
    bother with that anymore. I probably have about 40GB (possibly more)
    of files I could bring online but I won't.

I keep around some of the old P/H/A/C files, t-files from a couple of groups
    I knew, and zines from the 90s, but it feels pointless to add anything new
    to them, since you can find most anything on the internet.

... THE HEXAGONS OF AIM
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
    * Origin: http://realitycheckbbs.org | tomorrow's retro tech (1:218/700)