• Re: NTVDM project update

From Rob Swindell@1:103/705 to MIKE EHLERT on Wednesday, December 01, 2021 17:27:41
    Re: Re: NTVDM project update
    By: MIKE EHLERT to NICK ANDRE on Fri Jul 24 2020 08:14 pm

Hi Nick,

It's been a few months since I posted, but I wanted to let you know I resumed working on NetFoss64 again and put out beta 0.04 yesterday which runs quite a bit faster then the previous versions. You can download it
    from https://pcmicro.com/netfoss/download.html

A new version of NTVDMx64 released last month, and there is several
    bugfixes since then on github but this months binarys have not been
    added to the Columbia U website yet.

Thanks for your work with the NTVDMx64 guys. I just recently worked on the support for NTVDMx64 in Synchronet for Windows and I'm sure I benefited from your previous experience with and feedback to the devs of this awesome "tool" as I found the integration to be pretty easy.

The only thing I really *had* to change in SBBSEXEC.DLL (still just a 32-bit DLL) was to include an "init routine" (like I used to before Windows Vista) and have dosxtrn.exe (my 16-bit component) pass the name of the "init routine" in DI when calling RegisterModule(). These changes only appear to be necessary because NTVDMx64 is based on an older version of NTVDM which had the "init routine" requirement. I'm doing this conditionally (only when run in WOW64), so I didn't need separate .exe or .dll for 64-bit systems.

Hopefully this feedback might help simplify your implementation in netfoss as well.

Thanks again,
    --
    digital man

Sling Blade quote #17:
    Charles Bushman: A shovel just makes too goddamned much racket.
    Norco, CA WX: 72.1°F, 26.0% humidity, 4 mph N wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)