• polling

From Luc McCarragher@1:396/4 to All on Sunday, April 03, 2022 22:43:54
    From: nospam.Luc.McCarragher@f206.n229.z1.fidonet.org (Luc McCarragher)

HI

They have a way to limit incoming polling
    One of my downlink poll Every 8 minutes, i ask him to poll every hours!!
    have a control in mystic to accept poll every 60 minutes not less?

thx

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
    * Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)
  • From g00r00@1:396/4 to All on Sunday, April 03, 2022 23:44:36

They have a way to limit incoming polling
    One of my downlink poll Every 8 minutes, i ask him to poll every hours!! have a control in mystic to accept poll every 60 minutes not less?

There is not really any way you can stop a client from trying to connect as often as they want to your server unless you ban them at the network level.

Mystic can automatically ban an IP after a certain number of attempts within a time window, but that still doesn't stop them from connecting it will just refuse to service them.

I suppose I could add a specific feature to BINKP server that gives them an "BUSY" with a message that they can only connect X many times per Y seconds. If
    they are within those limits it would give them mail, if they were not within those limits it would give them a message and disconnect.

But I wonder if there is really a point to do that since at that point they're already connected to you anyway. I am open to suggestions as to whether or not
    such a feature would be worth it.

.... Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things

• From Shaun Buzza@1:396/4 to All on Monday, April 04, 2022 00:10:46
    From: nospam.Shaun.Buzza@f110.n229.z1.fidonet.org (Shaun Buzza)

Mystic can automatically ban an IP after a certain number of attempts within a time window, but that still doesn't stop them from connecting
    it will just refuse to service them.

I suppose I could add a specific feature to BINKP server that gives them an "BUSY" with a message that they can only connect X many times per Y seconds. If they are within those limits it would give them mail, if
    they were not within those limits it would give them a message and disconnect.

But I wonder if there is really a point to do that since at that point they're already connected to you anyway. I am open to suggestions as to whether or not such a feature would be worth it.

Personally, I don't think ol' Binky is as big a problem as port-trolling. After
    all, one can always use the 'autoban' option in the BinkP server, too!

But, I also think that this might be a good idea, for when PiBBS is too busy grinding her nightly maintenance...after all, there are other reasons why a particular BBS might be busy...

Thanks for listening to us!

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

.... If you can't make it good, make it LOOK good. -Bill Gates.

• From g00r00@1:396/4 to All on Monday, April 04, 2022 02:01:12

Also, can you convey the importance of 2xSai to your opponent, sir? I
    know what I'm seeing in Netrunner, because I helped create it. And SyncroTERM doesn't even understand the meaning!

Ah, I see you are a man of culture! ;)

You'd be surprised that some people have complained to me about the scaling and
    cited it for a reason why they didn't like NetRunner. I tried to explain to them that if they disabled everything that makes NetRunner cool then it'd be the blurry mess that they're used to!

I guess its a matter of preference, but I certainly appreciate it just as you seem to.

To be honest NetRunner 2 was more of a "proof of concept" for me, and I wish I had more time to really keep up on Mystic and NetRunner these days. I give the
    focus more to Mystic and NetRunner gets neglected.

I would say this... As we get more and more common with higher resolutions like
    2k/4k it becomes a much more serious issue, and I am confident you'll get what you want eventually!

.... Honk if you love peace and quiet!

• From Shaun Buzza@1:396/4 to All on Monday, April 04, 2022 01:44:27

On 03 Apr 2022, Shaun Buzza said the following...

Also, can you convey the importance of 2xSai to your opponent, sir? I know what
    I'm seeing in Netrunner, because I helped create it. And SyncroTERM doesn't even understand the meaning!

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

.... Press SPACEBAR once to abort, or twice to save changes

• From g00r00@1:396/4 to All on Monday, April 04, 2022 01:20:45

But, I also think that this might be a good idea, for when PiBBS is too busy grinding her nightly maintenance...after all, there are other
    reasons why a particular BBS might be busy...

Agreed that this type of BUSY event would be pretty useful if you want to fully
    automate some things that require you to take the servers down.

I was experimenting with something like this before but what I struggled with was exactly how I should handle existing connections to those servers. Handling new connections during a defined maint window shouldn't be too hard but figuring out the existing connections is a little more tricky.

.... Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

• From Shaun Buzza@1:396/4 to All on Monday, April 04, 2022 02:52:46

Also, can you convey the importance of 2xSai to your opponent, sir? I know what I'm seeing in Netrunner, because I helped create it. And SyncroTERM doesn't even understand the meaning!

Ah, I see you are a man of culture! ;)

Thank you! And you, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!

You'd be surprised that some people have complained to me about the scaling and cited it for a reason why they didn't like NetRunner. I
    tried to explain to them that if they disabled everything that makes NetRunner cool then it'd be the blurry mess that they're used to!

I refuse to disobey my God by describing anyone else as stupid...so I can't say
    anything...

Honestly, until this week, I had never tried NetRunner. And that was *my* mistake! I blame you, and your damned upgrade, btw. (o_-)

I guess its a matter of preference, but I certainly appreciate it just
    as you seem to.

It really is a matter of preference, sir. Some people insist on liking the old-school 'Magic Board' feel. I am not one of these people. I will always hate
    jagged lines.

Please! Take every word I've just said with as many grains of salt as your doctor will allow! I am just one person, after all!

But...I wouldn't have any other base but Mystic.

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

.... Kilometers are shorter than miles. Save gas, take your trip in kilometers

• From Shaun Buzza@1:396/4 to All on Monday, April 04, 2022 02:37:42

Agreed that this type of BUSY event would be pretty useful if you want
    to fully automate some things that require you to take the servers down.

I was experimenting with something like this before but what I struggled with was exactly how I should handle existing connections to those servers.

Handling new connections during a defined maint window shouldn't be too
    hard but figuring out the existing connections is a little more tricky.

Stop thinking so hard sir! (@_@)
    Smoke a doob, or somethin'!

Surely, you're at least as intelligent as I am? Look again! Don't expect every connection to occur at the same time!

Sorry, and thank you for listening.

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

.... Intelligence tests are biased toward the literate.

• From Shaun Buzza@1:396/4 to All on Monday, April 04, 2022 03:48:18

To be honest NetRunner 2 was more of a "proof of concept" for me, and I wish I had more time to really keep up on Mystic and NetRunner these
    days. I give the focus more to Mystic and NetRunner gets neglected.

YOU JUST SHUT YOUR DIRTY LITTLE MOUTH, sir! (@_@)

On the coder side, I know exactly what you mean. On the consumer side, GO TO HELL! WTF! GIMME SHINIES!

Trust me. NR2 is > SnarkoTERM.

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

.... 24 hours in a day and 24 beers in a case. Hmmmm...